Old 03-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey Charbar, I didn't read the other responses because I didn't want to be influenced!

I looked at the Fitday for March 5. It isn't a lot of calories, and the calories you did eat tend to be processed, packaged and not very nutritionally powerful (popcorn, chocolate, fat free yogurt). My opinion on the daily caloric number would be different if you were eating 1300 calories of really nutritionally powerful foods.

This is just based on my own personal dieting experience, you are doing well and you have to find the diet plan that works for you long term. For me, processed foods never really satisfied me, I always felt...restless. Munchy, looking in the frig, eating and eating trying to find something. When I changed how I ate, switching to nutritionally powerful foods, that "restlessness" pretty much stopped (I get it every now and then, but I think it's mostly boredom now). I figured, my body didn't have to keep seeking what it needed to be healthy, I was eating it every day.

My suggestions (just suggestions, you don't have to do any of this, this is YOUR plan). I understand it can be an "evolution" from processed foods to better alternatives, I did the exact same thing when I started.

go lean crunch ff yogurt - personally (this may be just my experience) no matter how fiberrific the breakfast cereal, cold cereal is just bad news for me. It doesn't fill me up long and I love to eat it out of the box (so it's a binge hazard). I do love Go Lean Crunch and I think it's good mixed with yogurt.

Maybe try plain, low fat/fat free yogurt, fresh berries, tiny bit of granola or nuts for crunch. Fewer calories, more nutritionally powerful, no fake sweeteners or chemicals. Just a note, studies have shown that 5 servings of nuts a week (2 oz per serving/1/4 cup) can reduce the risk of heart disease by up to 35%. That is HUGE and an excellent reason to try to work in some almonds or walnuts every day.

Another good breakfast would be an eggwhite omelet with vegetables, topped with salsa. Would help you get more protein/vegetables for the day.

boca burger on a bun - this is okay, I love boca burgers on buns too. Definitely take an opportunity to add some healthy vegetables - dark green lettuce, tomatoes. Maybe baked sweet potato fries on the side? Or a cup of lentil soup or a little salad.

Did you not have a snack between breakfast and lunch? Maybe you're a late riser and it just doesn't work with your schedule. Your menu is very "fruit free" so maybe berries/citrus would be a good mid-morning snack? Or maybe you just put all your snacks at the end? Definitely try to swap at least one of the popcorns with a fruit!

chicken and broccoli - broccoli - YAY. I don't know anything about the chicken dish, but it seems kind of high in fat (nice protein though). A better suggestion would be baked/grilled chicken (of course) but cooking is a pain and it's not always convenient. Your diet is also a little low in whole grains (besides the cereal and the bun, and I guess the popcorn counts, heh). Maybe brown rice or whole grain couscous or something with dinner?

Low fat cheese is a good snack, definitely. If you haven't eaten any nuts today, low fat cheese string + 1/4 cup almonds is a good combo. Cut up veggies with low fat hummus would be good too - more fiber is a winner.

55 calories of dark chocolate is great, satisfying and full of antioxidants. Chocolate milk is kind of iffy, skim chocolate milk is a good choice. Lots of popcorn that day, consider swapping at least one serving for a healthier snack (cut up veggies, fruit).

Brief Summary:

Only 1 serving of vegetables, no fruit, low protein, low whole grains, very little healthy fats. Bump all of those up - more vegetables, more fruit, more protein, more whole grains, more healthy fats! Nuts are a great and satisfying way to add healthy fat and a little protein to a daily menu.

In my opinion, you don't eat a ton of calories and about 25% of the little calories you eat is kind of wasted on nutritionally "void" foods. When you are cutting calories to lose weight, it's hard to get all the nutrition you need. You have to make every calorie count!

Last edited by Glory87; 03-06-2007 at 04:32 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #17  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

First of all... .Hi Sarah!! It's great to see you! I read your blog a week ago - man, you can sure write a novel. I must admit you normally lose me about 1/2 way through with all those big medical words! I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I bet moving south will be good for you.

Sandi... I was eating high in calories 1800-2100/day - then I started eating more filling food and the calories dropped. Today I stopped off at Taco bell on the way home... It was planned... so don't all of you get your panties in a bunch... I thought I'd increase my calories for today - should I have done it with Taco Bell? NO.. but here's my logic - it was better then mcdonalds..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
Hey Charbar, I didn't read the other responses because I didn't want to be influenced!

I looked at the Fitday for March 5. It isn't a lot of calories, and the calories you did eat tend to be processed, packaged and not very nutritionally powerful (popcorn, chocolate, fat free yogurt). My opinion on the daily caloric number would be different if you were eating 1300 calories of really nutritionally powerful foods.

This is just based on my own personal dieting experience, you are doing well and you have to find the diet plan that works for you long term. For me, processed foods never really satisfied me, I always felt...restless. Munchy, looking in the frig, eating and eating trying to find something. When I changed how I ate, switching to nutritionally powerful foods, that "restlessness" pretty much stopped (I get it every now and then, but I think it's mostly boredom now). I figured, my body didn't have to keep seeking what it needed to be healthy, I was eating it every day.

My suggestions (just suggestions, you don't have to do any of this, this is YOUR plan). I understand it can be an "evolution" from processed foods to better alternatives, I did the exact same thing when I started.

go lean crunch ff yogurt - personally (this may be just my experience) no matter how fiberrific the breakfast cereal, cold cereal is just bad news for me. It doesn't fill me up long and I love to eat it out of the box (so it's a binge hazard). I do love Go Lean Crunch and I think it's good mixed with yogurt.

Maybe try plain, low fat/fat free yogurt, fresh berries, tiny bit of granola or nuts for crunch. Fewer calories, more nutritionally powerful, no fake sweeteners or chemicals. Just a note, studies have shown that 5 servings of nuts a week (2 oz per serving/1/4 cup) can reduce the risk of heart disease by up to 35%. That is HUGE and an excellent reason to try to work in some almonds or walnuts every day.

Another good breakfast would be an eggwhite omelet with vegetables, topped with salsa. Would help you get more protein/vegetables for the day.

boca burger on a bun - this is okay, I love boca burgers on buns too. Definitely take an opportunity to add some healthy vegetables - dark green lettuce, tomatoes. Maybe baked sweet potato fries on the side? Or a cup of lentil soup or a little salad.

Did you not have a snack between breakfast and lunch? Maybe you're a late riser and it just doesn't work with your schedule. Your menu is very "fruit free" so maybe berries/citrus would be a good mid-morning snack? Or maybe you just put all your snacks at the end? Definitely try to swap at least one of the popcorns with a fruit!

chicken and broccoli - broccoli - YAY. I don't know anything about the chicken dish, but it seems kind of high in fat (nice protein though). A better suggestion would be baked/grilled chicken (of course) but cooking is a pain and it's not always convenient. Your diet is also a little low in whole grains (besides the cereal and the bun, and I guess the popcorn counts, heh). Maybe brown rice or whole grain couscous or something with dinner?

Low fat cheese is a good snack, definitely. If you haven't eaten any nuts today, low fat cheese string + 1/4 cup almonds is a good combo. Cut up veggies with low fat hummus would be good too - more fiber is a winner.

55 calories of dark chocolate is great, satisfying and full of antioxidants. Chocolate milk is kind of iffy, skim chocolate milk is a good choice. Lots of popcorn that day, consider swapping at least one serving for a healthier snack (cut up veggies, fruit).

Brief Summary:

Only 1 serving of vegetables, no fruit, low protein, low whole grains, very little healthy fats. Bump all of those up - more vegetables, more fruit, more protein, more whole grains, more healthy fats! Nuts are a great and satisfying way to add healthy fat and a little protein to a daily menu.

In my opinion, you don't eat a ton of calories and about 25% of the little calories you eat is kind of wasted on nutritionally "void" foods. When you are cutting calories to lose weight, it's hard to get all the nutrition you need. You have to make every calorie count!
Wow, you said a lot! Thank you for taking the time.. it means a lot! I do add veggies to my veggie burger.. they just count for such little calories I normally just skip it. I always add cucumber and onions. (I know, weird!) I tried eating oatmeal this week - GROSS!! I threw it out. Yuck.. poopy... yuck! Kashi... fills me up... lasts till lunch. I measure out the one cup too.

I had the chocolate milk last night with supper b/c I had so many calories available (freaked me out too!) I measured 1 cup.. and it was Y U M M Y! 160 calories worth? not really... but it sure was tasty. I have not had chocolate milk in a long time. Normally it's just for the family.

Okay.. so increase my fruit and veggies... cut back on my sodium.. (that is a huge battle) continue with the water. Increase protein. That is a tough one! I don't eat fish.. and I don't want to. I eat chicken.. maybe more. Maybe some chicken and salads for lunch.

I did eat some almonds this afternoon - love those! I divide them up into little snack bags when I get home - makes it really easy.

Thanks again all. Never giving up..... just keep on trucking!

Love ya
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #18  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

oh.. and Robin says to do more exercise... YES, mother!
Old 03-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #19  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Don't kill me again, either Charbar or Tiffany or anyone else. I'm just speaking for myself and from my experiences. Without a doubt only you know what is best for you. And of course if it's working for you, more power to you. But 2100 calories is a bit high IMO. Especially if there is not much exercise involved. Again if you can successfully lose on that and YOU are HAPPY with it, just ignore me and my big mouth. I also find that if I eat 2100 calories one day and again that's just me, it changes my whole frame of my mind and puts me in a whole different mindset. It means I'm probably eating trigger foods and the such with too much fat and sugar and processing. Again that's just me. I do try to zig zag, it kinda just naturally happens in fact. Especially on the weekends. But 2100 is IMO a bit high. There I said it. Whew.

Dana 10 minutes is a GREAT start. Try and sneak in another 10 minutes and maybe even another and before you know it, you've done 20-30 mins.
I guess I should clarify my post (and I'm not stoning you Robin ). 2100 calories is what *I* do. I've been researching this calorie cycling method for a while, and it's not just picking a number from anywhere. I am following Tom Venuto's method from his ebook Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. The 2100 calorie maintenance level is calculated based on my BMR (from my estimated lean body mass) and then multiplied by my activity level. I'm exercising 3-5 days per week, so I get to eat a little more. The calories average out to 1725, and I believe that is enough of a deficit for me to lose fat consistently. My biggest problem in the past has been my body going into starvation mode, and this seems like the best way to prevent it.

Everyone is definitely different, and if you do wish to employ this technique, I encourage you to do your own research and figure out what is best for you.

Today was my UP day, and it is HARD to eat 2100 healthy calories. But I plan and I make it through. I had some things I wouldn't normally eat (like cinnamon raisin toast - not great but not absolutely terrible), but I didn't over do it.

Congrats to you Charbar for exercising! It is a great start, just keep it up!!!
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 08:13 PM   #20  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Tiffany you most definitely do not have to clarify your post. There's no need to justify anything. I am and always will be a firm believer in what we all have to do what works for ourselves. And of course only ourselves can know that. We are all different heights and weights and have different activity levels and different metabolisims and so on and so on. What works for one does not necessarily mean it will work for someone else. As a "general" rule, and we all know rules are meant to be broken, 2100 calories for a 5 foot person, such as Charbar and myself are usually too high. Again, that's just a general. Since Charbar was asking for input, I thought I would mention that I thought it was too high. It may very well not be too high. There's nothing like trial and error to try and help us figure out what works - and what doesn't.

By the way I didn't have a planned "up" day today or yesterday, but ummm it just kinda worked out that way. Oh well. I probably would have been better off had I indeed planned it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 12:13 AM   #21  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

One thing I do agree with... it's hard to eat 2100 calories that are all healthy. But I do get your point. Change things up - I was worried that if I continue to eat low - but body might not let go of the weight. As Robin said sometimes you don't need to plan an up date.. that's just how life works

Thanks again all. It was good for me to put myself "out there"
Old 03-07-2007, 01:37 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I love opportunities to eat 2100 healthy calories a day - avocados, nuts, sweet potatoes, higher fat versions of yogurt/cottage cheese, peanut butter, hummus, dried fruit, olive oil, brown rice, a non fat latte, salmon, whole wheat pasta...bigger portions of the healthy foods you are already eating!

I was so happy when I went to maintenance calories, instead of having to decide if I would eat a serving of almonds OR a yogurt with berries (in order to fit in my calorie goals for the day) I could have BOTH.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 01:58 AM   #23  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbar View Post
First of all... .Hi Sarah!! It's great to see you! I read your blog a week ago - man, you can sure write a novel. I must admit you normally lose me about 1/2 way through with all those big medical words! I'm glad to hear you are doing well. I bet moving south will be good for you.
Hi Dana, thanks for checking out my blog on occasion! Sorry about all of the medical terms -- getting a bone marrow transplant raises you up rather quickly to Cancer 301 or 401 at least! I include all of that for all of the other folks facing a bone marrow transplant for lymphoma and they're so appreciative because there are so few "real person" resources for us online and we need to share information -- but I can see that I'd quickly lose my weight loss readers. That's the rub when you've got a dual-identity blog.

As for doing well, I guess you didn't get to the part where I'm in watch and wait mode to see if I still have cancer after the transplant after some bad scans. I'm trying to stay positive and live my life as if I don't have cancer....just in case I don't! No need to waste more weight loss time, right?

I'm coming up on a year down here and while most of it has been spent in treatment for my relapse, I'm looking forward to a more positive year in 2007.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 AM   #24  
Bringing SexyBack ;)

S/C/G: 346/271/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I love opportunities to eat 2100 healthy calories a day - avocados, nuts, sweet potatoes, higher fat versions of yogurt/cottage cheese, peanut butter, hummus, dried fruit, olive oil, brown rice, a non fat latte, salmon, whole wheat pasta...bigger portions of the healthy foods you are already eating!

I was so happy when I went to maintenance calories, instead of having to decide if I would eat a serving of almonds OR a yogurt with berries (in order to fit in my calorie goals for the day) I could have BOTH.
Thanks for the great suggestions! I will start to incorporate these on my high days. I'd been avoiding nuts for that very reason.
SexyRevealed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:40 AM   #25  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Tiffany... I love natural whole almonds from blue diamond.. high in calories... but also high in vitamin E

Sarah... sorry that you are playing wait and see again. You have such a positive attitude. It amazes me!