Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2002, 11:12 AM   #1  

Default Body for Life # 53

Welcome to Body for Life number 53

Basic Body for Life Information

Must Have: Body for Life book by Bill Phillips

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details): six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist (carbs) palm (protein) method of measurement. 2 meals a day add green veggies. 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes. Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex Lite by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast [which is all sugar!]) or use Protein Powder and add carbs such as fruit. If you shop at www.netrition.com the page for each product will list carbs/proteins/fats/sugars. check the labels carefully! If you like to add carbs, go for a low carb but keep your protein/carb grams in mind. Some of the protein shakes have protein grams as high as 42 and this is usually too much for one BFL meal for any woman so split these in 2 and add carbs.

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Essential Oils: Recommended. Udos is the most recommended.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 45-60 minutes intense weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days. 20 minutes intense cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Results: AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2002, 11:23 AM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default SUSAN!!!!

Man! We must have been posting at the same time!!

How's lawschool going?
Old 04-28-2002, 02:49 PM   #3  
Natural Health Educator

I have a question...has anyone tried Optimum Nutrition's 100% natural whey protien? It is sweetened with stevia and fructose. I know it has 5g of carb versus 1.5 for the one with artificial sweetener, but I cant have aspartame, asulfamine potassium, etc. (No artificial sweeteners.) The brand I asked about was the only one I saw that seemed to be semi low on teh sugar/carbs but without anything artificial. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I guess i could go for an EAS Myoplex (regular not lite) and have it without an added carb, but sometimes an apple or something is nice. Let me know what you think...thanks.

MrsJim: about my kitty, he is worse this week, but to be honest he is always biting my ankles. It is like he thinks they are toys. he does the same thing with my shoes....Maybe my feet smell like a predator? LOL. I think he just has a foot fetish or something!

Well, today was free day and I got to eat a piece or two of this coffee flavored cake I made yesterday. (I can't believe i didn't sneak anything last night!) But, overall I don't feel too bad having done it. It tasted good, and I reminded myself that this treat is a prize for the hard work I put in all week. And, another question, on our free days, (THis wasn't answered in the book,) do we still need to eat the extra protein? I got to eat steamed pumpkin and hummus and tortillas with my veggies at lunch, so i really didn't have room for any more in the meal. I love carbs, but try to keep them at leat semi whole ones. but since i had so many for lunch, i was full. should I eat a lot of protein tonight? or, do i just try and stay to 1.6 or so of my BMR and let it go at that? Thanks in advance....
=^..^=
Old 04-29-2002, 03:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Default optimum nutrition whey powder

Hi there - I use Optimum Nutrition whey powder for my protein shakes (blend with a banana, 50/50 milk & water and ice). It is really yummy and cheap too. It has 22gms protein and 3gms total carbs which includes 1gm sugars in each serve. I could not see the ingrediants you mentioned on the ingrediant list, oh wait - is this it?... Acesulfame Potassium. Its the last ingrediant listed. Why are you not able to have those things? Just curious cos I eat anything.

I'm having a VERY free week, but happy to see that some of those habits are truly ingrained. I absolutely have to have my protein now, and i need the six meals a day. my portions are WAY smaller than they used to be before BFL, and I'm hanging out to get to the gym. can't wait to pump some iron, I'm missing my bench press.

anyway, supposed to be working. catch you all later
Carly
p.s. put some jeans on layby today, and had to go out of the changing room to get a smaller size! I love that!
Old 04-29-2002, 04:12 PM   #5  

Default Disappointing Results!

Hi Everyone and welcome to the new ladies. You are gonna love it here.

Carps - you did a fantastic job! You must be sooo proud of yourself.

I really missed this board while I was away. I left home on Thurs. very disappointed after taking my measurements - in fact I was teary through most of my LBWO and it wasn't much of one anyway. I completed my final 2 cardios while away and stuck to my eating. So I did complete the 12 weeks and I am pleased about that. I only missed one cardio workout in the 12 weeks and was able to workout every single morning. I'd say that I stuck to the eating approximately 90% of the time. I fully intend on doing a 2nd challenge, but I can't for the life of me figure out why I didn't do better this time around. Even my husband was shocked because he witnessed first hand how hard I've been working.

It was my TOM when I took my measurements but that can't account for much. If you remember at 6 weeks I had lost 7 lbs and 3.5 inches - Well after 12 weeks I lost 1.5 lbs (actually gained back 5.5 lbs!) and 5.5 inches. Visually, my husband can see changes and so can everyone else around me - infact I got a compliment at the hotel gym while I was away on my calf muscles! I did takes final pictures (which I will not be posting) but I don't have anything to compare as my before pics did not turn out.

I can understand the scale weight - maybe - but I have soooo much weight to lose you would think it would have moved alot more than it did - and in the other direction! Even my inches don't really say much compared to alot of other transformation results I see. Heck - my neighbour started Curves one month ago and she lost 5.5 lbs and 10 inches!!!!

Like I said - I intend on doing another challenge but I am just at a loss for what to think. I don't even want to post my results on L&S because I can just see the rolling of the eyeballs (maybe even some on here) but I assure you I did my best and worked hard! I need to take this week to look at the psychological gains I guess which was more important to me initially - but gee whiz it would have been nice to see something a little more substantial. I'm going to try and stay in touch because I don't want to eat my way through free week! I was sooo excited when I woke up Thursday to take my results - but my balloon quickly burst and I'm trying to get it pumped up again.

As always, thanks for listening ladies.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:26 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thunderheart - I feel so bad for you

But...instead of focusing on what DIDN'T happen, focus on what DID happen. Did you build muscle mass? Do you feel better, more ALIVE, healthier? Sit down and write all the positive things you've experienced in the last 12 weeks.

Then...start planning for C2! I'm willing to bet that you gained a ton of muscle mass during C1...now C2 you'll be burning off bodyfat...IF you plan correctly.

During your free week, try not to go nutso in the eating department. I did that in my first free week when Jim and I went to Yosemite - we were outdoors biking, hiking, rafting but we still put away the grub big time. A few treats are okay, but an all-week binge you want to avoid. During my free weeks, I strive to eat clean but allow myself a treat once a day.

And I do think that if/when you feel up to it, you should post to L&S...most everyone, I know, will be sympathetic and offer advice for your upcoming challenge and SUPPORT big time. Between 3FC and L&S you'll have dozens of folks in your corner!

Meow/Carps - I know that there are several people at L&S who use Optimum Nutrition. My favorite protein powder so far is MetRx Protein Plus. It's nice and thick like Myo Lite. I don't know what's up with your kitty - they can be rather odd sometimes...

Susanje - hope all is well with you! We miss ya here!

Well as for me, I've been sooo tired lately. I realized that since January 21st, I've been hitting the gym 7 days a week without a day off except for the day we flew back from Miami...and today I got my finger caught between a dumbbell and the rack when I was putting it back - so I have a big ol' blood blister on my middle finger. What I'm going to do is take the next couple of mornings off from the gym - I want to watch Frontier House on PBS - it starts tonight at 9 and runs until 11. So that's a good excuse to take a couple of rest days from the gym. I'm still going to be eating clean though - no excuses there! Take care everyone!
Old 04-29-2002, 10:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Default Hi everyone!

Haven't been here for a while -- it's good to be back. My husband and I have been on BFL since August 2001, and are starting week 4 of our current challenge (#3 or 4, depending on how you count). Eating and exercise are going fine, and this is becoming very much a way of life. Still working on not going overboard on free day and free week, though.

Thunderheart -- it's frustrating when some of the measures of success (like scale weight) don't show our progress -- but it sounds like the most important ones, how you feel and how you look, ARE improving. For some of us, me included, progress is just slow. Partway through each challenge, I come to the realization that it will take yet a few more challenges to get where I want.

And the progress that exists is just not measured well by the scale -- I haven't lost any scale weight in a few months. Sometimes when people at the gym compliment me and ask how much I've lost, I start out with "not much on the scale, but fat loss and muscle gain." Today, though, I finally told a woman "about 40 pounds all together" -- most of it was on Atkins, with accompanying muscle loss and before I even went to the gym -- but those were numbers she could relate to. Oh, well!

Anyhow, BFL really is a great way to become healthy and in good shape, so keep giving it a try. Hope you are all doing great!

Carrie
Old 04-30-2002, 09:39 AM   #8  
Mel

Default Hi everyone

Thought i'd check in and say hi- it's been a very busy couple of days since last week, but I'm still going strong and workouts and eating. I drove out to Columbus last Friday to watch daughter's last big lacrosse game of the season (they won, yeah!) and spent 10 1/2 hours getting there instead of the usual 7 1/2 because of a horrendous truck accident on the PA turnpike. Had a big cooler full of meals for 2 days, so that turnpike food didn't get me. One planning tip I overlooked: peel your hardboiled eggs and chuck the yolks before you pack 'em! Real hard to do while driving, then you've got a pile of egg yolks to stare at and smell til the next pit stop. Yuck Managed a rather bizarre hotel room workout Saturday morning, then hopped back in the car for 7 1/2 hours home. When I got home, all I wanted to do was go for a long hard run. My dog was delighted, so off we went for some extra unauthorized cardio, but boy did it feel good after all those hours in the car.

thunder- Sorry to hear how distressed you were about your c1 results. I hope some of that has faded and was the result of TOM speaking. I can totally relate- I too measure success on the scale and no matter what everyone yells at me, that's just too ingrained to shake. I lost a total of 2 pounds on C1. By the scale. But what MrsJim or carrie said is so true- make a list of all the good things that happened, and your c1 will look like a success. First off- YOU DID IT! How many people can say that? setting that goal and achieving it is a huge accomplishment which you should be proud of.

I played tennis yesterday for the first time in weeks, and have aches and pains I did not expect! Bicep hurts like H**l and today is arms day. May need to switch my routine a bit. I don't know whether I hurt is lifting last week and tennis aggravated it, or what, but lifting my coffee cup hurt. Don't think I'll be curling any 30 pounders today.

Hello to all,

mel
Old 04-30-2002, 01:17 PM   #9  
Natural Health Educator

checking in at midweek of C2W2... I am feeling really great but honestly, I can understand the TOM affects thunderheart! I took hussman's advice, tossed the scale and go based on my measurements, and as it turns out based on my slightly "off" kilter hormones, my TOM Always seems to fall on measurment week...without fail. So, I know how that period of time can affect my numbers...

carps: In reference to why I don't eat or take artificial sweeteners: It is a long story but to put it succinctly, I used to manage a health food store and was in that industry for a while. While there my hubby and I commited to eating organic and pesticide/filler/etc free as a means of cleaning out our systems. So, I do my best. The artificial flavors and colors tend to upset my system anyway, (I have PCOS, a metabolic disorder that affects blood sugar, hormones, weight, etc and raises the chances for varios cancers) so I do my best not to help my body head for that direction..That is one of the main reasons i really appreciate the body builder's lifestyle. Clean eating and lots of intense heart healthy exersize...

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice on the protein q's...right now I am off to a plate of fish, steamed cabbage and brown rice. Yummy.

=^..^=
ps. I took photos but can't upload them from the camera since there is something wrong with the cable. I will hang on to them of course and hopefully someday get this thing a ma jig working.
Old 05-01-2002, 12:17 PM   #10  

Default Thank You Ladies!

I'm BACKKKKK! And I'm comin back fightin! Thank you all so much for your support. I took your advice MrsJim/Mel and went back and reviewed my goals and one of the main ones was just to finish this program. I think I had some residual hormones from TOM speaking when I posted.

I have posted more results on L&S so I won't go into detail here again because I know most of us visit there too. I know that I have changed as a person from this program and 3FC and L&S. I'm a fighter and I won't give up - like I said over there I WON'T BE DENIED!

I agree with you MrsJim - I know that I have built up muscle - I just have to concentrate more on fat loss for it to show. I haven't been able to eat junk during free week. I am allowing myself what I am craving - which isn't much other than oatmeal and cottage cheese - can you believe that? Basically bagels and cream cheese in the morning is satisfying me ( I know the B word) but I am on free week!

Any suggestions to tweak the program for fat loss? or should I just continue another round?

Once again - thank you my BFL sisters!
Old 05-01-2002, 02:23 PM   #11  
Natural Health Educator

Good afternoon ladies, from the land of the siesta, I say forget the siesta, I am going for a walk in the sun! I was thinking about how everything closes down here well, nearly everything, for two hours in the afternoon. We call it siesta, they call it "lunch time." I was imagining all the things one could get accomplished if they had a 2 hour lunch break in the states....anyway, I took the time to walk the 25 minutes up to the local fruit and vegetable market to see what was there, in hopes that I could buy a few carrots. For some reason I was craving them. No luck. I will have to wait till tomorrow at the grocery store. Imagine if you will no car, and having to either walk or take the bus to get where you need. well, that is me. and unlike before BFL, I seem to have the energy to do it! A few months back I would have scoffed if my neighbor came over and asked if I would walk during noonday sun. (It is like 95 here these days.) But now, I not only went with her, it was me who came up with the idea!

I had a great UBWO this morning, man, do I ever feel those tricep dips. I used to do them a lot, but never following 5 sets of extentions! Wow, what a workout. I wonder sometimes just how I might have been had I got involved with this three and a half years ago when I originally saw the book. I am just so glad that I am into it now.

In reference to the question about tweaking for fat loss, I would say from what I have read in the numerous Muscle Media back issues I have borrowed from my friend, (I hit the jackpot...my friends husband not only had the book down here, but over three years of back issues!) is that the best thing to do is to follow the program as is. However, Bill did mention the use of EAS Phen Free as a means of accelerating fat loss. Also, it seems that there are quite a few athletes that complete the 3 day HIIT requirement, but also ingage in other moderate intensity cardio workouts on other days of the week. --I think, and this is from my own experience, one needs to be careful not to overtrain so as to prevent burnout and injury. HOwever, I too am also training for a running race, so I do like 45 minutes of moderate intensity jogging on my free day, as well as adding 10 minutes to my warm up OR cool down on the HIIT days. (total of 4 days cardio, three at 30minutes, one at a bit more.) THis I read about on hussman's site. I feel like the fat is melting a bit faster, and I can see some of the muscles through it. However, anytime I feel overwhelmed or TOO intense with the extra cardio, I drop down to a walk. here where I live, like I said earlier, my life requires a lot of activity anyway, so the extra cardio is something I am used to. I am aware that if I don't keep up the nutrition side of the program however, I will see less growth, and possibly even loss of muscle. That is definatly not my goal. I am sure MrsJim and the others can explain it better, but from where I am sittting, I see that I need to listen to my body. I lay down in bed, go to sleep and wake up feeling like I could reach the stars. So I get up and go for a jog in the moring. I just refrain from doubling up my workouts so that everything can have its rest....

Well, I am off for more activity. I get to chop up my ayama squash. (Imagine cutting, slicing and peeling a pumpkin.

=^..^=
Ps. I found a gerat site that was listed in the links at L&S. IT has a lot of valuable info on it. http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html
Old 05-01-2002, 06:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 250/239/150

Height: 5'6

Unhappy ISP PRoblems

hi there, jsut popped round to my mums to let you know I'm having Internet problems, so won't be around much for the next few days.
Thunderheart: You keep going girl! I remember you saying your main goal was to just complete the 12 weeks, and that you have done, and passed with flying colours too! I'm reminded of that ARetha Franklin song "We are family" in the second verse it says "Have faith in you and the things you do, you wont go wrong..." If you persist you will see the results you are looking for.

I am kindo f enjoying free week, although hubby and I are both looking forward to getting back to the structure of BFL, and my favourite meal even this week is still baked potato with CC & chives.

well must go, I'm going to buy a starbucks caramel machiato and some sushi - weird combination I know, but they are my two favourite things.

see ya later
CArly
Old 05-01-2002, 07:39 PM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Talking Hi everyone!

Thunderheart - saw your post and the responses at L&S...You go girl! I agree with the consensus that the BIG BODYFAT LOSS is just around the bend for you...you've got the fire, just hold on to it...

As I stated on my previous post, I took yesterday and today off from the gym - I was going to watch Frontier House but darn it if I can't stay up that late - managed to watch the first hour of the first show though. Fortunately we have two PBS stations in my area - and the show is going to air again on the next three Mondays starting at the MOST reasonable hour of 7 pm. I think, though, that I really needed a little break from the gym after all these weeks of not missing a workout. Can't wait to hit the gym tomorrow! Yee Haw!

Carly - baked potato with cottage cheese sounds sooo yummy right now! Mmmm...

Meow - great to hear from ya - I would stay away from the Phen Free though, especially if you're using birth control pills. The St. John's Wort in the Phen Free can reduce the pills' effectiveness. Just a word o'warning...

As for leisure cardio, go ahead and do it - just don't get intense (hit 10's). I don't believe it was Bill Phillips' intention to have us do the 20 MAS 3 days a week and then just lie about waiting for the next workout. Go out and enjoy - stuff like bike riding, horseback riding, jogging, walking the dog, Rollerblading...whatever floats your boat! We are all athletes here in pursuit of better health - both mentally and physically.

Well, gotta run and take care of some work stuff. Later all!
Old 05-02-2002, 01:49 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down Good Morning!

Man! Y'all are being so quiet lately...let's hear from ya!

It was so GREAT going to back to the gym after 2 days off...I know I needed the little break but I really missed it - my time to myself...as a result I had a SUPER workout - chest/triceps today.

I took the day off work tomorrow - haven't taken any time off work in eons - so I'm going to do some cardio in the AM as usual, then go back later in the day (while everyone is at work) and spend some quality time at the SQUAT RACK. I'm taking a huge chance since I don't know how crowded it gets at 10:30 in the morning at the gym...I'm betting that everyone is at work except for the stay at home moms, who probably don't go NEAR the squat rack...we'll see.

I might do a Spinning class as well - haven't been in ages - and take my niece and nephew to see the new Spider-Man movie later on (after they get out of school that is).

Okay! So how's everyone doing this fine Thursday???
Old 05-02-2002, 05:27 PM   #15  
Natural Health Educator

Default thursday....

It is thursday evening, and I have had quite a day. One quesstion ladies, has anyone tried rebounding? I borrowed a rebounder, a small trampoline like device from my neighbor. I was having a bit of knee pain again, and thought I would try a new form of cardio. I did some research, and across the board, I have seen that using the rebounder CAN burn lots of calories, but only if you take it up to a high intensity. (THe normal small bounce only burns 150 calories an hour, but the running/sprinting can burn over 700 and higher. So they say...) anyway, I can tell you that after doing my HIIT on the thingamajig this morning, it really went well. No impact on my knee that irritated it...I was sweating up a storm, and DH wondered what the bouncing sound in the living room was...anyway, just curious what anyone thoughts are on the thing. It is a bit like doing jumping jacks, only you don't slam down. I really did go pretty fast, I tried to imagine that scene in Flashdance where jennifer Beals dances to Maniac...I think that is what my cat was thinking when he was watching me. ...He kept trying to leap at the thing.

I wanted to say that I am not taking Phen Free, I guess I misstated that in the post. I meant that I had read an article in which Bill Phillips suggested it as an option. I personally like to have a cup or two of coffee to get me going, and couldn't deal with an added dose of ephedra, or the ingredients of phen freewhich include things like garcinia cambogia. I do know some people who like it, but I get scared of that rush like spacy feeling I get. Sometimes I dream that the fat will melt quicker, but I am a firm believer in doing this the natural way...the muscles I am building will do it on thier own! Yahoo!
=^..^=
~caio~
Closed Thread