Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #136  
Mel

Tomato, that sounds fine. I did my bfl cardio mostly on a recumbent bike. I have/had hip and knee issues and at the time couldn't run. I now do mostly elliptical, but rotate through some bike and treadmill sprints. I found that eating 6 meals and only 20 minutes of cardio 3 times per week was too much food and not enough cardio. But I'm old and very short. At 5'9", you have seven inches on me. The food may be just right for you.

This morning was a bike and treadmill sprint morning. I did 20 minutes on the bike, then 2 miles broken into 3 increasing intensity sprints. I find that if I keep the treadmill on a slight incline, it doesn't hurt my knees. Then shoulders and abs at the gym at lunch time. I had fun talking to one of the trainers that I know there sharing wacky exercises

I'll be away through Sunday. My dd is getting some life changing news on Friday at 7 am, and asked me to be there. I'm flattered that at 26 yrs old, she still wants mom!

Tiki- Great to see you again. As lydia said, late is in the eye of the beholder. If it works for you, fantastic. And given the drop in clothing size, it's working

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #137  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Mel: I hope it's good news!

Pat: This one is for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxi4_G169o0

Who knew they needed peanuts?
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #138  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Results of her bar exam? A clerking opportunity? (Sorry, I know she just graduated and I don't know what order these things are done in.)

Ugh, I'm sick. Too much tending to Lydia I guess. I feel better right now than I did at this time last nite, so tomorrow I will actually attempt to get dressed and workout. Missed cardio yesterday and lifting today. I think it all stemmed from having to be on a 6:45 am train into the city yesterday for a meeting and that meant getting up at 5 and going out in the rain, wind, and DARK. It wasn't light until I was walking into my meeting at 8:00 - ugh! Getting up early is doable, but not on spur of the moment notice when you're normally up til 11 or 11:30. That body can't just go to sleep early, you have to work up to it gradually. Well, I've allowed myself one day to be sick. Now tomorrow is back up and at 'em. Have to be 100% for Friday's festivities - a whole day spent in school volunteering. Teacher's helper in the morning and at lunch, and party helper in the afternoon.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #139  
Working My Way Back Down

Lydia. My cats are not nearly that talented.

I'm just back from swimming. I'm building back the endurance I lost during my class where I spent time learning to swim more efficiently - and I do swim better,but I'm still in the stage where I need to think about each part of the stroke (well, the crawl - I can breast stroke for hours easily) so it take more energy. Now I'm ready for some dinner (DH is out for the evening) and my book.

Fran - you'll be glad for daylight savings next week I'm guessing. I too will prefer driving to work in at least semi-daylight for a few weeks. I find that I really can't stay up past 10:30, and 10:00 is better, if I want to function normally the next day. Sounds like a full day of Halloween for you Friday.

We have Japanese students and chaperones visiting from our Sister City of Soroma, Japan. They were at the City Council meeting on Tuesday night, and today we had luncheon for the (omg - 15 pizzas!!) and then they went ice skating. Tomorrow the chaperone who works for the city there will be visiting all of our city departments - fortunately with a translator. The teen-aged girls are just like the local teen-aged girls they're with - laughing, tight jeans, etc.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #140  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Hahaha, Mel, I may be a bit taller than you (actually, I found out a couple of months after I joined 3FC that I am actually only 5' 8.5" - I was TOTALLY crushed!!! I must have converted my weight wrong when I moved to Canada (I am a metric person) and I never bothered to recalculate it. I almost cried when I found out I am 0.5" shorter than I thought I was! LOL
I may be a bit taller but I am a vintage specimen - I turned 49 in August. Guessing from the age of your daughter we are of similar age.
Hey, good luck with the important news - at 7:30 A.M. it better be good!!

I woke up at 5 am and I knew I would not go back to sleep, so I actually went to the gym to work on my BFL weight training. I won't be able to hold my cup of coffee tomorrow morning, I am sure. The gym was actually surprisingly quiet with only very few people around, especially upstairs where the weights are (the cardio section downstairs was a but busier; and there was a yoga class in progress in the studio). Upstairs, my concentration was constantly being interrupted by a dude whose cervix must have been seriously dilated and the baby must have been in breech position - at least that was my impression from the series of sounds coming from his direction. I really wished I had my camera to record the audio and post it here.

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 07:40 AM   #141  
Mel

Bar exam, Fran Bingo!
Lydia, if you weren't so sick and I weren't so terrified of getting sick, I'd come visit you!

Hitting the road...I actually got up and did cardio this morning after staying up past my bedtime to watch the Phillies win. I think 3 innings is a perfect length for a baseball game

Mel
Old 10-30-2008, 08:00 AM   #142  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Real quick I have to get the kids to school....MEL! Have a safe trip and tell your DD we all say CONGRATULATIONS!!! What an exciting moment for her and your family.

Loved to see you but your right. There is no way I'm sharing these germs with anyone. Although, I've been on drugs for four days I'm probably not infections anymore but wow, just tired. I'm thinking maybe Saturday or Sunday I might head into the gym for some light cardio and stretching. Maybe.

Fran: Hope you are feeling better soon too. Your right getting up early takes some adjustment. I'm going to have to get back to my early time soon too and I'm not ready yet. Oh and thanks for tending to me
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:16 AM   #143  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mel - maybe her life changing news is she doesn't want to be a lawyer I have a funny story. So my husband went to law school, left the company (where we both worked) and started working at a law firm. After a few months, he changed his mind on the lawyer thing within a year came back to work for our company again . We started dating shortly after that (his law school loans and all). His brother went to law school and graduated a couple years ago, he was hired by a law firm but was having some issues with how they operated. Anyway, he recently said he is thinking about giving up law and doing something else. I'm amused by both of them

As for me, I'm starting a new program. Sandi (of the 100 lb club) read Skwigg's blog and showed me this post: http://skwigg.tripod.com/blog/index.blog?from=20081022 After reading it, I decided to try the kettlebelle body program. So far I like it and it is pretty well thought out. I think I'll be able to incorporate it, my physical therapy exercises and my running.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #144  
Working My Way Back Down

Nelie, I read that post too and thought of you... Funny, I worked for a law firm for 20 years, and completely understand why they don't work for some people. I actually took the LSAT exams and was accepted to law school, but some little voice in the back of my mind told me that wasn't the career for me. Soo glad now that I didn't rack up all that debt, though I'm sure I'd have enjoyed going. If someone paid for it, I'd be a professional student.

Ah, Alena, I wish I could persuade myself to go to the gym when I wake up at 5am! Somehow, lying awake and my warm bed always seems more preferable. I'm definitely an evening exerciser.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:51 PM   #145  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

The gym early in the morning is always so cool! you can get the machines and weights you want, not many people around so it's quiet and you can focus on going that next minute or lifting that next higher weight. Miss it!

So I read right, Mel? Law School for the DD? If so, that's great!!! Even if she changes her mind later, she has a new experience under her belt and an even wider look at the world. It's great watching them grow, from the first tooth up and on past yet another degree or milestone. They may grow up but will always be our babies.

Tomato, I used to be 5 ft 2 and 3/4 inches until I SHRUNK down to a solid 5'2 person. I want my 3/4 inch BACK!!! Hope yours is just a math calculation thingy.

Oh well, got to go get my sweet potato out the microwave. I'm STARVING!
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #146  

The kettlebelles workout looks like fun Nellie, and it sounds like something you would have a good time with.

Mel -- It does feel great when the kids still want you there, my youngest is 26 and just got married in April Boy I can't believe how empty the house felt, unreal so I moved out bedroom into hers and converting ours to a workout room helped. That helped.

Tomato -- I can really relate on the height. I've always always always been 5' 6 3/4". No doctor, nurse or school nurse would ever give me that last 1/4".

Well I was able to fit my NRLW workout in before I left for work this morning and even took a nice long walk during lunch for some cardio so this evening I can just kick back and relax once I get home. Yippee. Love the feeling of being ahead of schedule. I can't believe how quickly my strength is coming back after not lifting for so long. I feel soooo good.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:42 AM   #147  
Mel

SHE PASSED THE BAR EXAM!!!!!

Those "don't want to be a lawyer" stories are NOT amusing. Already went through the "don't want to be a chemist" phase after 5 years of a double major in chemistry and nuclear engineering. Luckily, she seems to love patent law and will be takeng the patent bar in the winter.

No workouts scheduled today, but I may do some body weight stuff and stretching. After driving 7 hours yesterday and lying awake most of the night on an old bed, my back isn't in good shape.

Tomato- I'm more vintage than you. I have 5 years on you

Mel
Old 10-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #148  
Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post

Those "don't want to be a lawyer" stories are NOT amusing.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:34 AM   #149  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Mel - My husband loved patent law too... Ok maybe I will shush. The good news though is he is doing pretty well in his current career.

I did kettlebells this morning and I may add a little something to our main kettlebell thread because I think a lot about kettlebells when I do them. I love kettlebells. Seriously. Oh and I was doing a move where you swing a kettlebell around your body, let go and catch it with your other hand. In the course of the workout, I dropped the kettlebell 3 times. Luckily my pups were sleeping in their designated areas and the floor is concrete with carpet on top.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:21 AM   #150  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Mel,
Congrats to your DD! that's wonderful.
You should be lifting glasses full of champagne today, yeah, that should be your workout for today.

alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote