Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #1  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Default I'm getting so frustrated! Ok it might just be the PMS but still...

Ever since I gained that last 5 lbs, making my weight gain at 15lbs, I have not been able to lose it again.

Any ideas on how someone that's 2 and a half years out, very prone to "starvation mode", who is exercising at least 30 mins a day (3 hours of steady hard, dancing on Friday and Sat. I'm a sweaty mess!), and who has cut out most, but not all, of the carbs out of her diet, can lose weight??

HELP!!!! I so don't want to gain and I would LOVE to lose that 15lbs back!

Anyone have any ideas?????

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-28-2010 at 01:01 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #2  
~~transforming Diva~

S/C/G: 368-heaviest 299/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

I know this must be horribly frustrating - but it seems like you hit a plateau. I am not sure how to kick start out of one cuz I haven't reached one yet. First, how many calories are you eating a day, have you changed up your exercise routine? You may have to increase from 30 mins. to 45 minutes...Do you include weight training in your routine? I would think that throwing a change into your daily routine might be able to kick start you out of the plateau. Whatever you do..........don't give up!! This will pass.
WillsAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #3  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

i'm not sure how the body works post-WLS, but if you were telling me this without it I would guess that you're not eating enough calories and your body is in starvation mode and clinging to those lbs. I have a friend who was in a similar situation-she exercised a lot and didn't eat much-was always hungry. She backed off the exercise and started losing again. She probably would have started losing again if she'd kept the exercise the same and ate more . .
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #4  

I eat 1600 cals a day. That is my NUTs goal because of my height and goal weight...uped my protein intake to at least 120 grams... I should be losing according to her. I tried cutting it to 1200 to lose more and gained that last 10 lbs (thus the stravation mode remark) and it stuck! I had to cut the amount of excerise I was doing too because I was becoming obsessed, though I could change it up a bit. I just added weight lifting back in and its helping how I look but not my weight. *sigh*

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-28-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #5  

30 minutes of exercise for health, 60 minutes for weight loss most days of the week. Cutting calories often backfires and puts you into starvation mode. After giving your body what it needs for awhile it'll decide to lose again.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #6  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

Have you tried varying your calories from day to day so your body doesn't get used to the same calorie intake? It works well in a lot of diets-figure out your ideal calorie # for the week-and then some days for example-eat 1200 cals, the next 2000, the next 1400, and so on-but keep your daily average calorie intake at 1600 or whatever.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 PM   #7  

I have not tried that, juliemarie! That sounds interesting!

and I'll go back to 60 minutes a day. Thanks Susan!

Any more?? I'm, desperate!

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-28-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 335/tracker/150

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I know I do not lose any weight at all for the week before my period. not even right after surgery.
Duckslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:00 PM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hey Ang
2 things I'm doing now first I cut out wheat and wheat products and I lost 10 pounds of water off my body in 2 weeks I went from 155 to 145

Now I'm not eating Atkins perse (I'm having almond milk and not going crazy with fat) But I'm working to keep my carbs under 50

Counting calories made me insane!
Right now Im doing around 30 min per day and planning to inch that up higher
I need to lose12 lbs to get back to my lowest and 20 to get to my goal weight
we can do this!
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:50 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 260/170/155

Height: 5"4

Hi Angela,
I'm Carol--we haven't met yet--I'm new to the board.
I had surgery two years ago--we are kind of at the same point. I regained 10 pounds over the summer. I've lost it all now and got back on track, but I'm a slow loser and I do go into plateaus that can last a long time. I don't know what kind of WLS you had--I had lapband, so sometimes I need to have a fill done, but sometimes that isn't what I need, but to look at what I am doing that can be done slightly differently. It may be that you are eating fine--don't starve yourself, but change up your activity--I started walking more and driving less. Trying different forms of exercise. Right now I'm taking yoga--in another month I'll start swimming again. You may not need to be more intense in your work out--just do something different to work different muscle groups in a different way.
Hope this helps in a small way.
Cheers,
Carol
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:11 AM   #11  

Thanks so much for the advice, Carol...I will try that! I haven't lost a lbs but my clothes feel like they fit so much better! Must be the exercise.

It's a pleasure to meet you, honey!

Angela
Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/170/155

Height: 5"4

A pleasure to meet you too.
I notice that too--my clothes will fit looser way before the scale reflects that.

Carol
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #13  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Angela, weight training often results in an initial weight gain on the scale before it drops. Like you've noticed, you become smaller before you see results on the scale. I don't know what your dietary restrictions are as I did not have WLS, I would try to really focus on whole foods, especially veggies. Veggies are the bomb and I always get good results when I up my veggie intake.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #14  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Wow I am so with you on this. I don't eat healthy every day and know where I faulter and do not exercise much. I am up about 15-18 pounds from my goal weight. It is frustrating and I just cannot get a grip on doing the right thing for more than 3 or 4 days at a time. All I can do is think about food. I am convinced that food is the devil himself.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Well, here's my story. I'm 3 years out this month and I've gained 8 stupid pounds! I know what it is that has made me personally gain. LAZINESS and CARELESSNESS! My portions are still the same, but the quality of those portions are not always the best. Little things have started creeping in again. Like no protein for breakfast, not buying low cal butters, for example. I remember when I first had WLS, I watched every little thing I put into my mouth. I broiled, whole grained it and I'm not as careful about some of that now. I met a lady five years out at the lab the other day and she told me that she doesn't eat sugary things, but the quality of what she eats is terrible. "I don't eat right!" She was a slow loser and has not gained back, but feels that she doesn't eat healthily! HEAR! HEAR! I'm really striving to eat a more balance diet since my DH has now gained back 1/2 of the weight he lost. If I cook it, buy it, or bring it into the house than he eats it! That doesn't say much about what I've been putting on the table now does it. It easy for me when on the road to eat 1/2 of a hamburger instead of a nice healthy salad. DUMB! I still try to stay within the 1 cup thing, but whoa what is in that cup! My water consumption is awful and my exercise is hit miss. I know I'm a whole lot thinner, but how heart healthy am I going to stay at this rate? I love my WLS because it gave me LIFE, but dang I wish I didn't have to work so hard because I'm such a food addict! Well, addictions is better than DEAD! LOL!!! I'm still considered obese, not morbid, but still obese. DANG! I can see my feet now and won't be buried in a piano box, but wish I was wiser and a healthier eater. If I eat salad, I'm starved in two minutes. If I eat only meat than I'm not nutritionally sound! WHINE WHINE WHINE, should be enough that I'm alive at this point! LOL!!! WhooHoo that was cathartic! LOL!!

Last edited by nanj; 10-26-2010 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Stupidity!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote