Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 213/197/130

Height: 5'4"

I started doing weights right about the same time I started eating better and doing cardio. I do upper body resistance right now every other day, along w/the treadmill every day. I've started out w/low weights, (or girl weights as my husband would put it) and I'm slowly working my way to larger weights.
Dejavugirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #17  
threenorns

my initiation into weight-lifting came after i went from a pathetic 220lbs/size 26 on a VLCD (9 months of it!) and plateau'd out. dr said it was time to bring the calories up and start exercising, so i went to a gym where i was emphatic that i didn't want to get "all big and muscle-y" as i looked with horror at the pictures of famous bodybuilders and fitness athletes all over the walls.

needless to say, remembering that makes me feel a right prat now, lol.

i started off with a typical noob routine - major cardio, light weights, high reps, full-body routine done 3x/wk

after i'd been going assiduously for a few weeks, i was going mental on the lifestep when a guy behind me commented on my gluteal assets. whoever he spoke with chided him and said although he agreed, what was more hot was the amount of work i'd been putting in. i was absolutely mortified and when i finished the set, i turned around to give them a piece of my mind and there was nobody there but a short white guy (blonde/blue) built like a brick s----house.

i apologized, said i thought he was someone else who was just talking a few minutes ago, and literally nearly fell off the machine when he answered in a thick west indian accent - he was from trinidad.

we had a great conversation where he critiqued my form (the exercise, i mean), informed me i was working way under my potential, and gave me tips to make the exercise more profitable in less time (i was doing 45min sessions).

couple weeks later, i saw him again and asked him for help with the seated lat pull at the cable station - it was really hurting my right shoulder. he told me the trainer had taught me all wrong (the trainer had me sitting too far back and leaning forward so the hook for the bar was ripping hair out of my head on the way up and down unless i tucked my chin down and cheated my head to the right), corrected my form, then asked if i was interested in a REAL trainer.

he trained me for 2-1/2yrs and i've loved slinging metal ever since although now i prefer the instant gratification of powerlifting to the long-term outlook of bodybuilding.

Last edited by threenorns; 03-27-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 220/175/140

Height: 5'3

I started consistently strength training about 6 weeks ago...that was about 10 months into my journey!! and I love it!! I can already tell the difference in my waist ..legs and back...I wish I would have listen to EVERYONE who said to start earlier!!
jajomo0118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:58 AM   #19  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I started in Sept 2011 with a personal trainer and I LOVE IT! It totally shapes me and I fit into smaller sizes compared to what the scale says! I'm increasing my cardio now though.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 150s/122/110

Height: 5'2

I started in late January with the goal of improving my body composition. Before weight lifting, I was a cardio queen with proportionately skinny legs and wobbly belly, boobs, and arms. I'm at a healthy weight for my height, but was super skinny-fat with a lot of cellulite and not much strength.

I'm a little prone to injury, so I'm probably not lifting as heavy as I could but in general try to stick to fewer reps heavier weight. 2-3x per week, I do a variety of squats (deep, front loading), lunges with off-set weights, and plenty of work with barbells and my body weight. So far I've managed to avoid straining anything and have seen a shift in my shape from a fuller stomach, slender bottom to tighter tummy, thicker thighs and butt, which is a little alarming, but I think I've just got to keep pushing on and working through my fat layer while a more pear-shaped figure emerges.

One thing I have noticed is that HIIT plus weights has increased my cardiovascular ability much more than straight miles upon miles ever did. I used to be challenged by running at 6.5 on the treadmill and now can blast it at 8. My longer runs are also much springier and fast.
guichita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #21  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValRock View Post
I started about a year ago but I wish I'd started a LONG time ago. It's fun, makes me feel awesome, and makes me look amazing!!! And, it's SO good for you.
I started lifting after I had lost most of my weight, and one of my biggest regrets is that I didn't start earlier... I could have held on to a lot more muscle that way. But what's done is done, and now I'm actively building.

It's never too early to strength train!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #22  

I started because of Crossfit.

Before Crossfit, I was working out for months. I did a 6 week program in the winter and was working out at a bootcamp and other exercise classes 3 times per week. I watched what I ate and litterally lost 0.2 lbs that whole time.

Enter Crossfit. I've only been doing it for a month or so and lost 5lbs but made REAL changes to my body. For the first time in my life my left arm has a noticable bicep muscle lol.

It really makes me wonder why I didn't lift weights before. It is amazing.
Pepino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 234/176.2/168

Height: 5'11

I started when my kids went back to school last fall...that's when I started my weight loss journey. I slowly started doing cardio too after a month of weight lifting. I've been working with a trainer since then and recently bought the NROLFW, a weight bench and some 15, 20, and 25 lb dumbbells to work out on my own at home.

I love lifting!
jenjulia is offline   Reply With Quote