Old 04-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 328/319/240

Height: 5'11

I typically have a breakfast bar, the pria complete nutrition bar. Sleep is just way to important to me to get up and make something
mindylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #47  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindylee View Post
Sleep is just way to important to me to get up and make something
This is why I often don't make my instant oatmeal until I get to work
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 AM   #48  
Losin' it forever!

I first want to add my two cents about steel cut oats suggestions. I finally found them in a health food store but have not been brave enough to try them yet. As I'm kind of new to oatmeal, I'm a little scared and I'm not sure what to mix in with it!

I love breakfast and used to skip it all the time but since starting this weight loss program a few months ago, I eat it every day! I usually have two packs of instant oatmeal. I love it and it really satisfies me!
LakeGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:02 AM   #49  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

4 oz cup of 2 % Cottage Cheese and a RF String Cheese
Tortilla or WW thin bread with 3 slices LF Turkey
1 hb egg with Salsa
Instant plain oats Nuked with skim or 1% and with cold milk added later sometime with raisins or craisins
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:31 PM   #50  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

strawberries
blueberries
6 unsalted almonds
4-6 unsalted walnut halves
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #51  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

The steel cut oats have been "encouraged" lately becasue they have a lower GI, keeping you full longer, not raising your blood sugar as much, and not triggering the insulin rush

I think it's the same idea as how all the weight loss centres say to eat "stone ground bread" becasue it digests slower, the pieces are bigger as they are ground the old fashioned way, with stones ..and steel cut oats are in bigger "pieces" so it takes longer to digest them.
I think they take awhile to make though, so if you're a night owl like me, you could have them on weekends and have the large flake during the week (still only a couple minutes in the microwave and still better for you than instant)
Or add half a scoop of protein powder to it and does it EVER stick to your ribs! lol
Someone on another board said they love chocolate oatmeal- they do just that and add the chocoalte protein powder to it. I tried it once, it tasted okay, but it was soooooooo filling!

For breakfast , I usually have:
- 2/3 cup shredded wheat and bran (mini's)
1/2 cup milk, splenda to taste, a piece of fruit and coffee or

-1 piece 12grain stone ground bread toasted with no sugar PB
3oz cottage cheese, 1/2 cup blueberries, splenda to taste and coffee
or
- break free omelet , piece of fruit, coffee
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:26 PM   #52  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I had the most wonderful breakfast this morning. It felt like a real treat!

FRENCH TOAST! - 2 slices!!

2 slices of healthy bread.
1/4 cup egg whites with 1 T skim milk and 1t cinnamon
sugar free syrup

Sure, it may not have been the healthiest - but it was tasty! - and all of this for under 200 calories.. not bad
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:26 PM   #53  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
The steel cut oats have been "encouraged" lately becasue they have a lower GI, keeping you full longer, not raising your blood sugar as much, and not triggering the insulin rush
I guess I'm just confused--aren't they all just oats? How do steel-cut oats have a lower GI if they are the same kind of oats, just cut differently? Cutting shouldn't affect a food's GI, right?

I also think instant oatmeal takes a lot more heat than it deserves. I use instant oatmeal by Kashi, which is very healthy and includes some ingredients that bring it, IMO, leagues ahead of sugary instant oatmeals. Not all instant oatmeals are created equal
Old 04-13-2007, 11:33 PM   #54  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

They have a lower gi becasue they have a longer "processing time" in your belly.
Instant oats are more processed and easier to digest, so they get digested quicker, glucose releases into your bloodstream quicker, and then in turn you get hungrier quicker because the food has been digested quicker. kwim? your tummy is emptied faster ..the processing kind of partially digests it for you..lol

Like orange juice being digested way before an actual orange, it takes your body more time and effort to digest large flake oatmeal, brown rice, whole wheat pasta..it even makes a difference how long it's cooked. Pasta al dente has a lower GI than pasta fully cooked..the cooked pasta is gummier, falls apart easier, easier to digest..lol
Sorry I don't come on this area often, I was actually doing a search earlier and thats how I found this thread
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #55  

Today I had an egg sandwich. I just discovered eggbeaters and love them! i used two pieces of Natures Own double fiber bread and a slice of fat free cheddar cheese. It was scrumpdilly!!!!! It certainly didnt feel like diet food!!!!

Sometimes i skip breakfast but slip a Fiber One Cereal bar in my purse in case i become too hungry before lunch. They will not fill you up but they will tide you over. They also taste too yummy to be healthy!!!! Great tasting diet food- gotta love it!!!
ibbasquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #56  
Eating for two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalia View Post
They have a lower gi becasue they have a longer "processing time" in your belly.
Instant oats are more processed and easier to digest, so they get digested quicker, glucose releases into your bloodstream quicker, and then in turn you get hungrier quicker because the food has been digested quicker. kwim? your tummy is emptied faster ..the processing kind of partially digests it for you..lol
Thanks for the explanation--you're the first person who could give me one, and I really appreciate it I didn't know GI had anything to do with processing--I thought it was based on the amount/type of sugar/carb in a product.

Now I'm glad I never tried a GI diet--for me, a whole grain is a whole grain, and it's good enough for me (and by "good enough," I of course mean "not too confusing"--I'd hurt my tired little brain trying to figure out that GI stuff all the time )! And Kashi instant oatmeal keeps me full enough for a couple hours till the next time I eat
Old 04-14-2007, 08:12 PM   #57  
someday, we all hope!

S/C/G: 253/185/145

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Jill!

I'm a little late here, about the steel-cut oats. I believe the difference between steel-cut and more modern milling methods, is that steel cutting doesn't raise the temperature of the grains the way bulk milling does. High milling temps = denatured enzymes, broken-up proteins, reduced (overcooked) vitamins, minerals tied up in more complex (less available) compounds, starches partially broken down to sugars... all the things that make oats quicker cooking, too! In this case, the disadvantage related to processing is in the very high cutting speed, which kind of dry-cooks some of the nutrients out of the oats.

The more instant the oats, the less goodness left in them, was what I've always been told. Still, instant oats are lots better than any Super Deep-Fried Sugar O's! SO if they work for you, keep you happy, and you lose weight, what's to worry about? You found what you can stick with, and it's really healthy too. Jill, way to go!

(As for what I eat for breakfast, it's not worth mentioning right now. I'm on a Dr.-supervised VLC, no-carb diet, until either goal, or if it ever quits making good sense. Once on maintenance, my diet will look a lot more like everybody else's, and I'll get to enjoy steel-cut oats (or Red River cereal) again!)
becoming wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote