Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 348/185/170

Height: 5.10/177cm

Default 3 weeks after wls and not losing

Hi everyone

It is almost three weeks after my bypass surgery and I am really really disappoited i am notloosin any weight. I have lost 12 lbs on my first week and then it stopped. In las 14 days I have only lost less than 2 lbs.
I am aware that plateu is normal but I seriuosly doubt it is normal in that eary stage when I should be loosing the most I follow the program as I should afterall threre is no turning back now, the only thing i know i'm not getting enough is water....i struggle with it every day.

Otherwise I'm feeling better, starting to get my energy level back slowly, but this problem is also starting to get on my nerves and making me feel really sad.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #2  
Releasing the inner hiker

No need to fret, it is completely normal. Your body is adjusting and healing; the weight loss will continue.

It seems like plateaus happen to most people at three weeks and three months. If it truly is making you feel really sad, stay off the scale. I'm sorry your surgical team/program did not give you advance notice that this would happen. My weight loss was not a continuous downward trend, but more in line with steps. I would lose 3-5lbs and then stay at the weight for weeks and then lose another 3-5lbs. You may be losing weight the same way I did.

Chin up! It gets better!
Zeitgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:40 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

yeah - what Jen said. keep on doing what you're doing - emphasize the water [it CAN help with plateaus sometimes]. Are you hitting your protein goals? sometimes a stall is nothing more than water weight.

keep moving. keep drinking. chin up, darlin!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #4  

Thank you both <3

My head understand this...unfortunately my emotions don't I am feeling better though since I have more strength last couple of days and can be more active. I also took your advice Jiffypop and started using protein supplement and also some more vitamins and it helps.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I have not had my surgery yet, so maybe I am not qualified to comment, BUT...two weeks ago I had a meeting with my "Bariatric Case Worker" and one of the things she spent a fair amount of time talking about was the emotional roller coaster I will be on after surgery, which might be what is leading to some of your sadness. She also said there will be some plateaus and getting enough protien and water can help (as others have already said).

Stay strong and keep going! You'll get there!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:38 AM   #6  

Kate, I didn't know these thing before and I did A LOT of reading even downsides of the surgery. But I don't know if I haven't read it or was just too stuck up about these problem and thought It can't happen to me. It's just really weird that I didnt realize these before. But one thing is certain medical stuff did not tell us anything about these. They should and honestly now when I think about my apointment with psichologist she asked me so many unimportant things when she should talk about emotional roller coaster. Maybe they should go through the surgery so they'll know what's really happening lol.

I am feeling better though my weight is still not changing but hopefully it will soon. I'm sure I am not the only one on this planet that won't lose weight
Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #7  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

You will lose the weight!! WLS is only a tool, you still have loads of work to do. Protein, supplements, water, exercise....not necessarily in that order, but those should be your focus. You should have a water bottle in your hand practically every second of the day. Your only concern for what you are eating is getting that protein in. I'm NOT on board with what the nutritionist say because if it were up to me I'd have protein shakes for the rest of my life and forget about food. It is way, way too easy to slip in bad carbs like cookies and bread. If you need to just have protein shakes for a couple of weeks then go for it otherwise forget about any other form of food and concentrate on protein, then veggies, then fruit, carbs like bread etc should be at the very bottom and not at all if you can help it. Are you exercising? I know it is only 3 weeks out but still you should be getting in some regular walks even if they are short, it is better than nothing and the exercise will help with your emotions. People always feel up and positive after exercising! Finally those pesky supplements...well we all signed up for those, nothing to do but grin and bear it. It's a necessary evil to stay healthy. The scale will move, trust me, it will. Your body is still saying WHAT????????? don't worry, it'll pass!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #8  
Old Cackler

Go Jen!!!!!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #9  

Thanx Jen reading this I could actually see you all energetic telling me YOU WILL LOSE! haha... I am feeling ten thousand times better, my energy level is rising each day. I have started with walks a week ago and after my period which is due tomorrow I'm thinking of starting swimming on regular basis. My scale moved yesterday an today for the first time in last three weeks..which is like yaaaaaay lol so now I'm 294lbs. My BMI now is 42, my highest was 50,6.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #10  

It's been five weeks now and I am loosing and loving it Today I am 60 lbs lighter then I was on Thedecisionday in February. It's amazing.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #11  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

It is super easy to get into the mindset that WLS is a magic tool and the weight is going to slide right off but there is still so much work that has to be done. I'm still in that mindset sometimes wondering why I am not losing weight and then it kind of hits me, um, maybe it is the thoughtless eating that I still slip into?? We have lifetimes of bad habits to turn around for long term permanent weight loss. I'm so happy that the weight has started coming off for you!! Keep up the good work!
Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #12  

I had a laparoscopic bypass...very easy to recover from it..only five small cuts
Old 11-17-2012, 02:22 AM   #13  

Today it's 2 months since my surgery and I feel great
Old 11-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

I'm so glad to read this - do you realize that you lost 20 pounds in a month? an average of 5 pounds a week? looks like you're on your way! keep up the great work!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #15  

Yes I do it's amazing! I'm really happy with the results and they are really showing...am taking all the old clothes out of the closet and wear them...won't be able to do that much longer I haven't been this size for 10 years. I don't have any smaller clothes lol This makes me happy hehe. Thanks jiffypop for the support!