Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 09:49 PM   #1  

Question QUICK! Catered Chinese tomorrow!

At work tomorrow they're having some group lunch, and ordering out Chinese. I made sure they got steamed rice in addition to fried, and I don't really like egg rolls or fortune cookies so I'm benefitting there. But I have to eat something other than rice.

The only meat I eat is shrimp, so they're ordering some shrimp dish. It's either going to be garlic shrimp, or shrimp with Chinese vegetables. I'm trying to figure out how to estimate points (well, not that I do points right now, but it's a convenient measure) based on the sauce, when I don't know what's in the sauce.

Maybe I'll eat a big breakfast, and bring lots of snacks, and not have much at all of the Chinese. I feel sort of bad since they went out of their way to order part of it shrimp, just for me, though...

Any advice?
Old 08-14-2001, 10:23 AM   #2  

My older (123 Success) food companion lists the following info. Maybe it will help you:

Chinese vegetables with shrimp or tofu, 1 cup is 5 points

Shrimp Cantonese, 1 cup is 9 points

Good luck!
Nancy
Old 08-14-2001, 10:41 AM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Try this link for help. Sometimes it has a hard time connecting but keep trying it:

http://members.nbci.com/TonyGott/eth...inese_new.html

Tony has a great ethnic general section as well as alot of other places

http://members.nbci.com/TonyGott/
Old 08-14-2001, 11:28 AM   #4  
Senior Tortoise

GOOD HEAVENS!!!! I had no idea Thai food was so high in fat!!! I eat a lot of Thai food. Guess I'll have to stick to making it at home!

Thanks for the link, Kelly.

--Lauren
Old 08-14-2001, 11:34 AM   #5  

Default Thanks for the advice!

Sounds like a non-greasy shrimp dish is probably about 5 points per a cup. I think a cup is supposed to be the size of my fist. I forget. Hrm.

And rice seems like 5 points per cup, if steamed with oil. I'm assuming that the Chinese restaurant will including oil or something in when they steam it. Don't all restaurants? I thought they did, as a rule, and that's why the points companion listed rice as 5 points instead of the 3 I get when I steam it myself, plain.

So 10 points. That's not so bad. Definitely not eating chicken and beef helps to keep the calories down. I got them to avoid the sweet and sour and kung pao shrimp, which sounds like it was wise.

Thanks for the quick feedback, lunch is in half an hour. I've got that web site you mentioned bookmarked, Kelly!
Old 08-14-2001, 04:39 PM   #6  

I thought the reason the steamed rice was 5 points was because of the type of rice they use and becasue it's steamed rather than boiled (less water to absorb). It doesn't swell up as much as regular long-grain rice, so you actually get more rice grains in a cup of the steamed rice vs a cup of regular long grain rice. It's not steamed w/ oil, I don't think. Regular long grain rice is listed as 5 pts because that assumes you cook it w/ butter or oil as the package says. If you leave the butter/oil out, the rice is actually 4 pts per cup. The exception to that is Uncle Ben's converted rice, which is 3 pts per cup.

Clear as mud?? Bet your lunch was good, though!!
Closed Thread