Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 12:00 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Misty, my favorite is when they ask if you've unplugged it and waited 30 seconds and then plugged it back in. Its been really bad this week, its been so slow, that we've been barely at dial up speeds. And we're paying $45 a month for this! I'm going to have to bug for some sort of credit on our account, because I'm not going to pay that much a month, and then be slower than dial up.

We've done modem tests this week too, and compared them to what we've had in the past, and its soooo much slower. I hate that our cable is in my name, so I'm the one who has to call them and complain about it, and while I know a little about computers and stuff, my boyfriend knows a whole lot more, and understands it better than I do... but I'm the one who has to deal with the stupid support techs.

Quite, Hopefully this will come across like I want it to, and not piss you off I know in the past, I was always saying "I really don't eat that bad, why am I gaining all this weight" and its because I wasn't owning up to what I was really eating, and how much I was eating. When I started back up with WW that was one of my goals, to be honest with myself and count ALL points, even on the days I go way over. Because if I didn't, I know I would fail. Look back over your menus since you've started... see how many days that you actually followed the plan and stayed within your points. If you really were honest and stayed with in the points, then I can totally understand why you are frustrated and upset that your friends are loosing and you aren't. But if you notice that there are more days you went over, or didn't count, then maybe you should re assess what you're doing, and either re commit to following WW or think about changing to a different plan that you can stick to. Also look at the foods you are eating. For me, in the past, when I tried this, I wouldn't change the foods I was eating. I still had chips and cookies and all of that, then I'd be hungry at the end of the day because I wasted my points on small amounts of food... if that makes sense. I notice on the weeks where I have fruit and veggies in the house and eat that, and use points on those types of food, I feel more full and less hungry. I like with WW that you can still have those foods, but you still have to change how you eat, otherwise you're going to be hungry all the time, and be more prone to cheating. Like this week has sucked because I don't have any of those things in the house (cant go grocery shopping until Wednesday) and I've been hungrier and have been tempted to just take a break this week, and go back next week... but I didn't allow myself to do that. Because I want to succeed this time.

I hope I didn't piss you off or anything, or come across as a know it all... cause I don't!! Its just that this time, I want it to be different for me, and having that sort of mind set I tried to explain above is helping me sooo much.
((((hugs))) because I sooo understand that jealousy and frustration!

~Liz
Old 07-15-2005, 12:02 PM   #17  
Alis Volat Propriis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom&Light
That's ok, Quite! (((HUGS))) I totally get jealous of the "fantastic results" on stuff like Atkins- but I feel like crap if I try them. Seriously, I get migraines and can't function for the first week or two.

I would rather just adjust how much I am eating of my regular stuff. It's more livable for me.

But, you could try the Core plan for a week or so- it's almost the same thing.

(((HUGS)))
Thanks you so much for the reminder, Frances. I chose not to do the core plan because it would rely too heavily of me knowing when to stop eating! The same is exactly true for SB and Atkins. I would eat all that stuff and eat way too much of it because 've lost that all-important innate sense of stopping when you're satisfied rather than when you're stuffed to the gills. Thanks, I needed that!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:08 PM   #18  
Alis Volat Propriis

For our intro area:

Name: Quite-a-Handful (I might change this soon though)
WI Day: Saturday
Highest weight: 267
Weight when started WW: 263
Current weight: 255.5
10% goal: 236.7 or 26.3 pounds
Long term goal: 145 ish or so
Plan: Flex
Job: Editor for a national trade magazine; freelance writer
Old 07-15-2005, 12:27 PM   #19  
Simple is Good!

S/C/G: 345/323.6/299

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I chose not to do the core plan because it would rely too heavily of me knowing when to stop eating!
That's why I do Flex, too. I would just eat and eat and eat...I actually, at this point, kind of like the feelings of full and hungry!

And I love your name- Maggie is always the name I wanted...it's so cute and girly.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:31 PM   #20  
Thin Girl In Hiding

Name: Izzywas
WI Day: Saturday morning after I pee
Highest weight: 304
Weight when started WW: 304
Current weight: 281
10% goal: 273 or 31 pounds
Long term goal: 150 maybe?
Job: District Sales Manager for a Newspaper (I'm in charge of 12 towns worth of carriers)
Old 07-15-2005, 12:44 PM   #21  
Just getting started...

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Afternoon, Sistas! I'm going to have to respond to everyone's individual stuff when I get home (didn't realize our thread would be so huge already today!), but Misty, I would LOVE one of your avatars in shades of blue, please!!!

oooh, won't we be stylin on our board?

as for the posting of goals, etc., the South Beach board does something cool. Each month they post one sticky with a list of everyone's goals in exercise and in weight loss. Maybe we could do something like that? then at the end of the month everyone can report how well they did in reaching their goal, etc.

and i was thinking instead of having a list of everyone's names each week, why not make a sticky of a list of our "members" and then if someone wants to be added or removed, they can just post as a note to the sticky so the original author can remove them? maybe we can have one person in charge of that or something?

gotta get back to work! hugs!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:51 PM   #22  
THICK and tired of it

Just got back from swimming for what must have been an hour! I feel GREAT!! I swam really far out and back twice- big accomplishment for me, because I'm not much of a swimmer! I also used my son's power rangers kickboard and that was FUN! Made the water aerobics easier too with something to use for more balance. I can't wait to get to a real pool so I can do some of the moves holding on to the wall. Can anyone point me in the direction of a site that has good info on water aerobics? I'd like to try some more- I love it!

Ok, but I stink really bad after swimming at the lake. Really, it's more of a pond, it is called Hiniker Pond and it is an old gravel pit. Anyway, last night after swimming Lisa and I washed our suits in a small load and now everything in that load smells like the pit. YUK. So what should I do? Add vinegar to the water? Will that help?

I have to eat lunch now because I'm starving! Be strong, ladies!
Old 07-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #23  

Name: HippoHips
WI Day: I weigh in daily to keep myself focused and then do an average each Saturday
Highest weight: 180
Weight when started WW this time: 178
Current weight: 167 (woo!)
July 31 goal: 165 pounds
Long term goal: 125-135
Plan: Basic Points
Job: Telemarketing (yick)

Does anyone know how many points Quik mix is? The nutrition information says per 25 or maybe 28 g. I do not know of or have a way to measure that. :-/
Old 07-15-2005, 12:55 PM   #24  
THICK and tired of it

Oh, whoops! I forgot my intro information...

Name: Izzysgirl (I might change mine too, just to avoid confusion with Izzywas, but I'll let you know when I do)
Highest weight: 212
Weight when started WW: 212
Current weight: 198?
10% goal: 191
Long term goal: 125 (unless that is too skinny-we'll see)
Job: Grad student/English instructor
Old 07-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #25  
Alis Volat Propriis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva_at_40
as for the posting of goals, etc., the South Beach board does something cool. Each month they post one sticky with a list of everyone's goals in exercise and in weight loss. Maybe we could do something like that? then at the end of the month everyone can report how well they did in reaching their goal, etc.

and i was thinking instead of having a list of everyone's names each week, why not make a sticky of a list of our "members" and then if someone wants to be added or removed, they can just post as a note to the sticky so the original author can remove them? maybe we can have one person in charge of that or something?
These are great ideas, Diva. But I think we need to have someone (a moderator, i suppose) create the Slimmin' Sistas area under the "Groups and Clubs" section. Otherwise, we'll just be posting a bunch of different unconnected threads. I'm going to try to find out how to do this.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:10 PM   #26  
Alis Volat Propriis

POSTED TO THE ANNOUNCEMENTS AND FORUM HELP SECTION ON THE MAIN BOARD:

Yoo hoo... powers that be! The Slimmin' Sistas are a group of WW newbies who have banned together for support. Can we have a Slimmin' Sistas thread started for us under the WW Groups and Clubs section so that we can start various threads within our group? Right now, we have just one thread a day going under the Other Groups and Clubs section. Info, please? Thank you!
Old 07-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Yeah, I think it would be good if we had an actual board for the Slimmin' Sista's with a moderator. I am not sure how to go about doing that either. I used to mod a few boards on a message board that used this same system, so I'd be willing to help out in anyway that I can

Here is my intro

Name: Lizzyg
WI Day: Friday or Saturday (it depends on if I work on Friday)
Highest weight: 270
Weight when started WW: 270
Current weight: 257.4
10% goal: I don't have one!
Long term goal: Right now its 200 lbs. I, at one point, was down to 175ish, so I may decide that when I get to 200, I'll either stay at that or get down to 175.
Plan: Winning Points
Job: Dental Assistant who is working as a dental receptionist
Old 07-15-2005, 01:35 PM   #28  
Proud Slimmin' Sista!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quite-a-Handful
A good friend of mine and her daughter started South Beach on Wednesday. Today is Friday, and she has lost 4 pounds, while her daughter has lost 3. In two days, my friend has lost more than half of what I have lost in three weeks on WW. Plus, they're always pleasantly full; they never have to count or weigh or measure; and they're eating meat and eggs and cheese - the full fat version. I'm very happy for them, I really am. But I'm still thinking why the **** am I doing it this way when apparently SB is so much easier and faster.
Oh God, Quite, let me tell you (and our lovely sistas here) a little story. *a-hem* A story about a 21-yo girl in her junior year of college, who weighed 190 lbs and felt fat fat FAT all the time. She did Atkins for a few months, even after her grandmother died four days after Christmas; she kept to the diet. She went from 190 to 160. From a size 16 to a size 12. She was pretty well thrilled. And then summer came. And she took a few cheating days, you know...she figured she could handle a couple of carbs here and a couple there. Until she found herself eating ENTIRE bags of chips in one sitting and ENTIRE bags of Family-Sized Reese's pb miniatures in one sitting (this was a whole meal + dessert to her). Not only did she gain those 30 pounds she initially lost, but then she continued to balloon up to 211. She had heard all along the stories of people who cheated on the diet and gained back every single pound plus some, but she figured it wouldn't happen to her. No, not her. She was good, plus bad things like that couldn't touch her--she was young afterall.

Today, that girl is 23, and has finally shaken loose 2 of those 211 pounds, and all because she did a week of WW. She expects the weight loss to take longer, but she also knows it'll stay off because of the good habits WW will teach her, but which Atkins didn't. If it's not obvious by now (), that girl is me, and I am so proud of myself for getting out of the low-carb trap.

It's so attractive! Eat your WEIGHT in meat and eggs and hard cheeses and still lose pounds! Woo hoo! But what it does is shake your body's energy source up. And once your body becomes accustomed to the new energy source, then what? Then you'll start gaining weight because you're eating five steaks a day, smothered in melted cheddar cheese. You haven't learned moderation. You haven't taught your body which kinds of carbs are good and which are bad. You haven't taught your body which fats to keep and which to flush.

SB claims to offer better examples and lessons than Atkins did...sort of filling in the gaps. And it works for some people. But you have to realize that they don't have a very essential element that WW offers: weekly meetings. With these meetings, we get a sense of stability and routine. We know what to expect and when.

Dropping those pounds in so few days may seem thrilling to outsiders, but the truth is it's not reliable. You won't always lose 4 pounds in three days. Sometimes you'll lose only half a pound. At least WW is more consistent and teaches you things along the way. WW it something that you can come back to, even after you've left, and something that's extremely reliable.

Don't lose hope, sista! You will lose your weight. Don't worry about how fast or slow other people are losing theirs. You're not in a competition with them (even if they try to initiate a sense of competition in you). Don't give them that pleasure.

The only person you are competing against is you.

*big big BIG hug* You're going to do this!

~Amanda

P.S. Read my signature sometime. I take those words seriously to heart.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:42 PM   #29  
Proud Slimmin' Sista!

Hehe...it apparently took me forever to write that...there were so many posts that weren't there when I started, haha!

Well, here's my info! (Also, Quite, thanks a bunch for yoo-hooing to the powers that be! I hope they get us a moderator! )

Name: Calpurrnia
Highest weight: 211
Weight when started WW: 211
Current weight: 209
10% goal: 21% (190)
Long term goal: 135...*sigh*...back when I was 135, I actually thought I was hideously obese. And now I see those pictures and think, "What an adorable, curvy body I had!"
Plan: Flex Points
Job: Full-time English Master's student (pursuing degree from Auburn University); teach 2 first-level composition courses.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:17 PM   #30  
Thin Girl In Hiding

It is exactly 50 steps one way to the toilet from my desk here at work. I figure I pee at least 5 times a day here, at least!. Thats 500 steps JUST going potty! It's the potty dance! YIPPEE FOR FRIDAYS!

Okay, here's my food for the day...

Friday July 15,2005

B-Honey Bunches of Oats cereal 2p
1 cup 1% milk 2p
1 cup Light OJ 1p

S-Natural whole almonds 4p

L-6 inch ham/turkey sub from Subway 6p
1 packet light mayo 1p
Baked chips 2p
Diet Rite ZERO

S-100 calorie pack Chips Ahoy 2p

D- 4 oz chicken breast 4p