Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #1  

Default What to do when you hit a Plateau??

Good Morning... I have been good losing weight on SBD, until about 2 weeks ago, I am eating the same things, but when I weighted, I had not lost anything. I didn't gain either, what can I do to change the way my body is getting used to the food I eat, I tried cutting down the portions, that didn't do a thing. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated....SO CLOSE....but no goal yet.....Thanks
overstuffedchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 174/148/138

Height: 5' 9"

Don't cut your food intake, eat more and you'll start losing again.
Moo :) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:29 PM   #3  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

2 weeks is really a short time for no weight change. Be patient and it will happen. Your body has to adjust to the weight loss. Good luck and best wishes. try to stay a healthy food level, this is what you need.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:47 PM   #4  
I don't even own a wagon.

S/C/G: 363/277/200

Height: 5'11"

I recently went through a 6-week plateau (which is still a lot shorter than some). I was stuck at 314 for so long that I began to hate that number on a very personal level! I still resent the number 4 just a bit...

The main advice I can give you is don't let frustration get to you. Continue with the good work, but this might be a time to shift your focus from the scale to other measures: how you're feeling, how well you're perfroming during exercise, how well you're sticking to your plan, etc. The scale is only one of many ways to measure your progress.

Also, I really have found that switching around my exercise is important. I go to the gym, and was doing just the treadmill for my cardio. Since I was increasing the difficulty settings on a regular basis, I thought I was doing great. However, I tried the eliptical one day and found that I could barely do that on the lowest setting! Now I switch between treadmill, bike, and eliptical. If you've been walking, try riding a bike for a while, or vise-versa, or try a new sport, or swim.... just something that will use your musles in a new way.

Number one, though, is just don't give up... things are happening, they just don't involve the scale. Good Luck!
andoreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 12:50 PM   #5  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

Eat slightly more, maybe 300 cals more, and exercise a lot, especially weights/resistance training. Also try maybe green tea and lots of proteins.

This should raise your metabolism sufficiently. Also make sure you're sleeping at least 8 hours a night and not stressing out too much! You'll break it soon, I promise.
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 02:11 PM   #6  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

I've been on a 9 week plateau, more or less... anyway what I decided to do last week is to try something completely different for me. Before I had tried uping my calories by 200 for a couple days. That didn't work. I tried more intense and longer cardio. That didn't work. I tried lowering my cardio and taking more days off. That didn't work. I tried eating different foods. That didn't work either. So last week I was looking around the board and kept reading about the Wendie Plan on the WW forum. I did more research on it online and it seemed to work for many people, especially to break a plateau. So I switched the points to calories and have been doing that since last Wednesday. So far I'm down 1.5 lbs. I don't know if it will hold until Tuesday (my weigh in day). But so far it's working for me. I was scared of uping my calories to 1950 one day a week and really didn't think it would work, but had enough hope to try it anyway.

You might look into that and concider it if other things don't work for you. It seems scary, but if nothing else works, it's worth a try. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it ends up working for me.

2 weeks really isn't a long time. Keep working hard and if you still haven't lost any weight then try this. It may just break on it's own for you.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #7  

Ehh...how about a 6 month plateau in the 190's? It sucks.
Rtael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:47 PM   #8  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

I just got past a 5 week one...I know how you are feeling. I was stuck at 222. I have since lost weight...and it's coming off again. Just keep at it.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:02 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtael
Ehh...how about a 6 month plateau in the 190's? It sucks.
Does it help to know that I'm there too???? I broke 199 in January or so, and I've struggled down to 196 now........it's a jolly pain in the

The cool thing is, I'm still dropping body fat and dress sizes, I'm in 12 fitted skirt, but the scales just don't want to budge.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:56 PM   #10  
Fit chick in hidding

S/C/G: 201/164.4/100 4'11"

Sometime plateaus are actually blessings. Have you taken your measurements? You may find that even though the scale is staying the same that you are losing inches. In the last month and a half the scale has barely moved for me, but I got my sister to take my measurements again last night and in 3.5 weeks I have lost 2" each off my bust, hips and thighs and another 1.5" each off my calves.
LuckySmyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:14 PM   #11  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

I have been a 200 for 4 weeks now...but I have maintened 200 for 4 weeks too. Look at it as a test run for after you meet your goal. You already have the maintenance part down pat!
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
Does it help to know that I'm there too???? I broke 199 in January or so, and I've struggled down to 196 now........it's a jolly pain in the

The cool thing is, I'm still dropping body fat and dress sizes, I'm in 12 fitted skirt, but the scales just don't want to budge.

Stupid scales....too bad I'm addicted to mine or I might get rid of it.
Rtael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:51 PM   #13  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I typically have 3-4 week plateaus, and usually lose around 2 lbs at a time at the end of them. I don't really consider them plateaus, I weigh daily usually, but am not expecting a change, only over time. The time of day, what you ate that day, what you ate the few days before, how much water you drank, what exercises you've done in the last couple days can all factor in and I think it's too unpredictable to get held up on the scale.

Things you can try to do to break up plateau: zig-zag what you're eating (I count calories personally, so could be eat less one day, eat more another), add more cardio, *change* your cardio to a new cardio that uses different muscles, add more weights, add more protein to your diet, add more vegetables, remove packaged foods, cut back on fat/sugar/sodium...

I'll bet most people who plateau are either a) not noticing the changes in their body (take measurements!) or b) not sticking to plan, or not sticking as well to plan. I think no matter how well you eat, there's always room for improvement in the eating area. I know I am far from perfect, but I know if I get fed up with slow scale results I can just focus on REALLY CLEAN eating and after a few weeks the scale will magically move again. Hang in there ladies, a plateau means you are *maintaining* instead of *gaining* and that is excellent!
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #14  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBran
So last week I was looking around the board and kept reading about the Wendie Plan on the WW forum.
I just got done reading that post. Wow, how wonderfully put.

I count calories too, so how did you figure the points to calories? I'm still a little confused. What do they mean, that by the end of a 7-day period I should still total 8400 calories? I just mix the calories up?

Could you help me a little with this? I'm stuck too (going on almost 3 months now) and I don't know how to adjust my calories to keep that old "thermostat" in high gear.

I eat about 1200-1300 calories a day.

Thanks, hon

P.S. I'll post about it on the WW board too, maybe they can help me make more sense of this
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:08 PM   #15  

You need to up your workout. Shock your body a little bit. If you decrease what you are eating, I KNOW THAT WILL NOT WORK. Your body will adapt to it. I would switch to healthier foods if you can, and don't decrease the amount you eat.
You go girl!!!!
chrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote