Old 03-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #16  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

For those of you who are not sure about plain Fiber One, there's also Fiber One Honey Clusters.

Usually I stay far away from any cereal that says Honey because the amount of sugar they add is ridiculous (9 grams in Honey Nut Cherrios and 12 grams in Frosted Shredded Wheat). However, 1 cup of Fiber One Honey Clusters is only 160 calories (without milk), 4 grams of sugar and a whopping 14 grams of fiber.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #17  
I'm Worth It!

S/C/G: 137/135/100

Height: 150 cm / 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalsfan1 View Post
Oh my gosh, you guys!!! After reading all of the comments about protein being more filling than carbs, and Angi (I think) commenting on how much further breakfast goes when it's higher in protein I decided to give that a shot. I scrambled 1 egg, 2 whites, a bit of ham, and a bit of fresh mozarella cheese and ate them in a whole grain tortilla. I ate at 8:30 this morning and I am STILL NOT HUNGRY. I cannot believe it. My calorie count for that breakfast was 367 (which is about 100-120 more than I generally eat) so that could be a factor but still!!! I'm convinced, now, that a little protein with every meal will go a LONG way to curbing hunger and possibly cravings. Thanks you all for your insight!

This will only last a couple of days. So every 2 days, give up the cheese and the Tortilla (the toritilla has to go!). You can instead add, red and green peppers, even onions if you like - and not only will your calories go down by 100 but will also give you variety and sustaining power.

I started the same way you did with breakfast but soon realized the breads were costing me an extra 30 minutes in workouts (you burn about 200 calories per 30 minutes depending on your choice of exercise).

Westerns sandwhiches without bread or any processed carbs are great! The other thing you can have for breakfast is baked tuna fish patties (you know, like hash browns) - mix up your own ingredients as long as the processed carbs are out and you bake the patties - you can even take them for lunch next to a nice cucumber / pepper salad - no dressing required.

Be creative with your meals. I don't cook so I need something that I can have out of the bag or can prepare in 5 minutes. It is possible to eat healthy and without effort forever!

You are doing great!
phoebekap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #18  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I think my tortillas are here to stay, lol. White corn and 50 cals for 2 of them, heck yeah!!! I'm often lacking in calories at the end of the day, so having one of those with breakfast i a great way to get in 25 calories.

I had vegan waffles this morning with a small smear of pb on them, I am so going back to egg whites and veggies for breakfast, it just seems to work much better for me!
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #19  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Whole grain toast and natural peanut butter, I love it and have eaten it nearly every day (some days I go crazy and have Kashi frozen waffles instead) for over a year. I realized I was probably applying the peanut butter too liberally, so I've cut back to peanut butter on ONE piece of bread and some sort of low sugar jelly/jam on the other. I love it, look forward to breakfast every day!
Natural nut butters are one of my favourite foods by far. I daily have nut butter for breakfast, usually on bread. I agree with Glory87, it's so easy to overdo it. I use a measuring spoon and go by the serving on the label, this helps me keep it in check.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #20  

I'm a fan of fiber one honey clusters. A whole cup of it is only 160 calories with 14 or so grams of fiber. I add some slivered raw almonds and fresh blueberries - delish. It's a fave breakfast of mine.

Also; heart to heart oatmeal by kashi. I like the maple and honey flavor. I can't remember the number of calories off the top of my head but that keeps me full too.

My other meal on the go standby: 3/4 cup of unsweetened unfiltered all natural apple juice, one scoop spirulina vanilla soy protein powder, one heaping teaspoon psyllium husk powder, and one cup frozen blueberries (or 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup raspberries). Unbelievably good - this makes it super duper thick, like ice cream. I actually eat it with a spoon. It's about 285 calories made this way. I honestly sometimes forget to eat lunch and it occurs to me at about 3 p.m. or so when I've had this for breakfast.
YuppieGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #21  

I have found also; that my body drops weight much more easily if I do not eat the same number of calories everyday.

So I'll go 1200 one day 1300 one day 1500 one day a nd then back to the 1200. Anectodal but if I get too low in calories the weight hangs on - until I eat a higher fat *something* it seems, and then the next week I register something like a seven pound loss. I've never had the steady thing - I have three to four weeks of nothing registered on the scale, and then the next time it's a big loss. Who knows- my body is nuts LOL
YuppieGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 261.5/176.5/145

Height: 5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuppieGirlie View Post

My other meal on the go standby: 3/4 cup of unsweetened unfiltered all natural apple juice, one scoop spirulina vanilla soy protein powder, one heaping teaspoon psyllium husk powder, and one cup frozen blueberries (or 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup raspberries). Unbelievably good - this makes it super duper thick, like ice cream. I actually eat it with a spoon. It's about 285 calories made this way. I honestly sometimes forget to eat lunch and it occurs to me at about 3 p.m. or so when I've had this for breakfast.
Do you put it in a blender or just stir it up? Sounds great! I'm nervous about the protein powder (I'm afraid of the taste) but I'd certainly give it a shot.
royalsfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:24 PM   #23  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I'm scared of protien powders too. My only experience with them was with Matt's bestfriends from childhood married this crazy chick. She literally lived off of protien shakes, a half gallon of fat free cottage cheese and water, all day. She made a huge shake for dinner and would run 30 miles everyday. That's ALL she ate. Ever. I always told people I thought they put crack in those powders to make people act nutso like that. Now however, I'm thinking I could use some of these "treat" recipes with protien powder in them. So, what's the better flavors/brands in y'alls opinions? I really do not want to play guess the flavor on protien powder.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angihas2 View Post
I'm scared of protien powders too. My only experience with them was with Matt's bestfriends from childhood married this crazy chick. She literally lived off of protien shakes, a half gallon of fat free cottage cheese and water, all day. She made a huge shake for dinner and would run 30 miles everyday. That's ALL she ate. Ever. I always told people I thought they put crack in those powders to make people act nutso like that. Now however, I'm thinking I could use some of these "treat" recipes with protien powder in them. So, what's the better flavors/brands in y'alls opinions? I really do not want to play guess the flavor on protien powder.
I second that question! What's the best out there? Not only am I fearful for my tastebuds but they aren't cheap!
Old 03-11-2007, 07:12 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebekap View Post
, give up the cheese and the Tortilla (the toritilla has to go!).
I started the same way you did with breakfast but soon realized the breads were costing me an extra 30 minutes in workouts (you burn about 200 calories per 30 minutes depending on your choice of exercise).
I love complex carbohydrates, I eat whole wheat tortillas, whole grain pasta/bread/pitas, brown rice, quinoa etc every day - nearly 200 grams of carbs a day. They are foods I love and can not live without - I love toast, sandwiches, pasta and stir fry over brown rice! I made other changes in my diet (no fast food, for example) to continue to eat good foods I loved and couldn't give up. I did switch to complex versions as much as possible.

Definitely didn't stop me from losing weight or keeping it off for 2 years. I just didn't want anybody to be scared off bread!!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 09:32 PM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I love complex carbohydrates, I eat whole wheat tortillas, whole grain pasta/bread/pitas, brown rice, quinoa etc every day - nearly 200 grams of carbs a day. They are foods I love and can not live without - I love toast, sandwiches, pasta and stir fry over brown rice! I made other changes in my diet (no fast food, for example) to continue to eat good foods I loved and couldn't give up. I did switch to complex versions as much as possible.

Definitely didn't stop me from losing weight or keeping it off for 2 years. I just didn't want anybody to be scared off bread!!
Thanks, Glory! I feel the same way about those foods and have really enjoyed the switch to whole grains. In my opinion they are WAY better in flavor AND texture than the "white" versions. I am very early in this journey and have not noticed them slowing my weight loss down much. I'm so glad to see that you eat them regularly and are a SUCCESS! Thanks!