Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #1  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up 2006, Here Come the Turtles!!! 149

We are the Turtle Group here at 3fatchicks.com. We welcome you to join us as we work toward good health and fitness in a persistent manner. As our inspiration we use the race between the turtle and the hare where the turtle was the victor because he didn't give up. We believe in keepin' on even when the odds are against us. We believe in giving each other support. Good luck to us all!
Judy Itryharder
(for Lin and Lauren)
Old 01-01-2006, 11:56 AM   #2  
Chick

Hi Turtles!
Today it is grey and cloudy in New York and I've got to say that that's okay because I'm facing a new year filled with new opportunities. I've definitly gotten off the weight loss journey this past week and I'm ready to climb back on board. I know the life I want is based on becoming more fit and losing weight. I know the life I have is wonderful. My resolutions and aims are rolled into the following three:

Think before I speak.
Exercise 3x a week or more.
Eat healthfully when I am hungry.

Good luck to us all. I love this site! Bandit and Mousie and all the lurkers,
have a wonderful 2006!

Judy Itry
234.6/?/thinner into onederland

Last edited by Itryharder; 01-04-2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:16 PM   #3  

I wrote this all out in another journal, Turtles, and cut and pasted. I hope it's not too overwhelming!

I'm not 'making resolutions', but I am setting goals. I've been gathering 'data' and 'evidence' for the last 5 1/2 months now, to try to figure out what my body responds to. I think I have answers, and it happens to fall that I have these answers at this time of year. So anyway.

In the last 4 weeks, I have lost 6.5 pounds. Total, I've lost 19.5 in 22 weeks. Now, obviously there's something about this last 4 weeks that my body likes and responds well to, that it did not have for the first 18. So, what changed?

I had that blood-test scare. I snapped to attention (my greatest fear is that something insidious is going wrong in my body, and I will not know until it is too late). I cut out [most] white flour and sugar and fried foods. My exceptions were every friday, when I could have french baguette at Panera with a friend of mine and have whatever I wanted for lunch. And my body responded, and responded well.

So I intend to continue making choices along that vein. I am using fitday.com to monitor my cholesterol and sodium intake. During the 'week' I have these guidelines:

*beef/red meat maximum once a day
*at least one protein shake/day w/ skim milk, protein powders, and peanut butter (EFAs)
*veggies come before starches
*at least 1600 calories. I know, I know, I need more than that, I'm really trying to find choices I'm comfortable with. Once I can consistently hit 1600, I'll raise it to 1700. I have to take this a step at a time.
*water as appropriate

For my own sanity, I'll try to plan my days ahead of time, so that it's balanced and I don't have to worry about it.

I have my weight loss goals which I am still pursuing. My next goal, which is as far ahead as I want to look, is 263.0. In a realistic sense, I lose about a pound a week, so I should see that goal around my birthday (3/18). I'm going to set goal #6 (225 pounds) for next Christmas. I would love to have 2 pounds a week lost, which would put me at goal by Christmas. But I'm not going to put that sort of pressure on myself.

For exercise, I will use my home equipment and continue with my walking/class as I have been doing. I am still pursuing a running goal. I have my eye on running a 5k (3.1 miles) by the end of the year. I can walk that in, at my fastest right now, 52 minutes. I have my eye on running the whole distance, in less than 30 minutes.

So there are my goals for the coming year. Really, I think they're realistic changes I can make. Have been making. The 'resolve' comes in with continuing to make them. With a check-up blood test on Feb 6th and a 6-month test on June 6th, I should stay on target.

So there you are, Turtles. Not really any changes from what I have been doing this last 4 weeks, but written out and solidified.

Judy, yours sound great. Bandit, check in soon! Lurkers, feel free to contribute!
Old 01-01-2006, 11:23 PM   #4  

Okay, Turtles! Been doing a lot of plotting today (planned my food, planned tomorrow's food, planned my exercise for the week, did today's 5k) and I've decided that I will be exercising with certain outfits in mind.

I'm the one in the coral dress on the left in this picture. Of course, this picture was 6 years and 97 pounds ago:

http://www.soulshaven.f2s.com/images...ding_small.jpg

For Christmas, I was given a pair of knee-high red-black Doc Marten boots. So! Next Christmas everyone in my family is coming to CA, and I'll be working toward wearing that dress with those boots. Go me!

(Have I mentioned that my personality is a bit punk? )
Old 01-02-2006, 11:19 AM   #5  
Chick

Mousie,
Loved your resolutions/aims/goals/life perspectives!!!!!! You're doing so well at figuring out what works for you.
By the way, I love that you're a bit "punk" and I'm looking forward to you wearing your boots and coral dress too. Weigh to go!
Judy Itry
today is the first day back on track. My family has gone back home and I'm establishing my routine again.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Happy New Year to all you Turtles:

Well I had a great Christmas & New Years. Lots of visiting, entertaining, drinking, eating and just enjoying the holiday.

But back to reality & that means planning my meals, getting regular exercise, faithful journalling and being accountable for my actions.

Our ww meeting was closed last week but I will be going this Thursday.
I will be up abit but that is to be expected considering what has passed these lips over the last 2 weeks.

But, overall I am back on track & looking forward to 2006.

Sounds like everyone had a great holiday - so here's to a great new year for us all.

Cheers!!
Old 01-04-2006, 08:36 AM   #7  
Chick

Bandit, I love the way you handle your social occasions. To only be up a bit is my aim for the holidays next year. I congratulate you!

Yesterday was a very good day. I'm getting my head and my house back in order. I am decluttering both and it feels good. I've got my weekly dinners planned and bought the fresh veggies that will make it happen. This morning is my WI and it will be terrible, but I have already knocked off two of the holiday pounds I packed on and I am on the right track. Yay! (To be honest, I am still in shock about what I did over the holidays. Having my kids here was too many for too long and I needed to take better control of the situation and instead I ate over emotions. Please understand I love them and it was a wonderful visit, but the baby is exhausting, I try to help too much, get exhausted myself and then overeat. Not smart. Not fun. Not what I want to do. So next time I will come up with positive solutions that will keep me on track. There--I said it and now I'll do it! Thanks for listening.)

Have a great day--get the exercise in and eat right. It'll make us all feel
better! :

Judy Itry
234.6/207/thinner into onederland
Old 01-04-2006, 04:18 PM   #8  

Bandit, way to go getting back on track. I didn't wander too far off track this holiday season, and yet it's SOOO much easier to stay dedicated now! The energy in the world is different, it's weird. I can imagine you getting back on track, and imagine my energy right there with you!

Judy, sounds like you learned a lot from this holiday experience. We know you love your kids, but it's always okay to take care of yourself first. If that means preserving your rituals and guarding your "Me Time", then you go right ahead and do that. No harm no foul! Your weight will level out soon, too. Onward and downward.

I've oddly been 3 pounds up for the last 4 days (I weigh myself every day and just sorta take note--I'm removed from it, like a clinician, so I'm comfortable checking every day). I say "oddly" because for the last 4 days I know for a fact I haven't broken 1700 calories/day! (I use fitday.) So I'm supposing it's water, and trying to pay special attention to drinking lots of water in an effort to make it break. I'm not upset about it, really, it's just strange to me. Weird.

Anyway! Take care, Turtles!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:06 PM   #9  
Chick

Mousie,
Good luck with your pounds--and it is strange. I have a feeling they will disappear as quickly as they came on since you know your food intake is good. It sure is weird!
I went to WW's today and although the weight on the scale wasn't what I wanted, it was still good to get there. I gained 3.6# over the last two weeks. However, adding that on to the gain of the week before, I was up 5.6# for Christmas/New Year. Yes, next year I have to do better. And I am on track now and was yesterday too. Got to yoga today and have had a lovely day. Am winding down now, but just wanted to say hi to Mousie and Bandit and to the lurkers.
Love
Judy Itry
234.6/207.6/thinner into onederland
Old 01-05-2006, 02:24 PM   #10  

Judy, good for you for going back and getting weighed. It's just a place to start--this is NOT where you will end! Yoga sounds great. It sounds to me like you're back on track.

I did a 40 minute walk (2.25 miles) and 25 minutes of class this morning. Midway through class I realized that this class, though I have taken it 6 times, is not going to help me get to where I want to go. I spent a couple of minutes trying to deny it and force myself through, but then she told us to do something else silly (deadlifts with toes in) and that pushed me over the edge. I put my stuff away and left.

I have decided that I will design my own [approximately] hour-long class. I know lots about lifting and exercise, I can do this. I have weights and supplies at home, so it should be no problem. Now I'm entertaining myself with imagining what it will entail. Chest press? Recline flyes? Squats? Lunges? Deads? Ah, the possibilities...heehee. Should be fun!

I also was playing around with numbers, and from today to Christmas this year is 355 days. 100 pounds lost by Christmas day is a deficit of 985 calories/day. Now, everyone knows that bodies don't know from math, and my body certainly never has "played by the numbers". BUT it's entertaining, and it certainly is a thought to focus on for making my 'lofty goal'.

Now if only these mystery 3 pounds would leave so I can get started!

I've got to get cleaned up and go out, Turtles, see you later! Keep taking turtle-steps, and you'll get there.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:26 AM   #11  
Chick

Wow Mousie! You are a prime example of what my WW's leader tells us every week. She says that we are the "experts" of ourselves. Think about it.
It's really very powerful. In your case, your know the class being offered is contrary to what your head tells you is good for you. And the best part is you took action and simply left the class. Now you can go into something exciting and plan a class in weight lifting etc. that is tailor made for you. I mean, look at your education and look at your interests. This will be an ideal thing to do.

One of the reasons I love my yoga class is because the woman teaching it is an expert not only in yoga and physical movement (she has a PhD degree in a couple of fields--movement and also religion) but is perfectly able to assess the abilities of her students. She actually said on WEd. that she doesn't like to demonstrate because then people think gosh, I can't do that and I'll never do that and they won't attempt. Where the attempt is what gets us moving and stretching. Wonderful lady=-very smart and kind. Perfect!!!

I'm doing well. I'd like the scale to move downward a little faster, but that's going to have to be okay. Maybe I'll give my treadmill a try today (my podiatrist says the swelling is coming down on that toe.) Never thought I'd say I miss my treadmill! LOL Everybody have a great day and keep on keepin' on. You're right, Mousie--we're Turtles and we need to take turtle-steps.
Love,
Judy Itry
Old 01-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #12  

It sounds like you have a great yogi, Judy. I miss my old yogi...she went on to pursue her dance career and left teaching. I've never found another yogi I'm so in tune with... I'm glad you've found someone you love, hold on tight!

I've dropped on of the three pounds, but I'm still up 2 pounds today. So I weighed in at 276.5 this morning. I'm not upset about it, because I know for a fact that I haven't overeaten this week. According to fitday I've had an average of 1,610 calories a day--it's possible I need to strive for a bit higher of a daily average? I'll experiment.

Hopefully they'll be off next week, and I can start my 2006 adventure!
Old 01-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Happy Saturyday morning to all you Turtles!

Sounds like everyone is motivated for the upcoming year with all the usual challenges.

Had my w/i Thurs night and was up .6# over the last 2 weeks (last week was closed up here) and have been OP since last Monday but haven't had any exercise this week. My free month membership expired and bf is buying me 3 more months but haven't signed up yet. Hopefully will get over there today - just dragging my butt about it and also we didn't go for any swims this week.

Really need for exercise to be my focus this week (as well as being OP)
The exercise really seems to keep my on track with my eating. Seems if I work-out I don't overeat (guess my deep down laziness is at hand)

Right now it is snowing lots - so probably will have to do some shovelling and that usually takes 1 hour.

Anyway, better get moving so have a great weekend and talk soon.

Bye for now.
Old 01-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #14  
Chick

Bandit, I am amazed at how many skills you have put into place to only be up such a teense of a pound over these last two weeks. I hope you are proud of yourself. You sound a tiny bit down on yourself, but I know you're going to concentrate on exercise now and get yourself into that wonderful frame of mind where you exercise and then eat even better because you don't want to blow the hard work you've done. It all fits together.
Mousie, glad one of the pounds came off. Let us know how the analysis works out and you keep on figuring this out. How's your water intake? Could it be something simple like that?
I'm doing fine. Getting back on track has been tricky and I'm having a heck of a time not eating when I'm not hungry. However, I'm going to read the Mellin beginning chapters again and realize and remember the wonderful feelings I had when I ate when I was hungry only and lost weight each week.
That's a honeymoon I'd like to be on again and I'll make it so. Looks like I've finally shaken off 1/2# this week so far and if I'm careful I can make it at least a full pound off by my official WI.
Have a great weekend. Yes, Mousie, I adore my yogi and I'm sorry yours has gone onto dancing. Have fun, do the right thing for yourself, and let's all get fit!
Love,
Judy Itry
Old 01-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #15  

Good morning, Turtles.

Bandit, up 0.6# is great, for being over two of the three 'biggest' holidays of the year! A trainer once told me that anything ~half a pound was generally ignored as "water fluctuations". So you're up...what...half a liter of water? What a way to look at it!

Judy, I've got my fingers crossed for you getting good results this week. I figure, if you practice getting back on track after falling off, eventually you'll have practiced enough that it happens instantly!

I've been doing the up-and-down thing with the scale this weekend. : I just idly notice if it's not my weigh in, but THIS weekend I was "idly noticing" wild fluctuations! I'm down again today, so I'm hoping I'm on a "down" trend again.

It occured to me that some of this "water weight" (because it cannot possibly be real fat, I'm not eating enough for that) could be because I've been bleeding ever since I got an IUD inserted 2 weeks ago. I've got an appointment for a check back, but that's not for another 3 weeks. Have you girls ever had an IUD? Is this normal for post-insertion?

Anyway. Meals and exercise are planned for today, and I best get on it!
Closed Thread