Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 01:12 AM   #16  

Default Good night!

I am turning in for the night and feeling good about my accomplishments. I didn't get any exercise in but for the third day in a row I did not ingest any white processed foods!

It has become easier as each day passes and I am feeling more energetic. I know that by the end of the week my metabolism is going to be rockin' and it will show up on the scale. I am very excited.

Red - you are right on about the inches - noticed the suit I had on today was not skin tight and I believe my tummy is a tad bit less flabby! And please rant whenever you need to - you are such a great support to all of us we are hungry for opportunity to mentor to you. I am with you on the losing and gaining of a few pounds and how frustrating that can be. You hang in there.

Night all and have a great Wednesday!

Cat

241/230 on 11-4-03/140
Old 11-05-2003, 10:16 AM   #17  

Good morning!!!!

I did 45min on the treadmill last night followed by 25min upperboddy weights.

redballon - you are so right. It is much harder to loose than to maintain. It's also much harder to maintain than to gain!!! That's why I'm back at loosing. I've reached my goal a few times, just to turn around and gain 15-20lbs again. Not this time!! When I reach goal, I'm giving away all of my bigger size clothes so that I'll have to maintain or not have anything to wear!!!

mscat - I'm glad to hear that that it's becoming easier!!!

MNJ - great job on the squats. They definitly make a person sore!!

Sandy - thanks for being so sweet and supportive to everyone!!
Old 11-05-2003, 03:42 PM   #18  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Wink revelations

Well, I really stuck to plan yesterday. Actually I didn't get all the meals in but the total was under 1800. If I can just get mini-meals in mind so I can whip them together without much thought I can do this! Actually, though knowing what a fine line we must walk in order to see consistent progress is daunting it's also at the same time empowering to really realize this because then I can say, "Ok, are you going to do what's needed or not?!" instead of always moaning about poor me and why oh why despite all the effort doesn't the fat come off. Yesterday I ran 5K and worked out heavy with weights and yet I didn't feel starved with the food I ate. If I can do it one day I can do it one more, and one more and one more.

Sandy, thanks for your support. Yes, I'm so glad to be able to come here and tell you all about my ups and downs. I wish I had something like this for other areas of my life as well. At least now the people around me aren't being subjected to the weight woes!

mscat, thank you as well and I can always use the support. I am always in need of it even if if I don't say so. I guess that's just my keep-your-chin-up, put-a-happy-face-on style but it often means I don't get the encouragement I so need. As for your loose suit, that's great! Write it down so you can look back and give yourself that pat on the back you deserve when things don't look so rosy.

Southern butterfly, 45 mins on the treadmill! Looks like we were on the same wavelength! That's how long it took me to walk/jog the 5K and I haven't done that in a long time. I hear you on the bigger clothes. I've gotten rid of them too. The thing is I still have smaller clothes and I want to fit into them so I can get rid of them too just because I don't want them. Right now I feel like they're waiting for me. But I really want to say, Ok, I'm here and now I don't want to wear you and then buy brandnew ones! I want to put all the things with old memories behind me!

Last edited by redballoon; 11-05-2003 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-05-2003, 05:08 PM   #19  

Default Scale Withdrawal!!!

Just checking in to say I did not get on the scale this morning and boy was it hard! I am actually having scale dt's. All I can think about is WWTSS (What would the scale say?) Help!!!

I am so afraid to go home and face the scale But I am going to be strong and keep saying over and over " the scale is my enemy - The tape measure is my friend" I think I'm obsessing - I'm digressing because I'm stressing I think I'm silly and delirious from hunger -

Got to eat more today - I have only had mini carrots, 4 hard-boiled egg whites, an an apple[ But I did a 25 minute treadmill workout -this a.m. which is the 3rd TM workout! Now I have to do one more ab workout and I am done for the week!

Southern Butterfly - you go girl - I am trying to be as diligent as you!

Have a great evening everyone!

Cat 241/230 on 11-4-03/140
Old 11-05-2003, 05:23 PM   #20  
Never give up

Thumbs up hang tough!

mscat! The scale wants to swing you around by the tail (or so to speak). Don't let it! It's a quick fix that doesn't nourish you. The tape measure speaks wisdom. It measures what you and other people see and that's what counts, that's where you efforts show up. The scale is like a fair-weather friend. It only comes around with a smile when you don't need it. Hang in there! If you must see those numbers remember they are nothing to rely on, nothing with which you can entrust your fragile feelings of hope and the need for encouragement. The numbers are those who would turn their back on you in times of need!
Old 11-05-2003, 06:00 PM   #21  

Height: 5'1"

Angry

Hello everyone!!

I woke up soooo sore this morning that I decided that I do not want to do my squats today. Then James told me that I should really stretch more before doing them and it might ease up my uncomfortableness. So tonight I will try that...
We did walk around the mall for about an hour, that seemed to help my legs a little. It's been so long since I've done "good" squats!! I used to have help with the Smith Machine at the gym.
I've noticed that lunges are easier. I'm not sure why.....

Mscat-- I'm going to agree with Red....the numbers on the scale are hard to count on. Last month my scale didn't budge, but the size in my jeans did. I believe the measuring tape is a much better friend to have. Why don't you try to put the scale up in the closet for a little while. Hide it from your view.
You have to realize that the muscle is toning up and it does weigh more than fat. Which is why a lot of people including myself, get upset when the scale doesn't move. And muscles are so much nicer to look at. I'm sure you'll have people noticing your change, even if you're not seeing it on the scale. Does all that make sense? Don't worry... you're doing great! And you've become an inspiration to me seeing all that you've been doing along with all that's going on in your life!! Keep it up!! I'm cheering you on!!

Red--5k!! How great is that?! And working w/weights...I used to love working out in the gym lifting weights. I'm afraid that once I get back in there, that I'm going to be so lost!! But I'm just going to have to start back from scratch.... what's the point in moaning about it? Just do it right?! My biggest problem when going to the gym was getting in the cardio. All I wanted to do was lift. That's going to change too.

S'Fly--45mins. on the treadmill! Do you jog or power walk? I used to hate jogging... but once I got my endurance up it became easier. I never believed that... but having done it, I know it's true. 20mins. is the most I've jogged though. I would like to see myself doing 45mins.

Well ladies--it looks like we're all doing great. You all keep me motivated. Just need to let you know that. Your words of encouragement make my day!! You all take care and hi to all I've missed.....
Sandy, Cherie.....who else??? Everyone!!

Marti
Old 11-06-2003, 11:06 AM   #22  

I got up this morning and went to the gym. It was hard, but I knew that I will not go tonight after I get my hair cut. I did another 45mins on the treadmill.

MNJ - I've started jogging again. I love to jog and can't wait to start running. I usually warm up for 7 minutes, then jog at 5.2-5.3mph, then cool down for 5-7minutes. So, technically, I'm only jogging for 31-34mins. I've also been throwing in a couple of sprints at 6mph to try and up my intensity and endurance.

mscat - redballon's right - the scales are bad, bad, bad. I still get on them everymorning. However, the tape measure is what I judge myself by.

redballon - great going with the exerise, and you're right....If I can do it one day, then I can do it one more, and one more, and one more...
Old 11-06-2003, 07:30 PM   #23  

Default Sucess is Best!

Just lost a very long post to you all but it was getting sad and depressing. Obviously it needs to remain in my personal journal so I am just going to report the good stuff.

I have completed 4 of 3 treadmill workouts I committed to; 3 of 3 ab workouts; 5 days of at least 76 oz or more of water; 5 days of abstaining from white processed foods, and I have not been on the scale for 2 whole days
Took my measurements - what a scary and depressing activity but now I have a baseline to compare when the scale is not making me happy.

Going to what will probably be our last marriage counseling session tonight. We are getting results of an assessment we took but our minds are pretty much made up that it is over despite what the assessment indicates or what the shrink suggests. Wish me luck on holding on continuing to hold on to my dignity - I haven't cried in over 3 days!!!

My favorite saying is "A fool will lose tomorrow looking back on what happened yesterday." So I am ready to kick butt, get healthy and in shape for the possibilities that await me in the future!

Southern Butterfly - you are awesome - I can barely jog through half of my session!

OK Red - I'm using your words of inspiration to help me stave off the scale until Sunday night

Success to everyone
Cat
241/230 on 11-4-03/141
Old 11-06-2003, 09:28 PM   #24  
Never give up

Talking Doing great!!

Well, I've had two excellent more days here. Working out as well, another 5K jogging (with some walking) on the treadmill. I'm really starting to wake up to how much food was going down the hatch and boy, oh, boy, can I pack it in! So I've been successful on my challenge since I declared it (I think it was Tuesday here already). Yeah!

M.N.J., How are your squats going? Are you adding any weight or just bodyweight for now? I wouldn't worry about working with weights again. If you used to do it you'll get right back into it. It's such a good feeling to ''come home'' to the weights when I've been away from them. I guess I'm addicted. And I'm glad we help you out. The feeling is totally mutual!!

Southern, to you for another 45 minutes on the treadmill. Now there's a grind I bet you're going to love! If I've calculated the kilometer/miles right it sounds like we're going about the same pace, sprints included. I make up tapes and when the fast real hard rock songs come on it feels great to sprint. There was great music going in the gym yesterday and it really got me into the weight training too. Music is so important!

mscat, sorry to hear about the lost post. If you want to write long and depressing send me a private message. I can take it and if you want to tell somebody, tell me! You are doing SO good with your workouts and food. Remember, there's nothing scary about measurements no matter how high the numbers or even if you have to use two tape measures. Scary is when the numbers stay the same (or go up). You're doing great. Keep it up! And yes, good luck on the rough times you're going through. Remember, you're in the tunnel now but you DO see the light. I know about the crying. Sometimes you get sick of it and though it's good to cry sometimes it's also good to keep yourself together sometimes too. Do you write a journal? They can be lifesavers. I absolutely LOVE that saying. I got shivers reading it, honest! Power to you!

Last edited by redballoon; 11-06-2003 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:40 PM   #25  

Angry

Hello ladies--

I needed to post that I did my squats! Still sore as but I'm sure my muscles will appreciate it later. Red.. I don't use any weights while I squat here at home. But I used to at the gym. How depressing... I talk about all the stuff "I used" to do at the gym. Got to get that membership back!!

Cat-- I'm with Red.. you can PM me anytime. I don't mind. I find it always helps to let things out. Just remember we are here for you and you can lean on us ANYTIME.

S'fly--Your determination is INCREDIBLE! The way you plan around things to get your workouts in. Fantastic!! Keep it up and you'll exceed your goal!!

Ok ladies... my sweet little sick girl is wanting me to get off here so I better get! You all take care!!

Marti
Old 11-07-2003, 10:19 AM   #26  

Default JUMPING ON BOARD

THIS IS GREAT
ALTHOUGH TODAY IS FRIDAY I WILL
WRITE DOWN MY GOALS FOR THE NXT 14 DAYS
I WILL EXERCISE 4X A WEEK AND MAKE SURE WEIGHT TRAINING
IS INCLUDED AT LEAST 2X
I WILL MEDITATE 3X A WEEK 10-15 MINUTES TO HELP RE- ENERGIZE MY THOUGHTS GOALS AND KEEP ME CALM AND IN THE MOMENT.
I WILL ONLY HAVE WINE/OR ANY OTHER ALCOHOL DRINK ON 2X A WEEK AND LIMIT IT TO 3 DRINK MAXIMUM. WEEKENDS ONLY BUT IT WILL BE INCLUDED IN MY CALORIE INTAKE.
I WILL EAT A TOTAL OF 8400 CALORIES A WEEK.
I WILL JOURNAL ALL OF MY EATING, SUPPLEMENTS,MEDITATIONS AND EXERCISE ON A DAILY BASIS.
CURRENT WEIGHT 209
NXT STAGE GOAL 199
FINAL GOAL 155
YES IT IS A LONG ROAD BUT I AM READY TO WALK THE WALK
TREAD THE TREADMILL AND EAT CORRECTLY SO I CAN GET THERE.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:38 PM   #27  

Default Day 5 - So Far So Successful!

Checking in this afternoon to report my progress - 30 min. treadmill this a.m., ab workout completed (tried pushups the men's way - ouch!), no scale, great breakfast of warm pear slices and 3 hb egg whites! I have gone beyond my exercise challenge and still maintaining my no white processed foods challenge.

Getting anxious about the scale but fighting those urges thanks to the support I have here. I believe the tape measure will tell the real story even if the scale does not. My jean skirt definitely feels different today.

Counseling session was not as productive as we had hoped and we had an explosion afterward. I am having difficulty stopping the beating of dead horse and trying to salvage something when I am the only one who wants to invest the time and effort. I am going through the stages of death. I know that the final stage, acceptance, is around the corner. I am grateful that nothing that has happened between us has kept me from pursuing my personal goals.

KD Rules - Welcome - you will find so much support here for whatever your goals are!

M.N.J. - Thanks for the offer - I hope you won't regret it if I take you up on that. How would I go about PMing you?

Red - Thanks - I am writing in the journals everyday now and yes it does help. I really let it all hang out including gorey details. I actually feel better and quite often get comments from other members that are supportive and helpful.

Hope everyone has a happy and successful Friday!

Cat
241/230 on 11-4-03/140

"A fool will lose tomorrow looking back on yesterday."
Old 11-07-2003, 05:10 PM   #28  
Never give up

Smile making choices

I had another good day on Friday and wrote down everything and actually counted calories where I could, estimated where I couldn't. The important thing, though, was that I made good choices while I was out eating with a friend and after for drinks I limited myself to two glasses of beer (and that's a lot less than I normally down!) So, I'm meeting my goal for this week and feeling good about it.

mscat, you are doing so well! Please keep it up. You're an inspiration for me. I find that even if I'm doing well I start to lose momentum after a few days. It's strange but even if things are going well I do this. I suppose it's because I feel alone in my success and that feels just as bad, if not worse, than feeling connected with others in my failures. So, when I hear that you're doing so well too it makes me want to continue doing well. Does that make sense?

I know just where you're coming from with the "trying to salvage something" feeling, but if, as you say, you're the only one wanting to invest the time and effort, STOP IT! I just went through about 5 years of this and in the end wound up alone anyhow. I should have stopped long ago and invested all that beautiful effort, all that precious time in someone/something that would have returned it. Many people don't care that they're wasting their lives. I've come to the decision that I do! If you are able to stick to your personal goals, you can do this one too. Stop making excuses for one of the most important areas of your life. Really, these are the reasons we want to look and feel good, not just to look and feel good but because of what looking and feeling good brings to our relationships with others. Why would you invest in a 0% interest package??!?!?

kdrules, welcome! Looks like you've got some great goals going there. Good luck to you and please check in often for support and to give us all support. Your final goal is NOT that far away. It's upon you, with every day, every hour that you act on your immediate goals. Rock on!

M.N.J., don't be depressed over having done all the things in the past. Think of it as experience that you can draw on at any time you please. Say, I USED to do that so I can do it AGAIN and will! It seems like you've just gotten yourself wrapped up in some cobwebs between then and now and now you're once again brushing them off. You're doing so well. It's kind of like a butterfly that went into a cocoon and is now coming out again!

Last edited by redballoon; 11-07-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:52 PM   #29  

Kdrules--Welcome to our challenge!! You will find this place to be helpful in reaching your goals. The ladies here are fantastic and they all inpire me, and I know they will you too.

Cat--If you want to PM me, you can find one of my post, and underneath it all you will see a row of information and PM is one of them. Or you can go up to your User Cp,, and PM me from there. Don't hesitate if you're needing to talk!! You're doing so good right now and I'm very proud of you. I'm sorry you're going through some difficult stuff in your life... and we're definately here for you if you need us!! Just remember that!

Red--You put it all into words so nicely!! That is exactly how it is. Just brushing off the cobwebs right now!!

Ok ladies... I've done my squats today. Still ache, but it's eventually gotta go away....

You all take care
Marti
Old 11-09-2003, 08:09 AM   #30  

Default [COLOR=blue]Reconsidering Weighing In?[/COLOR]

Sorry I did not post yesterday but I read all of yours. Thanks for all the words of encouragement regarding my challenges and my personal trauma. We have had an interesting development that I can't even put into words yet, not even in my journal. I need to do some soul searching on it.

Meanwhile, I did not get to workout yesterday because we started working on the leaves at 11:00 in the a.m. and did not finish until 4:00 p.m. That made up for the workout! I am so sore today - I mean everything hurts. I am really concerned that I am not going to be able to workout today and I don't want to get out of the habit.

My biggest dilemma though is deciding if I am going to weigh-in or not. Before this week's challenge, I considered myself to be a scale addict. Now I am practically scale phobic. I took my measurements and discovered a 4.5" loss. However, since I can't really see it, or feel it significantly in my clothes, and I know muscle weighs more than fat, I am afraid the scale wont be encouraging.

I may have to go another week with out it!

Will check in later - have a great day everyone!

Cat
241/230 on 11-4-03/141
Closed Thread