Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #1  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

Default taking the first step

I'm taking my first step toward wls and going to a seminar at my local hospital to meet the surgeons & learn about what they can do here. I've read a few articles about what kinds of things to ask about while I'm there... just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of information I should get from them right away?

I'm leaning toward gastric sleeve, but it doesn't look like they have that listed on their website as an option. Since they do Roux en Y I have to imagine they are capable of performing it. This will be my big question for them... any others I should keep in mind?

thanks ladies! I have been reading all the posts and lurking for a while while I think on this, but I am really leaning towards going for it based on all of your feed back and information.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #2  

DO NOT assume that if they do one surgery that they do another....this is not true. You need to make sure that you research ALL your surgery options before you look at surgeons or at least think multiple surgeons. Choose your surgery based on your needs and lifestyle and NOT what your surgeon performs. You do not want to have any regrets after getting cut open.

You need to know how many surgeries your surgeon has performed. I'd go personally for no less than 200 surgeries as that's generally what is considered to be "proficient"in a surgery.

You might want to go through this list of questions and see if there are some that may "resonate" with you enough to ask your surgeon.
* How many years have you been a bariatric surgeon?
* Are you a board-certified bariatric surgeon?
* Are you a member of ASBS (American Society of Bariatric Surgery)?
* How many and what type of weight loss surgeries do you perform each year? (Shows overall skill level)
* Based on my personal health and weight, what surgery do you recommend for me?
* What are the advantages of this procedure?
* What are the disadvantages of this procedure?
* What are the risks of weight loss surgery?
* What are the risks of this procedure?
* How many of my type of surgery (lap-band, gastric bypass, DS) have you performed? (An experienced surgeon should have done at least 250 of your procedure)
* Do you perform the surgery laparoscopically or open? (If possible, laparoscopic surgery has a quicker recovery)
* Will you perform the procedure, or an assistant?
* Will you be in the operation room during the entire procedure?
* Where will the surgery be performed?
* Is the hospital or clinic a Center of Excellence?
* How many people on the entire medical team?
* Is everyone of the medical team licensed?
* What pre-op testing will be done?
* What post-op testing will be done?
* Why don't you recommend the other procedures for me?
* What changes will I be expected to make with regards to diet and exercise?
* Do you have an insurance and/or financial coordinator available to patients?
* Do you have a nutritionist available to patients?
* Do you have a psychologist available to patients?
* Do you have a support group for patients?
* Do you have someone I can call if I have a question during non-office hours?
* What is expected weight loss?
* Ask for specific statistics regarding complications and outcomes with your particular type of surgery. They should be willing to provide the information and not try to hide any negative results.
* If lap band surgery, what type of band? (Inamed or Johnson & Johnson)
* Are you certified with that type of band?
* Regarding lap band surgery, what is rate of infections? (should be less than 1%)
* Regarding lap band surgery, what are your slip statistics? (should be less than 3%)
* Regarding lap band surgery, what are your erosion statistics? (should be less than 1.3%)
* Regarding lap band surgery, are fills included in post-op care? If not, what is the cost for a fill? (many doctors provide fills for the first year if they perform the surgery)
* Do you have patients who are willing to share their experiences with me?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:19 PM   #3  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

wow! thats a lot! Thanks Dawn!!
Closed Thread