Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2001, 08:06 PM   #16  
Inchworm

Hi, from sunny Calif! we got a little break in the heat, today! Whew! we needed it!

I weighed in this morning, the leader excused my absences because of my surgery...I lost 2.8 pounds, so I felt pretty good! Rebecca, this thing really is a life-long journey! I have been such a yo-yo! I get so angry with myself, but when I get back on program, and start losing, I am pleased with myself, once again. I'll get my 10 pound star next Saturday, again!

Patti, I'm so glad that your ds is o.k.!! What a scare to get a call like that at work!
Regarding tears at graduation, I am prepared this time. I didn't think it would happpen 2 yrs ago at her sisters graduation, but those tears just sneak right up and grab you!! seeing the granddaughter that we had raised, graduate was an extra emotion that I wasn't prepared for....this year the second one and in 2 years the 3rd and last one!!!

texaslady, you asked about Melissa's plans...she is enrolled in our Jr College, in a Teacher Prep program, she wants to teach elementary kids.....this program at the JC, prepares them to flow right into one of 2 Universities nearby.
We went shopping this afternoon and got her a graduation dress. We still need to find shoes, and probably another dress or outfit... she has graduation, grad night party, Baccalaureate, a senior breakfast, and a couple of parties. Her sweethearts mom is having a party for the 2 of them at their home, it will be a pool party, She already bought Melissa a new swimsuit for that.

Merri, Welcome back! Hang in there girl! we can do it! (It is easier at your age! stick with it!)
{{{{{CAROL}}}}}

Hi to all I missed!
~~~~

Joyce

Last edited by gmalil; 05-26-2001 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-28-2001, 01:28 AM   #17  

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!

Well, I am now officially the mother of a high school graduate. Everything went great and the ceremony was beautiful. DD looked so pretty in her bright, royal blue gown...but then again, I may be just a little bit prejudiced. There were only two minor "clouds" on the entire day...one was that a silver trinket box that I was having engraved with some "mushy words from mom" wasn't ready when it was supposed to be, but I will give her the gift tomorrow. I just really wanted her to have the gift on the day she actually graduated. The other "cloud" was that Tim's mom didn't attend. She and some friends had rented a cabin on a lake, but she promised Krysten that she was going to come to the graduation and then go back to the cabin. She called and said that she just didn't want to leave her friends alone at the cabin. Tim was very upset with her, but it didn't surprise me one bit. DD was disappointed, but she wasn't really surprised either. It bothered me because we were at Tim's graduation and my mother even went to see him graduate. Tim's sister was there today, and that meant a lot to us. I didn't really have time to get too emotional before the ceremony, and I held up pretty well during it. I've been cyring for weeks now, so I guess I had gotten over the "shock." I just had this overwhelming sense of pride, and I'm excited for her to start this new chapter in her life. I'm sure I'm just having a delayed reaction, and I will probably being crying to y'all for weeks to come!

I spent Friday night and Saturday visiting my best friend who lives about 1 1/2 hours away. She had invited me to come stay with her because her husband and youngest daughter were going to be out of town at a fast pitch tournament. I really needed to stay home and get ready for graduation, but the thought of laying by her pool was too much to resist. We had a "cold" front come through, and it was too chilly to swim, but we went to a crafts fair and festival that her town was having and we went to see the movie "Pearl Harbor." The movie was great...and very long. I also finally got the chance to see their new colt that was born a few months ago. He was almost as tall as I am, and is into a biting phase. He was so full of himself, and realized right away that I was a "new face." My friend had a great time watching me run from this little colt as he chased me around the pasture. I don't know what it was about me that he liked...or disliked...but he wouldn't stop chasing me and trying to bite me. I finally had to make a bee line for the fence and my friend said she had never seen me move so fast...and through barbed-wire!! Of course, this is the same friend who was remodeling her house and neglected to tell me that they had removed the toilet from the bathroom off their laundry area. I think I remember telling y'all about that incident. It was Halloween and we had been out late and came home to a pitch black house. We had been riding around for hours and I had to "go" so bad that I was literally unzipping my jeans as I was running into the house. I sat down...and surprise...there was no toilet...but there was also no holding things back any longer. When I came out of the bathroom, Susan was laughing so hard that she couldn't talk. Did I say that she was my "best" friend???? Maybe I need to rethink this!!

I feel like my pc is about to freeze up, so I'm going to send this and then finish posting.
Old 05-28-2001, 01:47 AM   #18  
Inchworm

Janet!! What a night owl!
Exciting days are like that though, aren't they!!
Sorry about the 2 dark clouds.
I think it is totally grand that you have such a neat best friend to laugh with and play with the way you describe!! It was great that you took the time and went to be with her, you probably needed some rest and relaxation about this time!
You lead a wild life! I have never been chased by any size horse, and I will keep it that way , thank you very much!
It's not quite Memorial day here, yet, but guess I will welcome it in from the inside of my eyelids!
Good night!

~~~

Joyce
Old 05-28-2001, 02:35 AM   #19  

JOYce, I am a night owl. Unfortunately, my body doesn't cooperate anymore...I want to stay up late, but usually I am out like a light by 10. You are probably right about it being the excitement of the day. You are also right about me being lucky to have a friend who I can laugh with. Susan and I have been friends for well over 20 years, and we have shared many a laugh...and many a tear. There have been many times when we have called one another at 3:00 am crying about something. I guess that is what true friends are all about...being able to share the good and bad times...kind of like being married. I was cracking up as I read your comment about the horse. I don't know why, but I seem to have the oddest things happen to me. I felt silly being so scared of this little colt because I love horses, but he was terrifying me. If you could have seen him when he lifted up his head and pushed that upper lip (do horses have lips??) to expose those huge teeth. I asked my friend if it would hurt if he bit, and she said "YES!!!!" We did toy with the idea of getting a "tiny" nip so that we could go visit the local ER. My friend's husband is a doctor, and one of his nurses had called earlier for something and had told Susan that "the cutest man she had ever seen" was on call in the emergency room. Apparently doctors from surrounding towns take turns "moonlighting" in the ER's. Anyway, I suggested to Susan that perhaps she could let the colt take a small bite out of her so that I could take her to see this new doctor. I don't know why, but she didn't get too excited about my idea.

Enjoy Melissa's graduation activities. I know it means so much to her to have you by her side, and that is so nice of her boyfriend's family to throw them a party. Krysten just got home and she asked me if I cried today at the graduation. I told her no and she said "Vickie did"...that's her stepmother. Now I feel really bad!! She then said "that's okay...you will cry your eyes out when I go to college." She is probably right!!

Patti, I am so glad that your DS is okay. I know that your heart must have sunk when you got that phone call. That is my biggest fear, and I find myself worrying about it constantly. DD had a similar thing happen last December when she was on her way to march in her last high school Christmas parade (which she ended up missing). A man slammed on brakes to avoid a dog and wham! I agree with the others that it sounds like your son handled things very well. I know that you are so proud of him!! He sounds like a wonderful boy.

Carol, bless your heart!! I'm sending you prayers and hugs too!! I'm glad that you have gone ahead and scheduled the consult with the surgeon. I know that you will feel much better when you know for sure. I'm still confident that everything will be okay! You have my number and I'm here for you if you ever need me. I'm a good listener!

Merri, welcome back girl. We have missed you! You just keep posting and you will get all the support that you need. I think it was Texaslady who talked about how much you used to inspire us with your dedication to the gym. I still can't wait for you to go prancing by that guy who made that candy bar comment when you make it to goal. He can just eat his heart out!!

Liz, I'll pick out the cutest construction guy and get him into the mail to you Tuesday!! That "guy in heat" at the gym doesn't know what he is missing by not talking to you...it's his loss...but somehow I don't really think that is the kind of guy that we want to see you with anyway. There is someone much, much better waiting out there for you...and I hope he has a brother for me!! Seriously, you just keep working on that self-esteem and Mr. Right will come along when you least expect it.

Rebecca, it was good to hear from you! Don't get discouraged. I agree with Texaslady that you have done so good and you can't let a few bumps get you down. Just hang in there!

Texaslady, enjoy working on DD's house. We will definitely plan a New Orleans trip if we don't get to go in September, but I haven't completely given up on that one yet. I love NO, so even if I do get to go in September, I would be ready to go again anytime you wanted to. Oh...and I have "CRS" too!

Jan, I guess y'all are having a great time in Laredo right about now. I am remembering the wonderful time we had at that lovely restaurant...and still thinking about that mirror that I wanted but couldn't bring back on the plane!

Saara, I miss reading your posts so much! Tell that roomate of yours to hurry and fix the computer!

Hi to anyone I might have missed. I better send this before I freeze up again. It is SO frustrating to type and type only to lose your post! Y'all have a wonderful Memorial Day and remember all of those wonderful men and women who gave their lives for our country! That movie about Pearl Harbor has me feeling VERY patriotic!

Janet (Kudzu)

Last edited by Kudzu; 05-28-2001 at 03:11 AM.
Old 05-28-2001, 05:51 AM   #20  

I hope everyone's holiday weekend is going well. All we have had is rain so I have been holed up in the house. Like I would melt if I went out in it! Not!

Janet: congrats on graduation. Hugs to you and your dd from all of us. (Actually I just misspelled hugs with a "o". That wouldnot have made any sense)
Horses bite?!!! Not in those cowboy movies they don't! And lips? I can feel those nightmares coming. Whatever happened to a cowboys best friend is his horse?
I also had to laugh at that story about the missing toilet. I also have a friend who has been my touchstone since college. We have been there for each other so many times. There is something about a bond between friends that can make life so special.

Joyce: I will be keeping my fingers crossed for that 10 lb mark. I know how you feel about the again part. Can't seem to get past that mark myself. And mine is not a plateau but the old on one day/off the next three syndrome. cheez!

I think that there is a break in the rain so I am going to dash outside for a little yardwork. I bought some more tomato plants that I need to make the container for. I peeked at the ones I have and they are growing! Horray! My friend says that I am overdoing it. I have six zuccini plants, three eggplant and three pepper. Three cherry tomato, three better boy tomato, and I just bought six beefsteak tomato. If I don't get at least one tomato out of all that I will scream!

Hi to everyone!

Liz
Old 05-28-2001, 07:06 AM   #21  

Default Finally...

yes, I did found out on Friday, that I have been accepted into the University of Utah for next academic year!!! So I'll be there for the olympics as well, and we will have an extended spring break while the olympics are going on. I'm so excited, but also a bit nervous. I should be flying there in mid August, and there's so many things to do before... 2 months go by so fast...
I just wanted to let you all know. I have to go to work now, but I'll post more in a few days. I hope you're all having a good week! Saara.

p.s. I'm hoping to see you all soon.
Old 05-28-2001, 07:31 AM   #22  

Default Happy Memorial Day!

Good morning! It sounds like everyone is having a good, busy holiday weekend! Mine's been quiet so far- met my dd, etc for a quick lunch yesterday, but that's been about it.
Saara, you posted just as I was staring mine! CONGRATULATIONS!!! The Univ. of Utah is lucky to get you! How exciting! The next couple months will be a whirlwind for you!
Rebecca, don't let the bad week discourage you!! You didn't get the weight on overnight, and you won't change your eating habits and get it off overnight! Just keep on keeping on. Make yourself a list of all the reasons you want to lose weight- including being healthy- and post it on your refrigerator, along with the worst picture yoou can find of yourself!! Speaking of which, I just came across a doozey of me pre-weight loss! In it I'm bigger than everyone else in the photo put together!
Jan, I'm thinking about you and dh there in Laredo, shopping and dining at Victorias! I can't wait to hear all about it!
Merri, now, now- no more of those "fat, nasty body" thoughts!! You are a beautiful person who deserves to enjoy the benefits that weight loss and a healthy lifestyle will bring! If you view yourself with disgust, you'll soothe the disgust with food, a habit which got us all here!
Texaslady, any time you can't remember how old you are, just ask me!!I remember you're a year older than me! Didn't we work together on the building crew for Noah's Ark?? Be careful of your back with all this moving stuff!!!
Patti, how was the dinner with your sister's family the other night?
Liz, your weather seems to be pretty much like ours here in MD. We've had some really nasty storms (and a tornado) over the past couple days. Your veggie garden sounds wonderful!!! Ship some my way when those tomotoes come in, will you?
Joyce, congrats on the 2.8 pound loss!! I'm glad your heat wave has lessened a bit, especially with all the power problems California is having! Have you had any of the rolling blackouts in your area?
Janet, aren't you glad for those lost pounds when you were outrunning that colt??? I sure would love to have seen that!!! I'm glad you were able to spend some time with your best friend- I'm sure that helped you after all the emotional stuff you've been through lately getting ready for Krysten's graduation. You deserved a break! Don't remember the potty story before, but I loved it!
I'd better run. Thanks to all of you for the hugs, positive vibes and prayers! It's going to be a LOOONG week, I'm afraid!
Have a great day, everyone.
Carol
Old 05-28-2001, 08:12 AM   #23  
Dave Matthews Addict

Hi, everyone... remember me?

I've been AWOL for so long that I can't believe it. I had to take a break from WW while I dealt with a recurrence of my eating disorder and some depression and a panic disorder, but now I'm back in full force. Today is day one of my new recommitment to WW and losing weight the HEALTHY way.

Since I've been here last, I've finished my thesis and almost graduated. I got to participate in the ceremony, but because of my problems, I ended up failing accounting, leaving me one class short of graduation. I'm taking it in July, though, so I'm feeling okay about the whole thing. With the problems that I had and the severity of the depression, to have gotten this close to graduation is a major accomplishment.

I've stocked my house with good-for-me foods, but I'm going to head to the grocery store today to pick up a few remaining things.

I'm excited to be back, and I can't wait to start losing THE RIGHT WAY again!
Old 05-28-2001, 10:12 AM   #24  

Default Welcome back, Kendra!

Kendra, I'm so glad you are feeling better and are back with us! It sounds like you've really been through a lot! Congratulations on getting back on the program- we've missed you!!!
Carol
Old 05-28-2001, 10:21 AM   #25  

Default I feel loved....

Hi gals....

Well, I felt so loved i am surprised you guys remembered me so.... Well, the gym thing has been off and on I guess I kind of stopped going for awhile. I recently started doing water aerobics and absolutely love it.... I'm not so self-conscious like I usually am when I exercise. You know Kudzu I don't think I'll ever forget that candy bar comment - maybe I should use that as motivation..... I totally pigged out this weekend so I'm sort of afraid to weigh in so maybe I'll just do the meetings this week. Maybe I'll do a couple. I think I seriously need the motivation and being here has made me feel like I can do it again!!! I really want to lose some weight within the next couple weeks because I'm going to New Orleans with a few friends and want to look good for the bar scene - I need to find me a few of those southern boys . I am so bad ........

Hope you all have a good weigh in!!!

Merri
Old 05-28-2001, 01:05 PM   #26  

Hi all! Well, we're back from Nuevo Laredo, a bit poorer but a lot more cheerful! We had a great time, lots of walking and shopping (in spite of the 100+ heat). Especially enjoyed the pool (yep, Texaslady, we stayed at La Posada, my favorite hotel). Before losing this weight, I seldom used a hotel swimming pool, and then only after dark and when no one else was around. Isn't it ironic that I let being heavy stand in the way of doing healthful activities? Hmm. We went to Victoria's and shared a chicken fajita plate and a ceviche, just uno margarita each, so stayed pretty much OP. I'm hoping to reach goal before my surgery at the end of June, tho' I'll probably have to go to that meeting where the scales weight 3-4 pounds under! Sure hope they don't buy a new scale!

Kendra, how wonderful that you've returned! We missed you!
And congrats on finishing that thesis; what a relief that must be. Sorry to hear of your recent problems, but it sure sounds like you have overcome them, and are right back on track! Good for you, stocking up on healthy stuff and going back on the WW program! (You're so right, it's definitely the sensible and safe way to keep off the weight for good.) Btw, check your private messages for info about our September get-together.

Merri, the water aerobics sound like fun. Is there a leader for that, or do you have your own routine? And don't be afraid to go to meetings and weigh in; after a little slipup, it's doubly important to get right back on track and face the music. (How's that for a mixed metaphor? ) Sometimes I go to more than one meeting a week, too; it's interesting to hear different leaders, and each group dynamic is unique. Oh, and check your private messages for our second reunion info!

Saara, yay, I am so excited for you! And I agree, Utah's lucky to get you. We'll have to start making plans for a get-together that fits in with your academic calendar. (I guess the September thing is at a bad time for that? The details are in a private message to you.)

Liz, good luck with your tomato plants! Sounds like you have quite a garden there. Our roma tomatoes are bearing really well right now; I made a thin crust shrimp pizza with them last night, yum. And yes, Laredo is still very western, with saddle shops, cowboy hats, guitars and of course, cattle & cactus. It's amazing how the scenery changes in less than 200 miles from our part of Texas, which is rolling hills & oak trees, to scrub brush, sage and sand.

Patti, I agree, after a week like that, maintaining is something to celebrate! Good luck at wi, and I hope the estimate on your ds's car is reasonable.

JOYce, congrats on your loss! That's terrific; I'm sure you'll be heading right down the scale at a steady pace.

