Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-25-2006, 01:55 AM   #46  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydaisy
my comments about suing are only in relation to other peoples comments, never did I advocate it.
LOL neither did I!! I cracked a JOKE!

And I have not seen any hostility in the thread... it's a good discussion.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 04-25-2006 at 02:01 AM.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:18 AM   #47  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I'm with you Misti, and while you sue Sara Lee, I'll sue KFC, LOL. What a big gripe fest this turned out to be.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:19 AM   #48  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle
I'm with you Misti, and while you sue Sara Lee, I'll sue KFC, LOL.
LOL yah I could make a BIG list of people to go after!!
Old 04-25-2006, 06:24 AM   #49  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

I want to jump in for a second. I think Meeegan and Sotyppcial have make some interesting points regarding lunches served in our schools.

On an individual basis, if I had a child who ate unhealthy at home and then at school I would have only myself to blame. But we have to look at the bigger picture. Our school lunches ARE contributing to child obesity. And what is worse WE are paying for a lot of it. Our tax dollars make it possible for children on free and reduced lunches to eat pizza and tater tots in the same meal. Believe me when I say our kids lunches are horrible. I sit with students who regularly have this for lunch. And even if their parents and teachers had taught them to make better choices unless they brought their own lunch they are stuck eating that. Go through a lunch line and see how good your selection would be in most schools. I can tell you at my school it is nearly impossible to get a healthy lunch.

Sunday I went to an outlet mall with my husband. We hadn't planned on staying out late but the time slipped away from us. He was hungry and ordered a pizza stuffed with spinach and broccoli, cheese etc. It was so fattening. I glanced around the food court to see if there was anything for me to eat.. nothing unless I wanted a salad made with iceburg lettuce.

Ever travel in the US and try to get a decent meal? I have.
Do you have the same problems eating healthy when traveling abroad? I don't.

We have friends that come to visit regularly from overseas. They are amazed.. I mean really amazed and shocked when we travel here together.

Individually we have little right to blame or sue.. but as a nation WHAT ARE WE DOING TO OURSELVES AND OUR CHILDREN?????
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #50  
Determined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde
I want to jump in for a second. I think Meeegan and Sotyppcial have make some interesting points regarding lunches served in our schools.

On an individual basis, if I had a child who ate unhealthy at home and then at school I would have only myself to blame. But we have to look at the bigger picture. Our school lunches ARE contributing to child obesity. And what is worse WE are paying for a lot of it. Our tax dollars make it possible for children on free and reduced lunches to eat pizza and tater tots in the same meal. Believe me when I say our kids lunches are horrible. I sit with students who regularly have this for lunch. And even if their parents and teachers had taught them to make better choices unless they brought their own lunch they are stuck eating that. Go through a lunch line and see how good your selection would be in most schools. I can tell you at my school it is nearly impossible to get a healthy lunch.

Sunday I went to an outlet mall with my husband. We hadn't planned on staying out late but the time slipped away from us. He was hungry and ordered a pizza stuffed with spinach and broccoli, cheese etc. It was so fattening. I glanced around the food court to see if there was anything for me to eat.. nothing unless I wanted a salad made with iceburg lettuce.

Ever travel in the US and try to get a decent meal? I have.
Do you have the same problems eating healthy when traveling abroad? I don't.

We have friends that come to visit regularly from overseas. They are amazed.. I mean really amazed and shocked when we travel here together.

Individually we have little right to blame or sue.. but as a nation WHAT ARE WE DOING TO OURSELVES AND OUR CHILDREN?????
Jayde - I agree with you. As a nation I think we have to take a proactive stance on educating our children. Unfortunately, not all parents will, so I wish their was some kind of basic nutrition education system, and not just in wealthier school districts. I live where I live and drive an hour to work strictly because the school here is better for my child. The schools around where I work are horrendous. I work in an urban pediatric ER and it is not uncommon to treat a 7 year old who was "jumped" at school. Just last week EMS responded to a call for an injured child and found the 5 and 7 year old drinking out of the toilet because there was no drink (except beer) in the house. While that's obviously an extreme situation, it does call to attention that all children aren't being treated well or given the education they need. That's a whole other debate, but I do think if we are paying taxes, public schools should provide the basics in education.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #51  
Determined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
LOL neither did I!! I cracked a JOKE!

And I have not seen any hostility in the thread... it's a good discussion.

Misti - I apologize, I totally didn't take it that way. Maybe I shouldn't respond to messages after midnight.
happydaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 PM   #52  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Jayde - I agree with you. As a nation I think we have to take a proactive stance on educating our children. Unfortunately, not all parents will, so I wish their was some kind of basic nutrition education system, and not just in wealthier school districts..

Quote:
but I do think if we are paying taxes, public schools should provide the basics in education.
YUP... Have you ever taught a class of third graders about nutrition and good choices only to send them to the cafeteria to eat "fast food".. the only thing available and paid for by our tax dollars (my school is 95% free lunch).

It makes no sense to even have health as part of our required curriculum only to set an example by providing junk food for lunch and cutting out time for recess and PE.

But I digress ... the original post was about "super size-me"... back to our regularly scheduled program.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:14 PM   #53  

Quote:
Misti - I apologize, I totally didn't take it that way. Maybe I shouldn't respond to messages after midnight.
No problem! I am sorry if my comments came across as sarcastic. Cybercommunication does not always come across as intended!
Old 04-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #54  
Princess to Be

S/C/G: 267/270/175

I found the VHS version of this in the bargin bin at Big Lots. It's a good documentary and it does make one rethink eating McDonalds or any fast food EVER again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
I pushed my exercise back 2 hours just to watch the documentry 'Super Size Me' and boy am I glad I did. I missed the last half an hour cuz I feel asleep (opps - I really wanted to know what happened to the guy too!) but I learned a lot from watching that and it will really make me think twice about eating fast food.

Anyway I just wanted to say that all of you need to watch this - I know for me it just added to my motivation to exercise and eat healthy and clean.

But it is time to exercise - just wanted to get in my 2 cents.
Tiffany_Bracelet is offline   Reply With Quote