Old 05-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #1  

Red face The Diet for Someone With NO Willpower (Me)

I think I've come up with a solution for my cravings.

Do any of you have cravings that won't go away? For example, you want a slice of cake, and nothing (and I mean nothing) will make that craving go away? You drink a gallon of water, you eat a whole head of lettuce (and anything else "healthy" in the fridge), but you're still unsatisfied?

I had one of those today. I wanted iced tea. Real iced tea. The kind with honey or evaporated cane sugar (artificial sweeteners will not do). I drank enough water to drown a fish, and then I made a deal with myself:

If I biked to the store, I could have one bottle of iced tea. So, I hopped on my squeaky bike (in the rain), and I started pedaling. Two miles later, I was outside the store drinking my iced tea.

So, I've made a decision. Any individual item that's worth a ride to a store, is fair game. Each ride is worth only one treat (single serving/single drink). I'm going to try to increase the store distance each time. This time, I went to the closest convenience store. Next time, I'm going to see if I can't go at least five miles!

The truth of the matter is that I know myself, and I don't deal well with deprivation. If I want something, I will eventually eat it, and I'll probably eat everything in the house to try and satisfy the craving first.

It may not be the most efficient way to lose weight, but at least I'll get a firm bum out of it.
dajaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 11:37 PM   #2  
cals. in v. cals. out

S/C/G: 157/151/130

Height: 5'6

I actually have the exact same strategy. I don't keep chocolate or anything considered "crap" in the house because if it's there I'll eat it. I for example, could never have a candy jar at my desk or anything like that b/c even if I don't particularly want it, I’ll find myself munching just b/c something is right in front of me. So I, like you, feel that if I’m motivated enough to leave my house and get to the store to buy whatever it is I’m craving (for me it's usually chocolate and usually around TOM) then I've earned it. I think your plan is slightly better though b/c you're actually riding your bike there!
nomorefatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:09 AM   #3  

Nomorefatpants, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this strategy.

I know that weight loss ultimately comes down to calories in versus calories out, but I'm going to really have to dominate on the calories out end, because I can't always stop the calories on their way in.
dajaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:27 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The truth of the matter is, for me anyway, once I elminated the foods from my diet that I craved the most, within a few weeks, surprisingly so to me - I no longer craved them - for the most part anyway. And then on top of that, I got so into the weightloss, that the rare cravings that do come along, I find much, much, much easier to "talk down" and just do without it.

But without a doubt we all must find what works for ourselves. I really think that is important. What works so well for one, can simply be useless to another. Good luck. I really hope this works out for you and you find success.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 224/187/135

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
The truth of the matter is, for me anyway, once I elminated the foods from my diet that I craved the most, within a few weeks, surprisingly so to me - I no longer craved them - for the most part anyway. And then on top of that, I got so into the weightloss, that the rare cravings that do come along, I find much, much, much easier to "talk down" and just do without it.
I am the same way as Robin. I got rid of everything in the house and ate healthy. After about 14 - 21 days I no longer wanted the junk. Now if I want something and we do have stuff around because we have a campground store. I tell myself I will allow it in my calories the next day. I never want it the next day so it is no longer is an issue. I don't think it is willpower as much as a mind set that being healthy is now more important than the food ever was. But we all have to do what works for us. Good luck on your weight loss.
sharonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #6  
Believe

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations on finding something that works for you! I tried to give up my trigger foods completely and physically it was doable (I gave it 1 month), but mentally I was still craving the foods so I decided to make adjustments that would allow for them occassionally. But I don't automatically give in to all cravings - I make myself think twice about my choices now. If I still want it at that point, if I've worked for it and if have the calories left in my daily range then I get my treat. And while I don't think I will ever completely give up certain foods, I am finding that I'm going longer between treats!
melsfolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #7  
Masterpiece in progress

S/C/G: 279/206/167

Height: 5'8"

I think that is a great idea, but it wouldn't work for me. I love junk food, if it is in the house I will eat it, and I have stores a few blocks away to walk to. I also don't crave the junk food as much, but I am sure if it is in my site I will eat it. I do allow my self a treat once a week. I will buy a bar of Dark chocolate, or at the mexican fruit market , I buy this thing called dulce( it is either squash, sweet potato, figs, or other fruit or vegetable that is boiled then dipped in a cane sugar, and allowed to dry. It is sold in pieces.
Thanks Cheryl
hellokitty81668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For me, reducing carbs overall and eliminating low fiber, processed carbs has drastically reduced cravings. It's almost as if a very heavy "craving cloud" has been lifted. I have, for the first time in my life really, at least without the assistance of prescribed ampthetimine diet pills, experienced a lack of appetite.

I can't say that I don't occasionally eat off-plan, but when I have it has reminded me why I've chosen to change the way I eat. Sometimes the psychological splurge is worth the physical challenge it will present, but I've become better at strategizing. The biggest is absolutely never bring off-plan items into the house (husband isn't always cooperative, but he's coming around). Also, never more than one "splurge" in a single day, and absolutely never splurges on consecutive days. I also try to find something that will satisfy the urge among the healthy choices that ARE in the house (like fruit for a sweet craving, or hummus and veggies for a salty, creamy craving).

No matter what your strategy, I think the first hurdle is making it a habit, rather than something you have to consciously do.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:26 PM   #9  
Ravenclaw Prefect

Ohh I am sooooo bad with controlling my cravings! Especially in the last couple of months. Reading this thread has given me some great ideas and a new perspective. It's good to know I'm not the only one that goes through this kinds of things.
DesDiamondS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #10  
hara hachi bu

I think it's a good strategy. I started out initially by doing things like that too ... eventually I eliminated the things I craved that were calorie-dense but lacking nutrition. Now I don't seem to have much of a need for such things at all.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 09:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

It sounds like you've found a great solution for you to handle your cravings. I usually will try to sit on them for a day or two and if they are still there after that will indulge in small amounts and that usually works. But like the others, the cravings are usually gone if I hold out.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 257/257/150

Height: 5'10"

Good job! I'm hoping I can find something like that to satisfy my cravings. ARGH!
tsinitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #13  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I think you have a great plan! and, that can be a big part of your success on this journey. I also plan ahead for off-plan meals or treats. I really don't want to give up everything for the rest of my life....ie...cheesecake or a nice 10oz ribeye!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:53 PM   #14  
LWM

S/C/G: 263/255/150ish

Height: 5'4"

Lightbulb Great Strategy Learned at 3FC

One strategy I have learned from someone (probably a few someones) on this forum is to postpone eating something not o.p. for special occassions. For example, this past Friday evening, it was our turn to host our monthly neighborhood get together. I planned a big (belated) Cinco de Mayo party, with lots of good food and drinks (most of which were not o.p. for me). My husband thought that I was crazy to spend so much time making things that I wasn't planning to eat or drink, but I knew our friends would be expecting certain food and drinks (we host this party every year). Anyway, I shocked myself by staying totally o.p. throughout the night . I managed this by periodically reminding myself of my family's upcoming Mother's Day celebration where my sister-in-law would be bringing the most amazing strawberry cheesecake from our favorite bakery. Then, when Sunday rolled around, I enjoyed a completely o.p. meal and then a small piece of cake, completely guilt free, since I had planned for it. Let me tell you...it was worth the wait!!

The best part of this strategy for me is knowing that, when a special occassion comes along, I can make it work for me without derailing my plan. In the past, I would have eaten my fill on Friday night (and probably Saturday, too!) since my diet would be "ruined" on Sunday anyway. Talk about planning ahead...for failure!

~Laura
LWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

I do that too! If I want iced coffee on my lunch break, I hoof it to Dunkin Donuts (I'm lucky, I don't really like doughnuts or the food items they have there, just the coffee). That way I feel like I've earned it. I'm in the camp of always having cravings.. but it helps me to go to the store and get a SINGLE SERVING bag (having 20 single serving bags does not help me, surprise of all surprises). So yes! I'm glad it works for someone else!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote