Old 01-15-2008, 05:03 PM   #16  

Height: 5'8

Michelle,

I like your friend's idea of rewards with the money he used to spend smoking. I have mini-rewards for weight loss (I'm a non-smoker). Also, for anyone who's trying to quit, one of my relatives who had tried numerous times for decades seems to be doing well with Chantix.

Your body's been through a lot with both the pregnancy & the quitting smoking. Don't worry about losing right away, just focus on the eating well & exercising. The rest will come eventually if you do that. Good luck & let us know how you're hanging in there.

Last edited by nylisa; 01-15-2008 at 05:04 PM.
nylisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:12 PM   #17  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

There is nothing positive about smoking, but there are a whole lot of negative things. I have premature aging and I will always have to be concerned about developing lung cancer... more so than the average person who has never smoked and not been exposed to long term second hand smoke. Did you know there is no foolproof way of detecting lung cancer? You can have it and no know until it is in the advanced stages. Why gamble with your life? Why take a chance of leaving your children early? I smoked for 25 years and was up to 1 1/2 packs a day. And, guess what? I was fat and a smoker!

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 01-15-2008 at 06:38 PM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #18  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

I am currently fat AND a smoker too....I really don't think smoking curbs appetite.
They go hand in hand. Eat, smoke, eat, smoke..and so on!
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:58 PM   #19  
FatCat

S/C/G: 270/244/135

Height: 5'2

I could show you a picture of my mother in law if that will help. She's a 50 year smoker. She weighs about 105. She looks like Skeletor. Do you want to look like Skeletor?
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:27 PM   #20  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

And if the health concerns are not enough to deter anyone, which they should be!!!--think about the expense. A pack a day--for a month--how much money is that? And how many better things could you buy?

You might as well just put some money in a pile and set it on fire and watch it go up in smoke that way.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:38 AM   #21  

Um Actually not trying too defend smoking or anything, but in a recent article I read that smoking actually curves the appitite,and burns an extra 200 calories a day!HOWEVER smoking is very bad for you...

For instance, Let's say you do start smoking again. And You walk 3 miles everyday now. If you start smoking again, those 3 miles will be harder because you won't be able to breath. So, yes it does burn extra calories,it does curve the appitite, but it also stops many people from excerising because they can't breath or move correctly. Stopping Excerise= what? Slow down on weight loss, so in the end you're further ahead chewing sugarless gum all day long then you are smoking a pack of cigs a day.

I see you've already made your desicion, and it's a very good one. You're trying to stop a bad habit now, you don't want to begin a new one! But I'm sure you already know that, and knew that when you posted it. You just wanted other peoples opioion, (NOT CRITISM)

I wish you luck on your diet,and I am glad that you're not going to smoke!
seraphimbeauty21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #22  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Adding a destructive habit to obesity is definitely not a solution.

I smoked a pack a day for 15 years. I didn't start losing weight until I quit smoking and committed myself to a healthier overall lifestyle - not just a reduction in pounds.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 05:39 AM   #23  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Oh, and here's a resource for quitting smoking that really helped me - it's like the 3FC for quitters!

Here are my stats from that website.

Your Quit Date is: 1/5/2003 12:00:00 PM
Time Smoke-Free: 1836 days, 17 hours, 39 minutes and 52 seconds
Cigarettes NOT smoked: 36735
Lifetime Saved: 9 months, 10 days, 14 hours
Money Saved: $6,429.50

And add to that, over 30 lbs. gone. Hope this is encouraging!

Last edited by 3Beans; 01-16-2008 at 05:43 AM.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #24  
On my way...

S/C/G: 255/240/150

Height: 5'7

NO!!!!!!!! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! That is like trading one unhealthy thing for another one. You may not have high blood pressure or diabetes but you will have lung cancer. NO NO NO!!!!
dek6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:42 PM   #25  
Expecting baby #1! 9/7/09

S/C/G: 320.2/273.2/160

Height: 5'6"

Default I just quit too!

I just quit and have recently been thinking that maybe I picked the worst time to quit (while trying to lose weight). I decided that I want to be healthy, then I need to lose the weight and the smoking! It may seem like a good idea now, but think about what would happen if you lost all your weight and then ended up sick from smoking? You would've done all that work and you wouldn't be able to enjoy it because you are too sick! We are trying to be healthy, right? Then no smoking!!
blueyedlvrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #26  

NO!! If you need some motivation see if The Bodies exhibit is coming to your area and Go! It is amazing all together...worth the $40 bucks. But they have a pretty pink set of ACTUAL lungs and then they have a smoker's lungs..sorry tmi..But they look like they have gross black MOLD growing all over the lungs..hardly any pink tissue was left. It really makes you feel creepy. I was not to surprised to see that they had placed a huge clear container box beside the moldly lungs, of which to place your cigarettes in. It was over half full.
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

I don't smoke and will never smoke to lose weight. The main purpose of losing weight is to improve your overall health. It absolutely makes no sense to make yourself unhealthy by taking up smoking. Besides, smoking does not help you lose weight. The smokers who I know and work with are all very overweight except one.
NWGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 03:41 AM   #28  

If you gave up once you would be crazy to start smoking again, even if you maintain or lose a 1lb a week it’s better than way than smoking, thing of your baby and that risk of cancer… I have an uncle who has lung cancer dx in November and has six months to live… been a smoker all his life!
Moosegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #29  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

I have a MA degree in psychology--- during grad school we took a class on addictions and we learned that although people think that they should handle one addiction at a time and get over it, it's actually untrue.

The best way to get over multiple addictions (food and smoking) is to quit at the SAME time and handle them together. Oftentimes, our addictions are tied in with one another. Case in Point--- my mother stopped smoking the second she learned about 2ndhand smoke when we were kids. But before that when we'd go out to dinner, she would literally have a fork in one hand, cig in the other. She said that after quitting smoking, food and eating were less enjoyable b/c they were SOOOO linked in her head with going together.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote