YOU: On a Diet - and other Oprah inspired diets Includes Dr Phil, Bob Greene, and YOU: On a Diet

Old 09-20-2003, 01:09 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Name (Nickname): Kim (kfs151)

M or F: F

Weight/ Goal Weight: 261/150 (Dr. Phil says 125 )

Height: 5' 3"

Family: Married, two kids (DD 10, DS 6)

Personal Info you would like to share: got serious last Sept, started exercising regularly. Did WW in January but wasn't really losing weight although it did get me to look at what I was eating. Started Atkins the end of March and have lost 40 lbs so far. Definitely a WOE I could see doing for the rest of my life.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: falling off the exercise wagon and mindless snacking.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: Pearls of Wisdoms or "Ah-ha" moments to help make permanent changes.
kfs151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 01:44 PM   #17  
work in progress

Name (Nickname): Lav/Lavender

M or F: Female

Weight/ Goal Weight: 174/140

Height: 5'7"

Family: I have been married for a year and a half to my soul mate I love him tons. I have a son who is almost 4 and a step-daughter that is almost 5. I also have two wonderful parents that have supported me and loved me everyday of my life.

Personal Info you would like to share: I have become more interested in what I will get out of the book club and the shareing of our different views and opinions form all of you than the book itself.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: I love love love food, I love cooking it and eating and trying new things. I eat when I am happy and when I am sad. Some days are better than others weekends are the hardest for me. My weekdays are well structured and busy.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: A new perspective.
Lavender Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 02:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 144/137/128

Height: 5 ft. 4.5 in.

I'm reading this book and took the readiness test and for me it's zero hour!

Name/Nickname: Ann/Musicgal

Sex: Yes... (that's an old joke, sorry) -- female

Weight/Wt. Goal: start 145/ current 135/ goal 120-125

Height: 5 feet 4

Family: My husband and 2 boys, plus 3 reptiles (don't ask!)

Would like to share that although my weight may seem o.k. for my height and age, I wear a size 10/12 and people always think I weigh more than I really do. I think it's because I am small boned and have a lot of fat on me and should weigh less for my frame.

Biggest weakness: In reading this book (only nearly halfway done) I already confirmed that I am an impulse eater and I have to work on this. I also took the quiz on stress and I have a high stress situation right now so I have to work on stress and emotional eating also.

What I want to gain from this book: Learning to finally tackle my weight issue from the inside out rather than just following a diet and having the weight creep back. I have to get these keys and open the doors!
Musicgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 08:40 PM   #19  

Name/nickname: Nikki

Sex:Female

Weight/Wt. goal:275/222/150

Height:5' 8 1/2"

Family: On my 3rd marriage to a great guy. We've been together for 12 years and married for 5. 2 DD's (25 and 22 years and both on their own, yeah!), 4 cats that we love like our own kids.

Personal info you would like to share: I'm retired on disability after a long struggle with a bone fracture that won't heal. It's suppose to be healed now, but still hurts all the time. I love to garden, cook and look at cookbooks, must be some connection here. I've been on different diet plans since Aug. 2002 and I lost 65 lbs. I started to take an antidepressant -zoloft- to help with my extreme pms problems. Then, I had some kind of weird reaction to it and completely fell off the wagon as far as dieting and exercising goes. Just didn't care anymore about anything, except for sleeping. When I was awake, I was so zombie like, I practically drooled. So, I gained back 30 lbs. Now, I'm off the antidepressants and back eating low carbs and exercising daily. DH says he can deal with my pms, but I don't know if I can, it seems to have gotten worse as I get closer to menopause.

Biggest weakness in weight loss journey:Krispie Kreme doughnuts, I can eat a dozen at one time.

What do you hope to gain from this book: Try to get a handle on why I eat to excess. I have no off switch when I start to eat and can easily eat a whole bag of M&M's and then move on to a big bowl of ice cream. I sometimes eat till I can barely breathe, it's like I can't get filled up.
nikkic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 09:04 PM   #20  
Mommy, wife, teacher

I know exactly what you mean. I can't get filled up either. Summer
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 09:34 PM   #21  

Default Intro

Name (Nickname): Sami

Weight/ Goal Weight: 195?? / 160

Height: 5'5"

Family: Husband, several critter-babies

Personal Info you would like to share: I lost 110 pounds and have gained about 30 back. I'm a lifelong dieter and binge eater.

Biggest Weaknesses in the Weight Loss Journey: Sugar addict (self-medicating with carbs). Love to bake/cook. Binge eating away emotions, esp. anxiety, depression.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: To learn how to manage anxiety, depression and boredom without food. Even if I don't lose, at least to stop regaining.

Please add anything else on here that you think would help us help you reach your goal..... Support and positive vibes that yes, it is possible to recover and LIVE, not just exist to eat.

P.S. I think it's WAY COOL to see posts from so many "chicks" 30+

Last edited by ShihtzuX2; 09-20-2003 at 09:55 PM.
ShihtzuX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:24 PM   #22  
senior chick

Name (Nickname): Nita

Weight/ Goal Weight: 175/150

Height:5'5"

Family: Husband and 2 married sons, 2 DIL's, 3 granddaughters and 1 grandson. 2 cats.

Personal Info you would like to share: I am a member of TOPS and the leader of my chapter. I weigh 55 lbs. less than I did a few years ago, but it is a constant battle to keep it off. I would have gained it all back if not for the support of my TOPS friends.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: Food and not being able to say no to it even when I'm not hungry.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: I hope that I can learn a lot more about why I eat too often and too much.

Please add anything else on here that you think would help us help you reach your goal.....
FLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 07:27 AM   #23  

Nickname: Absinthe or just plain Abs

Weight/ Goal Weight: 210/170

Height: 5'10"

Family: Wonderful hubby, 4 furry kids

Personal Info you would like to share: I've been at goal, studpidly returned to old bad habits and regained a good portion.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: I like to eat. ALl the time.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: A change in the mindset behind eating that will outlast my (usually) temporary good eating habits

I am not a big Dr. Phil fan, but reading him is much better than listening to him. Hope I get a lot out of this book.
Absinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 10:58 AM   #24  

Name (Nickname): LuckyLadyBug

Weight/ Goal Weight: 225 - 130

Height: 5'5"

Family: Me and my cat (for now)

Personal Info you would like to share: I work, live on a farm, and am working on living life instead of watching it pass by.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: I hate dieting, it makes me think about food all the time. And, since I gained this weight 10 years ago it has NEVER worked for me. Maybe because I always "suspected" this issue was more about what is in my head than what I put in my mouth.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book:
I think I know many of my issues with losing this weight SO WHY don't I do something about it? WHAT am I missing ????

Please add anything else on here that you think would help us help you reach your goal.....
Help, convince, brow beat, kick me in the a$$ - but get me to exercise. I KNOW I need it but it is the one thing I will "let go". Hmmm after writing that I feel more committed to getting that into my day. See, you are already helping me!!!

Last edited by LuckyLadyBug; 09-21-2003 at 11:01 AM.
LuckyLadyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 12:21 PM   #25  

I'M SOOO EXCITED!

Name (Nickname): Kim~~ a.k.a. Skinny4baby

Weight/ Goal Weight: CW ?? GW 200

Height: 5'9"

Family: Married 14 years to my high school sweetheart..he is a true sweetie...he spoils me rotten! Two Cats~~ Annie and Bea B

Personal Info you would like to share: I am a very SAD person at this time in my life because I am sooo ready to have a baby..I have tried to conceive for 12 months with no luck! (I know I have told this before..I am obsessing)..I dream of having a baby on a daily basis. It is the first and foremost thing on my mind everyday!..right after... that is losing weight , of course!

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: Emotional Eating! I have a few "ISSUES" that have happened in my life that I have always had a hard time with...So I have relied on food for to long to ease my pain ..So I am one of the ones who needs to pay REAL close attention to his Emotional Eating KEY...help me Dr. Phil!

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: The determination to keep with it!...I know that I have what it takes to do it!..It is just sticking with it that I must do!...For once in my life ...I need to realize that these 7 KEYS are the keys that I must hold on to for my entire life...not just to "lose the weight"...but for forever..So I can not only make my dream of having a baby come true...BUT I want to live long enough to see my child/children grow up!

I feel like I need help/advice about food planning. I "think" I know what healthy eating is...But do I really?...I want to try and focus on learning how to really eat more healthy...FOR A LIFETIME!...and I have learned from past attempts that the more I PLAN my food out...the better I do!...I think I worry to much about what I am going to eat next meal...I worry sooo much about staying of plan. I also have a track record of if I eat one thing that is "BAD"..I have this I blew it mentality...that needs to GO for me to finally WIN and this mind game!!...I hope we all realize that this in a very grand opportunity for us to fianally WIN at the WAR ON FAT!!
Skinny4baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 04:18 PM   #26  

Name (Nickname): Ali/Aleka

Weight/Goal Weight CW 163/GW 130-ish

Height 5'2"

Family: Married 31 yrs., no children. Mother to a 2 (almost 3) yr. old Boston Terrier.

Personal Info you would like to share: I am the typical yo-yo dieter, losing and gaining the same 10-12 lbs. for a number of years. I have been overweight since I can remember. Thankfully my weight has not been an issue with my husband. He likes me the way I am.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: I seem to lose motivation a few months into any eating plan I am on and revert back to my old way of eating. I am an emotional eater and eat when I'm bored or depressed.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: I hope to find out why I am unable to stick to a diet plan for very long and learn to manage my emotions so that I don't run to my friends Ben & Jerry.
aleka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 05:18 PM   #27  
Bev

S/C/G: 180/171.6/150

Height: 5'4

Name (Nickname): Bev

M or F: f

Weight/ Goal Weight: 178/145-150

Height: 5'4

Family: husband of 14 yrs, daughter 10, son 6, and a very old black lab

Personal Info you would like to share: I gained my weight after the birth of my son and I have not been able to get back to my goal weight since then. I am a big time yo-yo dieter.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: food- I love all type of sweet foods. I also have very little will power. If someone else is eatting it I want it too.

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: The power to take back control of my own life. I do believe for some reason I am afraid to lose the weight- I am hoping this book will show me why.

Last edited by its_my_life; 09-21-2003 at 05:20 PM.
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 07:15 PM   #28  

My first post here! I'm really excited about this...

Name (Nickname): Deb

Weight/ Goal Weight: Start 184/ Current 166/ Goal 135

Height: 5' 7"

Family: 1 DH known for >10 yrs, married 3, 2 very large, very spoiled 7 yo cats Bootsy and Misha (really overgrown kittens) and 1 new 8wk old kitten--Jack (after Samurai Jack).

Personal Info you would like to share: Would really like to lose weight before starting a human family . Am really waiting for my husband who is 5 years younger to be ready for kids...figured might as well work on getting healthy while I'm waiting. He actually said the word "baby" last week without flinching..

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: STRESS AND SWEETS--in that order! My Grandmother was a really good baker, when I bake I feel like I'm at home--just can't have that much baked goods around cause I'm the only one that eats them. And I feel guilty about giving them away because everyone else is trying to eat healthy too! I miss baking...

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: To be able to control my weight without "dieting" and journaling every single thing I eat for the rest of my life!
Lessuvme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 10:32 PM   #29  
Queen of Quite A Lot!

Name (Nickname): Michele (mitchypoo or mitch)

Weight/ Goal Weight: Oh, this was a hard one, wasn't sure i'd answer it, don't know why but i can't hardly utter the words. But after all of you, why not...... 230/169, OMG it's out there!

Height:5" 9"

Family: I'm divorced w/no children except for Simba my 11 yo Rottweiler/Labrador whom I love more than anything.

Personal Info you would like to share: I'm originally from CA, I've lived in MN for 3 years now. I'm tired of living alone, i want to find that special someone to share my life with. I know he's out there but think my self-worth is getting in the way. I also love the Lord and my faith is important to me.

Biggest Weakness in the Weight Loss Journey: Carbs! Oh, i hate them. I love them so much I hate them!

What do you hope to Gain from this Book: I hope to find out the emotional reasons that I've allowed myself to gain so much weight and I want to lead a happier and healthier life.
Mitchypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 09:48 AM   #30  

Wink Hi Everyone

I Am SOOO EXCITED TO HAVE ALL THIS SUPPORT!!! WHAT A WONDERFUL IDEA!!!

NAME: NICOLE-Lynn NICKNAME: Lynn74
FEMALE
AGE 29
WEIGHT/ GOAL WEIGHT 280/150
HEIGHT 5'8" 3/4
I HAVE 2 SON'S 9 AND 5. AND BOY OH BOY DO THEY DRIVE ME CRAZY! I HAVE A WONDERFUL FIANCE THAT LOVES ME AND MY CHILDREN LIKE THEY WERE HIS OWN. I HAVE 2 CATS, 2 FISH,
A SNAKE, AND A COCKATIEL WHO CHATTERS ALL DAY ! I LIVE IN SYRACUSE N.Y. AND HATE IT HERE I WANT TO MOVE TO THE CITY!!!!
I WOULD LIKE TO GAIN THE SELF RESPECT THAT I SHOULD HAVE FOR MYSELF. I AM A EMOTIONAL EATER, A STRESS EATER, A COMPHORT EATER I THINK DR.PHIL HAS ALOT OF SENCE ON SELF HEALING AND I AM EXCITED TO BE READING HIS BOOK! AND THANK YOU ANGEL FOR THE BOOK CLUB. HOPE TO GET TO KNOW ALL OF U WELL.
lynn74 is offline   Reply With Quote