Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 09:53 AM   #61  
Ilene the Bean

Oh and before I leave ....

Does anyone have an authorized pizza dough recipe....

Please, please if at all possible, post it ASAP, i need one for tonite because this is pizza nite... and I just don't wanna eat their pizza.... i just need the dough recipe.... i know exactly what I want on it... ground turkey breast, green and red peppers, onions... i can taste it already... yummmmy... But I need a dough recipe....

Later all....
Old 01-10-2003, 11:34 AM   #62  

Thanks for all of the information.
The reason I added the whole wheat cereal, is because I did a search on yahoo, and it took me to the BFL site and there I saw , the foods list and it had

hih fiber cereal, rice cake, popcorn, tortilla, whole rains, under the carb side in addition to the other stuff in the book. And in the fats part it had pumpkin seeds ,low salt nuts, cold water fish, olives and olive oil, falxseed oil, in addition.

And under the avoid section it said butter,fried food,mayonaise,sweets,and whole fat dairy products.

With this high fiber that I am having it keeps me regular, I never go on my on until I started this proram, so I am keeping the wheat pasta and cereal, I also called the support line and they confirmed.

In the book it states that there is more food that are authorized but he just listed his favorites.

I have no doubt that the 5 pounds is water weight, I am just glad that it is gone. Today I have come up with a better plan for my eating, I have different times to do it, I was trying to go strictly according to the times in the book, but I am too tired to get up that early. My husband has allowed me to quit my job to do this so I do not have to work, and I have no kids just 4 dogs, but hate gettin up at 6. But with better planning I have my 6 meals now, and on my free day when I cheat I will add exercise.

I have noticed that even though it is my TOM, I am not craving chocolate, sugar, nothing this is kool, I am howwever wanting a cigarette, that I am dreamin of me smoking them. So far still a non smoker of 2003.

When I get done with this I will cook up some protein, I have a chuck roast, and some round beef to cook up, so then I will have my protein.

I have all of you uys to look forward to keeping me straiht so how can I go wrong. BFL ROCKS>
Old 01-10-2003, 12:11 PM   #63  
Uber-Moderator!!

Tanya - if you want the BEST results on this program - forget what the BFL website says about the foods and FOLLOW THE BOOK. Remember - Bill Phillips is no longer part of EAS - IMO, EAS is trying to make the program more 'acceptable' (kind of like Weight Watchers) to the general public, but if you read the book, it is clear that Bill would have NEVER allowed rice cakes, popcorn, or high fiber cereal - indeed, whole-grain bread is only RELUCTANTLY authorized.

Also, I'd take the 'support line' from EAS with a HUGE grain of salt - judging what I've heard their advice goes all over the place - they recommend a ton of supplements (which you don't need) they've told callers that four hours between meals is 'okay', and that whole milk is just fine and dandy. Remember the bottom line - 1) Bill Phillips is no longer affiliated with EAS; and 2) the ultimate goal of the 'support' line is to sell EAS products. If you want *real* help, ask here or at Lean & Strong!

Think of it this way - you want to feed your muscles QUALITY carbs - something they can work with. For sure, there are worse foods out there than popcorn - but it's really just empty calories - pretty devoid of nutrients. And rice cakes are REALLY high on the glycemic list - I'm going to attach an article from T-Mag here that just about sums things up - first I want to address Lanii's post of the foods list and make some additions:

Protein - I think you can pretty much add ANY seafood to the list. I can't think of a single type of fish (finfish or shellfish) that WOULDN'T be considered 'clean'.

Veggies - same here. Other than avocados and olives (which are technically fruits anyway) I can't think of a single veggie that wouldn't be authorized!

http://www.testosterone.net/nation_a.../172food2.html <== This is the article I was talking about - I'm going to post a segment of it here for your reading pleasure (this is one of my favorites BTW):

Quote:
Foods That Make You Look Good Nekid
…and foods that make you look nasty even while wearin’ a parka!

We’re about to tell you the real secret to building a lean, muscular physique. This dark secret has been guarded for over one hundred years by a secret society made up of magazine publishers and supplement manufacturers. We’re risking life and limb to share this secret with you. Are you ready? Okay, here goes:

The secret is, there is no secret.

Okay, so this isn’t really a secret; it’s more like a piece of wisdom you only develop after at least ten years of hard training and proper dieting. But the fact remains, there are no quick fixes and no miracle training programs.

If there is a real "secret" out there, it’s simply this: A great body results from the consistent application of smart training and proper eating. It’s a four step process: 1) train hard, 2) eat right, 3) use supplementation when necessary, and 4) repeat for many, many years.

Of these four factors, most people screw up when it comes to eating right. So, what the heck is "proper eating?" That depends on your goals. The funny thing is, bodybuilders tend to eat the same foods every day, regardless of what particular diet they’re using. They just switch around the amounts of protein, carbs and fat, and toy with their daily caloric intakes.

This seems strange to the "normal" Taco Bell eatin’ Oprah fans out there, but there’s a logical reason for this. Mainly, most of the food choices available at your local supermarket are crap! In fact, if there were such a thing as a bodybuilder’s grocery store, you wouldn’t need that much shelf space. Come on, do you really need 234 different kinds of breakfast cereal? No! In fact, I propose you don’t need any breakfast cereal!

The more you learn about what constitutes a good diet, the more you realize that 90% of what’s in the supermarket is garbage, a pure distraction from building the body you want.

Pull up a chair and strap on a bib. Let’s dig in!

The Good Stuff

Old Fashioned Oatmeal — Make no mistake about it, oatmeal is the carb of choice for many bodybuilders. Even if you’re on a reduced carb diet, there’s nothing wrong with a serving of oatmeal (27g of carbs) to go along with your morning protein. Your body has been deprived of food all night, so some slow-acting carbs to replenish stores, plus some protein, make for a great bodybuilding breakfast.

Oatmeal has about three grams of natural unsaturated fats, five grams of protein, and two grams each of soluble and insoluble fiber. The fiber not only helps keep your pooper working properly, the soluble variety can help improve cholesterol levels, thus earning the American Heart Association’s "heart healthy" seal of approval.

Only buy oatmeal that lists "100% natural rolled oats" in the ingredients. That’s it! Oats should be the one and only ingredient. Do not purchase those individually packaged, flavored oatmeal products! (More on that in our "Bad Stuff" section.) Also, don’t screw up a good thing by adding milk and sugar. Eat your oatmeal like a man. And by the way, old fashioned oats cook up just fine in the microwave, no need to boil the water in a pot.

Oatmeal rocks. Make it a staple of your diet.

Fat Free Cottage Cheese — We hate the taste and texture of cottage cheese. Most of us also eat at least five pounds of those chunky curds a week. Our secret for making this stuff palatable? We blend it with protein powders and make puddings and thick shakes out of it. Why do we go through all that trouble? Easy, cottage cheese is a great source of casein, one of the best proteins for bodybuilders.

Casein gets props because of its slow digestion and absorption rates. A snack involving cottage cheese will provide a steady, slow paced release of amino acids into the bloodstream. Cottage cheese is also low in carbs. Combine that with its slow digesting protein and it makes an ideal bedtime snack to help prevent any possible nighttime catabolism (muscle wasting caused by an eight hour fast.)

You’ll want to stick to the fat free kind and avoid the creamed varieties because of their "bad" fat content. Sure, the fat free kind is a little bitter, but if you use it as a base for other foods like we do, then that doesn’t matter much.

Tuna and Other Fish — If oatmeal is a staple carb source for bodybuilders, then tuna is a staple protein source. It’s cheap, low in fat, carb-free, and packs 13 grams of protein into just two ounces.

You can get it in cans or those new waterless "no-drain" packages, which are even more convenient (though a little more expensive.) You can also buy it packed in water or oil, the latter being very handy for those diets that require a lot of protein plus fat meals.

We’ve heard rumors that there are other kinds of fish besides tuna, but they probably require cooking and only gay guys cook. (We’re kidding. Please stop typing those hate letters now.) Salmon is another good source and you can buy it in cans like tuna. Most of us think canned salmon is just plain nasty, but T-mag contributors John and Steve Berardi live off the stuff. That and breath mints.

Beef and Poultry — Let’s hear it for dead animal flesh, nature’s protein with feet! (Vegans love us, can’t ya tell?) This category includes beef, chicken, and turkey, although anything you can catch counts too. T-mag contributor Coach Davies even recommends large quantities of buffalo and ostrich to his athletes.

First, let’s hunker down on some juicy steak. Red meat got a bad rap back in the 80’s, but things have started to swing in the other direction. The beef proponents were usually fat-free fanatics and animal rights activists who thought that eating bagels and soybeans all day was the enlightened path to health and thinness. They were wrong.

Beef is chocked full of protein and nutrients; it’s even been dubbed "nature’s multi-vitamin" by some. Sure, it has some fat, but fat ain’t bad in the right amounts. A proper amount of fat in your diet, even some saturated fat, is necessary and healthy.

Always go for steaks that have the words "round" or "loin" in the name. These are the leanest cuts. Avoid the fatty meats with the word "rib" in the name. For us, that simply means ordering sirloin instead of prime rib. At the grocery store, choose cuts that are over 90% lean and trim any excess fat. Beef jerky is good when you’re on the run, but avoid those processed and chemical-laden deli meats, along with bologna and franks.

White meat chicken and turkey are great too. Since they’re high in protein and carb-free, chicken breasts are one of bodybuilding’s most versatile foods. Eat ‘em up!

Eggs — Before the popularity of protein powders, bodybuilders relied largely on eggs to bump up their protein intake. A large egg has seven grams of protein, 80 calories, and a great BV (biological value).

Again, you may be wondering about the fat and cholesterol, and again I can tell you that the media has over-hyped the issues. If you’re following a good diet and working out, a few whole eggs aren’t going to hurt you. Even the very conservative American Heart Association says it’s okay to have four whole eggs per week.

Still, most bodybuilders use egg whites in their meals with only one or two yolks thrown in. You can even buy pasteurized egg products with the yolks removed. Add a whole egg to a carton of egg substitute and you have a great bodybuilder omelet.

Fruits and Veggies — There are about a hundred reasons that fruit can be a healthy part of a bodybuilder’s diet. Bottom line: Fruit provides you with vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, certain flavones, fiber and may even have some protein-sparing effects. Eat some fruit, but avoid most fruit juices. (More on that below.)

As for veggies, what can we say? Mom said to eat them and mom was right. There are some things out there that only nature can provide, and many of those goodies are packed into fruits and vegetables.

Protein Powders — We can hear some of the crybabies now, "Wait a minute, protein powder ain’t food! It’s a supplement!" We understand what you mean, but we consider quality protein powders and MRPs to be food. Look at the labels and you’ll see protein, fat, carbs, vitamins, and minerals. Sounds like food to us, just in a concentrated form.

Protein powders make the list because they’re nutrient rich, fast and convenient. They’ve truly revolutionized the bodybuilding industry and have allowed regular people with jobs and families to get the nutrition they need to add muscle. Try to work at least eight hours a day, train, spend time with friends and family and still fit in five or six nutritious, protein-packed meals a day. Protein powders fix that problem. Those low carb protein powders are especially good because you can use them in cutting and bulking diets.

The Okay Stuff

This category includes foods that are generally considered pretty good for the bodybuilder, but may not be perfect for everyone. Just play around with these foods and see how they work for you. We think most of these choices below lean toward the "good" side anyway.

Nuts and Natural Peanut Butter — Nuts make the "okay" list (instead of the "good" list) for one specific reason: they’re very calorically dense. For that reason, they’re often recommended to those supposed "hard gainers" out there. One ounce of peanuts (about 32 nuts to be precise) has 160 calories, eight grams of protein and five grams of carbs. Nuts are high in fat, but only a small part of that is saturated (two out of fourteen grams for peanuts.)

Now, since nuts are so calorically dense, you have to be careful. Just snacking on a can of party peanuts can quickly add a thousand calories to your daily intake. But overall, nuts make a good high fat, low carb food. (Cashews have the highest amount of carbs, about eight grams per serving, so be careful there.) They’re filling, portable and can be a healthy part of any diet.

We’re also a big fan of natural peanut butter, and yes, it has to be natural! Regular peanut butter is full of nasty stuff like corn syrup solids, hydrogenated oils, and sugar. The ingredients should read "peanuts and salt," period. And don’t be fooled by those reduced fat varieties. These are still full of unhealthy ingredients with the added benefit of soy protein! And if you’re still worried about the fat content, natural peanut butter allows you to pour off the excess oil before you stir and refrigerate it.

Rice, Pasta, Potatoes, Yams, and Whole Grain Bread — We admit it. We put all these foods into the same category because of their carb content. These are good bodybuilding eats, but you carb sensitive types have to be careful with them.

Judging these foods strictly by their glycemic index, choose sweet potatoes (yams) over white Russet potatoes; whole wheat pasta over white pasta; and long grain brown rice over short grain or white rice (the stickier the rice, the higher the GI.) As for bread, avoid the highly processed white breads and go for multigrain dark bread. If it looks like it has wood chips baked into it, it’s good to go. Others prefer flax bread.

These foods are cool, just watch those carbs if you’re sensitive and be careful with toppings, especially with pasta and potatoes. Adding a fatty topping to a "carby" food is a recipe for rapid fat gain.

Milk and Yogurt — Milk is a two-faced monster. To some, it’s a cheap source of protein and the ultimate "weight gainer" for bony teenagers. Some old-timers even recommend drinking a gallon of whole milk per day! Suffice it to say, that would leave most of us quite fat. Much of the fat in whole milk falls in the "bad" category. Saturated fat mixed with a high sugar, high-carb food does not a healthy body make.

Also, somewhere around 10 to 20 percent of the population is lactose intolerant, meaning they can’t digest milk sugar. (There are even a few studies that show that non-whites, particularly Asians and blacks, have a much higher rate of lactose intolerance.) This can be helped some by using lactose-free milk and digestive aids. On the other hand, if you have no problems with lactose, skim milk can be a good source of protein. Still, unless you’re an extremely active teenager with the metabolism of a humming bird on ephedrine, we’d limit milk intake.

Yogurt is a better option in our opinion. It has many of the benefits of milk without most of the drawbacks. One of the really cool things about yogurt is the live active cultures it contains. Yep, we’re talking about bacteria, nice friendly bacteria that keep your digestion system running properly. (That’s why yogurt can help with both constipation and diarrhea.)

Some substances actually feed bacteria and as such, may even help you absorb all that protein you’re taking in. One in particular, called GDL, reduces bloating and gas and increases nitrogen retention. That means it’s a perfect addition to protein powders.

Sauces and Spices — Sauces and spices make the "okay" list because some are good and some are bad. On the good side you have a plethora of calorie-free pepper sauces, Worcestershire sauce, and just about every herb and spice on the shelf. Many of those fancy mustards fall into this category too, but read the labels just in case. Our suggestions: Beer ‘N Brat horseradish mustard, Cajun Sunshine hot pepper sauce, **** on the Red salsa, and McCormick herb chicken seasoning.

On the bad side is anything made with high fructose corn syrup (BBQ sauce, ketchup etc.), mayo, and most creamy salad dressings. Stick to something like fat free Miracle Whip if you must use mayo and if you just have to have some barbecue sauce on your chicken breasts, measure out one serving and spread thinly.

The Bad Stuff

We all visit the Dark Side on occasion, but if you want to be muscular and ripped, you’d better stay on the side of the Force 95% of the time. Here’s a list of foods that you’d better avoid if you want to take your shirt off in public again.

High Fat/High Carb Foods — The prototypical Western diet consists of foods that are both high in bad fats and high in carbs. In America, that diet has lead to a climbing rate of obesity and obesity-related diseases.

Now, what were we talking about again? Oh yeah, fat and carb meals. John Berardi sums it up in his Massing Eating articles: "Meals with a high carbohydrate content in combination with high-fat meals can actually promote a synergistic insulin release when compared to the two alone. High fat with high-carb meals represent the worst possible case scenario. ….you’ll promote high blood levels of fats, carbs, and insulin."

What foods are the real bad boys here? Unfortunately, most of the really tasty ones! Except for a rare treat, it’s best to avoid fried foods, pizza, lasagna, pancakes, whole milk, ice cream, cookies, hamburgers, most Mexican food, most Chinese food, and a bunch of other delicious stuff. But you already knew that.

Our coveted "Most Evil Food Known to Man" award goes to the lowly glazed donut, who just barely beats out French fries and fettuccini alfredo.

Fruit Juice and Non-Diet Sodas — Repeat after us: fruit good, fruit juice bad. Cy "Mr. Big Britches" Willson sums it up best:

"Processed fruit juice is worthless in my opinion. Before I would’ve said to use it as a post-workout source of carbs, but with Biotest Surge, that isn't necessary and besides, it’s less efficient. Also, with whole fruit, you get so much more: more fiber, more phytochemicals (way more), more nutrients, etc. Plus, whole fruit is more filling.

"Fruit juice is an easy way to over-consume calories and increase body fat. Now remember, I'm talking about fruit juice concentrate. The processing is what reduces the amount of these special phytochemicals and other compounds. If you're going to consume juice, then you should make it yourself."

We also have a real problem with soft drinks, which Americans consume more of than water. Face it, Cokes are liquid candy and they’re designed especially to make you more thirsty. Add a little caffeine to get you addicted and help dehydrate you, and you have legal crack. Okay, we’re exaggerating just a bit, but we think excessive intake of soft drinks is in the same class as cigarettes when it comes to the destruction of your health and physique. Soda is the epitome of the empty calorie and void of anything your body needs. Okay, rant over.

What about diet sodas, you say? Well, we’d still rather see people drinking exactly what the body needs and wants — water — but diet sodas are okay if you don’t mind the artificial sweeteners and sodium. (And despite some of the internet rumors and media hype, both are fine if used in human quantities.)

Candy — Oh, come on! You know you’re not supposed to be eating candy, right?

Flavored Oatmeal — Go to your pantry right now and get out your oatmeal. If you took out a colorful box full of little kiddy packets of peaches ‘n cream oatmeal, do yourself a favor and kick that --- to the curb! As stated above, we think oatmeal is one the best carb sources for bodybuilders, but the flavored, prepackaged variety sucks.

Look at the ingredients, which are listed in order of quantity. Sugar is usually the second ingredient in these girly oatmeal packets. Then you have other crap like salt, hydrogenated vegetable oils, maltodextrin, and partially hydrogenated soybean oil.

To top it off, the oats used in flavored oatmeal are usually more finely ground than healthy, old fashioned oatmeal. This means the GI could be higher based on the extra processing. The list of ugly ingredients goes on and varies a little with flavoring, but the lesson is simple: don’t eat this stuff if you want to look good nekid.

White Bread, Bagels and Rice Cakes — It’s hard to believe, but back in the 80s and early 90s, diet "experts" told people to eat as much of this stuff as they wanted. Since rice cakes are fat free, you can’t get fat, right? Wrong! Now the country is full of overweight diabetics. Coincidence? I don’t think so!

One representative of the Glycemic Research Institute even stated that eating a plain rice cake stimulated fat storage like ten bowls of sugar. Bagels aren’t quite as bad but are best avoided. Don’t fool yourself into thinking you’re eating healthy by consuming these things.

Most Breakfast Cereals — To us, cold breakfast cereals, even many of the brands touted as "healthy," are pure physique killers. Cereal is breakfast candy, nothing more, nothing less. In fact, corn flakes have a GI rating even worse than white bread! And how about these cereals that give you "energy", like Grape Nuts? Yep, at 47 carbs per teeny tiny serving (and what bodybuilder would eat one serving anyway?), most people would be in an insulin-induced coma by lunch.

All that said, there are a couple of good cereals out there, but not many. All Bran and Fiber One make decent oatmeal replacements, just eat some protein with them. All Bran Extra Fiber only has 50 calories a serving and 13 grams of fiber, almost four times as much as oatmeal!

Some "Fat Free" Snacks — Food manufacturers discovered a great trick back in the 80’s to fool people into buying their junk food. Since all fat was dubbed evil, food makers started abusing the "fat free" label. Basically, they took out the fat, added whopping amounts of sugar and called their products "healthy." Makers of snack foods are the worst culprits, with some even trying to sell fat free cookies, chocolate syrup, and solid sugar hard candies as health food simply because they have little or no fat. News flash: Sugar is the real enemy, not fat!

Alcohol — As connoisseurs of fine beers, we hate to see this one make the bad list. But let’s face the music, alcohol has a lot of empty calories and can inhibit fat loss.

Hey, have a beer or two once a week, but if you really care about what you look like and your overall progress in the gym, don’t drink to excess.

Soy protein — We won’t even try to do a better job than TC or Cy Willson when it comes to this topic. Read these two articles: Bad Protein and The Evils of Soy.

Conclusion

Weight training and proper dieting don’t have to be as complicated as we sometimes make them. Lift, eat, rest, use supps when necessary to get you there quicker, and repeat. It’s that simple. Hopeful this article helps with the eating part.

Now go get your grub on!
That pretty much sums it up IMO!
Old 01-10-2003, 01:19 PM   #64  

Smile

well !! i must say that the last few posts have been incredibly informative and i wanted to thank you for taking the time to post them!!!

that's why these types of forums are so helpful..... to keep us straight on the basic stuff !!!

i'm glad that i've been on the good side of the list at least 95% of the time since i started this lifestyle back in september !!!

life is grand !!!

adriana

Last edited by adriana; 01-10-2003 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:25 PM   #65  

hi everyone

i am starting body for life again as soon as my book comes in at the library. i was on it before and i had good sucess i just couldn't stick with it. but i'm going to try again. i have recently became a vegetarian and i think that the plan will be much easier to follow now. i really like this forum there's a lot of info and tips. i hope that some of you who have been on this a while can give me some tips and ideas.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:07 PM   #66  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Karen: EXCELLANT post mate! That really sums up a LOT of information.

want to be a loser: be careful to get not only enough but enough of COMPLETE proteins in your diet. Over at lean and strong there are a few vegetarians so you could go there for advice. I was vegetarian for about 8 years (teenage phase) and I must say that I love meat now.

It's saturday here and I just had a yummy breakfast and a cup of coffee. I have a tonne of housework to do but I am going to try and 'be around' as much since I missed out a lot during the week at lean and strong (some interface thing with my computer at work )

JC
Old 01-10-2003, 06:13 PM   #67  

kool,
Msjim thanks for the information.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:23 PM   #68  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Lana

It looks like you got the recipe off L&S. How did it turn out?

JC
Old 01-10-2003, 08:02 PM   #69  
Ilene the Bean

JEC -- I didn't do the recipe I went shopping instead when the pizza was delivered...MUCH better compromise don't you think , I ate before leaving and later when I got home... and it didn't bother me one darn bit...

Karen --- Positively THE best bodybuilding in a nutshell article I've read in a long time...I think you should post it and the authorised food list, along with the foods you mentioned, in the "Sticky: Basic Body for Life Information" thread.... It would enlighten the newbies quite a bit.......

wanttobebuff -- Karen knows what she speaks of .... have you checked out her site?

Ledom -- Where are youooooooo?!?!?!

Free day tomorrow .....hee haw!!! We're going skiing, I's gots new boots, I'm set....

Welcome Want to be a loser....

Adriane -- I agree : "life is grand"

I feel great I've had 9 squeeky clean days in a row along with great workouts.... What more could I ask for, I'm very pleased with myself...

Hope everyone has a great weekend....take care....

Last edited by Lanaii1; 01-10-2003 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:09 PM   #70  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Much better option!!! Enjoy the skiing....... (I so hate you.....)

JC
Old 01-10-2003, 08:57 PM   #71  
Ilene the Bean

Talking

JEC -- you're such a .... ...

ME ----> .... ......

YOU ---->

Old 01-11-2003, 03:23 AM   #72  

Wink Lana!!

just wanted to wish you a fantastic time this weekend skiing!!!

be careful on the slopes

also, that's sooooooo fantastic about the 9 days of clean!!! great!!! doesn't it feel sooooooo good to do that for yourself???

have fun

adriana
Old 01-11-2003, 11:10 AM   #73  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Hey Lana,

thanks for asking. I'm still here, lurking everyday. I have been spending so much time on the internet lately reading about bfl, but not posting much. I know I spend way too much time in front of this computer! Hey, have fun on the slopes!

This past week was really warm so I got out in the kayak a couple of days, no sking in Arkansas! The lake has just been gorgeous though.

Spent a goodly amount of time in a dressing room trying on clothes yesterday afternoon. That is one time when I really kind of get a read on my shape and how it is changing. Found some good sales. I am straddling size 18 and 20. I bought one thing in an 18 and one thing in a 20. The 20 is really loose, but I really wanted that particular thing to fit loose. The 18 in that outfit did fit, hope I made the right decision there.

One thing I didn't talk about after my trip at Christmas but that was some interesting feedback and made me think of my weight history. I spent my late 30's and early 40's in grad school. During that time I really put on a lot of weight. Commuting, raising a kid, working, you know the story - no time for me. Since the mid 90's I have lost about 50 lbs. BUT, this has been a slow loss w/ a few regains interspersed. It has been so gradual that I really had lost track at how much I have changed. Apparently a lot, my cousins who had not seen me in a few years, to a one commented on how much weight I'd lost. It really took me by surprise. So there has been progress. I also wondered at my 16 1/2 lb. loss in my first challenge. Nothing to sneeze at and I am happy w/ it though hearing about those 25 lb. losses that some of you have had made me start to second guess how well I was understanding the diet. Now I think it is, in part, because I have been at it a while - therefore not losing as fast. So there are my thoughts on where I am now.

I started challenge 2 on a weird day, a Tues. so I am almost through week 2 of challenge 2. I still take Sat. as a freeday. The schedule isn't quite as "symmetrical" as when my week ended on a Friday but I am doing well and have been able to get right back into the swing of things and am making progress, be it still losing the few lbs. I picked up over free week and a half. I know I'll do a better free week next time!
Old 01-11-2003, 01:18 PM   #74  

Talking What a prolific bunch!

WOW! It's so hard to keep up with you guys. Sheesh, take a day off from reading and I'm buried!

I wanted to say that Karen you are spot on with that article! Great read. I also have a question for ya. Now, I know the palm/fist method of BFL. But the other school of thought is (and correct me if I'm wrong here) 1g of protein per # of body weight. Is that the method you use? I know you're not doing BFL right now. So, I guess it depends on your goals (fat loss/muscle gain) I want/need to lose fat & gain muscle, therefore am doing BFL. He just needs to gain muscle. Are ya waitng for my question! I guess it's "What's the difference?" Is one method better for muscle gain vs fat loss? Is that clear as mud?

Also, my husband joined my gym yesterday so he could workout with me. Now, big stinkin' deal you might think! HA! Well, he hates gyms, and would rather WO at home. "If it's more than 4 min from the house, forget it!" But, he has 2 reasons. 1 is my health (newly diagnosed w/ Type II ) and 2, he has gained 10 # in the last few months and it's freakin him out! He's always been the star athlete and Mr. 6% BF without doing anything but breathing to achieve it! We're going when he gets off duty!

I hope you all are doing well!
Old 01-11-2003, 01:54 PM   #75  

Angry LAST WORKOUT

Hey everyone

I can't believe.....today was my last work out for my first Challenge....OMG!!! very exciting....i can't believe it!

I am pretty excited to be done...honestly...the last 2 weeks has been super tough for me...tons of stress......but i still did it...

one_sweetchick
Closed Thread