Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #1  
Sally

S/C/G: 222.5/207.6/140

Height: 5' 3"

Default Posting sites and the responses you get

I post on the Weight Watchers site, and I mentioned that I had to change some things today, as my Grandsons are coming and they would like Poppy to BBQ hotdogs and hamburgers. I received multiple posts about how bad a Grandparent I was as I was letting my grandchildren have a hotdog, and starting them on bad eating habits. This surprised me a great deal, as I am a strong believer that food is only bad for you if all you eat is that one thing, or you over do something, but that in modertion that food is general good for you. I find it hard that a BBQ hotdog for my Grandsons makes me a bad Grandparent. I know it is processed and all that, but really, has everyone stopped BBQ'ing the basic hotdog and hamburgers these days.
Just venting, I don't much like being told I am a Bad Grandparent. Thanks for listening.
Sallyannb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/189/145

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallyannb View Post
I post on the Weight Watchers site, and I mentioned that I had to change some things today, as my Grandsons are coming and they would like Poppy to BBQ hotdogs and hamburgers. I received multiple posts about how bad a Grandparent I was as I was letting my grandchildren have a hotdog, and starting them on bad eating habits. This surprised me a great deal, as I am a strong believer that food is only bad for you if all you eat is that one thing, or you over do something, but that in modertion that food is general good for you. I find it hard that a BBQ hotdog for my Grandsons makes me a bad Grandparent. I know it is processed and all that, but really, has everyone stopped BBQ'ing the basic hotdog and hamburgers these days.
Just venting, I don't much like being told I am a Bad Grandparent. Thanks for listening.
Agreed! i believe hotdogs are ok once in a while you can't shelter kids and expect them to eat only healthy food, they will end up eating extream amounts of "junk food" as soon as it is made available to them and you are not around to stop them.
cablgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Don't take it to heart. When you post on line SO MUCH is left open for interpretation and assumptions. No, allowing your grand kids to eat hot dogs and burgers is not starting bad eating habits. You have the power to educate them and talk to them about what they eat and how to use moderation and make good choices. One hot dog does not make you a terrible grand parent.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:32 PM   #4  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

That's terrible! (The reactions, not you! ) I, too, believe the key is moderation. One hot dog is not going to start them on bad eating habits. Geesh.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #5  
Sue

S/C/G: 225/185/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I received multiple posts about how bad a Grandparent I was as I was letting my grandchildren have a hotdog, and starting them on bad eating habits.
That's just plain silly! Most of us posting here have learned that our bad eating habits have to do with frequency and volume of consuming not-so-healthy foods. A hot dog or a bowl of mac and cheese or a dish of ice cream isn't setting anyone up for obesity later in life. A constant diet of those things is a whole 'nother story.

Enjoy your BBQ with the grandkids.
mahtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #6  

Height: 5'9"

MMMMMMM. Hot dogs. I love hot dogs, but to tell you the truth, they are not what made me fat. My inability to stop eating in general is what made me fat. I've noticed most children are able to tell when they are full, and they usually stop eating. It's when the parent says "Hey you aren't done, you need to eat all of that," that food becomes a problem. I still have clean your plate mentality, because that is what I was taught, not to waste food and all that jazz. If they are getting good nutrition otherwise, a BBQ with grandma and grandpa is a part of life, and a good one! If it really bothers you, get healthier buns and lower fat hotdogs, and serve them with something healthy on the side. Problem solved. Enjoy your BBQ!
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #7  
Sally

thanks Guys, and I am a darn good Gramma, a rather strick one actually, and I am big on healthy eating, not because of me and my weight or anything like that, I just happen to think kids need the good stuff, but I also believe in all the fun food, now and then. The side dish is corn on the cob, and I buy high quality chicken or Turkey weiners....Gramma does not like Beef weiners.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Don't pay attention to such silliness. Do those posters think your grandchildren will go through life with never eating a hotdog or hamburger ?I don't think so. Eating hotdogs and hamburgers every day, not good but once in awhile I can't see that it will do them permanent damage.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:56 PM   #9  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
The side dish is corn on the cob, and I buy high quality chicken or Turkey weiners....Gramma does not like Beef weiners.
Oh, you just reminded me that I have two ears in my fridge and just yesterday I bought some Boca Burgers at Aldi's (I'm a vegetarian, but I ended up buying the vegan variety since they are only 2 pts!) I don't care if it's only supposed to be, like, 50 degrees this weekend. I'm having myself a proper summer dinner tomorrow night!
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:10 PM   #10  
Sally

Thanks again ....I also eat the occassional veggie burger Tudor Rose. Maybe I will pick some of them up this weekend.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #11  

Height: 5'4"

I stopped posting on that site as they are extremely rude to me. Anytime i've ever asked a question or put up my situation, it never failed, i got rude responses. That particular forum is in my opinion a disgrace. It's nothing you said, trust me!!

LOVE this forum and will never leave lol!!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #12  
Sally

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointspluspioneer View Post
I stopped posting on that site as they are extremely rude to me. Anytime i've ever asked a question or put up my situation, it never failed, i got rude responses. That particular forum is in my opinion a disgrace. It's nothing you said, trust me!!

It was a pretty good attack, the second one really. The first time I posted it was a get to know you post, what I do for a living, my age, how long I have been battling my weight, and that it was my third time at WW. I was asked why I felt I would not fail again as I always have, if I was still over weight all these years, and my third time at WW...and why I thought this time I could do it. Can't remember the exact words, but I was bluntly told I was a failure at wieght loss, and she hoped I was not paying again to not loss again, that it would be a waste of my money. In the same post I was told to read the rules they would not have to ask the moderators to move my posts to where they should be. I did not post again for a weeks then just started to support others and say congratulations and answer a question if I knew the answer. I shared to much of myself yesterday and had someone jump all over me again. I work at home, and with children, I go to the meetings, but it is nice to have the support of a site when you are at home all day every day, and no adults to talk to. I picked an older group of people I felt thinking I would not have to deal with such posts...but hey, I was wrong...lol. This post may sound like I am not over it, but I am, I am just taking some time to make sure I have a wall up to protect my sensitive skin. Don't want to be sent running for a cookie because of a post.....lol.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #13  

Height: 5'4"

I completely understand why you would be leery. I even said in front of EVERYONE at my WW meeting that their site was the worst site i've ever experienced and that i was treated sooooo rudely. It's suppose to be a place of encouragement, instead i was bashed for everything i was supposedly "doing wrong". SO on one post, i defended myself saying why are you all so negative towards me. I actually may complain on line to the WW people. This also happened to a friend of mine. We haven't been back since!!
pointspluspioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointspluspioneer View Post

Truthfully, I agree - I've been going there for years, and take breaks from time to time because the people can be so mean...some boards are worse than others, but lately, it seems that a lot of truly unnice folks are posting there. I stick to here and DWLZ!
LoveChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #15  

I do eat hot dogs a couple times of the year but I make sure to get the best I can which for me are Hebrew National All-Beef that are only 50 calories each and very low in fat and they are only meat - no byproducts and organ meats.
What do the kids eat at home? If its not a healthy diet, I'd sure be giving them one at my house.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote