Old 06-13-2007, 08:29 PM   #1  

Default Bored Eating

One of my biggest challenges with dieting is that I am a Bored Eater. When I am inactive, I feel like I should be munching on something. I'll sit there and want so badly to get something to snack on, it seems I am always reasoning myself out of it or thinking about the scale. Obviously, the easiest solution to this is to remain active. But it is impossible to do ALL the time, at least without passing out eventually. Sooo, I was wondering if any of you had any tips on how to get past this. I have been doing very well, but it is a HUGE struggle every single day. I have tried chewing gum, which helps a little, but after a while starts to give me a headache. Any other ways to get over this, other than torturing myself?
WinterStarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #2  
Born Loser

S/C/G: 490/See Tracker/245

If you find out let me know. Sometimes it's easy to get past the feeling but man sometimes when I'm alone at home it really gets hard. The more I stay on plan the stronger I get but I still have my weak moments.
howie6267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #3  

Can I jump into this club -- if you find ANYTHING -- let me know!!

I work nights, at home, typing -- I swear I could cut my 25 hour week down to 10 if I wasn't trying to munch half the time I'm trying to type. I have found if I have down time I try to do something productive with it -- no more T.V., sitting around, etc. If I have spare time or down time -- I catch up on reading even if it's just the newspaper, write a letter, type on here, etc. Anything to keep my hands busy -- If I can't help myself, a bag of microwave popcorn usually does the trick, because I can eat it for a long time.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 12:33 AM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

I find this to be a struggle as well in the evening. During the day, I am Teflon. Very seldom do I even feel tempted. But winding down in the evening...that's the toughest time for me.

The one thing that has worked for me has been to do some intense exercise, even if it's only for fifteen minutes. It acts as an anorectic for me so I have no desire to eat, at least for a little while. Instead, I am motivated to suck down large amounts of water, which keeps me full and occupied. The only other tip I can offer, which I'm sure is something you do already, is to keep binge-ready foods out of my house. Eating fifteen baby carrots takes a long time, and does not add up to many calories.

Probably not a complete answer, but hope it helps some.
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:43 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh yeah, it's a struggle. A big one at that. It does get somewhat easier as you get used to the fact that that is no longer acceptable. You will eventually get used to the idea that "Hey, I'm bored, I wanna eat, but tough - I can't"

I don't have any great words of wisdom. The only the only thing that's worked for me is that I made the decision to no longer eat for entertainment purposes, anger, celebration, frustration, and all that stuff. I know that's not much help, but that's what I finally did. I had to make the decision that I was no longer going to abuse food (and myself) in that manner.

Some other things to do:

-Read
-Jounal
-Hop on the computer and 3FC
-Plan menus and recipes. Read up on nutrition via the internet.
-Hot bath
-Manicure and pedicure (well Howie might not be too keen on this one )
-Straighten up the house
-Knit, crochet, needlepoint - something with the hands
-Exercise
-Drink hot tea
-Drink lots of water
-Paperwork
-Plan menus and recipes. Read up on nutrition
-SOMETHING - ANYTHING - but eat - it will pass and it IS worth it.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 06-14-2007 at 07:45 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #6  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I am the Mom of Bored Eaters. I am a SAHM , I eat when I am bored(most of the time), angry, sad, depressed, what ever you want to call it. For me part of the help in stopping this is not having junk food to eat in the house, but instead fruit, healthy snacks, and coming here for accountability has helped alot.
cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:43 AM   #7  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

I think that Robin is right, sometimes you have to just fight through the pain!
But I also think that drinking a bunch of water might help. Or try some gum. I think that while chewing a strong minty gum kills the desire for another flavor. I don't like cinnamon gum, but I bet that it would work too because it has such an intense flavor.
Worth a try!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #8  
Gonna change my life!

S/C/G: 261/258/200 (st)/140ish

Height: 5-2

Oooh, I am SO a founding member of this club!

My problem is that I often munch while reading, and that has been the hardest habit to break.

Some things that have worked for me:

-tea (it's the hand-to-mouth thing here, taking all those sips)
-getting on the computer (my desk is so messy there's no place on there for food to rest)
-calling a friend
-planning my menu for tomorrow (even if it's already done; taking the time to see my healthy choices for the next day can help me refocus)
-that bag of popcorn (lesser of two evils)
-laying down (I'm often tired, not really hungry, and I haven't managed to figure out how to eat while horizontal )

I've used the mani/pedi thing in the past, too. Usually I make a deal with myself. I'll tell myself that if I still really really really want that snack once I'm done with my distraction, then I can have HALF of it.

Also, keeping the worst of my temptations out of the house is key. As much as I love to eat a whole bag of doritos, I'm not going to do that with pretzels, so it's a decent substitute.

Lynn
lynn23c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 186/163.5/130

I've found I eat a lot less when I do something creative - like draw or paint. I think the urge is just a creative urge and I was so busy stuffing it with food I didn't realise.

Do you like to knit or doodle or anything creative? These are great because they engage your brain and stop you from trying to cut off the thoughts. And I always remember when I am about to eat for some reason other than hunger "You'll never have enough of what you don't really want."
AnneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

I struggle with this when things are a little slower and work and in the evening. All the suggetions listed have been great. The one I finds works best for me if I can't get up and get active, is hot tea. I'll fix myself a small pot of Herb, Caffeine Free Tea in my fovorite fruit flavor, set up a tray with the tea pot & tea cup. I feel like I am treating myself to something special.
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:45 AM   #11  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Sign me up as a member of this club too. I find that if I keep my hands busy it helps. I used this method when quitting smoking (another of those hand to mouth things). Knit, crochet, needlework, and computer games. (no one is allowed to eat at the computer in my house, including me.) Sometimes just getting up and walking around the house for a few minutes will help me get thru that 2 or 3 minutes when you just gotta have it. I have read that most cravings only last a few minutes. I am trying really hard not to eat ANYTHING when I know I'm not hungry, because it's the behavior I most want to change...that eating in response to emotional feelings instead of physical feelings. Eating my feelings is how I got here in the first place. I don't always succeed yet, but each time I do, it's a great accomplishment for me, and I celebrate it.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #12  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

I need to join the club, too! Evenings. Enough said! All day long I'm fine, it's that period between dinner and bed time....what makes me think I need a snack? UGH!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:54 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

I don't tend to have much problem with bored eating anymore but when i do find myself wanting to....sometimes i go in my room and pull out a box of pictures and start looking thru them. Sometimes i'm looking at them to see what i used to look like....when i was a teenager and a size 3 and some when i got bigger to a size 16. Sometimes i'm just looking at them to remember good times. Other things might be to pick up one of the shape magazines laying around my room and re-read some of their tips on losing weight and shaping up. IF by then i am still craving something, then i must really be hungry and i try to find something healthy to munch on.
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:49 PM   #14  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Excellent suggestions here!

I will second the manicure thing! You can put your hand in a bag of chips when the paint is drying.

Also, make some rules like you can't munch while on the computer or your kitchen closes for the evening at 8PM (shut out the lights) and you can't go in after that. It make keep you out of the areas of temptation and away from mindless eating.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:09 PM   #15  
returning to myself

Height: 5'6"

definitely keeping the hands busy...especially when watching TV...because that seems to be the worst time...I wouldn't use low cal snacks because it doesn't treat the HABIT....

doing your nails....doing a facial....hand puzzles....hand WEIGHTS.....sewing....knitting....crochet.....save laundry to fold at tv time....pay bills....play scrabble while watching TV.....

it will be a struggle at first...until you form a new and more productive habit....
iminhere is offline   Reply With Quote