Janet, you have the funniest stories! That's kind of scary about the colt, though; he sounds pretty aggressive. My horse Joe used to nip at people, just being frisky, but he never took a real bite out of anything except the roof of my car, once. DH said horses like the taste of paint; wish I'd known that before letting him get near it! Luckily it didn't make Joe sick. My Dad taught us to have a healthy respect for horses' ability to injure people, accidentally of course. He saw quite a few men injured when he was young and worked on those trail drives.

Carol, sending virtual hugs your way, and will be thinking about you this week. Please let us know how things are going! I thought about your little sweetie when I was in Laredo; saw all kinds of cute cowboy outfits that would go with that hat you got for him. Texaslady is right, we'll have to go for a longer trip next time! Maybe we could all stay at La Posada?

Texaslady, did you get lots of stuff moved in to your DD's house over the weekend? Hope the traffic wasn't too bad. I think half of Houston was in Laredo, and the other half went tubing down the Guadalupe.

Rebecca, hope you had a great weekend!

Guess I'd better get back to work; am trying to get stuff done at the office while everyone's gone.

Regards,
Jan
Old 05-29-2001, 01:14 PM   #27  
Inchworm

Where is everybody??
A quiet tuesday morning!
I went for a walk this morning! getting back in a routine
Got a little nervous, the Sheriffs seemed to be looking for somebody....so came back sooner than would have.

Probably nothing more than a run-away from the Youth detention camp that is just over the hill.

I'll get my fearless dog and go do some yardwork..yeh, fearless!! You should have seen her when she spied 2 baby skunks in the back yard!!! She would not get off the deck,( thank goodness!) she just barked nervously at them. she had experience with them a few years ago, guess she has a good memory!

Have a great day!
~~~~~~

Joyce
Old 05-29-2001, 02:06 PM   #28  

JOYce, your dog's a lot smarter than ours was; he just loved to chase skunks under our vehicles, proudly cornering them there while barking nonstop! Way to go on resuming your morning walks!

And you're right, it really is quiet in here. Maybe everyone's busy getting back into their routines after the 3-day weekend?
Old 05-29-2001, 05:22 PM   #29  

Hi Ladies,

Well I did not go to WI last night. Was just worn out. DH and DS and I went to French Quarter yesterday and walked, and walked, and walked some more. DS was taking pictures with his new camera. It was really hot but we had a good time. He is really great with that camera. He has a great eye and takes some really interesting shots. He mostly likes black and white. He took some of some little street jazz bands and some of the artists around Jackson Square and some of the architecture, like St. Louis Cathedral.

So, if I missed two weeks can I just pay for them to catch up next week? Please tell me that I don't have to start over again!!!! I don't think I've gained any, maybe a pound or so.

And also, lo and behold if I didn't get my TOM on Friday!!! Only about 2 weeks late!!!! I talked to a friend of mine who is my age and she said the same thing has been happening to her. Oh well I at least feel better now and don't think I have anything too serious wrong. Thanks to all of you who gave me advice when I was worried.

We got all of the parts purchased for DS's car. Just for the parts it was $879. I'm supposed to get the price for the labor and painting this afternoon. It sounds better than I thought it would be.

The dinner for my neice was nice. I was good and got grilled salmon and it was wonderful!! The restaurant was nice, VERY Italian.

Well, I'd better go do some work!! Hope everyone is doing great and {{{Carol}}} still thinking of you.

Bye,
Patti
Old 05-29-2001, 06:26 PM   #30  

Default Weigh In Day.....

Hi all!!!

Well, I took your advice and went to weigh in today and faced the music and sad to say I gained 3 pounds - Ugh... Why is it so easy to gain the weight but so hard to lose... I guess it's my own fault who else took that extra cake, hot dog, etc... I suddenly felt motivated during my meeting to stick with it this week.

Janet Mae - Yeah I love water aerobics we have a very enegetic leader who brings awesome music!! Sometimes we do water volleyball, and I'm super competitive so I get excited!! I actually don't feel self-conscious because a lot of the ladies are overweight too. The leader told us anytime we want to get certified to let her know - I'll have to lose some more weight before I do that.....

Nawlinslady - Have you lived in New Orleans all your life?? I'm going down there in Mid-June and need some ideas on where some good places to go are?? I can't wait until I go but definitely wish there was less of me going....

Saara - congrads on Utah!!! I am definitely jealous... Would definitely take advantage of those sexy athletic men ....

Well, Talk to you guys later.....

Merri
Closed Thread