Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:05 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

I haven't read the Superfoods book yet (have requested it from the library) but for me the first steps on this journey were inspired by reading Marilu Henner's books. She emphasizes whole/organic foods, eliminating sugar and sugar substitutes, etc. I've been eating this way for about a month now and have lost about 10.5 lbs. since "the change."

Last weekend I attended a family birthday party and didn't plan well enough before going. I had asked the hostess what we were having and she said "chicken" but when I arrived I found that the "chicken" was actually chicken salad, served on white bread. "Vegetables" were sweet pickles, olives and cubes of cheese (I've been eliminating dairy) and dessert was birthday cake which I found way, way too sweet. I tried to eat very moderately. I sat down hungry, pushed away from the table still hungry, and still felt a tremendous desire for a nap afterwards and had indigestion to boot

Yesterday I was at Trader Joe's and was tempted by their beef tacquitos -- you would not believe how many of those I used to be able to chow down!! With lots of quacomole to go with it, of course. I made a quick mental deal with myself: if I still want them when I've lost 100 lbs., then I can have them -- one meal's worth. Whatever is left goes in the garbage. And I just trundled on down the aisle, smiling ...
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:16 AM   #47  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Misti, you do look fabulous. I used to go for longer hair but ever since I switched to shorter hair, I haven't regretted it. I think it looks really good on you.

Donna, welcome. Although I haven't lost 10 lbs in the last month (I wish ), I have felt great from cutting out sugar and sugar substitutes and eating whole foods.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:54 PM   #48  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Misti- please don't take offense to this... I noticed that you are the same age as my father, but I don't believe it. You look like he could be YOUR father!
Great "do", by the way.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #49  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

You know the BEST part about switching to whole foods? It's something I can LIVE with for the rest of my life! It's not something I go on for a while, then go back to my crappy way of eating.

It is TRULY a LIFESTYLE.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:20 AM   #50  
hara hachi bu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen415
You know the BEST part about switching to whole foods? It's something I can LIVE with for the rest of my life! It's not something I go on for a while, then go back to my crappy way of eating.

It is TRULY a LIFESTYLE.
Fact! It's not a fad, and it can be applied anywhere in the world.
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:21 AM   #51  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

You got it, Jen. That's a great mantra. It's maintainable and sustainable. Too often, diets are structured around weightloss and only weightloss and spending any extended period of time on them does more harm than good.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:50 PM   #52  
Working My Way Back Down

Amen to that. I am loving this woe! I've had a few slips, but more and more my old foods are dropping off.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 07:46 PM   #53  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

You want a chage.. here is one for you...

I ate a healthy breakfast at 6:30 am this morning. Things got really crazy at work a lot of physical labor required... so I was moving all day.. drinking water all day... suddenly when lunch time came volunteers arrived. They had already eaten but I hadn't.. nonetheless they were there to help me so I worked through lunch.. then I continued all afternoon. I walked in the door at home just before seven. Yes I was starving.. but I was also exhausted.. younger son has chips in the pantry, ice cream cake in the freezer, and gummy candy in a dish. He doesn't eat a lot of it.. and neither do we... that is why it is still there! From a 4th of July bbq we had... anyway... I'm standing in the kitchen ready to eat the sink.. and

I found myself eating the cut pinapple from the frig..
then running a bubble bath...
then 2 pork ribs that I shared with the dog
then a spoonful of hummus
.. then bringing a glass of wine and a piece of dark chocolate into the bath...

That was dinner #1. I am calm.. I am happy... I am pleased. In an hour or so I'll have some vegetable mandu soup (potstickers). And still feel great.

Go back a few months and show the video of me coming home so late with an empty stomach and a stressful day. It wasn't pretty!

This is a great change!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:07 AM   #54  
DollyR

S/C/G: GW - 145

Changes?....

Last night we went out to eat and I really thought the lobster roll would be good but then I thought about the french fries and the cole slaw that came with it and it just did not appeal to me. (Last year I would of been all over it.)

Anyway I had the swordfish with asparagus and white whipped potatoes. Before that I had baked stuffed clams.
I also drank two beers.

I am not sure what it was but later about 9:30 ish my legs and feet felt like lead. I could barely move and I had no desire to? It was a combination of tired and moving boxes yesterday but I was down for the count. I think it was the potatoes and the beer. It just did not make me feel good. I have been slipping and eating whites here and there but I have been off of it for a few days and I think that with the combination of alcohol had a huge effect.

Just my thoughts....
DollyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #55  
Mindful Eater

S/C/G: 253/183/150

Height: 5'4"

Jayde -

I am impressed! Way to go!
BreakingFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 08:20 AM   #56  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Thanks, Breaking Free!
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #57  
hara hachi bu

I made some decent restaurant choices the other night, too. I really wanted a ribs-and-shrimp combo, but I opted for the broiled shrimp. I couldn't resist the cheesy hashbrowns. Instead of getting soup, I got a spinach salad with bacon dressing on the side, and gave the eggs and croutons to DS. I ate too much bread and a quarter of my son's dessert, but I ate less than half of the shrimp and hashbrowns and promptly boxed it up for lunch the next day.

I'm glad I did, because when I logged everything into fitday I was again shocked at how many extra calories restaurant food packs in. And to think I would have easily polished that whole thing off (and maybe then some?) in prior days!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 11:36 PM   #58  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

No dessert cravings! I've noticed that when I am not just around dessert, but actually serving it (to my DDs), I am NOT tempted in the least! Actually, I'm not tempted by any foods that I have no business eating!

Pizza! I took the night off from cooking, as DH was working his overnight shift and I was just too tired to cook. So, I bought a small plain pizza for my girls. I didn't want a single bite of it! The cheese would get stuck on my fingers and I would wipe it off, instead of eating it!

Ice cream! I just gave my girls one scoop of vanilla ice cream for dessert (with chocolate jimmies) and I didn't want a single spoonful! I was too busy dreaming about the cup of lowfat strawberry yogurt that was waiting for me!

I really don't have food cravings anymore. Even when the supposed temptation is right in front of my face, on my fingertips even, I don't want it at all! It's not willpower either. It's sheer dislike for it!

Speaking of my girls, they are eating more and more SuperFoods each day! My 1 year old loves Kefir! They both love broccoli, carrots, turkey, chicken, fish, berries, nuts, etc! Just about ALL of the SuperFoods! My 5 year old didn't like beans at all. But she tried Olive Garden's Pasta e Fagiole (sp?) and loved it, beans and all! Now, I have to find a good recipe to imitate it at home.

So these are two big changes for me. No cravings and spreading the health with my very young children. Feels good! Feels real good!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 02:18 PM   #59  

S/C/G: 278/203/165

Height: 5'7

I am not sure what changes occured in me if any, but I jsut feel great about having switched to wholefoods. I did that back in April. It just feels so great to know that I am showing my body more respect my giving it the best I can find. I am sure it has some kind of impact on me, but I can't say that I've noticed a dramatic change.
Kreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:12 AM   #60  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Crazy as it sounds, I'm walking differently. I find myself walking as if I am at goal. I feel that good inside! It doesn't matter what my outside looks like. I feel beautiful! It's hard to explain, but I just feel beautiful. And that is exactly how I am carrying myself these days...like I am a beautiful woman!

I can feel this healthy lifestyle really changing me from the inside out, mentally and physically.
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote