Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 12:05 PM   #1  

Default 50 or more 88

If you have 50 pounds or so to lose, jump on in and join! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome.
Old 02-19-2002, 01:22 PM   #2  
Inchworm

Angry

Thanks Jan, we needed a new thread, glad to hear that word from you, it has been so quiet!
Time is just flying by and I know not where it goeth!

I woke up yesterday with a ferocious itch! so it is not the chlorine. I already had an appt with the doc today to recheck the congestion thing, so will see what he has to say about the itch.

I fixed a Sunday supper for church on Sunday, and served the WW tortilla soup! It went well, except people are afraid of sliced okra that is in it! (I love okra!) One of dgd's friends pointed out that the Pastor had left all of his okra in the bottom of his bowl. He had thought it was hot peppers!

I don't see why I won't be back in Water aerobics on Thursday!
Am looking forward to it.
Old 02-19-2002, 05:37 PM   #3  

Default EEK!! DID YOU HEAR ABOUT PIRATE'S BOOTY??

Omigosh!!! Two people at work either read or heard on the news that Pirate's Booty is mislabelled with fat content. Apparently a number of samples were tested and all had 8.5 grams of fat per serving, not 2 grams!!!! Boy, there's a whole lot of better stuff I could be eating for 8.5 grams of fat!! Another dietary staple bites the dust for me!!!
How is everyone? My cold is finally about gone- I started feeling human yesterday. Dsil was sick Sun and Mon with a G.I. virus, which I sure hope he doesn't pass to dd or little sweetie!!! DD went to the doctor yesterday- the baby has turned, and at the moment is no longer breach, so we are in a holding pattern. If it stays vertex they may let her try labor rather than do a repeat C-section. I must admit it was making life simpler for all of us when a section was a sure thing- we could make schedule and babysitting arrangements, and exdh could plan on being up here too. Now things are sort of in limbo. My fear is that they will try her at labor and then end up having to do an emergency C-section anyway. I'd be more comfortable with it being planned than emergency- safer for both her and the baby in my opinion. I realized my opinion isn't exactly totally objective, being the mom and grandma and all!
Ladies, I have to run but don't want to lose this post. Will be back later. Hi to all.
Carol
Old 02-19-2002, 05:59 PM   #4  

Hi again. I was in an insatnt message thing with Janet and couldn't handle doing 2 things at once!
Texaslady, I am so sorry you've been going through those health worries, and I am relieved that it is "just' an abcess, not a tumor- although an abcess doesn't sound like much fun either! I too am an Olympic junkie- I especially love the figure skating events, tho I must admit the snow boarding has gotten me hooked too! My house is small- 2 bedrooms- but exdh's house is there too!
Joyce, I wonder what is causing your itch? Have you used any new detergents, fabric soteners or cleaning solutions??? Sorry- the allergy nurse in me gets frustrated when things like that can't be solved!! I'm glad to hear that you can still go to water aerobics, though. How are you feeling otherwise?
Linda, I didn't know about the hidden Mickeys at Disneyland!! Do you know if they do the same thing at Disney World? I checked out ranunculus on the Burpee site- thanks. They are really pretty!
Jan, what ARE we going to do about your tendency to work yourself into the ground?!? You've got to slow fown, girl! Have you all started the sidewalk yet?
Well, ladies, that was all I had to say when I started the other post. Have a good evening,
Carol
Old 02-19-2002, 08:15 PM   #5  
Inchworm

Unhappy

I'm so depressed!
The doctor says stay out of the pool til we narrow it down more, meantime I am changing soap, shampoo etc, although nothing is different than I have used 'forever'. He also said my trigliceride level is high enuf now to warrant medication to bring it down.
Oh woe is me!

is that enuf whining or what!
Plus of course I have to give up Pirates booty!
What's a girl to do!?!?!
Old 02-20-2002, 04:14 AM   #6  

Joyce, you poor thing!!! Have they thought about it maybe being one of the medications you are now on? Try "journalling" the rash- write down, when it occurs, what you were doing, eating, what meds you took and when, etc. Maybe a pattern will rear it's head! Sorry you have had to add high triglycerides to your woes- just try to view them as another incentive for your weight loss plan! Did your doctor mention trying Cetaphil skin cleanser instead of your regular soap? The allergist I work for recommends that for our patients with skin poblems like the one you have. Hang in there, my friend!! This too shall pass!
Carol
Old 02-20-2002, 09:47 AM   #7  

JOYce, so sorry to hear the rash thing is escalating. Aren't we lucky, though, to have a professional in our group? Carol's suggestions sound like just the ticket. I hope you find the answer soon, and that it doesn't involve the pool so you can go back to water aerobics!

Carol, glad you're feeling better! I had just heard that about Pirate's Booty too, and was about to mention it here. What a bummer! That was one of our favorites, and they'd just started carrying it down here too. Darn. Re: the walkway, we're going to begin the real work on it in March, after my 3/04 deadline. Sure hope the weather cooperates!

Dh and I went to WW last night, and he lost 1.8, bringing his total to 8.5! I'm so happy for him. He is taking this much more seriously now that he's attending meetings. Also, I lost 2.5, and am finally back under goal instead of 2 pounds over! Thank goodness; I was getting worried. Like I told Dh, going to meetings with him has helped me a lot, too. I still want to reach my personal goal, 144, this spring.

Gotta go! Hi to Texaslady, Linda, Janet, and Saara. Everyone have a great Wednesday!
Regards,
Jan
Old 02-20-2002, 10:24 PM   #8  

Hi everybody; just sent a PM re: reunion, so please let me know if you don't get it!

Hope everyone had a great Wednesday! It's not tgif yet, but it's getting there!

Dh and I took a nice long walk at sunset today; the weather was perfect, and the bright orange sunset through the liveoaks was stunning. We even managed to stay OP, had a big salad and veggie lasagna for dinner.

Have a great day tomorrow!

Jan
Old 02-22-2002, 07:42 PM   #9  
Dave Matthews Addict

Anyone mind if an ex 50-plus-er rejoins the fold?

I'm ready to start back on the program tomorrow, and I could use all the help I can get. Six of my coworkers and I are all hopping on the bandwagon together, but the more the merrier is what I'm thinking. Especially because I've got some extra-special challenges this time.

While I've been away, the doctors determined that I've got bipolar disorder. No big deal, easily controlled with medication, except for this nasty medication that causes a weight gain of an average of TWENTY! pounds. This, I do not like. So back to WW I come, to work the program that I know works to keep those twenty pounds away and to lose seventy four more. I'm down from 223 (my start weight when I joined Bally's) to 214. Five pounds. Woohoo, right?

Somehow seventy four pounds seems like many more. Do you mind if you're my friends for the rest? Please? I missed you all...
Old 02-22-2002, 10:43 PM   #10  

Sweetsurrender, we would LOVE to have you back with us...we have missed hearing from you!! That is wonderful that so many of your coworkers are going to be joining you in your weight loss journey...what a wonderful support group you will have...in addition to us of course!

I'm sorry about the bipolar diagnosis, but I'm glad it can be controlled with medication...and it sounds like you have a great attitude about it...which to me is 3/4 the battle in any situation. That is too bad that it has that nasty side effect...yuk! I'm sure you will be able to head that off now that you are recommitting to the program, and I know you will see those 74 pounds gone soon! You will be an inspiration to me also...I've been on a plateau for so long, but it's my own fault. It's just been hard to get motivated again...but I'm working on it.

Have a wonderful weekend, and post often!!

Hi to everyone else...Carol, Texaslady, Jan, Joyce, Linda, Saara (I loved watching the hockey game between Finland and the United States...I don't usually watch hockey...although I have started now that we have several semi-pro teams here in MS...but it was extra special since it was between us and Finland...I was watching for you in the stands)

TexasLady, I did want to tell you how sorry I am that you have been having medical woes. I wish that you had told us so that we could have helped you through it. I'm glad everything turned out okay!! I'm glad you posted because I was really starting to get worried about you.

Well, DD has the entire weekend off...so I am finally going to get to spend some time with her. I told her that this was "OUR" weekend...although she is over at her daddy's right now. I got tickled a minute ago because she called and wanted to know if I had just called over at her dad's house (AS IF). I told her no and asked her why. She said that her little brother had answered the phone (he's five) and then hung up. When they asked him who he was talking to, he said "my sister's mom." I told her it wasn't me, and now they have no idea who it was. I bet that precious little boy is so confused...my sister's mom!!

Y'all have a great weekend!!

Janet (Kudzu)
Old 02-23-2002, 05:57 AM   #11  

Default Welcome back, Kendra!!!

Good morning, ladies! The weekend is finally here!! What has everyone got planned?
Kendra, it is so good to have you back with us! I'm sorry you've been going through the problems with bipolar disorder. My cousin's wife has that- she had a terrible time before she was properly diagnosed, but since on the right medication, she has done great! (for years!!!) That weight gain is sure a nasty side effect, but don't let it keep you from continuing the medication! You have a good attitude, and are taking positive steps by getting back on track with WW, so you'll have those 74 pounds off- I just know it! Having your work friends on a weight loss plan will be such a big help for you! Just take those extra pounds 1 day and 1 pound at a time!! You can do it!!
Janet, it sounds like you and dd have a fun weekend planned! That's great- I know how close you two are, so I'm sure she is looking forward to it as much as you are!
Jan, congrats to you and to dh for the weight loss this week! Did you get my email back to you about the reunion?
Texaslady, how are you feeling? I've been worried about you! Have they decided what they are going to do about the abcess?
Joyce, what's the latest on your rash? I heard something on the news on the way home from work the other day that made me think about you. They were talking about adults getting alllergic rashes from various solvents and cleaning products new on the market. It made me wonder- are you using anything new in your craft work? Maybe something you hadn't used much before with your recent stained glass projects?

This will be a quiet weekend- in fact, if I had my way, I would be holed up by myself with a good book and no people around at all, but that obviously isn't possible. It was a very long, stressful, and busy week at work, and by yesterday I had purely had it with evryone and everything. But, life goes on. I have to watch little sweetie this morning while dd and dsil both work, and then this evening I'll keep him while they do dinner and a movie for dd's birthday, which is today. Tomorrow I hope I can hibernate and get ready for an even more hectic work week. Oh, to be back at full staff again!!
Well, I'd better run. Hi to Linda and Saara. Have a good weekend, everyone!
Carol
Old 02-23-2002, 11:20 AM   #12  
Inchworm

Thumbs down Saturday morning!

It is a beautiful day in So. Calif! We have had summer most of the week! close to 90 yesterday!
Welcome Kendra...glad to have another voice her on the thread!
Carol still no solution to the 'itch'! It comes and goes. DH has laughingly suggested that I am allergic to the lead in my projects. I told him it is lead free solder. He's such a tease!
Our goddaughter suggested that it could be stress. I have no stress!
Allergies can happen just by living in So Calif....we have such solid air, don't you know! The medication he has me on must be energizing me, I have been cleaning out and sorting out closets etc. I had a nice loss at weigh in yesterday, it is weight that Ihave lost so many times before! I have a brand new WI book, and am determined to have no gains in it!
Jan, so glad that your dh is doing so well! what a guy! and congrats to you as well! Hoping we can find a good reunion date, looking forward to seeing the 2 of you again! That last weekend in may is no good. dgd will be here from OK to pick up her sis and furniture....and dh is having a bday then.
Janet, have a fun weekend with your dd!
texaslady How are you doing??
More later, gotta dash...
Old 02-23-2002, 02:01 PM   #13  

Hi girls - what's up!

Welcome back, Kendra!!! We are always glad to welcome another voice to the thread. Folks drift in and out but there are always welcome back. Glad you have got a diagnosis and getting treatment - you will beat back that weight gain, I'm sure of it!

Jan - I sent you an email about the reunion. Just let me know when and where and if I can, I will be there. Add my congrats to your dh's success with the program. I know he is so pleased!

Carol - It's getting closer & closer for the new baby! Seems like your dd's due date was around my dd's birthday - which is 3-13. Do I remember correctly? Hope she can deliver "normally" - is there really such a thing? I had a c-section myself, and after having been in hard labor for 24 hours, I was very grateful for it! Of course, it wasn't an easy recovery.......

Yes - I DID hear about Pirate's Booty! Guess I won't be paying to order that stuff anymore either!

Joyce - Sorry about your mystery rash! I can tell that Carol is "dwelling on it" for you and I wouldn't be surprised if she doesn't happen upon a solution! You know, if this rash started about the same time you starting the stained glass, it really could be related to something you are using or are around & we all jusr assumed it was the pool.

Janet - So glad you are checking in kind of regularly again - LIKE I HAVE ANY STONES TO TOSS! I miss hearing from you. Hope you are enjoying a wonderful time with your daughter. That reminds me, Carol, I laughed at the Passing of the Torch you sent to my e-mail! I promptly forwarded it on to my dd!!

Linda - Thanks for the concern. This too shall pass - one way or the other. How's the garden blooming? We have had wonderful almost hot days here for a while now but supposed to be at
freezing again in a day or two. Go figure.

Well, the latest for me is that I will probably have to have colon surgery in 4-6 weeks. My doctor is trying to treat the abcess with very strong anti-infection drugs but since it has apparently walled itself off from my colon, he doesn't really expect the drugs to reach the infection. Apparently, the CT Scan showed that my diverticulitis has now gotten quite severe - although I really don't have much pain - how weird is that? The recovery time from the surgery is 6-8 weeks - I won't be able to go back to work at least that long. Safe to say, this isn't one of those things they can do with a laser and a band aid! Enough of my problems - they really have me bummed out.

Gotta go & run some errands. Will check in again later. EVeryone have a great week-end - we are in for a beautiful day today.
Old 02-24-2002, 09:59 AM   #14  

Welcome back, Kendra! It's so good to hear from you again! I'm sorry about that medication you have to take, but hey, how smart of you to "head it off at the pass," and avoid the predicted weight gain by getting on program! And five pounds is nothing to sneeze at; you're also probably more toned, with your workouts, and have more lean muscle. How wonderful that six of your coworkers are doing this as well! I just know you'll make it!

Hi Texaslady! I am so sorry to hear that the surgery is likely. I know it will all go well, though, and it's so much safer to take care of diverticuli asap. Please keep us posted! You know there will be lots of prayers and good thoughts sent your way through all this.
Sent an email re: reunion; seems to be a consensus that Oct will be better, though I haven't checked w/Janet yet. So we'll aim for that!

Carol, hope you're getting to "hibernate" today like you wanted! Maybe this next week will be a little calmer at work; any hint of when the other nurse will return to work?

Janet, I'll bet you're having a wonderful weekend with your daughter! Have tried to reply to your pm twice, and my computer is not cooperating; will try from school this afternoon.

Joyce, you know, Carol might really be on to something there; you did start the new stained glass work about the same time. Is there a solvent or cleaner you use on the glass? Sure hope it turns out to be something simple and avoidable, and not the pool. By the way, on the subject of swimsuits, Sam's has theirs out now. Incredible bargains. (I couldn't believe the price of suits when I bought one for the first time in many years, spring before last.) But Sam's had them for under $30.

Hi to Linda and Saara! Hope everyone is enjoying this weekend. As Texaslady said, it's gorgeous down here, but will be cold in a few days. Just wish it would rain; we're in drought mode again.

Regards,
Jan
Old 02-24-2002, 02:52 PM   #15  
Dave Matthews Addict

Hi, everyone. Today's been a firmly OP day, so I'm feeling pretty proud. I'm getting ready to watch the US/Canada gold medal game, and I thought I'd take a minute or two to write. We're having french fries and Morningstar Farms "fake" chicken sandwiches for lunch while we watch.

The bf and I have made a deal, speaking of swimsuits, Jan. If I manage to go to the gym three times a week for a month, I get to buy a swimsuit. There's just no use in spending the money until I'm sure that I'll get the use out of it. So I'm excited for the gym!

Does anyone have the link to a website that I used to have bookmarked? It was a website that had all of the point values for foods listed... it was like the Complete Food Companion online. Since I'm doing this at home, I don't get to buy the goodies at a WW center. A friend offered to buy the Food Companion for me, but until she makes it to her next meeting in a few weeks, I have to guess at points. (And if someone would like to refresh my memory about how many points a small orange is, I'd appreciate it.) I just miss that website... it was a nice little reference.

Hope everyone's doing well and having a good day!
Closed Thread