Old 06-16-2007, 12:47 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 227/220/125

Height: 5'4"

Default I Need Inspiration And Encouragement

Okay so i lost about 15 pounds give or take, but now i find myself giving up. I know that losing that is good its just that i want to see results and i'm not. I've been walking and i really feel better when i do but i find myself giving up and saying whats the point. I really want to lose weight and i know that i can't wake up one morning and miraculously have shed 80 pounds. I just need to hear some encouraging words. I have a sister who walks with me and i know that she is trying to help but when i hear her complain about being 130 pounds it sometimes disgusts me. This is the biggest she's ever been and I know that she doesn't like it but sometimes we see people walking the track and they'll be my size or smaller and she'll make comments about how disgusting they look and how they shouldn't be so lazy and it kind of makes me feel hurt. I mean if she's saying this about anonymous strangers what must she think of me. My youngest sister is the same way except she is smaller and i dread going shopping with her because of the rude comments and giggles she does when people my size pass. I know I'm rambling but i just really needed to get that off of my chest. So any words of encouragement are greatly appreciated
kanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 06:27 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hello and welcome.

15 lbs is a phenomenal, phenomenal start. Why in the world would you want to give up? - you're just beginning. There's so much more to look forward to.! This weightloss thing is not an overnight experience. It DOES take time and is so, so very worth it. We didn't put the weight on overnight and we're certainly not gonna take it off that way. It's a process. You also learn invaluable things as you go along which is essential to then keeping it off. I am actually enjoying the whole thing. I find it thrilling to see the scale go down. I enjoy watching my size plummet. I like hearing people's reactions. I like seeing my activity level increase. I like finding out about myself. Finding my control. These have all been very postive things.

As far as walking with your sister, she doesn't sound very supportive - or sensitive. Is walking with her an absolute must? Because if it is, then I would ask her to please refrain making any deragatory comments about other people. I would tell her you find it offensive and unproductive. If she continues to make remarks like that and it upsets you then I would not continue walking with her. You must find something that you enjoy and benefit from. This sounds like it's not so enjoyable. If it's not enjoyable it's next to impossible to stick with.

I know lots of people like to workout with others. Me personally, I like to go it alone. I stick to my scheduele at my pace.

I hope you can work things out with your sister. but remeber you have to do what's best for YOU. Good luck with everythng. I look forward to hearing more from you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #3  
Gonna change my life!

S/C/G: 261/258/200 (st)/140ish

Height: 5-2

Welcome, and way to go on your great start here!

Robin said it really well, and I think either way you need to talk with your sis and tell her how her comments make you feel.

Also, it sounds like you might be a bit bored with the walking, or at least the path you're walking. How about mixing up your route a bit? See some new scenery, add some hills, that sort of thing.

Good luck, and I hope you continue to post here! This is a great group.

Lynn
lynn23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:24 AM   #4  
Misfit

S/C/G: 264.5/238/150

Height: 5'6

Ditto what Robin said. 15lbs is a great loss and you are only 7 more lbs from 10% weight loss. I'd definitely call both your sisters on their comments though. They are so disrespectful and insensitive to you as a person. Great job so far. Don't quit and don't let anyone discourage you. Keep it up!
cmbmom05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 09:50 AM   #5  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

I'm going to sound like an echo here by 15lbs is fantastic and a lot of hard work. You are on the right track. It won't come off overnight and you definitely can't take it off as easily as you put it on. I, also, have to tell myself that.

With regards to your sister..sometimes my family does the same thing. My mom has a big problem with that. Making comments about overweight people who are out exercising. I usually just look at her when she says that and say "At least they're doing something about it." But it does hurt and I know how you feel. I am basically the only overweight one in a house full of stick skinny people and get hurt easily through their comments about other people. Just tell her how it makes you feel. She will more than likely understand and keep those kind of comments to herself.

You should change up your exercising routine though. Doing the same thing will easily get you bored. How about biking instead of walking? You can do half and half and biking is really a lot of fun. Or try some exercise DVDs every other day.
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 11:06 AM   #6  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

I'll be another echo! 15lbs is awesome! Don't stop now!!! I absolutely agree, say something to your sister...maybe she doesn't see you as the same size as the people she is making comments about (not that she should be making the comments about them either).

Do you listen to any music while you walk? I listen to all kinds of music and there are certain songs that I know will get me moving...if I feel myself starting to fall into a slump, I'll put those songs on.

I have also found that planning non-food rewards for myself if I meet certain mini-goals helps keep me motivated.

Good luck! You can do it!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:45 PM   #7  

Height: 5'5"

Wow! 15 pounds! That's an incredible accomplishment!

I wonder if your sister is being passive-aggressive. She may be making comments about other people, with the intention of directing those comments to you. It is possible that she's trying to be helpful, though. Some people seem to believe that we don't know what we look like in a mirror, and believe that if we only "knew" we would be motivated to fix it. If only she wore her faults as obviously as we wear ours, she might have the insight to be more understanding. I agree that a chat with your whole family might be in order. I know no one who has put in the hard work and concentrated effort to lose weight in a healthy way because they were depressed and discouraged. You need acceptance, support, and encouragement. If your family understood that, they might be more likely to give those things to you. And if, for whatever reason, they aren't capable of providing those things, I know I have found them here on this board!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:59 PM   #8  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Here's another "ditto" message. 15 pounds is awesome. I too am one of those who wants it all to go away FAST. But I have to keep telling myself, "it took you 30 years to get in this condition". I hope it doesn't take 30 years to get it off (I'm in my 60's), but if it does at least I'll not be overweight in the 'home'. As for your sister, I think I'd rather walk alone. Or with a walkman (or ipod or whatever) playing in my ear so I couldn't hear her. My take on people like that is that THEY have a problem and it has nothing to do with me. Good luck to you, and remember what you have already accomplished. It is already a big deal.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:00 PM   #9  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

I agree with everyone pretty much....your sister is being pretty mean whether she intends to or not and you need your exercise time to FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOURSELF!!! maybe find someone else to walk with...or go it alone with your Ipod...thats what I do....

I wanted to say that I have a tendency to fall off plan after 20 pounds....I have done it EVERYTIME...and I don't know why.....I can only guess that something about being thin scares me....I will lose 20 and feel GREAT and then sabotage myself til I am completely off plan and I gain back more than I lost....

but I AM NOT going to do that this time...

so don't YOU do it either....you just keep doing what you need to do regardless of what your sister or anyone else says or does...it's not about them...it all about YOU.....do it for YOU!!
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:14 PM   #10  
Its all about choices

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/180

Height: 5'9"

You have been given some wonderful advice today and I hope it helps. I agree with the others, 15 pounds is an awesome beginning! Please do not let the insensitivites of others make 15 pounds the ending! My family (except for my kids!) doesn't understand either, so I do not involve them. I doubt your sisters realize that their comments hurt you. They might not even see you they same way the see strangers. If they are making the comments on purpose, then they are missing the big picture!

Try going for a walk without your sister and with some funky music in your ears. I walked last year to Janet Jackson and Gwen Stefani! Anything to make you feel good and get those feet moving. Try a new route, find a park, anything to make your walk one that you look forward to! Call your local animal shelter and see if they need dog walkers. And if you feel like giving up, come back here. We'll listen!
NickiB68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #11  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Yes, you've been given great advise and hopefully it will help you!! Your weight loss is spectacular so keep it up. I can tell you that I had to lose 70 lbs before anyone noticed that I had lost weight. And up to that point I was still wearing the same clothes, even though I have to admit that they were baggy on me. BUT the next 15 lbs showed amazing changes in sizes - it seems that every week I'm fitting in a smaller size!! So hang in there - your body will soon start reflecting your weight loss!!! As far as your sisters go, I like to think that they don't even think of you as being overweight because they are so used to you just being...well, you. But you need to start speaking up and letting them know that their comments are insensitive. And if they can't curb their hurtful comments and be more supportive you need to start looking for that support elsewhere (3FC's is a good place to start! )
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 227/220/125

Thanks so much for all the support i really needed it. Great advice you all really got me over my poor me road block. I love 3FC you guys are awesome and so encouraging. I can't thank you enough
kanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #13  

I know I'm a little late with my reply----but I'm here to ditto everyone else---many many kudos on the minus 15 pounds. That is an INCREDIBLE accomplishment that you should feel really good about!

My first thought was that you need a new walking buddy! And I know others have given really great ideas--I love the listening to music idea--you need to surround yourself with POSITIVES and not negatives as much as possible. And never ever ever ever give up. You can SO do this. Look at the others on the board who have!

And, if you stay here, we'll make sure you stay accountable and stay motivated

Keep up the great work----you're off to an incredible start!

all the best

bree
freezeframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:20 AM   #14  

Height: 5' 7'

You have been given great advice and I just want to add that you are soooo close to a weight that starts with 1!!! Keep it up! You are doing great. I am new but I think when you get to 199 you join a club so when you do, make sure you post!
HocusPocus is offline   Reply With Quote