Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2004, 12:23 AM   #1  

Default Feisty & Sexy 50 & 60 year olds#18

G'day all,

Glenda you did not at all sound like you were preaching but what you said was just sooo true, we all like a little short cut to reach our final goal.
I will stick to tweaking my computer programs and not my diet!!!!
I also love cemeteries and the history of them. I can remember feeling rather sad visiting a very old cemetery in country South Australia where early last century there had been a measle epidemic and many young children died as a result, to see over 80 graves of very young children one can only imagine the grief that would have caused in this very small copper mining town.

Slavika We are re-thinking our trip to the states a bit, we still want to do it but perhaps choose the areas we really want to see, the 'endless' miles of driving does not appeal to me, dh however likes driving but he is also now wondering if we should do it a little different.
No doubt many more changes will be made before we finally get there.

Ann re the pylori etc....that is my understanding that someone here discovered it was some sort of 'bug' that gets into your system, it has the same symptons as an ulcer but is treated with antibiotics. I am not sure either how it actually gets into your system.
When are you leaving for your trip up North and will you still be able to post now and then, 5 weeks is along time without any of your posts

Lily is being very modest, her efforts with Popeye are excellent and very hard to do. I have done a few similar things but have never tackled anything quite as complex as Popeye. I agree with her that it is all very addictive but a little difficult to explain the intricacies of the process.

Karen good to hear you are back home safe and sound again. Pleased the trip was such a success. Egg and olive sandwiches??? I have never heard of them.
PLeased your manager will take over the meeting so you can still spend some time with your son and his bride before they leave.
How long will their tour of duty be? A friend has a son in the Australian Navy and he is somewhere in the region of Iraq (he is not allowed to tell where exactly he is) but his tour is 6 months and he is due back late July.

Marnie what time is your meeting on Mondays? I will double check tomorrow but according to the website there is one meeting at 5 pm and another at 6.30pm. I will go to the 5 pm one.

Peggy how is your move progressing?

I spend the morning removing 4 weeks of weeds out of my garden and it is looking respectable again.

Hope you are all having an enjoyable weekend......

Cheers
Maria
Old 05-30-2004, 01:33 PM   #2  
Net browser

Smile

Hi Everybody

Welcome back Karen I sent you an email because I had so many questions to ask about your new place and the park you chose to live in. When are you thinking you will be heading out permanently, I quess it will depend when you sell your home.
That was so great that you and Ann got to meet and that you will not even be very far from one another. Ann please share your egg/olive sandwich recipe with us....I love both. Do you just make up the egg salad as usual and then put olives in instead of green onion? Sounds good to me!
Glenda I realize that some weeks I will show a gain at WW, but that's ok, the point is to start over again. That's the great thing about going to Weight Watcher's every week. I get a a new chance to start FRESH every Tuesday, with a brand new food diary.
Lily you certainly are one talented gal. I didn't know that you made your "bunny" too. I think I am doing great when I "create" a greeting card from a software program and put some glitter on it after.
Maria you will likely make lots of changes to your holiday plans before you actually set out. I think I have said this before, that I am not happy travelling ANYWHERE by car. I can't read, because I get sick to my stomach, and if there is nothing to see as you travel along the highways (and there usually isn't), it does get incredibly boring. The gal I see on Wednesday's is going on a car trip to California in Sept. with her husband, daughter and sil and she can hardly wait. She loves to travel by car, and reads and does cross word puzzles and has a wonderful time.
Peggy how are you making out? How's the move coming along? Marnie do you still have company? Good for you that you are able to stay with the WW program. It's a great program and we all feel and look so much better when we lose a few pounds.
Trudy how are you making out with puppysitting your "granddoggie". I bet this rainy weather is keeping you both indoors. Our little Princess had a big soccer tournament this weekend, but they were only able to play one game on Sat. and the rest of course have had to be cancelled.
Nothing else to tell you all. Bye now.
Old 05-31-2004, 02:13 AM   #3  
Life Time 2001

Slavika: On traveling. Im so bad. Put me in a car as a passenger. 45 minutes later I can promise I will be as I call it "passed out" I love to go for rides as I can take a nice nap
It was like today. We went to the winerys. Went a different way as hubby wanted to show me something different. I wake up and say are we lost dear? He enjoys it, I sleep thru it Where are we??????? Are we lost?
Old 05-31-2004, 02:13 AM   #4  
Life Time 2001

Oops didnt mean to post twice

Last edited by LilyG; 06-01-2004 at 12:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:07 AM   #5  

Hi All,

See I have been missing in action. Just been busy here. Had some lookers but no bites on the house yet. I guess it will happen one of these days.

Have to go back to the last thread and see what you all are talking about. Seems Karen has found a place to live that is close to Ann. How nice that will be.

Just wanted to pop in and say hi. Be back later.
Old 05-31-2004, 08:34 AM   #6  

Back again.

Maria-glad you are home safe and sound. Your cicadas are like ours. The pesty ones now have been underground for 17 years. They are at their loudest in the afternoon. http://biology.clc.uc.edu/steincarter/cicadas.htm People get creative and eat them. Not this person.

Lily your popeye is great. I wasn't sure what it was either. I thought it was some computer thing that you and Maria know all about.

I agree with all the WW talk. It is the best, most balanced program there is and if you follow it you will lose. I like it because you can have that occasional goodie if you count the points. That way I don't feel deprived.

Trudy your trip sounds like fun and if you broke even that is a good thing. Better than losing.

Slavika thanks for the recipe. Sounds like the dreamsicle cake. I will have to try the peach flavor.

Ann hope you are better and have a good trip. Going back to Maine?

NOw I have to go clean up. Didn't think the realtor would have any lookers this holiday weekend and already there have been a couple. I wasn't expecting it and the dust is piling up.
Old 05-31-2004, 09:47 PM   #7  

G'day all,

I feel slimmer already
Returned to WW last night and the scales did provide a bit of a shock however I have now officially made the start to the new/old me again!
I am surprised at the many changes since last I attended meetings but I feel very positive.
I like the way you now get issued with a passport where your weight is recorded and the many tips in the passport to make it easier along the way with the setting of goals.
I also like the way that the weighing is a lot more discreet than it was in the past and you are now issued with a card if one week you choose not to be weighed.
So Marnie I know it was your weigh in on Monday, how did you go? You have to coninue to set a good example, you were the one to inspire me to start all over!

Slavika loved your emails, thank you. I am like you, I cannot do anything in the car and I dare not go to sleep, I worry that dh might go to asleep as well I do a lot of the driving for that reason.
I wished I could be more like Lily and just go to asleep, it would make long trips a lot better.
I like your new avatar Lily, made it yourself?

Peggy nice to 'see' you, it must be a very busy time for you. I hope you will soon sell your home and get settled in your aunt's home.

Hope everyone is well and happy......
Cheers
Maria
Old 06-01-2004, 12:51 AM   #8  
Life Time 2001

Peggy: It will happen. Just takes time. Here it is weird. A house goes up and its sold almost immediately. Others that are prety much the same take some time. Dont understand it. But it will sell!
Im suprised they were looking this weekend. But it would be a great weekend for looking to! Not so many people. Are you all seattled in the other house?

Maria: Yes WW has made many changes. Glad you like them. I dont know if my sleeping is good or not. I do miss alot. Happens everytime I get in a car. I try so hard to stay awake but it doesnt happen. I think my Mom and Dad drove me around as a kid to make me sleep Dont know for sure tho.
Yes made the new avatar my self.

We worked in the yard today. God I hate it now. I think Im just getting to old. We have so many places that are weed infested. I keep telling hubby I want different. He keeps saying no. (funny he isnt the one doing all the hard labor) Grrrrrrrrrrr. Give me cement!!!!!!!! Cement, cement Provides me with being one happy camper

Back to work tomorrow. ALAS!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by LilyG; 06-01-2004 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:16 AM   #9  

The long week end is finally over. Never thought I'd be glad to see that happen. It was a very weepy weekend for me. We had a lot of family around and along with our 2 service people who will be leaving Thursday. In Church on Sunday Pastor gave a talk on Memorial day and before it was over I was in tears my mom was in tears and so was my Brother's wife . After the service we had a small prayer the three of us and Pastor. Prayers for for My son and new Daughter in law.and all those who are going. Must move on Or I'll spend this day in tears also. What set us off in the first place was our Assistant pastor played a medley of songs on his trumpet beginning with the "Battle hymn of the Republic" I was a goner from there.

Slavkia I hope I answered all your question. I know you did ask what I was doing with my house here. I am giving it to my Mother and Dad It will be moved to the property that my Brother is building and new house on and that way some one will always be close by in case they need help.

The scale is not my friend. I am back on tack today . I wish it would stop raining so I can get out and walk. But it is dark and dreary and danky out there. I thinking maybe we need to build an ark

About the house we bought in Florida. It is 2 bedroom 2 bathrooms. The bedrooms are nice and large. Bathrooms are a little small but the size of the other rooms makes up for it. After all how much time do you spend in the bathroom? There is the living room and kitchen and a dinning area with a built in hutch. Also a nice size Florida Room. The best thing about this place is it needs no work. We are not fixer uppers like some people are. Remember the tramma of just putting in new carpet here. There is going to be some things we will do but not right away and nothing major. We have a plam tree in the front yard . Every time i see it in the picture i smile because to me palms mean warm I have a book of 48 picture of the new house and the book is already showing signs of wear and tear.

I have a meeting tonight it's the first one i've done in weeks. I'm looking forward to it.

Well I need to go and get started . Lots of stuff to do after the holiday.

Karen

Ann be safe on your trip

Maria glad you are home safe.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:29 AM   #10  

Wish I knew what was up with this site. I have to keep logging in even though I have checked that box.

Maria and Slavika loved the emails.

Karen you sound so happy when you look at the pics of your new home. It sounds really nice and I am happy for you.

We didn't do anything exciting over the holiday weekend. Dh painted in the new place. Haven't moved yet. There were lots of parades and ceremonies here and the parents of Matt Maupin spoke at many of them. Their son has been a hostage since April 9. He is a local boy from the other side of town. He is in everyones prayers.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:59 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Cool Computer down at home!

We could not log on to our computer at home: something to do with Comcast. Hope it's remedied soon.

Hope all your USAers had a great Memorial Day. We had an indoor picnic at my sister's. My chatty sister left this morning for Florida. Our ears will get a great deserved rest!

Maria, since it was Memorial Day, and Monday is my weigh-in, we were waived a week if we could not get to a meeting - so I won't weigh in until next Monday. My meeting is at noon and I usually try to get there by 11:30 a.m. to weigh in and then I'm set for the week. Did you stay for the meeting? I imagine they're pretty similar to ours. TY for the vote of confidence - we can walk the path to slimness together!

I will take some time to read the last posts - even going back a thread. I've skimmed most of them, but wanted you to know I have not fallen off the face of the earth - our computer problems at home prevented me from saying: Hi!

Karen you're home; Ann you're on the mend; Trudy, hopefully, you're tickless! - Lily, I like your new picture; Peggy nice to see your post; Slavika, cute emails; Glenda - I look forward to the day when I will be below goal!

Marnie
Old 06-01-2004, 02:59 PM   #12  
Fun Blonde

Well, like you all, we got through the holiday weekend. We had Austin and little Jackson (2 months old) from Saturday morning until Sunday evening. Fun, but I was so tired. We went to my husband's hometown with them and their parents picked them up there on way to her folks. I thoroughly enjoyed them, but God did know what he was doing when he gave kids to young folks. Being up in the night getting a bottle is harder than it used to be. We then visited with Leon's aunt and decorated graves. I sure was ready to be home. And then Wednesday evening we start all over again with the GD, Makenzie. She has never been left for longer than 1 day by her Mommie. She is a Mommie's girl in a big way and we will have her for 3 full days. Pray for us. Her parents are going to Mexico to celebrate their 3rd anniversary. After that, we are taking a break from the babysitting. I just need to be home alone.

Good news at WW. I lost 2.4 pounds. Now I would just like to hold this for awhile.

Maria - way to go. Going through those doors the first time after awhile is so hard, but you do immediately feel better.

Peggy - great to hear from you. I sure hope your house sells quickly. Karen, good luck on your big move. You have had such an emotional roller coaster, but it will work out. Slavika, Trudy, Marnie, Ann, and Lily, the Popeye guru, Hi to you all.
Glenda
Old 06-01-2004, 04:53 PM   #13  
Member Florida Chick

Just a quick question for Slavika: When you made the cake with the peach jello, did you still use the orange extract in the pudding? I found some peach jello today. Also, did you use sliced peaches as a garnish? I made the orange one for our Memorial Day shindig at the clubhouse, and there was none left to bring home, so it was a hit.

I'll get back later with more. time to get dinner now. Ann
Old 06-01-2004, 08:11 PM   #14  

G'day all,

Karen you got me crying as well!!!! I would be hopeless in those sort of circumstances that you found yourself in at the weekend.....but how comforting to know how everyone cares so much.
I would like to wish them well and hope they will soon be home again safe and sound.
I saw on the news this morning that a new president and cabinet have been appointed in Iraq, lets hope that means there will be some stability and ALL foreign soldiers can come home.
Your new home sounds great, I agree....I rather have a larger living area than a large bathroom. I have been used to having 2 bathrooms all my married life and that is something I would never want to be without. I don't know how families managed in the 'olden days' with just ONE toilet in the backyard

Peggy Your memorial day sounds like our Anzac Day when we remember all those that have fought in the many theatres of war. I always find it a very moving day.
The same as I found it very moving to visit the American War Memorial in Manila. Many times I thought of all the POW's in the second world war that found themselves in and around Singapore, when I was so hot and about to expire walking around the place, how must they have coped doing hard labour (working on the Bridge of the river Kwai) poor food rations etc. etc.
Also... I have problems as well getting into this site, a number of times I get here and then it just stops and it says down the bottom 'done'. I keep hitting the 'refresh' icon and eventually I get here, so it is not you Peggy, I think there is a bit of a glitz.

Marnie so we will both be weighing in next Monday! Sounds good having a picnic indoors, no problems with ants or flies

Glenda yes it felt a little odd walking into a Weight Watchers meeting again but because of the many changes (including the price ) I feel very positive I will stick to it.
It is very convenient for me, just a five minute walk up the street.
I am allowed 22 points (yes I need to loose heaps )and yesterday I had 19 1/2 points for the day and felt fine. In fact I felt that I had eaten too much I am following the menu out of the week one booklet, which is 18 points so I have to add a bit more.
I also had a long walk...all in all a good day.

Ann that is good indication when something is a hit when there are no left overs to take home

It is a rainy, miserable day here today, nice to just be inside. We badly need the rain.

Have a great day all,

Cheers
Maria
Old 06-01-2004, 09:36 PM   #15  
Member Florida Chick

Well I am back again. dinner over, and then I planted some marigolds out in my front garden. Had to wait until the sun went lower as it has been so hot and dry. I watered a lot, and will have to water twice a day for a while. I hope they 'take', before we leave on our trip.

I do hope to get a chance to post once in a while while we are away. I will probably have access to a computer in a few stops. I will want to read and keep track of everyone.

Karen: I know what you mean about Sunday and Monday being teary days. And especially so for you, with your kids going off. We had some wonderful music in church, and then we watched the dedication of the W.W. II memorial on tv. Also the annual Memorial Day concert from D.C. It brought back a lot of memories. All you gals are too young, but I was old enough to remember D Day. I had two cousins in the war and I think that one of them was probably in that invasion. I know he did participate in the Battle of the Bulge. He would never never talk about any of his experiences. Wartime experiences are horrible for those who are in the midst. Karen, do you plan to get back down here in August?

Maria: I think you are right about this being like your Anzac Day. People pay tribute to all our War Veterans, with parades, concerts, etc. And it is also a long holiday weekend . Lots of family gatherings. Many years ago, it was know as Decoration Day, and that was when everyone decorated the graves of war Veterans and family members. I'm not just sure when the name was changed to Memorial Day.

I plan to go back to WW when we get back from our trip. I figured there was no sense to go now, as I wouldn't be able to go to meetings while away. I am going to have to make special effort to go to Curves while we are away.

I tried something different for our dinner tonight. My own version of Garlic Shrimp. I sauted 2 garlic cloves in a little Olive Oil and Garlic spray. Then added a tin of mushrooms, some parsley and about a cup of chicken broth. Seasoned a bit with some Mrs. Dash. I just barely thickened the broth with some cornstarch. Added two cups of cooked shrimp and just heated through. Poured this over 2oz. of cooked spaghetti ( Muellers has a low carb pasta that is pretty good, and 2oz. is 2 points.) A little parmesan cheese, a nice salad, and that was dinner. We both liked it. I do get hungry for spaghetti, and this Muellers seems to solve the problem.

Peggy: good luck with the sale of your house. Just the right person will come along I'm sure.

Lily: I hate the weed pulling, but I do like to plant the flowers. I envy you being able to sleep while riding, but guess I'm too nosy, and afraid I'll miss something, and also I have a sort of feeling that two sets of eyes watching the road and other cars, are better than one set.

Marnie: Keep up the good work. You and Maria will be my inspiration when we get back. Hope now you will have an opportunity to do some talking yourself, since you have been being such a good listener all this time.:

Glenda: You do sound busy with your grandkids, and I know what you mean about, the Lord planning things right with young folks having the children. We are only supposed to love them and spoil them a bit, and help out now and then.

Slavika: When I made the orange dessert, I used Mandarin oranges, well drained and arranged some of them on top of the cake, before I spread the pudding mixture over it all. Then garnished with the rest. Did you do that with the peaches? I am thinking that it might be good to do with Raspberries when they come in season.

Trudy: Hope you are no longer having any tick problems. They are so disgusting. Did you gals have teatime today? I think Karen and I will have to do something like that now and again, once she gets down here and settled.

Whoever asked about egg and olive sandwiches. I just chop the hardboiled eggs, mix with low fat mayo, and a little mustard, and a little salt to taste, and then add the chopped green olives to the mix. Let it stand a bit, so the olives flavor through the egg. My DH's favorite sandwich mix.

See you tomorrow. Ann
Closed Thread