Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default T.o.p.s.

anyone ever go to TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly)????

I'm not much of a joiner, and things like weight watcher meetings annoy me for some reason, too much money ~ call me a cynic, but but i'm leary of someone gaining financially by my being and staying fat! LOL

however TOPS offers meetins, tips, etc. for $1 a week ~ no meal plans, but the support

anyone ever try it???
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:21 PM   #2  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I've never been to one, but I do attend the WW meetings for the support. I'd say go for it, you can never have too many people encouraging you!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:48 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/222/145

Height: 5'4"

My mom loved tops, then kops (keeping off pounds). Nothing had worked for her before that, and she made great friends. Good luck! - Goldie
Goldia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Hi Trazey!

There was a thread on this a week or two ago... Here's a link. Hope it helps!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=118856
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 12:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I was a member of two different TOPS chapters, one in Ottawa, Illinois (loved it, and lost 60 lbs while a member), and also a chapter in Bloomington, IL (I worked weird shifts, and never got quite as into the second group).

My husband and I are joining a local TOPS group tomorrow night, we went to our first meeting last week (you get to visit free for at least one meeting before having to join, that way if there are more than one chapters in your area, you can visit each, before deciding which one you want to join).

The yearly fee is $24, ($12 for hubby or teen to join with you), and the chapter we are joining charges $3 a month. The brochure they gave us said the national average is under $5 a month. The $24 anual fee goes towards operating expenses at the national level and also includes your newsletter. The chapter fees (weekly or monthly) go towards chapter expenses like buying charms for members (you get a charm or pin for every 10 lbs you lose) and room rental if they have to rent their meeting space. Our chapter is planning a fundraiser this fall, to pay for a new scale.

Most chapters run fun contests and such. Ours assesses "fines" of a dime per pound, and double fines after holidays or weeks when the club experiences a net gain (more weight is gained than lost). The biggest loser each week "wins" whatever is collected in fines. If you're biggest loser two weeks in a row, you take home a $5 gift, and buy and wrap the next $5 gift (the club reimburses you). Our club is also running a "dirty sneaker" contest for each 20 minutes of exercise you put in, you put your name in the can, and after the 6 week contest is over, they'll do a drawing for prizes. They run various drawings and fun raisers to support the club, and some clubs also sponsor charities.

They do have a diet plan that they suggest and offer information on. You can buy or usually borrow the book (The Choice is Mine, I believe is the title). The food plan in the book is based on food exchanges. The food plan isn't mandatory, and usually isn't even talked about all that much unless you ask.

In many groups, and this one we are joining, every week we go around the room and say whether we've gained or lost. If you've lost or "turtled," (stayed the same) the group claps and cheers, and if you've gained everyone smiles and say's "we're happy you're here." And they mean it, it's not like anyone judges you if you have a gain. For me, the accountability of getting on that scale and the fun competition helps me stay focused. I look at the evening as 45 minutes of entertainment. In addition to providing weight loss support, I think the meetings are fun, and a lot cheaper than a movie, or bingo, so I think of the cost as minimal.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote