Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 02:38 PM   #16  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Smile Dr. Phil's Website

Jana... Here is the website for Dr. Phil... http://www.drphil.com/

Maybe you can get some information you need there
Old 09-17-2003, 07:10 PM   #17  
We can do this..and will!

My understanding was that he was doing this every Monday for the next ten months.....I had a good day....I want to buy his book...haven't done that yet.....I did take the readiness test on his website and scored an 18....I guess I am ready....Good health to all!
Old 09-17-2003, 08:41 PM   #18  

Hi All,

Sorry, didn't mean to start a controversy over the whole $30 a tape deal. I don't begrudge Dr. Phil making money or anything....just that I don't like the idea of payine $30 for what I could have copied for free.

I agree with the 13th guest being asked....kept seeing her in the audience, her face, and thought how desperate she looks. Guess that's like a lot of us. The show will be on monday for those of you who aren't sure.....I DEFINATELY WILL HAVE A TAPE IN!

He's giving it 10 months and I thought...that's 80 lbs, Deb, if you lose just 2 a week. I can do that!

Hope everyone is having a great week. I'm worried about the hurricane that's coming in....wonder how much calories you burn bailing water?

Deb
Old 09-17-2003, 09:58 PM   #19  

Wink

Quote:
MAUVAISROUX:
There are some people who say he is just in this for the money but I really I think he wants to help people. What he was saying on the shows was practical (i.e) finding your suitable weight, working on the reasons your are overweight etc. Most diets don't do that and are a quick (mostly temporary) fix. Hopefully this challenge will help people mentally, emotionally and physically
That's okay Deb... I think the $30.00 tapes made for an interesting run of conversation

I THINK I WAS GOING MORE WITH WHAT MAUV SAID... It wasn't so much the cost of the tapes but unspoken thoughts about $ --- money is a very sensitive topic, you know. You were just the "in" for the conversation on others minds (my mind too)... but I actually found it neat to know what people thought. Didn't you? Kinda exciting

You are right! $30.00 is allot of $ to pay! I know I wouldn't pay it, but then again... I tape the shows

HAVE A GOOD NIGHT EVERYONE!
Old 09-18-2003, 08:27 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Good Morning Ladies! Sorry I havent been around for a few days!!! Busy! Busy! Busy!

As for $30 A tape... it is high but if you look at the cost that most talk shows charge for the tapes it is about the same.... I think they do this to really discourage people from buying copies of the show.... they know that you could record it and I think it is more of a headache to them to do this and therefore they offer it but dont really expect people to take them up on this.....

As for Dr Phil making money... he is and he deserves it... I mean I didnt go to years and years of college for his degree.... I didnt have a private practice for 30 years where I dealt with this.... we are paying for his expertise.... and he earned it.... I mean I am about to bust my rear studying to get my license in real estate... should I then sell someones house for free.... if I learn all the legal issues and fair housing acts and the marketing, etc. of selling a house and I sell your house then I should earn something for my time and commitment.... so should he....

I also read that alot (if not all) of the profits from all the weight loss stuff he is doing is going to fight childhood obesity.... so he is giving back.......

More power to him!

Anyway, I am off to work! Hope all is well!
Old 09-18-2003, 09:20 AM   #21  

Angry Thrusday

Good Morning Angel! Good to see you! So you are studying hard are ya --- Good for you!!! I wish you well getting that license in real estate!! Heard that it really pays off when you finally get it as long as you do your homework on the homes and area you are selling in.

On Dr. Phil ~ So good to hear you agree... I hear that also! That he was supporting Children in weight loss. Last year... he had a mom & daughter on and you could see the wheels turning in his eyes when that little one touched his heart!! He has such a love for children - a big teddy bear!

Have a great day!!
Much Success in your day...
and for us all!
Old 09-18-2003, 10:14 AM   #22  

Just wanted to let you all know...

I am working through the books audits and quizzes in my journal here. If you click on the "web" button below you can get to my journal. Just in case anyone is interested.
Old 09-18-2003, 11:40 AM   #23  
GmaTo8

Thank you so much for the info! I, too, will be taping the Monday shows.

Jana
Old 09-18-2003, 11:54 AM   #24  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I agree that $30.00 for a tape is pricey but they have to transfer from the film they use for television to VHS format and it is expensive to do that. My DH's band was on a local television station and asked if they could have a tape of the broadcast. They told him it would cost $50.00 and that was for a 30 minute performance! Fortunately I had videotaped it for him so we had a copy without shelling out the big bucks for it

When I was talking about Dr. Phil and money I was speaking about his detractors who are saying he is just jumping on the weight loss bandwagon - a lot of them say he is just cashing in. Even if you don't buy his book but watch the shows I think it will help people. Also it will bring awareness to North America that this has become an epidemic, awareness of our own and our children's health and also of how overweight people in our society are treated. If it helps make people healthier and/or more sensitive to how they treat other people in general then I say

My heart totally broke for some of the people on his past shows who told stories of how rudely they were treated, made fun of or simply ignored because of their weight. No one should be treated like that regardless of age, race, religion, sex or size and no one has the right to treat people like that!

Stepping off my podium now... Sorry but that is just how I feel
Old 09-18-2003, 12:40 PM   #25  

Angry Mauvaisroux

Quote:
My heart totally broke for some of the people on his past shows who told stories of how rudely they were treated, made fun of or simply ignored because of their weight. No one should be treated like that regardless of age, race, religion, sex or size and no one has the right to treat people like that!
MAUV ~ I just couldn't agree with you more! Maybe people watching Dr. Phil (that don't have a weight problems or issues) will become more caring toward others who do (!) after seeing his shows! It's terrible to be judged - especially when people don't take the time to get to know one another first.

Have a good day!
Old 09-18-2003, 02:13 PM   #26  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

I have been reading Dr. Phil's new book for several days now. I'm trying to take it slow and really hear what the book is saying.
I've been impressed so far. Maybe it is stuff I've been hearing for years, but at this particular time in my life maybe I'm open too it.
I've often wondered why I eat the way I do. Why food is so darn important to me, well this book certainly does deal with that. I really like the four question that he poses about the emotions that evoke some of my eating binges.

1. Is it true?
2. Does it serve my best interest?
3. Does it advance or protect my health?
4. Does it help met my weight-management goal?

The goal thing is another thing that has really caught my attention. I have about 150 lbs to get rid of and that always seems so insurmountable to me. I always set my self up for failure because it was just so much and didn't figure that I would ever be able to do. But the goal setting this is something that makes it seem more attainable. I don't figure this will be a passing fad for me, because at this point in my life it is do or die.
Can't just sit on the side-lines and wait till I'm dead! LOL
Nancy
Old 09-18-2003, 05:22 PM   #27  
We can do this..and will!

Hey Gang...I just bought the book this morning and can't wait to get started. I am just hoping that somehow I will be able to get motivated to change my habits....It would be awful to fall off the bandwagon, or miss out on this opportunity. I just keep telling myself that if I don't do this now, along with those 13 people, that when I sit down to watch that success show 10 months from now, that I will feel so hopeless if I too, am not successful;....so that is spurring me on right now.
Old 09-18-2003, 06:18 PM   #28  

Hi All!

Well, glad I got a conversation jumping about something! Been busy with a new job so I haven't read as much of the book as I'd like. I have been sticking to my diet better though....better than I have in a long time. Pretty happy about that.

One thing that struck me, from the half of show I did get , was the woman who said she was afraid to give up her excuse. That being overweight was a reason for failure and that if she lost all the weight she'd have no excuse. It would be all on her. "People don't like me because I'm fat" is much easier to deal with than "People don't like me". Not really sure I'm making sense...but I know that my weight serves as a convenient scapegoat for many things. Guess I need to work on defining what purpose it serves in order to successfully lose it.

Enough of my rambling! Hope everyone gets through the hurricane okay

Deb
Old 09-19-2003, 09:13 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 245/245/130

Height: 5'2"

Hey everyone!

I am getting so excited about starting this on Monday.... I havent finished the reading assignment for this Monday yet because I have been reading all the real estate laws.... FUN Fun!

I think I will post a thread on the reading board where all of us that are going to do the book club can introduce ourselves....

It sounds like we are going to have a great crowd!
Old 09-19-2003, 09:33 AM   #30  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Angel do you work in a law office? Or are you studinying to become a realtor?

Just curious as I work in a law office. I do civil litigation, family law and estates and a little bit of criminal law.
Closed Thread