Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 07:38 AM   #1  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Default Turtle Club #135

Here's Lin's version of the fable:

Hi, Turtles,

Here's my "official" version of Aesop's fable:

The Hare and the Tortoise

A hare met a tortoise one day and made fun of him for the slow and clumsy way in which he walked.

The tortoise laughed and said, "I will run a race with you any time that you choose."

"Very well," replied the hare, "we will start at once."

The tortoise immediately set off in his slow and steady way without waiting a moment or looking back. The hare, on the other hand, treated the matter as a joke and decided to take a little nap before starting, for she thought that it would be an easy matter to overtake her rival.

The tortoise plodded on, and meanwhile the hare overslept herself, with the result that she arrived at the winning-post only to see that the tortoise had got in before her.

Moral: Slow and steady wins the race.

This comes from a book handed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. The book is so old it doesn't have a copyright date or an author/editor's credit.

That fable has been the motivation for us turtles for several years. Someone on the ancient WW forum mentioned the fable and I discovered it was very motivational for me. I talked about it in posts and other people said that the tortoise philosophy worked for them, too. So, I started a thread for us turtle types.

We work toward accepting that our bodies have a natural speed of weight loss when we choose to live a healthy life, instead of "going on a diet". Many of us have experienced "the diets" as go on/lose weight-- go off/ gain the weight plus more back.

We choose to perservere with each choice we make throughout the day. We believe that choosing to be slow, steady turtles helps us to learn the skills we need to in order to lose and keep off the weight. Our main focus is to become the healthiest people we can be.

So, welcome to all who realize that losing and maintaining a weight loss is a lifestyle change. And who want support as we all learn the skills we need to successfully make the changes that will allow us to reach our goals.

-- Lauren
Old 11-02-2004, 07:41 AM   #2  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Wow, we're sounding good these days. It's heartening.

Choosie, good luck with Nano!

I did great on Halloween day itself, lousy the day before. (We spent Saturday with friends, ate out twice and drank too much. Boy, those alcohol points really add up.) But the good news is that I lost 2 pounds this week and I tracked every single day. I'm continuing to picture myself in smaller clothes every day, which I find really motivating. I'm also doing the old 1-2-3 program, which I just find easier to do.

Well, I'd better get out and vote. Remember, vote early, vote often, especially if you're voting for my candidate!

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/212.5/209 this month (next goal)
Old 11-02-2004, 09:58 AM   #3  
Chick

Height: 5'4"

Hi Turtles,
Lauren, weigh to go on two pounds down. I love that you are visualizing (and Choosie has written about that too). First of all, it works. Secondly, when you write that you're doing the visualization, I remind myself that I am doing that too! It's a powerful motivator.

It looks like eating little yesterday knocked off most of the fluff weight and I'm determined to do well again today.

Love you all--here's to looking spiffy for the holidays.
Judy
234.6/211.6/thinner on way to onederland
Old 11-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #4  

Has everyone voted today? If not, get thee to a polling place pronto!! Just a little Election Day humor.

And how are you all?

Choosie - I am so proud of you for tracking those categories! Regardless of what the scale says, how does completing that goal make you feel?

Judy - Congrats also to you for your Halloween Challenge! You are on the right track. And yes, I am issuing a new challenge. Is Thanksgiving far enough along? It's one of my mini goals until January 1st. I have my eye on a weight loss goal for the first of the year which is only 8 weeks away. I'd love to be around 190 by then. We'll see.

As for me, I am down about 2 lbs. I have decided to focus again on tracking my points. Thanks Choosie for setting such a good example. If I track every day from November 1st until Thanksgiving, I get to have dessert on Thanksgiving Day. After that if I track until X-mas, I get to have dessert on X-mas. Notice a theme here? Since I will be the one to prepare the holiday meals, it would totally suck not to be able to eat some of the dessert.

I also must thank you Choosie for reminding me to visualize. I will take an old pair of blue jeans out of the closet (one of the many which I haven't fit into in years) and hang it on the back of my bedroom door. Each time I want to overeat, I will attempt to fit one of my mammoth thighs into a leg. I will have trouble extricating myself and by the time I do, any cravings will be gone as I will have to immediately attend to the resulting chafing.

On a serious note, my old clothes look so small. And to think that people thought that I was fat then. I am curvy and had an hourglass at 11 so compared to other girls I was fat. I could never fit into Gloria Vanderbilt or Sassoon jeans. Now, it's cool to have a butt. Where was J. Lo then? It just goes to show you that you have to ignore people and their opinions much of the time.

Take care all.

Last edited by n 2 a swan; 11-02-2004 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:47 PM   #5  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Swania, thanks for the huge laugh!! You seriously cracked me up with the jeans imagery.

I have hung a blouse that's just a shade too tight on my bedroom door. It buttons, but let's just say it's not a pretty sight. I look a bit like a damask-covered kielbasa! I find myself visualizing it throughout the day (the blouse, not the kielbasa), especially when I'm confronted with the oceans of junk food at work. It's really helping.

The other thing that's really helping is planning out what I'll eat for the day ahead of time. I don't know why I forgot about that tool, but it has been incredibly helpful. One of my biggest hurdles is mindless eating; I'll snack and nibble throughout the day and then be shocked in the evening when I tally up the points. By planning ahead, I completely avoid that.

Judy, weigh to go on knocking off the fluff! You are doing so great these days; it's a real inspiration. Hey, we weigh almost exactly the same. Except you're probably a willowy 6 feet tall ...

I've got about, oh, 25 pounds of fluff I need to knock off in order to get down to my pre-Italy weight last December. I guess one can't really refer to it as fluff at this point. But that's so much nicer than, say, FLAB.

Well, better go take a nap. I stayed up waaaaay too late last night watching the election results.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 11-03-2004, 08:28 PM   #6  
Chick

Hi TUrtles,
Swania,
I like your challenge ideas. Weigh to go on knocking off two pounds. And yes, hanging those slim jeans up in full view is an excellent idea. I have a red blouse that I love that would be great for the holidays and I am definitely putting it in the front of my closet. Lauren, the kielbasa image in damask pretty much fits the bill as to how I look in that red shirt right now, so the imaging is helping all over.

Lauren,
I'm a willowy 5'4" so if I remember correctly you and I are identical right now as far as height and weight. This is an okay thing. And yes, all weight that we want to take off and discard can be called fluff. I refuse to call it flab.

These last two days have been tough and I had to switch from Core to Flex. And today I think I had to use flex points through December 31st. LOL but I refuse to do that tomorrow. Had to go help my dd with baby today and we ended up starving and at a fast food drive in. Will do better tomorrow. Good luck to all of us. Keep on writing inspiring thoughts and we'll get through the holidays just fine.

Love and good vibes,
Judy
234/211.6/thinner
Old 11-06-2004, 11:25 PM   #7  

Howdy all -

I have tracked the last 6 days and after using 35 flex points in 5 days, I am realizing how many points I actually eat on a daily basis. And to think, a few times I actually wanted to eat something else, but knew that I'd hate to have to write it down. Note to self: you are not a manual laborer who needs all of those calories.

Have a good weekend everyone!

P.S. Is everyone here short? I'm a little shy of 5'2". Perhaps we're just vertically-challenged and not overweight. My weight would be perfect if only I were a mere 8 inches taller.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:59 PM   #8  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, tortoises. It's been quiet here. How are we all coping with the beginning of the two-month lard-binge known as "the holidays"?

After gaining again last week, I sat myself down for a little talk, and I came up with a plan. I'm calling it "Project 26." 26 represents my points target each day on the Flex plan. I decided to eat no more than 26 points each day for a week (what a concept!) and see if my body was still capable of losing. I'm on day four, and so far I'm down 2.5 pounds. Hmmm.

I may yet need to use some Flexpoints this weekend if something unexpected happens (i.e., if some friends pop over and want to go out to eat and have a few drinks), but I've decided to treat Flexpoints as just that -- a way to deal with the unexpected. Not as a fallback cushion each day.

On a related note, I had lunch with a friend yesterday, and the subject of weight loss came up. She said she just wasn't trying anymore, and I told her about the magnet on my refrigerator, which said: "Never, never, never give up." That's my motto, now and forever, amen!

So having said all that, I think I'll aim to have two days where I don't worry about points at all: Thanksgiving and Christmas. But not the day AFTER Thanksgiving and Christmas! (And the day after that, and the day after that ...) Leftovers have not been my friend.

Other plans of attack: Planning my day ahead of time in terms of food. I have been finding that immensely helpful. Also, during the social occasions, I'm truly going to focus on the people, the discussion, the social aspects and NOT the food. I saw one suggestion that you bring a camera, which will make you more focused on getting shots than on the goodies. Great idea, I thought.

What's everyone else's plan for success during this difficult holiday time?

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 11-13-2004, 07:46 AM   #9  
consistent

S/C/G: 227.8/216.2/210 challenge goal

Height: 5'7"

Hi everyone.
I'm back from Oregon. I saw my ex (good decision) and stayed with my friend. I could only get in one serious meal a day while I was with Ex, and lost weight. Then, with Friend, plenty o' meals...and came back with a gain.

Hub put the treadmill back into place for me last night, and today I begin tread-life. I'm also committed to planning meals again... we are so likely to just decide "burgers" when we're tired around here.

OK, Lauren...congratulations on your Plan 26. If a ww pt = around 50 cal, then that's 1300 calories a day. I've been noticing that all the weight loss stories in "Women's World" and "First" magazine are about women picking any program, but keeping cals 1200-1800/day. Please keep us posted, you can be my guiding light.

Swanie, I'm now convinced at the power of writing it down after my month of notes. Since I stopped focusing, I've stopped writing, and I'm not getting water or steps in. Sigh. WHY is this a constant battle? Shouldn't I be on the same side as myself?

Off I go. I'm a little behind for nano due to vacation. Next year I'm not going anywhere in November, remind me. I'm ahead on calories and behind on my word count....

Tread tread tread. choosewell.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:48 PM   #10  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Wow, you are all profound. Yeah, why aren't I on my side? Things have been crazier than ever around here at home and with dd and baby. However, I've gotten pots and pans and everything rearranged in my kitchen and I'll be able to plan again for meals, etc. Dh went out and bought good things for the house and I'll be able to have salads and chicken and carrots and all good stuff again.

I was up 1 1/2# at my WI on Wed. (I made myself go because I had skipped last week). DD is going to go to mtg. in her county and I'll go to my usual Wed. mtg. because I have friends there and they have great tips. Just seeing them makes me smile. So, my comittment is to help my dd in every way that I can, but to reserve Wed. night for my WW mtg. Sounds like a plan. Also I have soup in the house and fixings for good food that I enjoy and can lose weight with. Tomorrow dh and I are joining friends for dinner out. They want to celebrate our birthdays and that's great but I'm getting to the point that eating out is an obstacle. Gotta remember what is on Core and go with that idea because there are plenty of good foods out there.

Glad to hear you're all hanging in there. We are a reflective group and are getting better and better at knowing what works and what we have to do for ourselves. Good luck to all of us as we practice what we know works.

Love,
Judy
234.6/213/thinner on weigh to onederland
I can see myself in my red blouse at Christmas! Yes--we can all lose weight and keep it off.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi turtles:

Hope you are all well. Things have been pretty busy up here & it is starting to get cooler. My friend & I have been jumping around with our ww meetings - trying to find a new leader that we like (hard to get used to new ones). So, I think we are going to go back to the Mon night one. Lately I have been up & down & am getting tired of back-sliding. I have been completely OP today & have drank my water. Everytime I get under 200 I sabotage myself and little by little sneak back up. Currently at #205 as of last night. So I am really trying to refocus & get down some before the Christmas craziness sets in. Sorry to sound negative but it seems like I have been doing this forever - on a positive note, I fit into jeans that were too tight in the summer. Anyway, enough of my complaining & I just have to remember to "just do it"
Bye for now & talk to you soon.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:00 PM   #12  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, tortoisean ones.

Choosie, the treadmill is a great idea. Do you watch videos or something while you do it? I found I did best if I had some great music going, something I could really book to. About not doing what's right for ourselves and why this is so hard ... I wish I had the answer to that! I do think it's pretty complex because there are so MANY bad habits we have, and so MANY reasons we have for overeating. It's not just one thing. Never give up!

Judy, the red blouse visualization is wonderful! I wonder what's in my closet that I could fit into at Christmas ... hmmmm. Eating out is especially hard on Core, I think. Good luck figuring out how to handle that, and let us know what you do. I could use the tips in case I ever try Core again. Have you thought of doing Flex during the weeks you know you'll have a lot of social events?

Bandit, congrats on the skinnier jeans! What could you visualize that would help you get back on track?

Well, Project 26 is going great. I did use Flexies one day last week when we spent the day with friends (we ate both Chinese AND pizza, and had a bunch of scotch!). I ended up using about 24 Flexies that day! But that was the only day I used flexpoints, and I ended up losing 3.5 for the week! Woo-hoo! I have definitely found a good plan for me right now.

So I will continue to just eat my target points each day and save the flexies for unforeseen events. (And no, having a meltdown in the kitchen does NOT count as an unforeseen event!) That means planning ahead what I'll eat each day, which has been very helpful, and also journaling it AS I eat it and not just at the end of the day. That has also been incredibly helpful.

We can do this, folks -- this is a tough time of year, so let's formulate our plans for getting through the season and feeling good about ourselves the morning after!

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/210/onederland
Old 11-17-2004, 11:18 AM   #13  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
Lauren,
God bless you for keeping us on track. You're setting a great example.Hooray on your great weight loss and double hooray for figuring out how to accomplish it.

Bandit,
You're doing great and I understand your frustration. It's scary to get under 200# and I've done what you're doing now more times than I want to recall. Getting into smaller jeans is fine, finding a WW mtg. that works for you is great, and continuing your Curves exercise will get you where you want to be. Remember, we're all sending you a to keep on keepin' on.

Today is my WI and I'll chime in after that. When I went out to dinner on Core, this is what I did: I was starving beforehand and actually made a chicken cutlet for myself and ate it before we left. It was a healthy size--probably about 5-6 ounces. cAll me crazy, but this worked. Arrived at restaurant not too hungry. Had minestrone soup and a sirloin steak with garlic mashed potatoes. The mashed pots. were off Core, but I ate only half of my entire dinner. Had a cup of decaf for dessert and was very happy with the food choices. Eating out in a restaurant can be okay if they have baked potatoes, salad, fish, beef, shrimp, etc. I have to remember to keep it simple.
I think my huge hunger before we left the house was due to anxiety about eating out, so making the chicken cutlet was a great idea. Used steak seasoning to season it and ate the whole thing. I literally did not eat half of my dinner. Took it home in a doggie bag and threw it out. Figured I didn't need garlic potatoes twice in one week. How's that? I am hoping to knock off the 1 1/2# I put on over the last two weeks. I'd be thrilled if I could do that. Have been helping DD with baby and also dealing with new kitchen. I am not complaining at all. I realize I am blessed, but my routine has been off. Yesterday I got back on treadmill for the first time in about a month. If I ever put everything into play at once I know I can get into onederland. Hope today gets me closer.

Swania and Choosie and everyone: good luck to us all. We have a lot to be thankful for. Love you all~~~~~
Judy
234/213/thinner
Old 11-19-2004, 07:04 PM   #14  
Chick

Hi Turtles,
I went to my WI and only lost .4#. I was disappointed because my home scale showed at least another pound down and since the week previously I was up 1 1/2# it didn't sit well with me. However, the advice at the mtg. was good and I'll share it with you.
1. This week does not contain a holiday! From Wed. to Wed. it's an ordinary week.
Hmmmmm.
2. When you feel like going "on a hunt" for something to eat, please check the page in your handbook week 1 that names the different healthy eating guidelines. (I think it's page 34). Look over the guidelines and see if there's anything you could do that would satisfy you. Have you had 5 fruits/veggies? How about a drink of water? Have you had enough protein for the day. (You get the idea)

I know this time of year is tricky. Today has been a good day for me and I hope to see a weight loss this week. I have to keep on visualizing a triglyceride count going down and I have to see myself in that skinny red blouse. Plan and prepare and keep going! I will never give up, but I must make progress!!!!

Wishing you all well during this tricky season. :gouphug:

Love and
Judy
Old 11-22-2004, 09:12 AM   #15  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Wow, Judy, I'm so impressed with your cutlet solution! Good for you. I'll have to remember that one. Thanks also for the book 1 reminders about figuring out what our bodies are truly hungry for. I find on the days I go over my points, I don't get in enough veggies and fruits. That's where I need to go first for a snack.

I just got back from a weekend in Canada looking after MIL, who just broke her right arm and had to have surgery. We bought her lots of groceries, things she can eat with one hand, and front-closing bras! DH installed a bar she can hold onto while getting in or out of the shower. It was a busy week, but I'm glad we went. She's 78 years old, and this has been hard on her.

It was also hard on my diet! I ate too much and ended up using all my flex points. So I doubt I'll lose this week. But I have been writing it all down, so that's good at least.

What's everyone's plan for Thanksgiving? Do you have one? It's at my house this year, and I know what people are bringing. It shouldn't be too bad. I'm making the dressing, so that will be lowfat. I'm also making the turkey; I'll have lots of that. My cranberry sauce is NOT low in points but fabulous; I'm not going to make a lot of it, so we shouldn't have much left over. People are bringing a green salad (good!) and some kind of sweet potato casserole (I'll only eat a small amount of that) and pies (I'm not fond of pie, so that works).

We'll have wine and hors dhoeuvres, so I'll have to watch my intake there, too. I may have a container of nonfat yogurt right before people come, just to keep myself from munching.

The main thing I want to do is just focus on the people. We're having all friends this year, no family, and they're all great people. AND they're all thin!! How's that for motivation? I don't know how I keep ending up with all these size 2 friends! Oh well. I'll just watch and see what they eat.

Be sure to have some kind of plan, everyone -- and may we all enjoy the day! There's so much to be thankful for.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Closed Thread