Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-17-2007, 07:19 AM   #16  

Hi LWL,

I went to bed early, but woke up at 4 am! Jetlag. Mel, I went to the far east, and I did not spend the entire 22 hours in the plane, but it was 22 hours from my hotel to my front door nonetheless: taxi in traffic jam, hanging around airport, very long flight, train and taxi home. I am still recovering from my jet lag.

Nelie - remember the vacuuming talk some weeks back ? Well, i bought myself a roomba for my birthday next week, and it arrived while I was away on my trip. We just tested the little guy and I think I've got something here! it zoomed around and when I cleaned it out it had an amazing amount of hairs and crumbs and dust!!! Thanks for the tip! DS really really loves this gadget, and we all watched it scoot around the room. I love the clean under the couch & cabinet feature of the thing. I only have to make some adjustmensts as to wires & carpets in my house, but I can see its usefullness around here!.

fran - Your results are AWESOME !
Pat - I read your scales moved in the right direction as well...that is great!

I'm getting sleepy again...going to take a nap soon!

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #17  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

I just took some measurements and figured I'd share. I need to write it down somewhere and little pieces of paper always wind up in the fire.

Waist 32"
Hips 41"
Bust 40"
Arms 12.5"
Thighs 23"
Calves 13.5"

So its actually only 1 inch in the hips that I have lost so far but a whopping 2 inches in the waist.

That's a lot of numbers I am not even sure what to shoot for in terms of measurements.

So a good start. I suppose. Are there any more measurements I should be taking? I am working on being more systematic with things. I tend to be somewhat right brained which is really a euphemism for scatterbrained. But having clear goals really helps. Running 5k was a good one now I can do that. Push ups are good. Do my age in push ups. OK that's next. 37 Pull ups will just have to wait untill I have lost some weight or until the earths gravity changes.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:46 PM   #18  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hickerchick: You are doing great! Great job with running 5k. You must really feel wonderful. I'm a fan of pushups too but haven't been able to eek out my age in pushups yet. This afternoon while I was at the gym someone had left a set of dumb bells by the mats. I haven't done pushups in a while and thought Maybe I will try to do the pushups using the dumb bells under my hands. Lets just say I didn't think that it made it easier.

Fran: Injuries are really frustrating when they occur but at least it kept you out of the storm for the weekend as you pointed out. I'm so looking forward to all of this cold weather to be gone for a while.

Mel: Did you make the trip in one piece okay? I hope it wasn't one sheet of ice the whole way.

Happy St. Patty's Day Everyone!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #19  
Mel

Hi there Hello from Columbus Hiya Lydia! (waving NW towards Worthington?)
The turnpike was clear except for a small snowstorm near Pittsburgh. I think Pittsburgh and Buffalo always have snow, unless they are stinkin hot

Columbus was a sea of beery cheer last night, all dressed in green. Dd and I went out for giant salads and skipped the green beer

No workouts, except hauling groceries from Sams Club 4 blocks to her apartment, then crawling all over her new apartment taking measurements to see if her furniture will fit and measuring windows for drapes.

We're about to go out to have bison burgers! Yum

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #20  
Kallos Sthenos

Mel! You lived! I was worried about that drive for you since everyone was stranded at the airports. Way to reminiscent of my DH trip home last month.

So how were the bison burgers? You went to Ted's didn't you? I've never been there but my mom and stepdad have eaten there.

Saturday was a little crazy here. Dublin of course had their parade in the morning. It was way too cold to take the boys and stand outside for that long so we opted out. In the late afternoon we went out for dinner and drove past a bar on Sawmill called Flannigans. The music from the place was so loud we could hear it three lanes over and inside our car! I guess the kids were having a good time.

Good luck getting the new apartment ready. That is a workout in itself. If DD is moving in the area that I'm thinking of there is an awesome new fitness club being built down the road from her. I think it's Lifetime Fitness? It looks fantastic. Too far for me to venture to everyday and I'm not a fan of stop and go traffic on Sawmill. But if I lived closer I would check it out.

Sounds like you had a nice time. Have a great drive back!

This week for me is another stay at home week. It's spring break for DS1 and DS2 is recovering from a nasty cold. I'll make the best of it, not use it as an excuse to eat off program and try some bodyweight exercises as well as the fitball DH got for me. Wish me luck
Old 03-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #21  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

Fran – Congrats on the new smaller measurements!

Mel – Glad you made your drive ok.

I got a run in on Saturday, but the rest of my weekend was consumed by St. Pattie’s day and March Madness. Sadly the Badgers did not fare so well against UNLV yesterday. Oh well, it was still fun to watch the game at State St. Brats.

It’s gearing up to be a crazy week at work here, I’ve got my fist big event to run on April 1, trying to get all the registrations and arrangements on order. Plus I’ll be out of town in LA for a long weekend starting Friday, I really want to make sure I’ve got all my ducks in a row before I get on that plane!
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:17 PM   #22  

S/C/G: Starting over

Morning lifters,

Had a good upper body workout this morning. I think I still need to do more. I catch workout time in bits and pieces. 20 minutes here and there. I think I could find another 20 minutes later in the day. Hopefully my kids will cooperate.

My pecs were super sore yesterday it was the absolute superest feeling. It made me feel like wonder woman. So today I attempted lifts with the 20lb dumbells...its cool that I can really lift that much. Now I'll have to go out and get heavier ones.

Men keep telling me to "be careful" and not to "hurt myself" when its my husband I just go ahead and tell him he's a sexist pig. Of course I don't want to hurt myself. That's why I do strength training. But I am preaching to the choir.

I kind of feel like I could be doing more though I am not sure what. Is there a fitday out there for workouts. You know something to track your progress. I am a terrible write it down for myself kind of person but if its online then I know where to find my list. Sort of pathetic but there you have it.

Good luck with your stay at home week Lydia. It is hard for me to be so close to the fridge all day. I am a serious boredom eater. Exercise is great for this...as is this site.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #23  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Hey Everyone!

It's been quiet around here lately. I've been checking in but not much too say. I know I'm hooked on this workout thing because it almost killed me today to cancel my gym plans to go for lunch with a friend. Today was the only day she could meet so I didn't want to say no but I need the gym on Mondays...weekends are never kind to me, diet wise.

So, when I got home, I grabbed my old dumbells and did a quick UBWO, nothing huge but it was better than nothing. Tomorrow is my running day, Wednesday I usually do my Power class but I'm going to give a spinning class a try at lunch and then decide whether I can still make it to Power after work. Thursday might be a day off (depending on how Wednesday goes) and Friday is step. Phew...you'd think I would be losing a few pounds but I seem to "relax" too much on the weekends for that to happen! Maybe one day the whole thing will come together!

hikerchick - I know a lot of people keep notebooks or spreadsheets to track their progress. I've seen some forms online but I can't remember where. If I can find something again, I'll come back to post it. Otherwise I'm sure that someone else will be able to help.

Mel - how were the bison burgers? Have you had them before? My husband quite likes them but I find them a bit too "gamey" for my liking. I think they're quite healthy though aren't they? Much lower fat than beef if I remember correctly.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Believe it or not, slimfast.com has a pretty cool fitness tracker. You should take a look.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #25  
Mel

Quote:
Men keep telling me to "be careful" and not to "hurt myself"
I can't begin to tell you how many times I've heard that! It's a standing joke now with me and another trainer. "don't hurt yourself, Mel" Of course, he has seen me walk smack into a squat bar or fall over a bench, so maybe in my case it's warranted.

The drive back was horrific! A rain white-out most of the way. I told ds he has to go to college within an hour's drive when I got home and we had a huge fight.

Lydia, Ted's was good! The bison was really tender unlike the last time I had it out in Colorado, which leads me to believe it wasn't so lean....but it was good. You can also get a baked sweet potato instead of fries, but you have to ask for no butter and brown sugar. If you order a regular baked potato, they ask you what toppings you want. If you order sweet, you automatically get another 300 calories dumped on top. Mine got sent back the first time, but they were very accomodating. We only go shopping up near Sawmill- I agree, the traffic is HORRIBLE! I've never seen so many chain restaurants and big box stores in my life She's moving to to an apartment complex kind of on the edge of Grandview/Upper Arlington.

Today I'm going to try to fit a total body workout in around 8 clients or maybe chest and legs. Weird split, but that's what I missed. Scale is down 2 pounds from not eating much, but I expect at least a pound back

Have a good one!
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 09:18 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Mel, if they are building a Lifetime Fitness near your DD tell her to JOIN!! I had a membership there for a while, but the drive was too ridiculous and DDs athletic schedule didn't allow us to get there enough to make it worthwhile but the club is AWESOME!! Rock climbing walls, a freaking TON of different classes, lap pool that's seperate from the main pool, saunas, it was awesome.

Lydia, good luck with Spring break. My DDs spring break is the week AFTER my DS's spring break and that totally sucks!

HRBabe, you are making EXCELLENT progress. I don't blame you on not buying new clothes. You are definitely on the move down to a slimmer you.

Rabbit, are you back up to speed yet?

Hi everyone else.

I'm trying to get back on track with food and workout. Yesterday's food was ugly. I had a migraine and was super tired from two full days of cheer competitions and over-priced junk food (venue offered NO healthy food and I didn't remember to pack anything to bring) but I made myself go to the gym last night, moreso to run for endorphins than anything else. I got up this AM at 4:30 and went back. I did a mix of 2 miles running and 1 mile walking. Then I decreased all my weights for my back routine, upped the reps and paid very close attention to form. I can already feel the muscles tightening up and know that I'll be sore tomorrow but that's the whole goal, right? I'll do the same (lower weights, higher reps and form check) for the rest of the week cause I believe that my less than stellar results from lifting are due to piss-poor form.

Tiki
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #27  
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy Tuesday all! I worked out this morning - the first time since injuring my knee, and it felt great! I was cautious about what I could and couldn't do, but was able to to do today's workout with just a few modifications. Squats and lunges of any kind are out of the question, so I need to get creative about my LBWO exercises. Getting on the ground to do cable rows and ab work was a bit of a challenge, but I managed not to hurt myself!

Can't really spend much more time here now, but just wanted to stop in and say "Hi!".
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 01:16 PM   #28  

Hi LWL,

Mel - glad you made it back Ok!

Hi Tiki, keep up the good work!

Hrbabe- your new picture is awesome! You are certainly getting incredible progress1

I have a setback today, the tiredness was receding but unfortunately another bad job related interview today. HRM had set this up for me, and after the guy stood me up for half an hour he appears totally unruffled, and I find out that my HRM person has not at all represented what i told her. It was a total waste of time & also screwed up my morning. I know I am overreacting, and I know I will feel better tomorrow, but it is not great today.

On the good side, I did go to power class last night.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit
Old 03-20-2007, 01:56 PM   #29  
Kallos Sthenos

Wow is it a beautiful day here in Central Ohio. I'm going to make this post quick because I need to get out there.

Elisa: I know exactly what you mean about needing those Monday workouts! The ubwo you did is certainly better than nothing at all. Besides, I'm sure you will make it up in your spinning class.

Fran: I saw your poll. I want to think about that one for a while. I did a fbwo three days a week for I think five or six months. I would have to look at my book. Could it had lead up to my stress fracture injury. I do remember being really sore and having a hard time sleeping at night. Could have been signs of overtraining. I really enjoyed it though. Some of my best workouts were done then. So I don't want to say they are a bad thing. Maybe its something that it good in a rotation. Maybe three or four weeks of fbwo three days a week and then a two day split...

Mel: White out rains are just as bad as ice. I've driven in those too with a river running beside the road. Glad you made it safely home. Thanks for the review on Ted's. I'll keep the sweet potato in mind. There are so few places where they actually serve them. I hope your DD will enjoy the area she moved to. Those are my stomping grounds too. DH and I spend a lot of time on Grandview Avenue on the weekends during the summer. There are a lot of really great places: mmmmm Spagio, Jeni's, Stauffs...Thoms on Grandview also gets a thumbs up from me. They have nice seafood choices. And, they do private parties upstairs. Grandview is just a really cool area. We made Arlington home about ten years ago. can't believe it's been that long already...Anyway, tell DD I said "Welcome to the neighborhood."

Tiki: Whew, two back to back workouts. I envy your muscle soreness right now. Sick but true. These cheer events seem really grueling for the parents. As parents it is so difficult to carve time out for our needs without feeling like we are short changing our kids. (sigh) I thought of you the other day when I saw an add for a gymnastics/cheer facility that also offers a workout gym for parents. What a concept! I wonder if more places offer these kinds of amenities and I just don't know that yet because my DS1 is involved in them yet. Great idea though. Why should the kids have all the fun.

Cindy: You and I are dealing with the exact same issues here. Oh that knee thing! It is really funny when I get into position for one arm rows. I have discovered that I really don't put any body weight on the bent knee if I don't have too. The mats are hysterical when I'm trying to get up too. I've figured out how to do it somewhat gracefully but it's real obvious that I can't use it to lift myself up yet. Seems kind of silly after my elliptical workout. to have trouble just getting up off the ground.

Rabbit: I don't think you are over reacting. I'd be frustrated too. I truly hope the rest of your day goes much better.

Okay. About that sunshine outside my patio is calling for me. Or, is that the boys...(mom it's not gonna work...Mom...MOM.) yep. it was them.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #30  

Hi Lydia, thanks for not thinking I'm over reacting. I'm sure it'll be okay by tomorrow.