Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-07-2015, 05:14 PM   #1  

Question Is my eating habit healthy? Is it beneficial or harmful for my growing?

Hi,

I am a 14 year old boy weighing around 130 lbs. My goal weight is around 115-119 lbs. I have an average body with a slight bit of a stomach. I eat around 1,000 calories burn around 500-600 calories every day, most of which comes from walking an average of 5 miles a day and running for about 20-30 minutes at 8 mph/4 mph one minute alternating intervals.

My question is, if I eat around 1,000 calories every day and burn around 500-600 calories, does that mean my body only has around 400-500 calories to work with/grow/perform bodily functions? Also, I still want to grow, so is this beneficial or harmful for this?

Thanks,
Ryan267
Ryan267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:26 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

Hi. As a Mom of a 13 year old boy I would tell you that you need to be eating more. You're still growing and need 2,000 cals a day for proper nutrition but eat good foods like fruits and veggies, meat and dairy. Stay away from junk and soda as much as possible...and continue exercising, exercise is good for you. Jogging 5 miles a day is plenty! You are still growing taller so you will get thinner as you near 18 because your weight will even out with your size.

Last edited by novangel; 08-07-2015 at 07:27 PM.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:06 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
Hi. As a Mom of a 13 year old boy I would tell you that you need to be eating more. You're still growing and need 2,000 cals a day for proper nutrition but eat good foods like fruits and veggies, meat and dairy. Stay away from junk and soda as much as possible...and continue exercising, exercise is good for you. Jogging 5 miles a day is plenty! You are still growing taller so you will get thinner as you near 18 because your weight will even out with your size.
Hi, thanks for the advice! One thing may have been miscommunicated though: I walk an average of five miles a day, and that's a collective amount based on the number of steps I take. The speed of which I walk this five miles a day is not consistent and therefore there's really no endurance test in any of it. That's why I feel like even though I walked five miles I feel like I did nothing and leads me to want to run the amount specified above. Thanks, though!
Old 08-08-2015, 11:06 AM   #4  

If you walk 5 miles a day doing your normal activities and it doesn't raise your heart rate for a prolonged time, you shouldn't count it as exercise. It's normal daily activity and your body is very efficient at doing it so it burns fewer calories. 2000 calories is appropriate for your age. You're still growing!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:06 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
If you walk 5 miles a day doing your normal activities and it doesn't raise your heart rate for a prolonged time, you shouldn't count it as exercise. It's normal daily activity and your body is very efficient at doing it so it burns fewer calories. 2000 calories is appropriate for your age. You're still growing!
Hi, sorry for the lateness, but thanks for the info!

-Ryan267
Old 08-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #6  

yes you should not count regular walking, and you should definetly eat more, how long are you trying to lose weight like this ?
Annie98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #7  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Hi there, Ryan!

Do you have access to a pediatrician or nutritionist? Losing weight at your age is much different from losing weight for adults. It is SO important for you to get enough calories, vitamins, and nutrients.

I know with younger children, and I think it makes sense for teens, too, the goal is not to LOSE weight, but instead to hold your current weight steady until you "grow into it." For example, you could shoot up an inch or two and find your 130 lbs is perfect.

I don't know what recommendations are for weight lifting at such a young age, but doing some push-ups, squats, and lunges with just your body weight (not holding weights or Dumbbells) will build some muscle, which can contribute to a nice shape and will burn more calories even while at rest.

Please do not cut calories too much -- your body and mind are growing and you need to be healthy!!!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote