Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-07-2006, 11:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/216/110

Height: 5'1"

Default Mortified - Broken Toilet Seat

I feel absolutely mortified right now. Nobody even knows about this (just happened).

Anyhow, I broke the one side of my toilet seat in half... Right now I'm afraid to sit on it anymore for fear it's going to break more.

I live by myself in an apartment. I know I'm going to have to call the management/maintanence about this, but it's extremely embarrassing that my weight caused the seat to break (it's a wooden type seat rather than porcelin), and it's going to be obvious when they have to come fix it.

Has this happened to anyone?

Maybe I'm being totally irrational, but I don't even want to look in the mirror right now.
spunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:46 AM   #2  
LLV

Honey, toilet seats break. And hey, toilet seats aren't that expensive. Instead of calling maintenance to fix it, why not just spend the few bucks and buy one yourself?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:52 AM   #3  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Sorry that this has happened to you, but I wouldn't put too much blame on yourself. Toilet seats break. They don't last forever and yes, you do need a new one but its really very easy to fix. I would go to the hardware store and get one that you like and change it. $20 and its all over!!! don't be too hard on yourself!!!
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #4  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

As Linda said, toilet seats DO break (if not, they wouldn't sell so many replacement seats) and they are not expensive. You can pick one up at Walmart for under $10.

Why not upgrade and get a padded seat which is more comfortable!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

You can always go to Walmart and get yourself a pretty one. I've broken one myself. Doesn't make you feel great, but not the end of the world and I bought one that I liked for a change. When you move out of the apartment you can either leave it or buy a white one and change it out.
exquisitern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #6  
katallan

S/C/G: 204/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Don't be so hard on yourself! Toliet seats break! It is a fact of life. I have replaced a couple myself.

You can pick up a new one at Walmart, Lowes, etc. And the are fairly easy to install.
katallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:14 PM   #7  
LLV

Yeah, like the others said, get yourself a nice one. I mean, hey, we only live once, we may as well treat our bums to something nice as well, lol.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #8  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I broke one, too, a couple of years ago. It was luck of the draw, really. It had a crack in it already (may have even been there when we bought the house, for all we know). It just happened to break on one of my turns.

Embarassing? You betcha! And I live in a family, so there was no hiding.

As everyone has said, just get another one. Easy peasy to swap it out. And because you live alone, no one will ever be the wiser!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:14 PM   #9  
Enjoy the day!

I'll tell you what.. I have not broken the seat, but the whole toilet is "wobbly" now more than it used to be and also I can hear the water swish in the tank when I sit or get up. *GROAN* But like the folks above said, I wouldn't call maint. people I would just go buy one at Walmart LOL
Brendalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #10  
Sick of Fat

S/C/G: 240/183/150

Oh those wood ones are always breaking! Definately just go pick another one up Things break.. it was probably just old anyways and not you!
sabriena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #11  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

A trip to Walmart indeed. I have had to replace mine before and it wasn't hard at all. Don't be embarrassed. They break and need replaced from time to time.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 01:38 PM   #12  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

If the toilet is wobbly, it needs to be tightened at the base. There are two bolts, one on either side. Don't OVERTIGHTEN them, as the bowl could crack. Just take off the caps covering them, and tighten them 1/4 of a turn, doing first the right, then the left, until it is tighter. Then, replace the seat. If you look at the seat, it is held on with plastic screws. Just unscrew them, take the seat off, then pop the new one on. Don't worry about it!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #13  

Height: 5'8.5"

Mine has broken for ages... not the seat itself but it is loose on one side. I have been told they are easy to fix but I am SO bad at anything vaguely resembling mechanical stuff LOL. But maybe I need to go buy one and see what I can do!! Or just try to put the one I have back on???
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 05:34 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Toilet seats are SIMPLE. Find where it is attached to the toilet. This will look like a covered plastic cap. Open up the cap to reveal the vinyl screw. The "bolt" is located directly underneath, and should be funny shaped. This is called a "locking bolt" as it will catch on the toilet and hold it in place so you don't have to touch it while working from above. Get a flat-headed screwdriver (looks like a blade -- sometimes I even use a knife from my tablewear!), put it in place and turn to tighten. That's it! Give it a shot - home renos are FUN!!!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:28 PM   #15  
SuperFreak

S/C/G: 330/319/150

Height: 5"5

We cracked the new toliet seat we got as well. It was a cheap seat so we need to replace to. You would laugh at our seat, until we get the replacement it has black duct tape in the spot that its cracked..
I had to it pinched me something firece.
It happens, dont feel one bit bad. And like everyone has said its one of the easy fixer uppers you will have to do to replace it. Dont even need to call anyone on fixing the seat thats one you can do yourself and dont worry it happens sometimes its just the seats time to be replaced.
MorticiaAddams is offline   Reply With Quote