Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/190/125

Height: 5'1"

Default Sharing weight loss journey and when people start to see a "change"

So I've been on Medifast for over a month now, lost about 13-14lbs so far. I've only told a select few about my weight loss journey with Medifast. To others, I just tell them I am trying to eat healthier and lose weight. Why? for some reason, I feel like I will be judged: for investing so much money into a "program" when I could possible do it myself by eating healthy and exercising. I just reached a point where I needed help and "forced" motivation. I don't want to have to explain that to people who are not going to understand.

Over the weekend, we had a family function to attend. My husband went first, while I went to my weekly weigh in and followed shortly after. Upon arriving, his aunts greeted me at the door and looked me up and down. Then said: "You look like you lost weight! You look great! You must share the secret! and why didn't you take "so&so" with you? She can lose some weight too! Your husband told us you paid a lot of money for them to teach you how to eat?"

I was completely shocked. My response was: "I needed help. I can't take anyone who doesn't want help"

Deep inside I was thrown off guard and hurt that my husband would share with his family when I wasn't ready to. We had talked about it when I first started, and agreed that we wouldn't tell most people until I was ready. I did end up telling him later that day, how I felt. He said that when he arrived, everyone asked where I was at and he told them I was on my way to get weighed in because I am on a program to lose weight and that led to more prying from family members.

I just felt like I was a carnival freak. Everyone looked at me and asked a lot of questions. Some that I wasn't ready to answer. My husband did apologize for not thinking of me before speaking. Like a typical angry wife, I told him he could've just told everyone I was running an errand or had a dr's appointment. He said he just didn't think it through.

I feel like I'm still not ready to share with everyone in my life. However, now that the cat's out of the bag and news will spread, I don't know if I should just let that go and be open about it.

More and more people are starting to notice a change. I've received several comments from coworkers, friends and family this past week.

Should I just let it go?
ladyvwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:08 PM   #2  
Call me NNS!

S/C/G: 232.6/169.4/149

Height: 5'5"

Even though "the cat's out of the bag" you still don't have to talk about it if you don't want. People will ask questions, but you don't have to answer. Don't push yourself any further into an uncomfortable situation! The reality is that you're in control if you want to be.

Your husband made a mistake, but it has not all come undone. Think up some canned responses now, before anyone asks you questions, so you know what to say when it comes up.
nonameslob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

I would just say, "Thank you!" if someone gives you a compliment. If someone asks you for more info, just honestly reply, "I'm not ready to talk about it yet." And then possibly add however you're feeling, e.g. "Maybe I'll talk about it when I've hit my goal" or turn the question back to them, "Are you thinking about starting a weight loss program?"

I can talk about what I'm doing all day long so I have sort of the opposite problem. I need to know when to shut up. When somebody asks me what I'm doing, I'll tell them the Reader's Digest version is that I gave up Diet Coke and am eating less and exercising more. And then I ask them if they want more details - and typically the overweight people who are asking do want more info - so then I'll get into the details, i.e. the supplements I'm taking, the specific foods I'm eating and avoiding, my exercise plan, etc.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:51 PM   #4  

I am with you, besides my husband, I haven't shared with anybody else that I am trying to lose weight, although he has, although we talked about that too..... I find it easier not to share because I feel more pressure and feel people are looking for that change. It's uncomfortable to me. I agree, just thank people for noticing and have some answers ready for when it comes up. The more you lose, the more obvious it will be to those around and the questions and comments are sure to come. I don't think you need to be specific about your plan if you don't want to share that part, just saying you are eating better and exercising is enough information to share.
Raining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/160/140

Height: 5'4

^^^I didn't get a single comment from anyone but my husband and my sister (both of whom knew I was trying to lose) until I lost a full 25 pounds. Although I think I might have gotten a few "You look great!"s prior to 25 pounds, I didn't actually get questions until I hit that magic 25 number. These days, as soon as I see someone who hasn't seen me in awhile, I almost always get questioned about what I'm doing. I'm pretty sure it'll be coming up a lot once my kids head back to school and the other moms and teachers see me.
Treasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:15 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

If someone comments, just say, "Thank you. I'm eating smaller portions and healthier foods, and I'm exercising." That's it. No need to tell them what program you're on. The more casual you are about it, the less intriguing it will be to them. It seems people always want to know what one's "secret" is to weight loss. They usually aren't interested in hearing what they've heard so many times before: Eat better and exercise.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:26 PM   #7  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I used to tell people who asked that I had taken up running at the gym....(which was true also)...and everyone looked horrified at the thought of doing that themselves and never asked me another question!
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #8  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
I used to tell people who asked that I had taken up running at the gym....(which was true also)...and everyone looked horrified at the thought of doing that themselves and never asked me another question!
Now that is funny!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote