Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 04:39 PM   #1  

Thumbs down Feisty & Sexy 50 & 50 year olds #201

G'day all,

We are having a cool day, last night it was almost back to winter. The fires in and around Sydney are horrendous, they are even worse than the fires around Christmas last year. Many homes are lost, thank goodness no life.
When you watch it on the news services, you wonder how the fire fighters keep going, a special breed of men!
DH was 500 km from Adelaide in the Outback watching the eclipse, he will be home tonight again.

Ann and Peggy You are both a couple of musical stars , sounds like a lot of fun in between making jackets and table runners.
On the spelling bit, yes biscuits to us are what I think you call 'cookies'. On this site you will find a recipe for some very traditional Australian Anzac Biscuits, well worth giving a go.

http://www.gigglepotz.com/caustrecipes.htm

I am surprised the American gals (that still remains such a foreign way for me to call you girls!!!!) did not notice the different spelling of Canadians and Australians.
I don't know about Canada but here in Australia many people are very sensitive to words being spelt the American way. A big bone of contention is the fact that all spell checks are American and hence wrong in a number of instances.
I personally think there are more important things to worry about.
To the Canadians gals , I understand that part of your country speaks french, does that mean that many Canadians are bi-lingual????

Off to lunch with a friend today.

Have a great day all

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-04-2002, 06:15 PM   #2  
Net browser

Hi Everybody
Maria The poem your daughter wrote is just lovely. With your talents on the computer, what do you think of getting some lovely paper, typing up the poem, and printing off as many copies as there are guests at the wedding. You could then roll each up like a little scroll and slide one of those gold bands on it that you find in bridal/craft stores.
On the news DH and I saw a whole group of people all set up in tents (I forget how many they said were there to witness the eclipse). I told DH maybe your hubby was one of those people.
I don't mind whether people use the Canadian way of spelling words or the American but both my DH and son (in business) insist on the Canadian spelling. Canada is truly a melting pot of all different kinds of people, so you will hear many languages being spoken here. I went to the web address you gave us and printed off the Anzac Biscuit recipe and will try making it within the next day or two. Thanks for passing that on.
Karen I was thinking about what you said about your DD having a larger home. Sometimes, because it is larger it's EASIER to keep clean, because you have more places to store stuff.
Ann good for you for only gaining 1/2# that's great! I have been making a real effort to get back to goal so I know how hard it is to maintain.
Peggy we went to the Dominion Republic in Februay of 1999 and stayed in a place called Delta Dorada Club Resort in Puerto Plata. We were not going to go away on holidays that year but friends of ours (the gal I see every Wednesday and her husband) wanted us to go with them and said it really cheap and it was one of those all-inclusive holidays so you know exactly what your holiday will cost you. It was just great, and it was CHEAP. The resort was not the best in Puerto Plata, but it was good enough. When we got there they up graded our single room to a suite which was just great (not that we spent very much time there).
Well time for me to do something about din dins.......

Last edited by slavika; 12-04-2002 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:36 PM   #3  

G'day all,

Where is everybody

Guess you are all busy getting ready for the festive season.

Slavika I will ask my future d-i-l, I think it is a great idea to print out the poem for all the guests.
I will be very surprised if you don't like the Anzac biscuits, they are very yummy and very 'moorish'.
DH found the eclipse 'awesome'. The other unique thing was to have so many people in that part of the country at the one time. The three towns in that area are virtually dying, one town has a population of 23, another of a little over 200 and the other is now where we have a (very controversial) detention centre for illegal immigrants and very little else.

Met up with a former colleague for lunch yesterday. We were always mistaken for one and other. Her hair looked great and she had about 3 blonde and not so blonde colours in her hair. My hair is now very light, some of it chemically and some just plain grey. I got the name of her hairdresser and I am having my hair cut and coloured at midday. Still enough time to change it before the wedding if I don't like it.

The fires in Sydney are not abating, no doubt you have all seen some of the devastation on your news services.
Having lived there the past 7 months, a lot of the places mentioned are places which we have driven through. This morning there is a concern for the leafy surburbs of Sydney as close as 15 km to the city centre

Have a great day all
Cheers
Maria
Old 12-05-2002, 06:14 PM   #4  

Maria I will have to try those Anzac biscuits. Love anything with oatmeal in it. Went to a thing Sunday called Christmas in the Country. It was a little town that had Welsh roots. One place had samples of Welsh Cakes. They were plain but good. I have to look and see if I can find the recipe. We awoke this morning to 4 inches of snow. That is the most we have had in years. My dh had fun using his snowblower. He has had it for 4 years and only used it once. One neighbor gave nice warm chocolate chip cookies. Yummy!! I am leaving in the morning for my weekend. It is soo cold. Didn't get my jacket finished but it wouldn't have been warm enough anyway. Don't have any boot type shoes either. Hope that the cabin is warm. Have a nice weekend and I will see you all Monday.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:11 PM   #5  
Super Surfer

Angry Hi everyone

I came across this web site and really enjoyed. Hope you gals like it too.
www.theinterviewwithgod.com/popup2.html

Maria Canada is a bi-lingual country. English and French are the official languages. It is more important to speak both languages in parts of Ontario, especially Ottawa, our nation's capital. Further east to the Maritimes, most of the people just speak French. The Maritimes mostly English. The further west you go, the less French you will hear. My DD went to a French Immersion High School and took grades 7 to 12 in French. We didn't know if she would ever need it, but thought it couldn't hurt. My cousin had a job at our University, when she moved to Ottawa she was unable to get any position at all because she only spoke English. She works at a store that sells used clothes on consignment. Most of the Ottawa elite wear a garment once or twice and then sell it.

Speaking of food, Slavika introduced me to homemade Caramel Corn made with Popcorn Twists. I made up the recipe today and can honestly say it is a keeper. She always comes up with a new and tasty treat.

Bye all...
Old 12-06-2002, 02:18 AM   #6  

Trudy thank you so much for sharing that site. I am not particularly religious but that site was just wonderful and so true.

Interesting to learn more about Canada.

Peggy all that snow, wow! Enjoy your weekend and keep warm!

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-06-2002, 10:22 AM   #7  
Fun Blonde

Slavika, Trudy, and Maria - Isn't it nice to learn more about each other's countries? We can get so focused on our own that it is nice to get a kind of perspective of others. And Slavika, I certainly understand your DH and DS wanting to spell in Canada the way Canadians spell. Everyone needs to keep their own culture intact, but with the global community, I am sure that can be a challenge.

Trudy - I would like to go to one of those used clothing places, but I bet that the prices for used clothes might be a surprise. I minored in French in college. I love that beautiful language and would so have loved to be "immersed" in it. I believe that is about the only way to really become fluent.

Peggy - Stay warm. We have ice and snow, but haven't lost electricity....yet. Enjoy your side trip. We are going to a church play on Sunday called "Two for Gallilee". It will have live animals. I am needing help getting into the "Christmas Spirit."
Glenda
Old 12-06-2002, 05:14 PM   #8  
Super Surfer

Angry Hi everyone

Maria I received an advertisement from my Bernina shop and it shows a picture of the Artista 200E. Is this the machine you have your heart set on? I quote "The revolutionary new artista 200E is the only sewing and embroidery system that's Microsoft Windows Powered." It looks fabulous.
Slavika took my hubby and me to Costco today, and she also provided a treat to eat while we drove there.... what a gal!! She made the Australian Anzac Biscuits. They are delicious. I will be making them as well.
Glenda did you read that My Big Fat Greek Wedding nominated for the 2002 People's Choice Awards? I think everyone liked that movie and wouldn't it be great if it is nominated for a Best Picture Oscar? Thanks for the tip on Solaris, I was thinking of seeing it. I just hate it when a movie is over and I have no idea what the heck it was all about.
My cousin who works at the consignment store is dressed impeccably all the time, she is quick to snap up anything she likes. The clothes have be in perfect condition, labels intact, dry cleaned, and in current fashion to be considered for sale.
Peggy hope you have fun on your weekend. Enjoy the snow...

Bye for now...
Old 12-06-2002, 10:44 PM   #9  
Member Florida Chick

Thumbs down Hi All

Just dreaming about sunglasses today. We dropped our temp to the 40's. A big change from yesterday.

When we lived up north in New Yoirk State, we were right on the St. Lawrence river, just across the border from Canada. We went often to shop. We went to Kingston a lot. We didn't hear much French there, but in the times that we went to Montreal, we were not always happy, because clerks in the stores would ignore one, if you didn't speak French. It was expecially annoying, as you know that they all understood and spoke English.

Ottawa is a lovely city. I enjoyed watching the changing of the guard at Parliament.

I will have to try the Anzac cookies, too. and Slavika what is the recipe for the caramel corn? How does it fit into the point system?

Have made 3 runners, and working on the 4th. When that is finished, so am I for the time being. Have too many other things to do. Like cards, and decorations, and getting packages wrapped and mailed. And two shows in the park. One on the 9th and one on the 16th, as well as carolling around the park for out shut-ins. Never a dull moment. : I love Christmas. I just wish there were a few more hours in each day.

Peggy: Have a great time. Your trip into the Welsh settlement sounded interesting. I am always interested in the Welsh, as that is my family background.

Glenda: Does snow help you to get in the Christmas spirit? I have had to find something other than snow to get my spirit roused up?

I think it would send a real message to Hollywood if Greek Wedding got the Academy Award. People really want some 'nice' clean fun movies.

I'm not going to weigh in for a couple of weeks. That is one of the benefits of being a lifetime member. I just have too many rehearsals on Sat. Just too many other things. I will have eo be especially careful.

Maria: Have been watching all the pictures of the Sidney fires. Really bad. Must be scary for all those residents so close to the fires. There are always fires out in California, and many homes lost. Also in Colorado this summer there were so many fires from lightning strikes. I heard that some of the fires near Sidney were deliberately started. Some 'sicko'.

Hi Trudy, Lily, Karen

Have a great weekend, all. Ann
Old 12-06-2002, 11:02 PM   #10  

G'day all,

Just came for a quick visit before we go out.

Trudy Yes, yes, yes that is THE machine I would like or the Pfaff which does very similar things but is slightly more versatile. I haven't seen the latest Artista. I have had a Bernina for over 30 years and I think it is the best machine so I always lean towards the Bernina. When I finally get to buy my 'dream machine' , I will again compare the Bernina to the Pfaff and then make my decision.

I am glad you liked the Anzac Biscuits (not cookies Ann )

Glenda I have learnt heaps about your country and Canada since meeting you all here. It never ceases to amaze me how different we are yet still the same, if that makes sense.

Ann I so agree re 'My fat Greek wedding'. Has it been nominated for the academies??? You are very busy with your singing, making table runners etc. etc.
Interesting what you said about shopping in Montreal. DH and I were in France many years ago and he really disliked the french because they made no effort to try and understand him. I spoke a bit of school french and I found the french to be OK.
I have to say that Paris is one of my favourite cities......well it was 30 years ago, goodness knows what the place is like now!

Well I must be off to a house warming party of friends who have realised their dream by building their retirement home right on the beach, the sea is but 10 metres from their front door

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-07-2002, 01:35 AM   #11  
Life Time 2001

Maria: I must ask what is desiccated coconut? The Pumpkin scones look good. So do the Anzac Biscuits. I have never really paid attention to the spelling. Maybe thats why it never bothered me. I know people spell differently around the world and we are from all over here!
Slavika has a wonderful idea for that poem!
Your new do sounds like it will be fun. Sorry to hear about the fires. You are having a draught to so I Assume that makes it worse.

Slavika: Now thats funny about the larger home! We came from a 1 bedroom apartment into this house that is 4 bedrooms 3 baths. I told DH he was not to put anything in the "Guest" bedroom closet. Well 15 years later guess what he has the closet filled to capacity with a bunch of crap
Should be in the garbage, but no its useful dont you know. HA!!!!

Peggy: Your Christmas in the country sounded fun. If you find the recipe share! Hope you have a great weekend!

Trudy: I have seen that site before. It is excellent! I had forgotten about it. Thanks for sharing it. Alas a new treat. Make Slavika share! Sounds really good

Ann: Boy you are really making those table runners. Are any of them in the mail to us by chance ?
Yes Calif does get alot of fires in the summer. Not fun when it gets really bad. The air is awful!

I have been swaped at work so havent checked in. Its usually slow this time of year, but not this one! Going to put up decorations tomorrow for Christmas and get the cards done. We make a day out of it. My favorite day to as I love to decorate the house
Old 12-07-2002, 05:02 PM   #12  
Net browser

Default Thanks Maria

Hi Everybody
First off, thanks Maria for giving us the web addy for the ANZAC BISCUITS. I made them first on Friday and that was the day I passed a couple on to Trudy so that she could taste them. In Canada we do not measure out things the same as you might in Australia. so when the recipe called for 4 oz. of butter, I thought that was probably 1/4 of a pound of butter or 1/4 cup of butter, but weighed it out on my WW scale and that seemed to be about right. I found that was just not enough butter for that recipe. The mixture failed to stick together so I added more. I then decided to see if I could find more "different" versions of the biscuit on the web and did acome across a few. I made the biscuits up again today and I think if any of you gals are going to make the recipe you should either increase the butter by a little bit or decrease the amount of flour and the oats by as much as 1/4 cup. I did find a couple of other recipes that had the same amount of butter as this recipe but only called for 3/4 cup flour and 3/4 cup oats, rather then the full cup of each. DH had gone to our son's house last night to babysit the grandchildren so I had him take over all the biscuits with him, so he was happy that I made more today. I just love these biscuits. They are crispy and light, and I think a lovely treat. (Please note everybody, I refer to them as biscuits, in this post, so that I will not upset "you know who".) LOL I did not have to bake mine for the 20 min. indicated in the recipe so watch the time when you bake them. I also baked mine on parchment paper.
In looking up different Australian Recipe sites I learned that ANZAC stands for "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps" which of course Maria already knew. ANZAC day is celecbrated in Austrailia on April 25th. The one web site said that on this day in 1915, the ANZAC's landed at Gallipoli and suffered the worst defeat in Australian military history. The fallen soldiers of all wars are now commemorated on ANZAC DAY. Some of the sites said the biscuits were made to send to the troops in World War 1 when there was a egg shortage and another site said these biscuits were were sold to raise money to help returned veterans.
Lily I have always just thought that "desiccated coconut" just meant, "really dry, or thoroughly dried". The recipes for the biscuits I found at other web sites simply asked for "flaked coconut", and didn't even specify whether it was to be sweetened or unsweetened. I think if you use the sweetened, then cut back on the sugar.
Ann The recipe for the "caramel Corn" is found on the back of the package of Old Dutch Popcorn Twists". Unfortunately mfg. do not have to list the calorie count of their products in Canada, so we have some stuff that shows it and lots that don't. The package of Old Dutch Popcorn Twists does not show the calorie count and I tried to find it on the internet, but couldn't. In fact if you would, I would appreciate it if you would check on that in your Supermarket. Here's the recipe:

Old Dutch Caramel Corn
Place contents of one170 gram ( I think that's 6 oz) bag of Old Dutch Popcorn Twists into a large roaster pan. Next, in a 2 qt (2 L) sauce pan cook together for 2 minutes the following caramel sauce ingredients:

1/2 lb. (227 g) butter (not margarine)
1 cup (280 ml) brown sugar
1/2 cup (140 ml) light corn syrup

Add 1 tsp baking soda to mixture. This will cause mixture to foam (that's why the 2 qt saucepan is necessary). Allow the foam to cook down slightly, then stop cooking the mixture. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn twists and stir until mixed. Pace in 250F oven for 45 min. Stir at least every 10 - 15 min. Remove from oven and pour IMMEDIATELY ON WAX PAPER. Allow to cool sightly and break apart.

I don't think the popcorn twists count for that many points but the Caramel sauce works out to 72 points for the whole recipe.

Maria, in looking at a number of recipes I see that a few contain Macadamia Nuts. Are they grown in your area?? I saw you could even make the ANZAC biscuits and add macadamian nuts to the recipe. Once again, thanks for the recipe, and I even learned a little history.
Peggy I hope you are having a lovely weekend and that it warmed up a little.

Last edited by slavika; 12-07-2002 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:41 AM   #13  

Happy Sunday all,

I ran the biscuit recipe through the Recipe Builder on the WW site . It turns out they are 1 point per "Biscuit". So that made up my mind I will be trying them today. I may even share the recipe with all of the member in my groups. Along with some of the history that slavika so nicely provided. Thank You very much!

I have a cold. I may even check in with the doctor tomorrow just to make sure it is nothing more. I don't have time to be sick . It stared with the grand kids and then DH caught it and now me.

Was out to my DD new place again last night. I had picked up some new Valance's for the living room and dining room of her new house. She wanted Navy blue so that's what I found. They really look nice. She wanted to put them up right away so thats what we did. We do need to make some better tiebacks. Right now I just found some brocade trim to use. But it is not wide enough so need to make some. The drapes are White and I wasn't sure how Navy valances would look but it's beautiful. We are now calling DD "Martha". So far she has been able to keep up with the house work. But like she said it took almost 2 hours to vacuum the whole place and she said she really worked up a sweat. You have to know she has been buying and decorating this house in her mind for 10 years. She has had to buy little now because she had it all and it is still new because her other house was too little to do anthing with! She is a funny girl. Her DH and friends got the back Deck put together yesterday. And on Friday They got the Front porch built. Well I guess I'd better go and get some stuff done while I still have some energy.

Karen

Last edited by Karen L; 12-08-2002 at 11:45 AM.
Old 12-08-2002, 05:33 PM   #14  

G'day all,

I am in a rush this morning but thought I would quickly post this site for you to help with conversions.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Talk to you later

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-08-2002, 07:22 PM   #15  
Super Surfer

Angry Greetings all

Maria that is a neat site. I am still having problems converting to metric. Many years ago Canada changed over to metric and it hasn't been easy for some of us the change our way of thinking.
Slavika I made the caramel corn again and this time added about 3/4 cup of broken pecan pieces, and I think it tastes a lot like Poppycock. Karen maybe you could run this recipe through Recipe Builder at the WW site to see what the points are like.
Ann Quebec and New Brunswick are really beautiful. The people make is difficult. Most of them really don't know much about English speaking Canada. They are called a "DISTINCT SOCIETY". They are determined to keep their heritage and knowing too much about Canada outside their boundaries is a threat. Too bad. We really enjoyed our visit when we were there.

I mailed out my cards, and wrapped all the gifts. Now I have to do some baking. Anybody have their tree up yet? Maybe I will do that next weekend.

Bye all..
Closed Thread