Old 09-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #16  

Height: 5'5"

I agree. This whole thing can be so confusing, and only becomes more confusing when you add in the differing opinions from all of the "experts." Yet, so many people lose weight on so many different programs. I know people who have lost weight on low-fat / high-sugar diets and low-carb / high-fat diets - two entirely opposite approaches if I've ever seen them. The point I'm making here is that there is no absolute right and wrong way to do this.

So, I agree with BattleAxe. Worry about the food first and foremost, as that will make the most difference right away. Add in the exercise where you can - and, BTW, congrats on increasing your time so much so quickly! - and keep checking in with your scale to see what works. I like to use FitDay sometimes, and it is a great tool to calculate calories, log activities, etc. and to help you know what you were doing when you lost or gained weight.

Then, when you get more comfortable with your program, you may or may not decide to get more sophisticated about exercise, etc. I would also recommend adding in some strength training at some point. It builds muscle, which increases metabolism.

From one SAHM, writer-type to another, congratulations on moving in the right direction. As you learn more and more about what works for you and your body, you will learn so much about what brings you success. It continues to be an eye-opening journey for me.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:48 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kati View Post
All I want to know is what do I need to do to stop being fat?
Okay, that's really a much easier question than your original one! Eat less than you were eating because losing weight is 80% about eating and 20% about exercise. Start small if you need to. Many people have lost weight just by quitting regular soda or putting sugar in their iced tea. Others have started eating the same thing, but they ate less of it.

When you exercise, do as much exercise as you can as often as you can at as high an intensity as you can.

When you find that you're not losing weight, eat less and exercise more by increasing the intensity or duration or both. At some point, you may need to vary your exercise routine because your body gets used to doing the same thing and becomes too efficient.

Regarding monitors and Fitday, etc., they're all a guess as far as how many calories you've burned. I prefer a conservative estimate if I'm tracking. I like tracking, but it's certainly not necessary. So I agree with BattleAx--relax and don't sweat the numbers.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote