Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #151  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Happy Hump Day, LWL!

OK, so it isn't really Wednesday yet. But, it is Day 4 of my self-imposed "no excuses" challenge of clean eating. Day 4 is often one of the toughest for me: the initial burst of enthusiasm is fading and The Boy's box of Triscuits starts to look mighty enticing. Once I make it through Day 4, though, I gain a second wind that carries me through for quite a while.

I'm in fat loss mode, not maintenance mode, so "clean eating" also means "reduced calories." After 3 days of this -- and undoubtedly a lot of lost water weight -- I'm back down to my ticker weight. The last and hardest 5 lbs are still located somewhere in the general vicinity of my backside.

I've been reading the thread on 100 pushups. I'm usually skeptical about single-exercise programs, but this one sounds reasonably fun. Well, maybe fun isn't the right word. Anywho, I'm not starting it today: yesterday's shoulder workout included elevated pushups (feet elevated by about 4, um, feet, with the hope of eventually being able to do handstand pushups). This morning I had to ask DH to help me hook my bra. (Which he did, after about 10 minutes of giggling. Better 10 minutes of giggling than 10 hours of jiggling.)

Be strong,
Kim
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:45 AM   #152  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaw View Post
Better 10 minutes of giggling than 10 hours of jiggling

Be strong,
Kim

Wiser words have never been spoken.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #153  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Fran - I'm thinking about the BFL eating plan but, to be honest, I don't think I have it in me to do it by myself. I'll propose it to DH but I'm not sure if we're quite there right now? You know what I mean? I have a feeling that you'll see great results!!

I did a pretty nice UB workout yesterday and the food is pretty on track. One day, maybe even one meal, at a time!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #154  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
Oh so true! But I keep thinking, you know what, 12 weeks is going to come and go whether i'm on a good plan or not. So I should just do it, kwim?
12 weeks from this upcoming Sunday is Easter, I think.

What's the plan?

I don't have the BFL book, per se, but I would be up for a 12 week challenge of super clean eats, challenging cardio, and heavy lifting.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

No need for the book, as it's all online now as well. bodyforlie.com

Yes, I saw that it got me thru tax day and easter. that's good - usually alot of people eating healthy during that time of lent. there will be support.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:28 PM   #156  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Fran, I'd be up for a 12 wk challenge, but I don't want to follow BFL exactly, since I've found a good workout and eats schedule that's working for me. I'm willing to report in and keep it OP, though, and I am already doing an upper/lower split, so is that close enough to join you for the 12 weeks?
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #157  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Thanks for the online option Fran. I guess if I followed the BFL plan I could quit asking for advice on my DIY program. Although their listed exercises seems limiting.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:03 PM   #158  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
Fran, I'd be up for a 12 wk challenge, but I don't want to follow BFL exactly, since I've found a good workout and eats schedule that's working for me. I'm willing to report in and keep it OP, though, and I am already doing an upper/lower split, so is that close enough to join you for the 12 weeks?
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixied View Post
Thanks for the online option Fran. I guess if I followed the BFL plan I could quit asking for advice on my DIY program. Although their listed exercises seems limiting.
Really? How so. Maybe you should get the book again. You can do any type of cardio you want, they just give you the formula for the HIIT. And for weight lifting, that's a pretty standard menu to choose from. Ask more questions so we can help you sort thru it.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #159  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Dixie, those are just some basic options to give people an idea of what to do. If you have some other exercises you prefer, as long as you're working all the right parts for the day, it's all good!

Fran, okay, I'm in, then. Lemme know when it starts, and if you're doing so on another thread. Midwife, you in?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #160  

OK, it's this Sunday. Hadn't planned to start another thread, just update in here, but.... that was also when I was alone!
Old 01-20-2009, 06:21 PM   #161  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

I had downloaded a sheet that listed a few exercises for each muscle group, but I needed to look at the blank one instead. That probably didn't make sense, here's the blank sheet I finally found: http://bodyforlife.com/exercise/down...bfl_charts.pdf

Okay, If I'm not limited to the exercises on the first sheet I download from their site, I'm in. Guess that takes care of my set-rep question, my shoulder question, and the trap/forearm question. Good. That's what I call a productive day, almost time to go home and actually lift something.

Wait, I have more BFL questions...

Is anyone actually going to fill out the challenge papers, take before and after pictures, etc? I don't think I'll actually be entering a round, unless we all do it, but before and after pictures would be a good idea.

I think that's it, for now at least.
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #162  

I'm not going to enter and submit, but yes, I will take measurements and photos. We don't have to post them here, but those who are interested can pm them around to others. Or you can post them here if you have a really good story to share!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #163  
Master of disaster

S/C/G: 269/ticker/160

Height: 5'6"

This is awesome!!!!! Let's get pictures and measurements ready. As far as I'm concerned, anybody with any plan is welcome! The point is to work consistently toward your goal. I'd like to lose 40 pounds (HA!) in the next 12 weeks.

I know what you mean, Sportmom, I haven't found a lot of people our size.... How cool - we're breaking new ground!

Come one, come all - I need all the support I can get - how about you??

Last edited by michelle127; 01-20-2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: sad spelling errors :(
michelle127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:36 PM   #164  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Oh Geez Fran. Now you started something. Okay. I'm in. I really have been struggling with food the last two weeks. It's been a slow migration away from what I know works and what I'm willing to do. I think I'm a little panicked over the upcoming changes to my gym membership that has me throwing caution to the wind over here. ~sigh~ I'm in. Even though I've done this before, I just really think the first few weeks are going to be a struggle for me so hang in there with me.

What is causing me to do this. The idea that many of us are going to do this. Twelve weeks is a long time but at the end of it I know the results will be astounding. I really would like for all of us to complete this with results we can be proud of for ourselves and for each other. I'm going to take measurements and photos. I'm only going to post the before photos if I can truly see a difference between the two pics. I'll officially begin on Sunday as you suggested but I'm prepping now so that I can get over this crazy carb thing I've got going on.

Grrrrrrr. This is the final push for me to get over the gain and lose cycle over and over again. Thanks Fran, Cheryl, Dixied and Michelle.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #165  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Lydia, I'm also joining to help me keep it OP. I've been doing well with food and water, but haven't been following my exercise plan consistently. I'd like to make it through the 12 weeks without missing any workouts due to poor planning or letting "life" get in the way. I'll take measurements and pics, too, since all the cool kids are doin' it!

Totally got distracted there, lol. Originally stopped in to report that I finally got my workout in today. Did a make-up of yesterday's missed LB workout, my usual UB workout, then some easy jogging for 20 mins or so cuz I was listening to a book on tape.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 01-21-2009 at 12:13 AM.