Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 AM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hello, chickies! I just wanted to add that those behaviors--planning the sugar binge, going out to "pick up a few things," hiding the wrappers, going to different stores--are exactly what alcoholics do. It just shows the addiction for what it truly is--an addiction! The only way to break the pattern is to stop it entirely, IMO. That doesn't mean never a donut, never again--but as Trazey34 said, some foods have to be in the "maybe some day" category for now.

No one ever died because she or he didn't eat a donut...

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:37 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I am so glad there are other addicts out there like me! I felt I was insane when I left that store, and I had to take Tylenol when I got home. I did an hour and a half of exercise last night because I felt so out of control, like i might devour hubby's ice cream in the middle of the night. Once I got into the workout and a movie on TV it started to ease, and at the end I felt the cravings were gone, it was safe to stop exercising and go to bed.

Today...WOW! I feel so proud of myself. I have never been able to not give into these urges in the past, and this just shows me it is possible, I actually CAN do it! Sugar is a "maybe someday" food...but honestly I don't ever see myself being able to eat just a little of that, it is a serious addiction...I just didn't realize the extent of it until last night. it did feel good to go back into the house and not have to make sure I hid all the packaging, or sneak it deep into the trash can later on. But that angry feeling that I didn't get what I wanted was hard to deal with, I was like a baby who needed to throw a temper tantrum but it's been replaced with happy pride today.

Grapes are a really good idea...and the blueberries really did help, they were sweet enough and I know they are good for me. The kids and I finished them off this morning putting them in our yogurt and cereal :
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #18  

Height: 5'8"

Wow...you were two days on your program and made it through that like a champ! I hope you are very proud of yourself as you should be....baby steps...

I, too, need to avoid the store when I am stressed & starving...one hint is to try eating a few (very few) nuts or drinking a large glass of water to help with the "starving" family.

best of luck to you, but I don't think you will need it - you are already successful!
Tonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 12:17 PM   #19  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Congratulations on beating this sugar temptation! I am addicted to sugary starchy foods. Yes, it does get easier. Every time you beat the temptation and as you lose more and more weight, your self confidence and willpower gets stronger and stronger. I have noticed that I tend to crave the sugary starchy foods more when I'm tired and stressed. I've read that these foods do serve as mood enhancers and may be why we tend to gravitate towards them at stressful times. Being aware of my triggers does help me to plan ahead and avoid temptation when I'm feeling weak. Also, I have never lost my taste for these things. The thought of a vanilla milkshake, a piece of cheesecake or a Krispy Kreme doughnut still sounds incredibly yummy to me. One bite and I just might be a goner.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I am making dinner and realized we needed something I thought I had...hubby said "run to the store" and I said "no, you go this time." He didn't put up a fight and is off right now. I am not feeling tempted tonight, but didn't want to even walk in the store again. He is good about just getting what he's after and coming right back, so it is just better for him to go.

I weigh in tomorrow morning...instead of dreading it, for once I can't wait!
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:53 PM   #21  

wow i just wanted to extend a big BRAVO TO YOU!!! you did great! i, too, have had those "conversations" with myself. they are awful and you do feel like you're going crazy. so many times in the past i've given in and grabbed XYZ and then hurriedly ate it in the car. this sneak eating in the car after grocery shopping is a hard demon to break. but i tell myself, it's a habit. habits can be broken. i won't starve if i don't eat on the way home from the grocery store - sheesh!!!

i will remember your story the next time in a fight with myself. i will also remember that if i have to have something, blueberries would be a really healthy alternative!!!

thanks for sharing your success!!! it's important for me to know that others do succeed at this.

Last edited by angeline; 12-02-2007 at 04:54 PM. Reason: clarification
angeline is offline   Reply With Quote