Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:53 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

True... true. I'm not saying you should never use a pad. I'm saying that my trainers (all 3 of them) have told me that you're better off NOT using a pad than using one. But this is another YMMV type of thing.

I'm just passing along what I've been taught.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:15 PM   #17  
Mel

One of the first things I was taught when I started lifting heavy was how to bail out from under a squat bar without getting hurt. It's something that I teach anyone who squats with an Olympic bar. I've never actually had to do it, but learning how and practicing so you aren't scared to make a loud noise may save you from injury.
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 196/196/185

Height: 5'3"

How do you bail out from an Olympic bar during a squat Mel? I would be very interested in knowing about this please. I am going to take a look through my books here, and see if there is anything on this. I never thought of possibly needing to bail out sometime, and how to handle it.
theloula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #19  

wow... how long did it take to work up to that amount of weight?

I just started with some 5# weights, and its kicking my butt! I get winded, and was so sore the next day!
bekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I'm guessing that quetion's to me and my 35#?

Not too long. My lifting routine is to do 3 sets of increasing weights with decreasing reps. So I started, about a month ago with one set of 12 reps, 3 lbs; 10 reps on 5 lbs; 8 reps on 8 lbs. Then the next time I lifted, if I felt strong at the end of the last workout and didn't have immense sore muscles afterward, I would up that to 12 of 5, 10 of 8, and 8 of 10, and keep moving up each workout like that. It didn't take me long to move up to 35 as I seemed to sail thru the lower weights. I think doing it progressively really helps you move up. You could keep doing 5's, or, you could throw in a challenge and try to eeek out 8 reps on 8 lbs. While it is 50% more it's not that difficult to move up.

Last edited by sportmom; 11-05-2008 at 08:28 AM.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 175-180/ 120-125

Height: 5'7

I only use the foam roller padding if I'm trying to increase my max squat and/or my shoulders are killin'.

Like any exercise, it IS all about form. When you put the weight over your shoulders, try to push it up a tiiiiiiny bit with your hands. You will not *actually* be pushing it up in any way, just simulating the motion. It does wonders for taking the weight off your shoulders.

Before squatting, make sure that the bar is placed EXACTLY in the center of your back (being a little off center can really hinder your progress) and positioned in a comfortable spot between your delts and shoulder blades. Trust me; there IS a comfortable spot. Sometimes, it takes awhile to find it, but it's there.

And of course, the more you challenge yourself (and the more you do it), the easier it gets. You will eventually build your "shelf" too - and I do know all this from personal experience - back in March, I could barely squat the bar. I HATED the way the weight felt on my shoulders and I pulled a muscle in my thigh from going ALLLLLLL the way down (which is unnecessary - going down to the ground is potentially dangerous depending how much weight you are using - despite the fact that some meatheads insist it is the only way). Now? My max is 315

theloula - I am not Mel, but I can answer your question. Push the weight back and push your body forward /duck/run as much as you possibly can.
NightengaleShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:33 AM   #22  
Mel

I do NOT put the bar on my shoulders- believe me, I know how to squat. I have fibromyalgia and there truly is NO bearable position for heavy squats without some padding. For years other people told me I just didn't know how to do front squats correctly either, because only an unloaded bar is bearable. There is NO PLACE on my forearms that is comfortable. One rep at about 1/10 the weight that I can normally squat is screamingly painful.

If you need a pad and are doing the exercise correctly, use it.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:00 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

The thing about bailing from any weight is that you can't be afraid of dropping the weight and making noise. If you have to bail, it's better to have the weight crash to the floor and everyone in the gym turn to look, than it is to hurt yourself.

I've never had to bail with the bar, but I've had to bail on a set of military presses once (something popped in my shoulder) and I really did just let the weights crash to the floor. It was a tad embarassing, but at least I didn't hurt myself.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote