Old 01-30-2007, 08:54 AM   #1  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Default shallow question... how long did it take?

How long did it take till people noticed your weight lose. I know it takes us 100+ gals a bit longer. I figure if it's not too far away it will keep me motivated to keep losing!!

Thanks!!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:01 AM   #2  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

It really really REALLY depends on the individual. I post on the 300+ section also, and some women mention seeing physical resultsin just a few pounds, whereas last year, I lost over 40 pounds and still didn't notice much difference in myself, although others mentioned that they could notice a little difference. I started at a size 22 pants at 310 pounds and was still in a size 22 pants at 262 pounds (and no, they weren't practically hanging off me--they still fit). So yeah, it really depends on you, your build, your exercise, your shape, your genetics...all that fun stuff.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I don't think it's shallow at all. When I first started this I went to nutritionist. I went for a total of 5 times and then stopped. I didn't like her all that much. But that was one of the first questions I asked her. We all know we're doing this for ourselves, but it is nice when other people notice. And trust me notice they will. Anyway she told me about 50 lbs for someone my size.

Of course we're all different. You should start noticing a difference in your clothing before others will see it. I'd say at about 25 -30 lbs people started saying to me that I look good. As in "Wow, you look great". They weren't exactly sure why. At about 45-50 lbs they were saying "Wow, you look great. Did you lose weight?' Then another 10 lbs or so it was "Wow, you've lost weight!. You look fantastic." At about 75lbs., there was not one person, (except for this one so called friend of mine who still has not mentioned my weightloss) who does not tell me how great I look and that I've lost an awful lot of weight. Some people have even said to me "What'd you do with the other half of you" and "Where'd the rest of you go?" and stuff like that.

I'll be honest with you - the compliments are EXTREMELY motivating. Hang in there - it will happen. People WILL notice. And you will feel fabulous, which will propell you to stay on track. It's a wonderful cycle.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/248/155

Height: 5'3''

The waiting is so hard. I'm down 30 pounds and I did get a "You look great today" But the only person who realy noticed weight loss is my hubby, when he hugs me he will say "your shrinking".

A goal is good, thanks for the amount tips rockinrobin. 20 more pounds and then hopefully I'll get a notice.

To all of us, keep going!!!
CrispyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 AM   #5  
Meg

It took me 35 pounds to go down the first size. It took 50 pounds for DH to notice. And I had to tell him when I lost 100 ... he peered up from what he was reading, looked puzzled, and said: that's nice, dear. (that's one of the reasons why I love him - he never noticed what I weighed, fat or thin)

The last 20 pounds changed everything ... that's when people who had known me for 20 years stopped recognizing me. Even my own father walked by me in the airport without knowing who I was!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:46 AM   #6  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
And I had to tell him when I lost 100 ... he peered up from what he was reading, looked puzzled, and said: that's nice, dear.
That's awesome! LOL.

It took me about 40 pounds before most people noticed. And yes, the compliments are very motivating. Write them down! When you need a motivation boost, you can re-read them.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 364/364/140

Height: 5 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
I started at a size 22 pants at 310 pounds and was still in a size 22 pants at 262 pounds (and no, they weren't practically hanging off me--they still fit).
I still fit in to the same clothes that I wore when I was 264 now at 220. I really really want a clothes NSV I want to fit in to something smaller then a 22 pants. I do know that no one really notices my weight loss because I still wear all the same clothes, they do hang off me more but no real notice yet. I am hoping to fit in to my size 20 pants in a few weeks then maybe have some notice.
DramaQueenLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:19 AM   #8  

It took between 20 to 30 pounds for me to have anyone notice, but I'm 5'9" so I think it may have taken a little longer for me because it was kind of "all over" weight loss.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

For me, it took about 50 lbs for someone to mention it. Although when I went to visit my family last summer, I got a lot of comments just because they hadn't seen me in a while and it was after losing 20 lbs between visits.

At first, clothing sizes didn't change much but now they are changing a lot. The smallest tops in the plus sizes are now getting too big and I'm not sure if I am ready to cross to the other side just yet. Pants though I am still between a size 18 plus petite to size 22 plus petite, depending on the brand. My booty is still hanging on with me so I don't know how long it will be before I get out of plus sizes with it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #10  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

It took over 75 lbs for people to be sure that I had lost weight. But I started off much higher than you are. Like Robin, after about 50 lbs. people starting asking if I had done something different with my hair (which I had slightly changed) and making comments that made me realize that they knew something was different but they didn't know what. Closer to 100 lbs almost everyone that I saw commented on it, so it was very obvious at that point. Upwards of 120 lbs, people that I know pretty well that have only known me as fat say they don't recognize me.

The biggest response was when I finally started buying new clothes. I kept wearing my old clothes as they were hanging off of me, sometimes with a quick dart sewn in the waistband to keep them from falling off. When I finally had to get rid of those and get some that fit, people really noticed.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 283/253/190

Height: 5'9"

Great question! I'm so glad to see that I am not the only one who has had to wait through a lot of pounds (& hard work) for others to start noticing (or to drop sizes - lol)!
Lifeguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #12  
Kelly M

S/C/G: 246/147/150 WW Goal

Height: 5'5"

I'd say about 25-30 pounds lost was when people started to notice or ask. My mom noticed at about 15 pounds, but she is always aware of what's changing with me. Now at 60 pounds, people make comments such as you've lost a lot of weight. It feels good, but sometimes it's also embarrassing. I much prefer the comments such as "You look fabulous" and then they let it go. Just a nice, well rounded compliment!
boaterswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 268/259/155

Height: 5'8"

My first time around I believe I lost around 30-40lbs before someone noticed (or at least said anything) and when I got to 50lbs lost tons of people commented. Not sure how it will be this time, since I have a completely different body shape after having kids!
I love when people notice, that really keeps me going!
joblair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #14  
On my way to 160!

S/C/G: 275/191/160

Height: 5 feet 4 1/2 inches

Hi!

As far as ME noticing my weight loss myself, I'd have to say that after losing the first 15 pounds I found that my exercise (walking) went much easier.

As far a OTHER PEOPLE noticing, I have to go with Tammy on this- me getting new clothes was when people began noticing, and that was after I had lost about 20 pounds. I began to watch "What Not to Wear" and "How Do I Look" also which gave me LOTS of tips. I was dressing before to COVER MYSELF UP and to HIDE. Now I dress to look nice and show that I actually HAVE a body! Big difference!

My inches victories have always outranked my scale victories along the way. I have been able to fit into increasingly smaller sizes even when my weight hasn't changed, probably because I continue to exercise and have become firmer. As I lost MORE weight beyond the 20 pounds, I was able to try different exercise which helped even more. I used to be quite jiggly, but I am a lot firmer now. I think that helps people to notice as well.

This WILL happen for you! Honest! Be sure to pay attention to how much easier it is getting for you to move in certain ways or fit in certain places. That is a GREAT thing!

Cheryl
Cheryl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #15  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl14 View Post
Hi!
My inches victories have always outranked my scale victories along the way. I have been able to fit into increasingly smaller sizes even when my weight hasn't changed, probably because I continue to exercise and have become firmer.
Next week, I will begin my weight training program and I have decided to stay off of the scales for a few weeks and monitor the inches. I remember about 10 years ago (and 60 lbs lighter!) I lost 24 pounds. Everybody thought I had lost around 50. At the time, I was working out with the weights and building muscles in addition to attending an aerobics class everyday. I'm hoping for the same results this time. Afterall, who cares about what the scales say if I look thinner!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote