Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-08-2014, 05:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 412/TICKER/175

Height: 5'5

Default So, I had my pre-op clearance testing today

Holy moly! I knew there was going to be a few tests, however it ended up being five HOURS of testing! And I am SO glad that portion of this journey is over with. After my testing, I met with the doctor that would clear me to schedule a surgery date. I got good news, and bad news.

The bad news? I'm not cleared. I still have the pneumonia that I've been fighting for 4 months now. Since I'm able to walk without being out of breath finally, I thought that perhaps it was gone. Unfortunately not. It's getting better, but they are still not happy with how much is left in my lungs. I was told that my doctors made a mistake by not having me admitted to the hospital to treat it via IV, and that if they would have done so, I would have healed up months ago. I have to get another chest xray in one month, and see if there is improvement.

I was officially diagnosed with high blood pressure (not really a surprise there). However, it's not to the point of needing medication for it, so that's a good thing. Just need to watch my salt intake for now. I also have very high cholesterol. Again, need to watch my cholesterol, and try to get those numbers down. Those things will not prevent me having the surgery, though.

Lastly, I was told that I'm anemic. My levels are very low. My Vitamin D levels are scary low....like, the lowest that clinic/hospital has seen. It's supposed to be at a 60, and my level? A 6. I have to go on prescription strength Iron pills & Vitamin D to get my levels up before they will clear me for surgery.

The good news? Once I can get these things done, I'll be cleared for surgery, and the doctor said I'm an excellent patient, due to the low risk factors...no diabetes, no heart problems, etc.

--------------------------------

While I know the surgery is on hold so that I can be the healthiest I can be, and have the most positive experience without major issues, it was a blow, and I had a little bit of a cry-fest in the doctor's office. I felt like WLS was sitting there on a platter, and then just taken away from me. Which is absolutely SILLY, because it'll happen, just not as soon as I had hoped.
kayleystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

My vitamin D was at 9 ten months ago. I started on the prescription vitamin D and it was back up to 23 within 6 months. At what level does it need to be for the surgery?
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanawurkit View Post
My vitamin D was at 9 ten months ago. I started on the prescription vitamin D and it was back up to 23 within 6 months. At what level does it need to be for the surgery?
You know, I was such a cry-fest at that point, I didn't even ask. I go back in a month for a follow-up for my pneumonia, so I'll ask then.
Old 08-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

It's crazy how emotional we get......I know I was so scared my BMI wouldn't be high enough that I put rocks in my pocket. I didn't have diabetes and my blood pressure was below normal....I was so afraid. I had no problem with my approval. LOL.....I know it isn't funny at the time but when you set back and reflect.....Oh, did I mention I thought for sure I wouldn't pass the psych exam? It will happen when it is supposed to. You don't want the surgery until your lungs are cleared. Hugs and prayers for fast recovery.
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #5  

Thank you! I've been trying to think positively this weekend....and I guess it'll just give me a little more time to lose weight before the surgery, which will make my surgeon very happy!
Old 08-11-2014, 11:45 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

Luv - the most important thing for this surgery is that you go into it as healthy as you possibly can. Pneumonia is no joke, and if it's been around for awhile [as with you], it's not easy to get rid of.

and this also proves one other point: just because we're overweight doesn't mean that we're properly 'nutritioned.' and that's HUGELY important.

WLS is NOT being snatched from you. It's coming.

and who knows? for me, because i was SO SICK going into the surgery, after i was cleared in November, the surgeon gave me a date of mid-Feb for the surgery. BUT, somewhere around January 23, he called me and said that he'd had to postpone someone's surgery, and would i like his slot? The poor man had a bad cold, and therefore the delay.

So, i had my surgery more than TWO WEEKS ahead of my scheduled date! keep up the great attitude, and use the time to build new habits and new approaches.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM   #7  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Kayley - It's actually very good they're are postponing your surgery until you recover from pneumonia and get your Vit. D increased. The reasons are pretty obvious for the pneumonia delay...the last thing you want is for that to get WORSE. And Vit. D can strengthen the immune system, which you want to be at it's strongest so it can fight off any potential infection. And as you said, this delay will help you lose more weight pre-surgery, which can reduce the risk of complications.

I am hoping to have my surgery in November before Thanksgiving, but since the center where I'm having surgery is backed up and usually schedules surgeries 8 weeks out, I need to lose these last stubborn 10 or 11 pounds by the end of this month or middle of next month at the latest.

Last edited by diyana; 08-11-2014 at 02:19 PM.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #8  

Jiffypop & Diyana - In hindsight, I know all of these things. I'm an emotional person as it is, so it was just a breakdown moment for me. Paired with all the issues I've had this entire year, it was just more than I could take at that moment.

I've got a call into my P.C.P., so I can get the prescription strength Vitamin D & Iron. Until then, I'm taking some over the counter, so I can at least start to get my numbers up. Trying to consume more foods with Iron in it as well.

Honestly, I'd just be happy if I can have the surgery this year...I've met my deductible!

Thank you both for the support, it means the world to me.

Last edited by kayleystar; 08-11-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

have i told you today how proud i am of you? you could have given up many many times - and you haven't!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #10  
Creating a Healthier Me

Kaylee - We all have those emotional moments. I'm really proud of you for facing and feeling your emotions. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to have the surgery this year. Good luck!
Old 08-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

Kayley - sharing a 5 AM thought with you about your pneumonia. The people you should REALLY be angry with are your DOCTORS, the ones who didn't properly diagnose you with pneumonia in the first place. It's SO MUCH EASIER for them to see an overweight person and to blame the weight for any difficulties in breathing or walking. And THAT'S a BIG reason that our health fails over time.

because health care professionals jump to conclusions rather than actually taking the time to investigate.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:58 AM   #12  

Jiffypop, I am absolutely furious with my P.C.P., AND the emergency room docs! I should have been hospitalized for the pneumonia, and it would have been cleared up MONTHS ago.

My PCP got the order in for my Vitamin D & Iron, so I start that today, along with Cipro (another antibiotic...usually used to treat Anthrax), so hopefully I can start to recover.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #13  
Creating a Healthier Me

Kayley - Cipro is a really good antibiotic for pneumonia. It's helped me in the past. Sending healing energy your way.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:01 PM   #14  

Diyana - I'm hoping this is the antibiotic to finally kick it to the curb!

-----------------------

So, I got a call today from the hospital that I had my pre-op testing done at....and apparently, I've been cleared for surgery. I'm kind of confused, as I thought the doctor said I wasn't cleared due to these issues. The only thing I can think is that since my surgeon schedules 8-10 weeks out, they figure my levels will be better at that time, and they want to get me on the books.

The nurse I spoke to said she faxed over my surgical clearance forms, and I should be getting a call from my surgeon's office by the end of the week.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #15  
Old Cackler

sounds about right, kayeley. you're doing great [should i admit that i just ate a cookie? or would that upset you too much?]