View Poll Results: What kind of films have the strongest effect on you? (And then tell us your top 5!)
Horror films with blood and guts (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Scream, etc) 1 5.26%
Psychological thrillers (The Sixth Sense, Psycho etc) 2 10.53%
Romantic weepies (Terms of Endearment, Dying Young etc) 8 42.11%
Historical epics (Titanic, Shaving Ryan's Privates, etc) 0 0%
Action! (Gladiator, Independence Day etc) 0 0%
Anything that makes you think THAT'S ME! (Bridget Jones) or that COULD be ME (Meg Ryan, Sandra Bullock etc) 6 31.58%
Other (go on, tell us!) 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2001, 06:30 AM   #1  
flibbertobbergenie!

Talking

Hi Guys! Just starting off since I haven't done a poll for yonks. Yup, I'm sitting in front of the computer again and I'm BORED again. But the chapter is slowly starting to take shape, I have all the bits written, it's just a question of pulling them into some kind of order. Once this one is done (tomorrow - if I'm lucky) that will be half the thesis written. YIPPEE!!!

Am slowly getting back on track after my 2 disastrous weeks, but for some reason I am still resisting journalling. I think I want to test myself - like, see how far I've got into the good habits and how far I still rely of the cognitive therapy of writing everything down and analysing it ... Will report back after WI next week! Today I am treating myself to a coffee, usually I just drink infusions or water, but for some reason I was CRAVING coffee today. And it's yummy!

I voted for thrillers on the poll because after I saw The Sixth Sense I couldn't sleep with the light off for a couple of nights. Seriously. It spooked me that much. I saw it about a week before I got together with Blokey and he still remembers my face after I got back from the cinema ... Now, my top 5. Hmm. Ok ...

In no particular order ...
Ordinary People
The Princess Bride
Empire of the Sun
Traffic
When Harry Met Sally

If I had a top ten, the other 5 would always change, but I think these 5 would always be there ... Traffic is the most recent addition, I saw it twice in the cinema and I could watch it again and still find more in it. Now I wanna hear all yours!

OK, gotta go. Back later!

Lxxx

Last edited by Lollybird; 05-24-2001 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-24-2001, 07:35 AM   #2  
Scotland's finest export

shaving ryan's privates?....
Old 05-24-2001, 07:42 AM   #3  
Scotland's finest export

Default i voted other

most memorable films vary for different reasons. they could be a classic cult movie (rocky horror show) or a really badly written and predictable film (what lies beneath springs to mind there...sorry harrison, but it was pants (as we brits say).)
i really love films that surprise me and make me think. bridget jones was vg. gone in 60 seconds was vvvvvvbad. when i was younger i loved flatliners. can't think of a top 5 right now cos work is calling me....
hello to lolly and everyone else about to post! more later,
kirsty
Old 05-24-2001, 07:54 AM   #4  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

ok in my lack of sleep im going back to bed after i finish my coffee I chose movies i could see me in

i havent seen bj yet
im just listin lol
ferris beuller
back to the future
ET
Annie As i said in th epoll i wanna be rich lol
any 80s john hughes movie
angelas ashes
hte patriot ok before i start rambling and come up with striptease lol BACK TO BED
oooh and Monty Python
and miss congeniality SHE WAS MISS NJ!
Old 05-24-2001, 08:42 AM   #5  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

I said Other beacuse I have no idea how to classify my favortires.

My favorites are The Outsiders and Goonies!

Am I weird? Probably. I know them both by heart.

I need to get back into journaling. Ever since I maintained two weeks in a row after working my tushy off, I've been unmotivated. I don't think I"ve gone over much with points... I just think I should journal to make sure. I have still been making good food choices, so I haven't fallen off the wagon - I'm just kind of hanging on.

Plus I'm going away for the weekend for a wedding and prob won't journal all weekend. So I'm thinking I'll start journalling again on Monday. I know I should just start today... agh!

Lisa
Old 05-24-2001, 08:59 AM   #6  
Proud Mama

Default Movies?

What are movies? I didn't vote. I haven't seen a movie since summer of '99. Pathetic, huh? They are wasted on me anyway, since I never remember them more than a day after I've seen them. I do know most of The Princess Bride by heart though.

Back to work today. Boohoo. I'd love to get paid full-time and stay home full-time. Think I could rig that deal???

Better run. Tons, and tons, and tons of work... Unfortunately, nobody came and did it all while I was gone yesterday.

I did good on points yesterday. Now I've just go to make it two days in a row!

Catch ya later.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:14 AM   #7  
flibbertobbergenie!

Oh yeah, Kirsty, I used to love Flatliners too, my sister and I were both big Kevin Bacon fans. And Lisa - The Outsiders! I think I still have that on video from about 10 years ago. My sister and I knew it all by heart too, I think the tape is even a little warped around the part where Sodapop (Rob Lowe) comes out of the shower with only a little towel round him ... Oh, and Kierie - Monty Python are the best! I was so obsessed with them when I was at school, I have all the audio tapes and all the books ....

Lxxx
Old 05-24-2001, 09:22 AM   #8  
Mom to 2 beautiful girls!

I am VERY tired today. The graduation ceremony was very long and boring!!! Then after I got home I had to run the dog because she was cooped up all night... I jogged her all the way around the block. It was amazing. She tried to pull me faster, but I kept an even jog... must have taken me about 3 or so minutes, but I did it. I haven't jogged for real in about 8 years. Bad knees... But lately I have been mixing some short jogs into my walks on the treadmill. Anyhoo, the dog loved it! Then I had to eat a skinny cow to celebrate!!! Then finally off to bed late!!

Favorite movies... well, I voted romantic, because I was assuming you wanted to know what films really affected me in a personal way... if you want me to cry, it's the romantics... or the sad ones where someone dies. Any movie where the person gets an illness really grip at my heart, mostly because my mom has battled cancer twice. BUT, my favorites are really not in that category... I LOVE ALL TYPES of movies, so it is hard to choose. But the 1 movie I know by heart it.... GREASE! I LOVE IT. Even saw the broadway version. I also love the 80's John Hughes movies. The Wedding Singer cracks me up.... BUT have you ever seen Murials Wedding... I LOVE THAT ONE!!!!

Oh i could go on and on about all the movies I love. I used to love the mini series Lonesome Dove when I was in HS. Drawing a blank now... maybe more later!!!
Old 05-24-2001, 09:38 AM   #9  
flibbertobbergenie!

Can you tell I'm bored?!

Kirsty - that's what blokey calls Saving Private Ryan and so I can't think of it any other way now! I had Rocky Horror on video until my sister lent it to a friend and we never got it back ...

And Jen - The Wedding Singer! I can't see Boy George now without thinking of Alexis Arquette singing 'Do you really want to hurt me?'. That's the only Adam Sandler film I've seen and I think he's really good in it (you really feel for him!), but apparently his other stuff is pretty awful. And that song he sings at the wedding ...

Re: the poll, I guess I was just interested to know if anyone else gets so moved by films, that's how I judge a really good film, if it makes me feel something either physically (like, FEAR!) or intellectually - like, after Traffic, my mind was just buzzing. Of course there are loads of films I like for other reasons, sometimes its aspirational (all the Nora Ephron films, I want that lifestyle, I want to be Meg Ryan!), sometimes I just want eye candy.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:49 AM   #10  
Scotland's finest export

of course, british films are the best (four weddings, notting hill, bridget, lock, stock etcetc)...
and i suppose i should stick up for braveheart and rob roy.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:52 AM   #11  
Diet Dr Pepper Rules!

Default Hello all

Well, I am home sick and have not been able to get to a computer. this is going to have to be short as I don't want to sit at the computer long. Hopefully I will have a lap top soon and can post more. I have not read since last week, so forgive me if I missed something.

Lolly: get you chapter done. Half way , that is great!

kirsty: Have you had your interview yet? How did it go? what did you end up wearing?

Jen: Good for you for getting a little jogging in, but make sure you take care of your knees.

Well, I need to get off this chair and back to bed. I will try to post again tomorrow.

Trish
Old 05-24-2001, 09:53 AM   #12  
Diet Dr Pepper Rules!

Oh, I have ment to say Hello to Janet and Cuba. I saw that you both were back right before I was sent home forever. Glad to see you both!

Trish
Old 05-24-2001, 10:00 AM   #13  

Good morning!

Good poll!! I chose psychological thrillers, but I don't like that kind of movie, I think because it does affect me. I saw Silence of the Lambs and I think it took me weeks to not think about that movie!!

Here are my top 5 movies:

1. Dirty Dancing
2. Grease
3. The Green Mile
4. Armageddon
5. Pretty Woman

I think I like the movies the best that the girl gets her guy in the end. I agree with Jen, I have seen Grease so many times, I can recite all of the lines in the movie!!

Went out with my brothers last night for pizza and some beer, went over in points yesterday, so I need to really watch it today! Still trying to work water in again, I used to drink it so religiously, now I can barely drink a glass....I have really hit bottom, and now am trying to bring myself out of it, not sure where I lost all of my motivation, but it is taking a long time to get it back. I am in this for the long haul though, I am not giving up!!

Jen ~ Graduations, I think, are no fun! Sounds like you had a great jog last night!

Janet ~ When you figure out how to get paid for full time but only work part time, let me know, o.k.!!

Lisa ~ I know exactly how you feel about journalling, I am having a hard time too, I need motivation!!

Kierie ~ My DH would vote for Striptease.....the scene where she is on stage and rips off her shirt, gets him every time, he about falls off the couch!

Hi Lolly and Kirsty!!

Well, better get back to work, my boss is gone until Tuesday, so I am finding it difficult to get anything done now, I would rather post to you guys!!

I'll be back.....
Old 05-24-2001, 10:03 AM   #14  
Parrothead

Default Thursday means almost Friday!

I know I've only been at work a couple of days but I am already wanting the long weekend. We won our football game last night and the post-game celebration is making me tired today. This girl plowed into me during the game, so I am really sore. I also have a huge bruise on my leg which will be very attractive for swimsuit season!

Way to go Jen on the Running thing! Maybe I should get a dog.

Lisa ~ I'm a big goonies fan also! Any movie from the 80s brings back good memories (along with early Madonna, Bangles, and Bananarama songs).

Hi Kirsty and Kierie!

Lolly ~ For the poll I answered romantic tear-jerkers, but I like many types of movies.

I have to think hard for my top five, but heres a try:

1. Tommy Boy - This movie makes me laugh every time! I know many of the lines also.
2. Sliding Doors - Just a cool story line.
3. Steel Magnolias - a classic chick flick.
4. We've Never Been Licked - a 40's WW2 movie that was filmed at the Texas A&M campus. Gig 'em Aggies!
5. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Early Helen Hunt and Sarah Jessica Parker. Great Flick for a rainy day.

Ok, thats my list.

Hello to all I missed! I've gotta run now!
Kay

P.S. - Hi Trish and Tonya! I think we were posting at the same time. Trish - I hope you feel better soon!
Tonya ~ I have Beer and Pizza tonight so wish me luck! Grease is another favorite of mine!

Last edited by TxAggie; 05-24-2001 at 10:07 AM.
Old 05-24-2001, 10:17 AM   #15  
Eve's Mom

Default Long live princess bride

I also loved the Thorn Birds, Annie, Mulan, Ever After, and...

The WEDDING SINGER!!

Was OP yesterday again - yee haw -and I tried a skirt that was snug andis now not - so scale be damned I am losing something!! Lolly - you may be right about firming up (hope hope)

Must go, duty calls - great poll BTW!!!

Belle
Closed Thread