Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:37 AM   #61  

Having decided I'm going to be healthy, I am amazed I am carrying it off. I went to my high school reunion Saturday. I had a healthy snack before I went. That was a good thing because the only choices I found there were a relish tray. Soooo, I ate lots of veggies, had one beer and then ice water. And I didn't feel bad. It was ok with me. I was hungry later before going on with friends for drinks so I got two pintos&cheese from taco bell. Not great but not terrible (did make me feel a little yucky later). At the bar I had club soda and lime. And I still didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. That is an accomplishment.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #62  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Good for you, Joyofsix! Even if it's baby steps, you are progressing toward your goal!

My August Exercise Goal: 180/500
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:18 AM   #63  
Lookin for my collarbones

I've been loving reading this thread. I'm still sneaking up on being full-bore whole foods, but it has been a long, slow, interesting sneak.

This one gets me, though. We went out to dinner last night, and out comes my chicken with a whole carrot as part of the sides. Now, I have never really liked many vegetables, and carrots are (were?) one I didn't like.

But it is a superfood, so, gosh, I'm going to give it a shot...

IT WAS SOOOOOOOOO YUMMY. I cannot believe how good it tasted. It probably had some butter on it, but I don't care at this point. I've never had a carrot that tasted good.

It is 6:15 am the next morning, and I'm still thinking about that carrot, and how excited I am that I loved it. I am hoping that maybe my tastebuds are FINALLY starting to change a bit. It would sure make it easier if my tastes could start to expand. Maybe I had to change mentally (I WANT to eat this, as opposed to I HAVE to eat this) in order for me to really start to like some of the good stuff.

-Sara
Rabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #64  
Finding Me Again

S/C/G: 235/212/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbitt
I've been loving reading this thread. I'm still sneaking up on being full-bore whole foods, but it has been a long, slow, interesting sneak.

This one gets me, though. We went out to dinner last night, and out comes my chicken with a whole carrot as part of the sides. Now, I have never really liked many vegetables, and carrots are (were?) one I didn't like.

But it is a superfood, so, gosh, I'm going to give it a shot...

IT WAS SOOOOOOOOO YUMMY. I cannot believe how good it tasted. It probably had some butter on it, but I don't care at this point. I've never had a carrot that tasted good.

It is 6:15 am the next morning, and I'm still thinking about that carrot, and how excited I am that I loved it. I am hoping that maybe my tastebuds are FINALLY starting to change a bit. It would sure make it easier if my tastes could start to expand. Maybe I had to change mentally (I WANT to eat this, as opposed to I HAVE to eat this) in order for me to really start to like some of the good stuff.

-Sara
AWESOME! A carrot, huh? The simple things in life have amazing impacts on our lives don't they? That one, simple, delicious carrot may have been the extra boost into healthy eating that you needed! You have me wanting some carrots! I usually steam mine and then add a little butter, salt, pepper and parsley (for color). Simple, but so darn good!
olivia627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #65  
hara hachi bu

Pardon me for stereotyping, Rabbitt, but don't rabbits typically like carrots? That's awesome, I'm glad you tried them again and liked them!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:23 AM   #66  
Finding Me Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
Pardon me for stereotyping, Rabbitt, but don't rabbits typically like carrots?
Old 08-08-2006, 01:53 PM   #67  
Lookin for my collarbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantastica
Pardon me for stereotyping, Rabbitt, but don't rabbits typically like carrots? That's awesome, I'm glad you tried them again and liked them!
As my mom would say... "Smart Rear!"

Rabbit, Bunny, and 10,000 variations (Bun-Rah, Rodent of Power! hehe) are nicknames my hubby gave me 10 years ago when we first met. Maybe he was predicting the far away, finally arrived future?

-Sara
Rabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #68  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Gosh all, love this thread!! Have to agree with you all; when I lost last 20 lbs I literally drove home from work one day and said, wow, it's been X weeks since I drank soda, ate fast food, etc etc. It does kind of sneak up on your bc at some point it goes from being a chore to manage to just habit. Probably about 3 weeks to make that transition I would guess, and it was about 8 weeks that it dawned on me.

Misti - you are changing faster than I can keep up with you! Another great photo, beautiful girl!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:10 PM   #69  

I'm just continually amazed at how quickly our bodies change once we stop eating certain things - I'm only about a few weeks into this WOE as a real commitment, and while my head remembers all the not-so-good foods I used to enjoy, my body seems to have already forgotten, LOL!!

Case in point - we had dinner with the IL's last night. My MIL often cooks relatively healthy meals with lots of different veggies, so I wasn't too worried about dinner. Well, we get there and she has decided to make her version of beef stroganoff - namely, beef and onions cooked in straight cream. Sounds weird, but really is - well, was(once upon a time) - delicious! Rich, to be sure. Anyway - that's all there was. Stroganoff and rice, and green peas. Normally I would fill my plate with salad and other veggies so my smaller portion of the main entree wouldn't be as noticeable - no chance of that, so I got a big portion of peas, a smaller amount of rice, and a smaller amount still of the beef and made the best of it. I didn't feel bad about having the stroganoff as the rest of my day was more than fine, but I knew that I would feel better (mentally) if I didn't have too much. Little did I realize that I would wind up feeling like crap PHYSICALLY, even with the small portion I had!! I haven't experienced stomach pain and discomfort like I had last night in a looooong time - the food wasn't bad or anything, it was just much richer than anything I've eaten in a while. Add in the straight white rice, and it was just too much for my tummy to handle, I guess.

Anyway - it was an eye opener. I felt so rotten all night that I'll be surprised if stroganoff - or anything remotely as rich - ever sounds good to me again!! I'm finding that more and more now: I can look at certain foods that I used to enjoy, and think "yuck!" and not even be tempted by them. The heavy stuff and the processed stuff just doesn't have any appeal anymore
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:26 PM   #70  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlove
Anyway - it was an eye opener. I felt so rotten all night that I'll be surprised if stroganoff - or anything remotely as rich - ever sounds good to me again!!

Yep, that's how I felt after Taco Bell the other night. It was waaay too rich for me.

Last edited by joyofsix; 08-10-2006 at 06:52 PM.
joyofsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:46 PM   #71  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

I make a great crimini mushroom strogonoff with low fat sour cream and morning star farm veggie crumbles. PM me if you want the recipe! I serve it over brown rice with a salad, love it!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #72  

Sugarlove--I completely understand about just not WANTING the other stuff. Example: hubby got caught at work and asked me to stop and bring him lunch. I ran by Chipotle and got him a bowl (beans, meat, salsa, cheese, sour cream) and a cheese quesadilla. Now, a few weeks ago I would have been sorely tempted to get a quesadilla of my own, and probably would have given in. But TODAY, I wasn't interested. Huh. Then I got to the office and had to wait a few minutes until he could run out and pick up his lunch, and I started fantasizing about what I would eat when I got home. It had been 5 hours since I last ate, so it was reasonable that I was fantasizing...but...about a BANANA? I swear it's true!

And the banana was yummy! Yum yum yum...very happy now.
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:42 PM   #73  

Glory, PM coming your way!
Katpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:29 PM   #74  
Finding Me Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87
I make a great crimini mushroom strogonoff with low fat sour cream and morning star farm veggie crumbles. PM me if you want the recipe! I serve it over brown rice with a salad, love it!
Ummm, don't keep this a secret....post it in the recipe thread!!!!!
SHARE WITH US!!!!!!

Oh, and trishn222 posted a delicious sounding stroganoff recipe too! It has fat free 'stuff', whole wheat pasta and ground turkey in it. Check the recipe thread for it. I'll be making some pretty soon!