Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 07:50 AM   #1  
Scotland's finest export

Default Thursday

I am the Queen of Mini Eggs (only Cadbury's of course!).
3 eggs for 1 point.
Hmm, I was actually trying to start today's thread but look how easily I got distracted!!
Anyhow - have to do some work stuff (don't they realise I only come in here to use the internet? ) so best get on. will be back later to chat properly.
Kirsty
Old 02-07-2002, 09:42 AM   #2  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Thanks everyone for yesterday....Yes, the brownie cheesecake was still at the coffee station when my 3 0'clock munchi hour hit. no I didn't have any. Go me! It was tough, and I actually sort of regret not having any.

But you'll never believe that it got even worse!!! There was an ice cream social in the cafeteria at 4:00 for everyone who participated in the United Way campaign! Agh! I was asked in and I went in and had a diet coke. People were like, don't you want ice crea? I told them that I had just had popcorn and wasn't hungry. Agh! Can you belive my luck yesterday.

I just hope it's not that hard for the rest of my life.

Good morning Kirsty! Good luck with that work stuff. It's always getting in the way, huh?

Lisa
Old 02-07-2002, 10:04 AM   #3  

Default Thai Shrimp Soup

Hi everyone! Tilley-way to go on the willpower yesterday! You should be so proud of yourself! I don't think it will be this hard forever-because eventually, when you are at maintenance, you will be able to eat that cheesecake and not worry about gaining-you get a few more calories in maintenance-remember!!

Here is my recipe for thai shrimp soup-you can probably substitute chicken for more points of you want:

A Huge pot of soup:

1 pound uncooked lg shrimp
6 14 1/2 ounce cans chicken broth-low fat/low salt
1 cup finely chopped or grated carrot
1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh lemongrass, or 2-3 tbsp dried
3 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
2 tbsp minced garlic

1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
1 1/2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
1 to 1 1/2 small serrano chile. stemmed, thinly sliced into rounds
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
2 cups bean sprouts
1 cut grated carrot
6 thin lime slices

Peel and devein shrimp, placing shells in a large pot. Add broth and next four ingredients to pot, bring to a boil and then simmer for twenty minutes. Drain broth into another large pot through a strainer, pressing on the back of the shells with a slotted spoon. This can be made one day ahead.
Return broth to the stove and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, add shrimp and all of the remaining ingredients except the lime slices. Let stand for 2-3 minutes until shrimp are opaque. Serve in bowls, let thin slices of lime float with soup, one slice per bowl.

Points? Two for all of the broth, 8 for the shrimp, so ten points divided by however many servings you get. Add more points for chicken, and simmer the chicken with the broth to cook it! Enjoy!
Old 02-07-2002, 10:49 AM   #4  
Fed Up With Fat!!

Default Good Morning!

Everyone here at work is sick!!! I'm trying to stay away from everyone! but it's not working too well.
I will post my broccoli cole slaw recipe as soon as my boss leaves.
Her daughter is sick and she's going home at noon.
Be back then...........................
Old 02-07-2002, 11:08 AM   #5  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Morning, everyone!!

Thanks so much for all the chili recipe suggestions. I've always liked chili, and I guess I always assumed that it's hard to make. Maybe I'll whip up a big thing of it over the weekend and freeze some, like suggested. I'm sure we'll be getting more snow before long and chili is so perfect for those days.

Not much happening here. I was kind of irritated last night at the gym. OK, I live in a small town and we're lucky to have a ladies-only gym. Well, the girl working was watching me through my entire workout and was like "What all do you do?" I told her that I go around 3 full times, then go around 2 more times doing just the aerobic. She asked why and I'm like, "Well, I've heard that it burns fat faster and can help me lose weight faster." She's like "Yeah, but you have to work a lot harder than you do." I was so mad--OK, first of all, she's still the weight that I was when I started going there--I'm the one who's lost 20 lbs since November. Secondly, who is she to tell me that I need to work harder when she works there and doesn't even take advantage of that by working out ever? Third, it's not like I just walk on the aerobic boards and steppers--I run on the springboards and work hard on the stepper, so working out isn't a walk in the park for me, it's a pretty intense hour+. I was just like "Yeah, but I'll be able to do more once I get used to doing this much." Oh well, she's quitting soon and I may be taking her place...

Oh! I forgot to do this, I was going to tell you guys my goals that I set for myself and started on Tuesday. They are:
1) Stay OP for two weeks.
2) Drink more water
3) Eat more fruits and veggies.
Doesn't sound too tough, let's just see how hard it is...

Lisa--Way to go with the cheesecake. We all knew you could do it! Don't you hate ice cream socials? Luckily, I get to go along for the ice cream shopping, so I always make sure there's a little FF/Sugar Free yogurt added. You'd be surprised how many people want FF instead of regular, mostly men!

Lori--Thanks for the recipe for the soup. I'm not a shrimp fan, but a girl here at work LOVES it and only eats low-fat foods so I gave it to her and she's eager to try it.

Stacey--Good luck not getting sick! It sucks being around lots of sick people, I've been around all kinds of sick folks for the last 3 weeks or so. And guess what, I've been feeling icky all week. Sigh...

OK, better get a little work done...
Old 02-07-2002, 11:55 AM   #6  
Proud Canadian

Morning everyone.

Lorie, That recipie sounds fantastic! We have a seafood fest every now and then and just have all different seafood and that will fit in perfectly. The last one was just crab but the time before that we had lobster tails and oysters and tequila shrimp (I can't find my recipie but it's really good) - the only bad thing is that while shrimp is low in points, it's apparently not good for those with cholesterol issues. Maybe one day I'll get my cholesterol checked - anyone know how they do that?

Jess - don't worry about the girl at the gym - she obviously doesn't know what she's talking about, if it works for you, stick with it - you're doing great! I can't imagine an hour at the gym anymore. Maybe one day I'll go back.

Stacey - looking forward to the recipie - I'm a broccoli freak!

Lisa - I don't know if I could have done it - you're willpower is amazing.

Kirsty - Hello - 3 for 1 point sound delicious.

OK - I have to go find the post about body smart chews, I ate a package of them yesterday but when I went to journal it, it didn't have the info on the package, next time, points first, then eat.

KT
Old 02-07-2002, 11:56 AM   #7  
Proud Canadian

Omigod - I just found it, its 10 chews for 2 points!!!! They taste just like starburst candies - YAY! New discovery.
KT
Old 02-07-2002, 12:10 PM   #8  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Hey Ladies, Well I didn't check in yesterday b/c I was at home sick. I am here at work today but I feel worse UH I just don't have enough sick days. Anyways I work with an RN and she thinks it is probably strep (SP?) throat. I have an appt. at 12:45 and I am hoping she is wrong.

I have managed to stay Op all week. I have Weigh in Tomorrow morning so we will see how that goes. I haven't caught up on all of the posts from yesterday but I hope that all of you are doing well and I will possibly check in later. Oh btw I am loving etools! I really think that is why I am staying OP.

KT- I like the body smarts stuff. I have pb choc. bars that are good.

Jess- That is obnoxious. I cannot believe that fitness chick would say that. Doing anything for an hour is a good work out. I would definitely not let that bother you. It sounds like you haven't

LIsa- No to Brownie Cheesecake.. You are my hero!!!

Kirsty- MMM cadbury eggs.

Stacey- I feel bad being here at work b/c I know how you feel. I am trying to hybernate in my office so that I don't infect anyone. I hope that you stay healthy.

Becky
Old 02-07-2002, 01:40 PM   #9  
One Sick Puppy

Default Oh my goodness...

Someone just set a big piece of chocolate cake with chocolate almond frosting on my desk. I will say no to the entire piece. I will say yes to a bite or two... Let's just hope I can stop if I start...
Old 02-07-2002, 01:44 PM   #10  
One Sick Puppy

Default I did it!

OK, I successfully managed to just eat about 5 bites of the cake. The rest went in the trash... It was sooooo good.
Old 02-07-2002, 01:53 PM   #11  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Lori - that recipe sounds great. I'll have to use chicken though since I'm SADLY allergic to shellfish.

Jess - those goals sounds great. And great you had just 5 bites and threw the rest away. It's s new concept that seems wasteful- but better in the trash than on our thighs. I've spent the money for a candy bar just to take one bite and throw the rest away... but if it does the job - then more power to us, right!

KT - I'll have to look for Smart Chews.

Grace - I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I hope you get better soon. Sounds like you did well this week, so good luck at weigh in - but I bet you don't need it. Let us know how it goes.

I'm having a Mardi Gras party on Saturday. I'm a little nervous points wise because I ordered King Cake and I'm making Jambalaya. About 8 points for a cup of Jambalaya and about the same for the King Cake. Plus I'll most likely drink. I'm banking but I'm still not sure sure....

Otherwise things are good. I had 3 points for breakfast (an egg beater omlette and a slice of toast). 5 points for lunch (a cup of red beans and rice and a yogurt.) That way I have 12 points for dinner and still get to bank 5 for Saturday. 5 today and 5 tomorrow since I ate my max the last couple of days.

Hope everyone is doing well. GOdd luck girls!

Lisa
Old 02-07-2002, 02:00 PM   #12  
Canadian Chick

hiya ladees!

How is everyone? Things are good with me, well except this allergy reaction that won't stop. My doctor won't send me for updates tests b/c everytime I try to go see her I don't have any hives! Argh! I have had them almost all the time for the past two weeks but never when I get in to see her! I haven't been tested for 8 years already! They used to make me go every two years. What happened to that? Anyway I made an appointment with a Naturopath but I can't get in until the first part of March! He did wonders for my Grandma & her allergies. I hope he can help me b/c they just seem to be getting worse! Anyway sorry for complaining!

Foodwise I'm doing good again today. Fourth day strictly OP! This afternoon I'm going for a long walk b/c its so beautiful out. Then I'm hoping this evening I can talk DF into going for a walk with me. He doesn't usually feel like doing anything after work so keep your fingers crossed!

Lisa, I'm so proud of you! Ice Cream is one of my hugest weaknesses. I just can't buy it or it will be gone right away! Great job on your control!

Jess, wtg throwing out that cake! That takes some strong will power too!!

Lori, thanks for the recipe! It looks yummy!

Kirsty, thanks for the Mini-Eggs info! I love them too. I was coutning five eggs for two points but I wasn't sure what the deal was. Thanks so much! I still have 15 in my fridge. I'm rationing them

Becky, Hope you feel better soon! Maybe you & your BF will just have rest together. Not very exciting but good quality time nonetheless! Good job staying OP all week!

KT, Yay for Body Smarts! I had no idea you could eat so many for so little points!!! I love them! They remind me of MoJos that I used spend my allowance on all the time when I was little!

Stacey, looking forward to your recipe! Lock your door & keep the Lysol handy! Getting sick sucks!

Hi everyone else! Talk to you soon

-Rina
Old 02-07-2002, 03:10 PM   #13  
Fed Up With Fat!!

Default Hey!

Kirsty: I broke down and bought some Mini-Eggs! Yum, Yum, to my Tum!!
Ok the broccoli recipe is:

1 package of shredded broccoli (found in the produce section)
2 cups pineapple tidbits, drained (equals about 1 can)
2 cups apple, chopped (one medium)
1/2 cup chopped almonds (one small package)
cole slaw dressing to taste**
Combine all ingredients and chill until ready to serve.
This makes many servings depending on your serving size
As far as the dressing goes, the recipe on the broccoli package called for one cup of dressing. I did that the first time and gagged from too much dressing. The next time I made it, I just poured some over the top and then combined. It was nowhere near a full cup and tasted much better! Always better to go back and add dressing rather than rinsing your slaw! (kidding)

Oh, I'm sad! My Mini-eggs are all gone! I ate them all.
I have another package but I'm saving those until tomorrow!
Chocolate surprise and payday all in one. It will be a heck of a day!
Well, I guess I'd better get busy. Another girl went home sick, so now I've got my boss out with her daughter, my coworker sick and another coworker out with her son and the receptionist is sick, but staying here...so I went to Eckerd's and bought her some medicine (she's from Jamaica and doesn't own a car)
At least it's been quiet, though!
Bye for now,
Old 02-07-2002, 03:29 PM   #14  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey girls
yep tis i the prodgical chick and no we dont have to kill the fatted calf tho if you look at my SIG!!! i am a bit less well fatted than before 8 pounds 2 bee exact
*CONGAS* i expected a gain when i went to the health centre today
that soup sounds fantastic!!
Rina you might try acupuncture i know that sounds strange but it could work
what are body smarts?
Jess i'm going to build a shrine to you and dessert resistance! i could use some
lisa do you make the redbeans and rice yourself or do u buy a package?
Becky good luck at WI! you will do great
Stacy dont let them breathe on you!!
Kirsty ooooh mini eggs wherever i go i see the cadburys creme eggs and i have to restrain b/c if i have one i'll want 5
bbl
Kier
Old 02-07-2002, 04:13 PM   #15  
One Sick Puppy

Kier, don't build a shrine to me--I'm kind of tempted to dig it out of the trash. My boyfriend and I just got in a big fight, I suddenly have this terrible urge to stop at Burger King for a great big Whopper and fries... Sigh. I'm actually kind of reminding myself of the Sex and the City episode where Miranda is addicted to eclairs, but they get too expensive so she bakes a chocolate cake that she eats almost all of, then throws half away. You see her walk past the trash can a couple of times until she finally digs it out, calls Carrie and says something like "I just wanted to call and let you know that your best friend just dug 1/2 a chocolate cake out of the trash. You'll need to know that when you put me in the Betty Ford clinic."

OK, I better stop talking about chocolate cake and throw myself into my work. I'll feel better about the fight when I get home and eat some popcorn while I read a good book...

Bye!!
Closed Thread