3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Fitness > Weight and Resistance Training

Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

hey, new here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
TheGymNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11

Default hey, new here

i been lifting for a while, 8 years now, and if anyone has any questions ask away!!

i have a question myself. What have you been doing to break any plateaus in strength gain? I myself have been stuck at the same strength for quite some
time.
TheGymNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Kallos Sthenos
 
Lydia227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio and Burke, VA
Posts: 1,658

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Default

Hi GymNerd and welcome. Have you taken a look at Maxiumum Strength by Eric Cressey? It's a sixteen week, four phase program designed to improve muscle strength as well as mass.

I follow Cressey through his blogs and found that he is as much as an educator as a strength and conditioning coach. He has sound advice and insight in this area as well as in corrective exercise.

In my own efforts I have found that totally revamping my programming has been effective. I've done my own programming for five years with decent results. In the last year I hit the limit of my own experience and am just beginning Crossfit. My hope is that this type of challenge will also play out as an increase in overall functional strength but it's way to early to tell right now. You'll just have to stay posted.

We do have a couple of others on the site who have been Crossfitting for a few years and have found that they are truly reaching new levels of strength and endurance. It may be something to consider as well if you have not already approached this method.

Best of luck.
__________________
InspirationMotivation Perspiration
:Rejuvenation:
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Tellin' it like it is!
 
mkroyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denver Co
Posts: 1,657

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Default

I did Intermittent Fasting
During which time i (unexpectedly) made HUGE gains in strength..... we're talking 50% on some lifts even 100% more. I know tha seems incredibly exaggerated, BUT i was training in a "glycgen depleted" state for so long (years), once my body had an over abundance of it during training.... WOW. ANd i do lift heavy, and i DONT think i was "sandbagging" my weights previously..... so..

If you havent done Intermittent Fasting, you might looki into giving it a try
__________________


"All the Secrets of your foundation shall come to light.... and when you lie, uprooted and broken in the sun, then shall your lies also be separated from your truths" Nietzche

"I do not workout. I TRAIN.
I do not eat. I FEED.
I do not sleep. I RECHARGE.
My greatest fear in this life is the fear of being ordinary
."
Personal Bests

MARATHON- 3:58
10K- 44:42
1/2 Marathon - 1:50:48
5 miles - 36:12
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WI Northwoods
Posts: 672

Default

Hey Nerd. Based on your avatar, you're doing well! Nice!

I agree with Lydia, although I haven't done that particular program, but my advice is to totally change everything in your routine for 6 weeks. And I mean drop EVERYthing. Instead, do p90x stuff, stay away from running, suppliment your diet in ways you hadn't before. Basically, make your body wonder who the heck just took over. Do this for 6 weeks.

Then take a week off to recover and just rest.

Then, start your heavy lifting routine again.

You'll feel renewed. Your muscles have had a chance to totally recover and you'll find you have more energy to push yourself harder than before.

Anyway, this has been my experience. I was liftin heavy for 4 years. Not many gains the last year. I started teaching boot camp and saw and felt my body transform in a different way (for example, I have more shoulder definition and can lunge and squat more than before). I rest every 6 weeks for a week. When I got back to the gym to lift, the only thing that hasn't improved was my bench press and my pull ups (difficult to improve with just boot camp and light weights) but they haven't gotten weaker. Either way, I mixed it up and got over my squat/lunge/shoulder plateau. Also, the nagging shoulder pain I used to fight through has gone away.

Good luck. Keep up the good work. And don't worry about a thing. You're doing fine.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:08 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
TheGymNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 11

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia227 View Post
Hi GymNerd and welcome. Have you taken a look at Maxiumum Strength by Eric Cressey? It's a sixteen week, four phase program designed to improve muscle strength as well as mass.

I follow Cressey through his blogs and found that he is as much as an educator as a strength and conditioning coach. He has sound advice and insight in this area as well as in corrective exercise.

In my own efforts I have found that totally revamping my programming has been effective. I've done my own programming for five years with decent results. In the last year I hit the limit of my own experience and am just beginning Crossfit. My hope is that this type of challenge will also play out as an increase in overall functional strength but it's way to early to tell right now. You'll just have to stay posted.

We do have a couple of others on the site who have been Crossfitting for a few years and have found that they are truly reaching new levels of strength and endurance. It may be something to consider as well if you have not already approached this method.

Best of luck.
i took a look at Maximum Strength by Eric Cressey online and found out
for the core of his information i will have to buy his book. Do you have any
idea where i can find his main philosophies online for free? It seems that
his information got alot of positive reviews, but information is scarce
on what he actually suggests one to do.

I hear about cross fit all the the time. Mostly have heard about it online
though, not from many people in the gym. If it goes well for you let me
know what the routine is like and i will alter my own and give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkroyer View Post
I did Intermittent Fasting
During which time i (unexpectedly) made HUGE gains in strength..... we're talking 50% on some lifts even 100% more. I know tha seems incredibly exaggerated, BUT i was training in a "glycgen depleted" state for so long (years), once my body had an over abundance of it during training.... WOW. ANd i do lift heavy, and i DONT think i was "sandbagging" my weights previously..... so..

If you havent done Intermittent Fasting, you might looki into giving it a try
intermittent fasting? just looked it up quickly never heard of it before. So
you eat your 6 meals or however you eat on day1. and day 2 you dont
eat anything? Logically i can see how that may shock the body for sure.
How long did you do intermittent fasting for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmom View Post
Welcome! Wow, eight years. I feel like a weight-lifting virgin, lol. I've only been doing resistance training for like two.

I have a question: I began using kettlebells about six months ago and noticed almost immediately that those so-called 'v-cuts' began to emerge on my lower torso where it meets my upper thigh. Is this normal after implementing a more hardcore weight-lifting routine as opposed to just dumbbells which I was previously doing? BTW, I've tightened up my diet as well. Thanks in advance.
yep 8 years. I ve had plenty of ups and downs. But my joints are healthy
and i m ready for another 8 years and then some.

What were you doing previously with your dumbbell training? Kettlebells
seem to be a good full body workout. They defiantly hit the core, lowerback,
legs, and many other muscles. I could see that they would thicken the
muscle in the lower abdomen area you speak of. But maybe it is also
due to fat loss? Sometimes when one loses fat new muscle definition is
noticed. Could be a little of both possibly. Also are you male or female?
I know that the V area you speak of is normally alot more prevalent
on the male physique. It is noticeable on woman too though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness4life View Post
Hey Nerd. Based on your avatar, you're doing well! Nice!

I agree with Lydia, although I haven't done that particular program, but my advice is to totally change everything in your routine for 6 weeks. And I mean drop EVERYthing. Instead, do p90x stuff, stay away from running, suppliment your diet in ways you hadn't before. Basically, make your body wonder who the heck just took over. Do this for 6 weeks.

Then take a week off to recover and just rest.

Then, start your heavy lifting routine again.

You'll feel renewed. Your muscles have had a chance to totally recover and you'll find you have more energy to push yourself harder than before.

Anyway, this has been my experience. I was liftin heavy for 4 years. Not many gains the last year. I started teaching boot camp and saw and felt my body transform in a different way (for example, I have more shoulder definition and can lunge and squat more than before). I rest every 6 weeks for a week. When I got back to the gym to lift, the only thing that hasn't improved was my bench press and my pull ups (difficult to improve with just boot camp and light weights) but they haven't gotten weaker. Either way, I mixed it up and got over my squat/lunge/shoulder plateau. Also, the nagging shoulder pain I used to fight through has gone away.

Good luck. Keep up the good work. And don't worry about a thing. You're doing fine.
Yeah i hear shock the body all the time. I usually rotate between 2 different
splits every couple of months. you know back bis, chest tri, legs, shoulders
an abs : split 1. And the 2nd split is upperbody day1, lower day2, abs cardio day3, upper day4, lower day 5. I believe these are 2 common splits
used by many. Can you suggest another good routine?

and about changing the diet, would you recommend intermittent fasting like another has suggested?

Last edited by TheGymNerd : 07-14-2011 at 02:09 AM.
TheGymNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:42 AM   #6
Kallos Sthenos
 
Lydia227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio and Burke, VA
Posts: 1,658

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Default

GymNerd: Check the local library for his Cressey's book. You could also take a view of it at a local bookstore to see if the programming seems reasonable to you. Cressey has a lot of YouTube videos online where he does give insight into his training methods.

With regard to CrossFit, you can look at the mainsite for ideas of their workouts. There is a new workout posted each day called a WOD. They also have videos at the mainsite on how to do some of the movements or refine the skills that are already familiar to you. It may also be interesting to find an affiliate site of CrossFit that you like as well. Many affiliates do their own programming that may be different than the one posted on the mainsite. Always good ideas there.
__________________
InspirationMotivation Perspiration
:Rejuvenation:
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: WI Northwoods
Posts: 672

Default

Nerd, is there any way for you to check notes with a GOOD trainer? My bf trains in the gym where I work and he is known for making 10-20 lb muscle gains in his male 17-30 aged clients in 6-10 months or so. (I may be inaccurate due to the natural weight gain of still-growing hs males). I know he uses super sets in his routine along with nutritional suppliment suggestions.

Everybody is different. You prob need a full evaluation in person by a professional to help you. The problem is, in the fitness industry, you need to recognize a good trainer vs. an ineffective one.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2