Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-13-2015, 10:46 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

I'm still doing well. Last night I made a super healthy dinner (not sure how much food detail to go into here) and it tasted so good -- made me wonder why I tend to associate healthy food = blah and unhealthy food = delicious ...

I don't feel the need to rejoin OA right now ... I tried finding a good "home" meeting a few years ago, really didn't care for the people who were dominating the meetings I visited and I guess I'm not motivated enough when I'm not in a lot of emotional pain to drive a long way to find one. We'll see what happens in the future.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:58 AM   #17  
maintaining since 9/2013

Hi luckymommy, I've been wondering how you're doing! It's great to hear from you. Your foods are so similar to what I like! I wish there was a fix for the migraines & sleep--those are major stressors. Sleep is ok for me except when my cals or carbs--either one--are too low. I know what you mean re full addiction mode in the absence of stressors. Each time I think I've got it all under control, bam! Overall the best success I've had is avoiding sweets. Fruit does a good job of eliminating sugar cravings. I know there will be times when I slip, just as you described. Each time, though, I've learned a little more about what works and what are my vulnerabilities.

I've been doing a super low carb, low fat, low cal diet to get the lb creepage off. This time, though, I'm watching how my body feels and tweaking as necessary to avoid feeling draggy or deprived. There's no rush.

Yesterday was on plan, protein shake, protein chips, chicken salad, some veggies, an egg in the evening, some broth. Busy work day, and today jammed up with pre-vacation chores. Weight down 4 lbs from official weigh in.

Last edited by mars735; 05-13-2015 at 12:02 PM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:00 AM   #18  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladynredd View Post
I'm still doing well. Last night I made a super healthy dinner (not sure how much food detail to go into here) and it tasted so good -- made me wonder why I tend to associate healthy food = blah and unhealthy food = delicious ...
Detail is fine imho, if it's helpful to post. For me, sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. What is hard for me is reading detailed 'confessions'. lol

EDIT Along those lines, ladynredd I'd sure love to hear what you made. I can seriously over eat even healthy food. I aim for food that is good but not "too good". It can be a thin line to walk, sometimes, but even over indulging in something like a special EVOO is easier on the bod than junk, and a lot more satisfying.

Last edited by mars735; 05-13-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:08 PM   #19  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

mars, thanks for the warm welcome. I really admire your commitment and determination. If only people knew how incredibly challenging a food addiction can be, there'd probably be an award show for that, kind of like the academy awards. I can picture it now...and for best female in the category of chocolate avoidance...it's...mars735!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 164/155/145

Height: 5'6"

mars735:

Thank you for starting this thread and to everyone that has posted. I've read so many good things here. I too, believe that something in our brain or chemistry causes the addiction. The difference between me and the alcoholic is I can have one drink and stop. For the alcoholic, one is never enough, they cannot stop. It's like an allergic reaction.

Even though I don't have a lot of weight to lose, I have struggled with food addictions for years. I am a binge eater. I cannot have just "one bite" or "one little piece" of cake. I want two huge pieces of cake and then I'll eat more for 2 or 3 more days.

I've always exercised, so I think that's how I managed not to gain weight over the years. I used to have 3 or 4 donuts for dinner instead of a well-balanced meal in order not to gain weight!

A few years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and gained 20 lbs. I was in pain and had no energy to exercise. The more depressed I got from gaining weight, the more I binged. It was a vicious cycle. I joined here in October, but left for a few months while vacationing. I couldn't stay on a healthy eating plan. It's been tough trying to lose and get back to regular exercising, even though my thyroid levels are normal again.

The good news: I recently did a 12-Day Detox because I really felt sluggish and bloated and felt that it could help me get back on track. I've done detoxes before and they work. This one was amazing! I had to eat very healthy while on the detox. No dairy, caffeine, sugar, flour, alcohol, or processed foods. They give you a list of all the foods you can eat. It was great! It included wild caught fish, free range chicken, vegetables, some fruits, nuts, grains. I stuck with it and lost 7 lbs. When the 12 days was up, my cravings were gone! I feel so clean and have continued eating healthy, um...up until yesterday.

I did slip off the wagon Monday. I was at the check stand at CVS Pharmacy. There was a display of chocolate covered almonds and candied almonds. It's as if the bag of almonds was talking to me, calling my name and saying "hey, remember me". "Just eat a few and save the rest for later". OMG....I fell for it and ate more than 1/2 the bag!

The good news is I hated how I felt and got back on the wagon the next day and am doing great again. I realized that if I slip, I don't have to stay "down" and keep doing it. I can keep moving forward. I still don't have the cravings. I think maybe on Monday I was lonely and wanted some comfort food. I know I don't want that stuff in my body because it makes me feel like crap. I'm also working on healing my thyroid, so I have to avoid all those processed foods, sugar, alcohol, and caffeine. My health is important to me!

On a side note: I know some people think we should be able to eat whatever we want, but we are all different. My body and mind don't feel well when I eat chemicals, additives, too much sugar, etc. If I was in an abusive relationship that I KNOW hurts me physically and emotionally, but I really, really "missed him". Would I allow myself to visit him just for a few minutes, or just one time, since I still "love" him. NO! If it's not good for me, I cannot do it, whether it's toxic foods or toxic relationships!

Thanks everyone, it really helps to have support.
AshliRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:21 AM   #21  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I can picture it now...and for best female in the category of chocolate avoidance...it's...mars735!
luckymommy More like Best Intention for chocolate avoidance My last experiment was having 'just one' artificially sweetened hot chocolate packet per day (protein drink).... Not gonna do that again. I'm glad you are posting--I've missed reading you on 3FC.

AshliRose to the thread!
I'm so glad to hear your thyroid is better. And, It sounds like the detoxes work well for you. Way to go with the healthy weight loss! Was it hard to kick non-food things like caffeine? Are there herbs involved or is it the list foods only?

Congrats for getting on track and not letting the nuts derail you! There are so many times in a day when tempting food appears from out of the blue, & those unexpected encounters sure challenge the best of intentions. Speaking for myself, I would be really pleased to recognize the feeling state of loneliness & wanting comfort. I find that food can fill a sense of longing. My goal is recognize the feeling, first in hindsight & then in the moment. Once I do that, I think I can make more of a choice not to listen to "feed me." Also to aim for enough time for myself, even time to just move through the day at a relaxed pace without the feeling of too many things to do.

I'm not sure how to rehearse for surprises. Curious what others do.

Your words totally resonate about wanting more more more when you have something like cake, and losing the craving when you abstain. I read a book called The End of Overeating where he talks about how some foods in some people can be stimulating instead of satisfying. The food industry spends a lot of time & effort creating foods that do this. I find that fact to be empowering--lets me know I have to strategize. There's necessarily a lot of trial and error, but it's all information!

I agree with you 100% about not feeling like we somehow ought to be eating any & all foods, though I understand that for some, restricting a food may trigger them to binge. I love your analogy of a toxic relationship.

As for exercise, I'm also struggling to get back into it. I spend too much time on the computer and then feel I don't have enough free time to go to the gym or outside for a walk, or even some ab work on the floor. I'll start if you will

Hope you'll keep us posted!

Last edited by mars735; 05-14-2015 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:35 AM   #22  
maintaining since 9/2013

Here's today's check in since my quick getaway starts early tomorrow.
B protein shake/coffee, roasted veggies
L salad, veggies, chicken, evoo
Snacky day: protein chips, Quest bar
D Whole Foods low carb broccoli & beef, buffalo chicken salad

I will be thinking of my felllow food addicts and drawing strength from our numbers--we are not alone. Have a great weekend!

Last edited by mars735; 05-14-2015 at 01:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #23  

AshliRose to the thread!
I'm so glad to hear your thyroid is better. And, It sounds like the detoxes work well for you. Way to go with the healthy weight loss! Was it hard to kick non-food things like caffeine? Are there herbs involved or is it the list foods only?

Thanks for your reply mars 735! This thread is really helpful and hopeful!

To answer your question above. It really wasn't difficult kicking caffeine. I couldn't drink coffee, but I could have green tea. Now I'm still drinking that and love it! Even stopping alcohol wasn't too tough, because I felt so much better from not having it. All spices and herbs are greatly encouraged, so food doesn't have to be bland. In fact, I've been eating some very tasty meals! My salads had lemon juice, olive oil, and spices! I did a lot of sauteed onions, bell peppers, broccoli, swiss chard with eggs or chicken. Or the same veggies with kamut & spaghetti sauce! Oh and cayenne pepper in a lot of my meals for extra spice!
Old 05-17-2015, 12:46 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/125

Just checking in. I've had a miserable head cold the last several days ... sinus headache was particularly bad Saturday so I didn't get much done since it was hard to focus my eyes! Since we were out of almost everything healthy I did force myself to do grocery shopping -- took DH to drive the car and it's amazing how much more ends up in the cart with him in tow! He seems incapable of following a list. I did have him put back a couple of his selections that were just TOO unhealthy so although we bought a lot, most of it is stuff I can eat too.

Mars I looked back at my food diary to see what "healthy meal" I was referring to in an earlier post. Basically I stir fried half a head of cabbage, an onion, a few stalks of celery, a couple sliced carrots, a big can of stewed tomatoes and a drained can of kidney beans together, then added 1/4 lb. of very lean ground beef (93%) that I had browned. When I dish it up I add some red pepper flakes to my serving since I like it a little spicy and DH does not. Very tasty and it makes a bunch.
ladynredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #25  

I was happy to read all of the comments regarding food as any other addiction. I am coming to a place where I believe that this is true. We need food to live, but not junk food- in fact junk food affects us just like other detrimental addictions- it shortens our life and lowers our vitality. I want to try to give up foods with added and artificial sugars for the rest of this month and 1. See how difficult it is 2. See what type of a difference it will make in my life. When I am having a strong craving I will try to come onto this site to talk and understand what is going on. I truly do believe this is a real addiction that must be overcome through deliberate effort.
compass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 215/173.2/125

Height: 5'2

I'm not new to 3FC, but I had lost 80-something pounds in 2011-2012 only to gain it back! I am definitely a food addict! My foods of choice are sugar, sugar, and sugar! Cookies...Candies..Icecream...Cokes! I can't portion cokes so I completely off of them and cut my sweet intake down when dieting! Hopefully I can get his weight off again and keep it off. I swear maintaining is harder than losing!
Nicholsfamily1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:49 AM   #27  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Hey there familiar peeps and lovely new people. I'm back after an online hiatus when some things got tough at home, but I'm still plugging along as usual.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Glad to read the updates on everyone, and happy to get to know the new people!

Sending everyone hugs, I'll post more later, I just wanted to jump in to say "HI!" when I saw Mars had the new thread over here.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 05-18-2015 at 10:49 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:29 AM   #28  

Compass1:
Loved what you said about fast foods! I agree. I can usually avoid those unroll I see those fast food commercials over & over. Pretty soon it's so engrained in my brain & I just have to have it. So now I just don't watch those commercials, because the addiction is insidious! Willpower alone cannot help. I have to know what my triggers are.

Nicholsfamily1987:
Welcome back! You can do it with the help & support of everyone here. Also learning from how you gained the weight back & being proactive. I've lost & gained a few times too, but I've learned from it. For me it has to be a self-love mindset. Putting foods in my body that are good for me & nourishing. I only have one body in this lifetime so how do I want to treat it? Chemicals, nicotine, alcohol? Not only that, but I'm getting addicted to how good I feel when I make healthy choices. It's not worth it anymore to eat all that sugar & feel like crap!

Mrs Snark:
So glad you're back! I was gone a few months too & came back about a month ago. I thought about you & wondered how you were doing. You were always such a great support!
Old 05-19-2015, 08:18 AM   #29  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladynredd View Post
Just checking in. I've had a miserable head cold the last several days ... sinus headache was particularly bad Saturday so I didn't get much done since it was hard to focus my eyes! Since we were out of almost everything healthy I did force myself to do grocery shopping -- took DH to drive the car and it's amazing how much more ends up in the cart with him in tow! He seems incapable of following a list. I did have him put back a couple of his selections that were just TOO unhealthy so although we bought a lot, most of it is stuff I can eat too.

Mars I looked back at my food diary to see what "healthy meal" I was referring to in an earlier post. Basically I stir fried half a head of cabbage, an onion, a few stalks of celery, a couple sliced carrots, a big can of stewed tomatoes and a drained can of kidney beans together, then added 1/4 lb. of very lean ground beef (93%) that I had browned. When I dish it up I add some red pepper flakes to my serving since I like it a little spicy and DH does not. Very tasty and it makes a bunch.
Thanks--that sounds soooo good! Good on you for maintaining the healthier shopping list! It would be so easy to let those other things stay there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compass1 View Post
I was happy to read all of the comments regarding food as any other addiction. I am coming to a place where I believe that this is true. We need food to live, but not junk food- in fact junk food affects us just like other detrimental addictions- it shortens our life and lowers our vitality. I want to try to give up foods with added and artificial sugars for the rest of this month and 1. See how difficult it is 2. See what type of a difference it will make in my life. When I am having a strong craving I will try to come onto this site to talk and understand what is going on. I truly do believe this is a real addiction that must be overcome through deliberate effort.
compass1 Same here. I look forward to your posts. This is also my dilemma...cutting out sugar works until I get a craving. So far I can distract myself, eat something else that is not junk, and come to this site. I'm also finding guided affirmation audio to be helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholsfamily1987 View Post
I'm not new to 3FC, but I had lost 80-something pounds in 2011-2012 only to gain it back! I am definitely a food addict! My foods of choice are sugar, sugar, and sugar! Cookies...Candies..Icecream...Cokes! I can't portion cokes so I completely off of them and cut my sweet intake down when dieting! Hopefully I can get his weight off again and keep it off. I swear maintaining is harder than losing!
Nicholsfamily Wow, congrats on 80 lbs wt loss. You can do it again, and use what you've learned going forward. It's so true that maintaining is harder! Not that dieting is easy, but we have an endpoint, at least, and more structure.

A nutritionist told me that our brains are wired to load up on quick energy like sweets after a diet--they don't know we were purposely limiting food and are trying to ensure our survival in the next 'famine'. When I heard this, I found it much easier to experience the cravings for sweets without giving in to them. Keep us posted!

AshliRose & Mrs Snark

Good Morning All,
Back from vacation...It's so much easier to eat well when there is no schedule, no obligation, sigh.....I did not stick to my ketogenic diet but ate when I was hungry, nothing else. I enjoyed small servings of sweets twice...did not feel a strong urge to inhale large quantities as I would feel if I were in my normal routine (though the thought crossed my mind ).

Having the luxury of time, to slow things down really helped. We'll see how it goes today, back in rush rush rush mode....Goal is to make sure to have plenty of healthy food so I am not ravenous by the end of the day.

Last edited by mars735; 05-19-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:29 AM   #30  
maintaining since 9/2013

Yesterday's food:
B eggs/Bubbie's sauerkraut, protein shake w coffee
L salad w vegs, chicken, evoo
D turkey chili, broccoli
S soynuts, protein chips, red bell pepper slices
2 L Republic of Tea orange, ginger, mint with a little stevia

5000 steps