Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 02:04 PM   #16  

Peek: Waki weekie meatballs? Okey dokey! Sounds like something Don Ho's wife might make! Do you know who Don Ho is or is my joke completely lost?

Missy: Ok, take it easy on the old lady, she thought she was seeing things! lol Just kidding. Have done it before myself. I can just see you with that little baby syringe like a little bird......

Lori: Nice to see you here. Our only rule is NO COMPLAINING! We are here for encouragement and comfort, but I didn't want everyone sitting around having pity parties. Problems we can solve! As for online romance, I am with Peek. Be careful. Not everything is always as it seems.

Well, I just came upstairs to check my e-mail. I need to finish up my laundry and get it put away before dh gets home. He may need someone to take care of his bug bites......... Hey, old does not mean DEAD!

Faye
Old 06-10-2003, 02:41 PM   #17  
Soon-to-be Sexy Lady

OK ladies, sorry for that second post mixup...just trying to keep ya'll on your toes!

Lori ~ Let me first say nice to meet you! I too am from PA, Reading if you ever heard of that. It's about an hour west of Philly. "The Outlet Capital of the World." And home of the Reading Railroad from Monopoly! Anyway, just wanted to say that your tips are AWESOME!!! I am headed over to fitday for that food diary right after I post! I just need someone to review it and yell at me when I stray now, LOL. I have a question for ya too...I was interested in doing freelance journalism myself and was wondering if you could offer me some tips on how to get started in the biz? I currently work in advertising, but I'm looking to expand my portfolio and such and I do have an english BA, so...that should be worth something!

Faye ~ I Know who Don Ho is, so I'm thinking that Peek will too. Then again I do have an uncanny knowledge of "old-school" stuff. I am a Frank Sinatra convert even. My dad's endless hours of records, tapes and now CDs (YAY Dad for moving into the 21st century!!!) has gotten me used to old blue eyes.

My parents are on the older side, which can be good and bad. My Dad is...69 and my mom is 66, kinda old for a 25 year old, but...hey, why not? My mom is proof that a woman can have a c hild in her 40's and she'll turn out (mostly) normal. But I worry sometimes that they won't be around for my "milestones" like they were for my sister. That's why I gotta whip em into shape and keep on em. hahahah!

Anywho...I'm back to work, today is a bear of a day. Blech!

Love you girls!
Missy
Old 06-10-2003, 04:38 PM   #18  

Faye: hahaha, yes I know who Don is....you crack me up. And the waki weeki (I'm sure it's spelled wrong) meatballs are basically just your regular old meatball recipe smothered in some homemade sweet and sour sauce. Lip smaking good. They smell scrumptious, can't wait for dinner.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:19 PM   #19  

Talking Is it Time for Bed Yet??

Afternoon Gals! I see that posting continues to be steady!

Faye: 30" of rain so far! That's alot. Guess you don't have to worry about drought.

I saw that about that actor on Jag. Very sad indeed

Missy: about your little kiddy medicine!! At least you like the taste of it :

Sounds like we all share the boredom eating. Such a hard habit to break!

In answer to your question, I do think that pedometers are worth it. They really help you to see if you are getting enough movement in. Often times, we THINK we are getting all kinds of activity in and it isn't what we think. Kinda like underestimating our food intake! It is also fun to see if you can add on to what your normal activity level is. I do not know exactly how Leslie comes up with how far a distance her walks are. But, with a pedometer, everyone is going to be different. That is why you have to program your height, weight, and stride length into it. You can set it to calculate miles or steps. Mine is on steps as I wanted to go by what the recommendation is, which is 10,000 steps per day. I figure that is easiest. Don't let that guy make you feel like your workout is not valuable or worthwhile!! These tapes are supposed to be 15 minute miles, which is very good. ANY workout is good, so just ignore him and focus on your goals

Lori: Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself My avator is a picture of my very spoiled cat, It is hard NOT to spoil them, isn't it!!

Sounds like you have a busy life going. How long have you done modeling? Do you enjoy it??

I am going to check out the Fitday site you mentioned. I post alot in my journal with the 3fc site, but I would like to check out Fitday to see what that is all about as well.

You are doing awesome with losing!! Down 35 lbs. since March!! Way to go You should be proud of yourself

Peek: I agree with you about being careful with people online. Unfortunately, I have been burned too many times by people who turn out to be nut jobs, I can't believe how many mean people there are in this world with some serious problems!! Seriously. It blows me away.

I am sorry about your husband's grandmother. My grandmother passed away 3 years ago next month. She also had alzheimer's. It was a very hard time for our family. I was very close to my grandmother growing up. She started getting the first symptoms when we were teenagers. She went for quite some time with it. I was surprised. She, of course, didn't know any of us--not even my dad, her son--when she went. So sad I miss her alot. Does she know your hubby, or anyone else anymore?

How is Alexis feeling?? I hope she is better now! And I hope that YOU don't catch it!!

Enjoy your meatballs

My day's eats so far:

breakfast:

1 cup decaf coffee, black
1 pkg. cinnamon instant oatmeal

lunch:

turkey sandwich with lettuce, green pepper, onion, tomato, pickle, lowfat swiss and mayo
lime seltzer water

peach

glass of low sodium v-8 juice

And as always, lots of water

It is just me, so I am having a frozen mac & cheese dinner tonight. That will be my indulgence for the day.

Enjoy the evening everyone!

Hugs
Old 06-10-2003, 05:28 PM   #20  

The best sweet and sour meatballs I have ever had are so incredibly easy it is sinful. You buy the frozen meatballs, in a crockpot you combine a jar of grape jelly and a jar of chili sauce and cook until jelly is "melted" then stir in your meatballs and let them cook for at least a couple hours. I have made them for every event (graduations, birthday parties etc) and they always end up getting eaten. It sounds gross, but I guarantee you everyone will want the recipe. The first time I tried them I thought my sister was loose a screw when she told me what was in them.

I feel redeemed now that my younger compadres know who Don Ho is. By the way Michelle, I have a girlfriend who is an only child and her mom had her in her middle to late 40's. Her dad on the day she was born bought her mom a rose. Every year until his death about 5 years ago she got a bouquet of roses on my girlfriend's birthday, the number being my girlfriend's age! Isn't that cool!

Now as to music, this old chick LOVES swing music especially Glenn Miller. I am also a huge fan of Neil Diamond, Frank Valli and the Four Seasons, B J Thomas, BB King (hey you have to be where I live!), Tom Jones, Patsy Cline, and Glen Campbell. How do you like that for eclectic? My husband thinks I am nuts, but what does he know. His idea of music excitement is Lorretta Lynn! I also love gospel music, but the old stuff not that new garbage that sounds like INSYNC wannabes.

Well, dh is doing supper so I guess I should go down and see if he needs any help.

Faye
Old 06-10-2003, 06:21 PM   #21  

Hey Faye: Don't knock your hubby loving music by Lorretta Lynn!!! I love her, and I love......Patsy Cline, George Jones, Hank Williams Sr and Jr, Johnny Paycheck, and the list goes on, as well as a lot of the current stars, my favorite music is Country!!! I do like Gospil and classical though when I am in the mood. I also like the what they call old rock now, you know from the 80's...

Tootles,
peek
Old 06-10-2003, 06:44 PM   #22  

Red face Love Neil Diamond

Just wanted to jump in on the music topic and say that I LOVE Neil Diamond, Faye!! I went to his concert when I was 18 or 19 with a group of friends. Wow! Does he ever put on a great show I like alot of different types and artists, but my favorite is Celine Dion. You either love her or hate her, but I adore her. She has such a beautiful voice. The latest cd that I bought was Kelly Clarkson's....you know, American Idol winner. I admit it! I watched it and she has a fabulous voice. This is the first season's winner. I really like her cd. Just about every song, which is surprising.

Peek: I am a fan of 80's rock as well. But, we grew up with that, so not surprising REO Speedwagon, Def Leopard, Queen, Led Zepplin, etc., etc......brings back memories........
Old 06-10-2003, 11:08 PM   #23  

Hi again all!

Aww that is so sweet that you all are worried about me meeting Brian . Heaven knows, I've come across a lot of crazies in my lifetime; therefore, I insisted on phone conversations before meeting. Needless to say, I had some giant phone bills for a while And for meeting, I am going to meet him at Greater Pitt Airport--and he will be staying at a hotel about a mile from where I live (I have a rule of no one I don't know well staying at the house)--such a little gentleman

Anyway, as for getting started in freelancing, I just started by contacting local news stations and printed media, either by email, telephone and/or letter of proposal with samples of my work. Usually when one or two of my articles got out, I was able to build a better resume.

Oh cats are easy to spoil; my little furchildren have their very own website Sometimes I think they eat better than I do!
Old 06-11-2003, 07:36 AM   #24  

Hi girls,
I've got just a minute to post. I have to get my butt to work and make sure that everything to my knowledge is in order. I have to meet with the accountant again today to go over the books to start the new company. If I make it through this change over with my boss I will make it through anything. I love her dearly, but sometimes I wonder where her brain is? Oh well, I only work there....

Food was okay yesterday, I don't think I blew it too bad, I did have a no-no snack, but well today is a new day and thats how I will treat it.

I hope you all are waking to a beutiful day. Today we are to have sun and thunder showers? So far it's beautiful out.
I'm off now, I hope to check in later after my meetings.

Hugs,
PEEK
Old 06-11-2003, 07:37 AM   #25  

WEDNESDAY: Wednesday is our woe day. Anybody having difficulties or a need to spout off, today is the day

I think my woe today is trying to deal with people that are discouragers instead of encouragers. They tell you what you should do, they map it all out for you, you always seem to be doing the wrong things, etc. For example, I would tell them about my water aerobics and what I am doing they tell you what you are doing wrong, how to do it better, that you should increase it, whatever. I have someone in mind about this, but it is a case where I can't tell this person to mind their own business because of what they would do and it would be detrimental to me personally. That is why this site is SOOOO important. I want a place to come to knowing that not only what I do but others do counts for the good! You gals are great at encouraging!

Peek: All I can say God help me if 80's music is OLD rock n roll! Our oldies channel here was replaced by this black gospel channel and it was the only one in this huge metropolitan area. It is either black music, country, or the new stuff. That's it period! I found a channel, but it is another state and so it kind of comes in and then doesn't in the car and I can't get it in the house at all! I am not a fan of today's country music though I like Martina Mcbride a lot. I have been a fan of Steve Wariner (he is from my home state for one thing) and years ago he had a hit called "Kansas City Lights" about a sailor out to sea that really made me a fan. He is one great guitar player. I like harmony music so the older country groups like the Statlers I like because I sing harmony with them. I am one of those grew up singing in church girls and so I sing all the time! I also whistle! Drives people nuts, but dh God Bless him, never says a word.

Michelle: It amazes me that Neil Diamond still sells out, but I have yet to be able to get tickets to any concert and that is trying a few months in advance. Celine Dion has a beautiful voice and her music is nice.

My problem is if you listen to the new music, everyone sounds alike. All the boy groups like INSYNC and the like, girls like Miss show every piece of skin I have Brittany, there is nothing new about any of them. I did an experiment when we went on vacation and would listen to one song on the radio in the car and scan to the next station. I kept finding they ALL had the same basic beat to their song over and over. Something distinctive (without the filth) would be nice to hear.

I had a worse than lousy program day yesterday so probably gained a lb. Happens sometimes, and I never worry about it. Just have to get back up and get with it today.

I hate getting up this early, makes the day so darn long! More chances to jump off the ole program! I probably should clean house again today so maybe I will do that.

I will talk to everyone later!

Faye
Old 06-11-2003, 10:26 AM   #26  
Soon-to-be Sexy Lady

Hey girlies,
How are all my sexy, hot ladies doing today???

I'm OK. LOL After an intro like that, you'd t hink I'd be bursting with enthusiasm. But I kinda disappointed myself last night. I had a SUPER OP day...stayed on lik 1400 cal and such, did my walking and EVERYTHING, then after I had my dessert (3 sliced nectarines)...for some reason, the freakin' cheesecake in my freezer made me eat it!!! GRRRR!!!! I felt really bad about it afterwards and really guilty, which is exactly what I don't want to do. I don't know why I ate it, no I lie, I DO know why I ate it...and it's because I told myself I couldn't! I know today is a new day, but I'm just really annoyed with myself for that, ya know? But otherwise, I did awesome yesterday...1400cal for a whole day seems pretty good to me. I really like that fitday website, it was cool...and like I said, I'll focus on the positives and I sneaked a peek at my weight this AM and was at 144lbs. so I did lose, but call me crazy, I t hink it'll be back on by tonight. Oh well. NEW DAY, NEW DAY, NEW DAY...LOL

Later gators,
Missy
Old 06-11-2003, 12:07 PM   #27  
Soon-to-be Sexy Lady

OK thought...I was just logging stuff on fitday and I think something is fishy with that site. I added tea and it said tea has like 780 calories. OK maybe that's accurate (and sweetened with sugar)..but seems high. Then I checked thin crust cheese pizza and it says it has 11 calories. There is NO way pizza has that few calories, I know it's not that bad for you and all, but...I don't think I buy that!

Lori, do you have similar experiences? Other things seemed really off to me as well about this site..I'm not quite sure.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:33 PM   #28  

Yes...when I started using Fitday, I got the same strange totals, then realized what was happening--the default measurements were going on my totals; all I had to do was either change to the exact (or near exact) measurement that I ate/drank, and if it wasn't on there, I put in "No measurement specified" and clicked "Save Changes" Then I got a more realistic reading on what I ate that day.

The same happened with the activity--no way could I have burned 30 calories for a 30 minute walk --turns out I had to go back and type in the actual minutes and click Save Changes again.

Fitday can be goofy at first, but once one figures it out, it can be a lifesaver!

Yesterday, I only ate 1177 calories--but it felt like more than that and I wasn't starving like I have in the past!
Old 06-11-2003, 03:23 PM   #29  

Hi there my lovies, I see I did not miss to much today. Are we all having a lax day from the computer?

I did great with the accountant, only needed to change like 3 things and that was it. **sighs relief**

But, I was so busy all day with other stuff. Finally 2:00 came and my day was ended!!! I ran in the store picked a few things up, seems like I'm always at the store. We are always running out of milk or bread or something. Now, I'm home all comfy in my computer chair (actually, if I can get this damned bra off and let the babies loose I will be all comfy!!) Did I make you laugh???? I hate wearing a bra when I'm home, and if I know I'm not having company off that baby comes!!! Hubby loves it.... .

My eatting is going great sofar, but gosh that bag of chips is just calling my name??? It would be okay if I could just eat a serving and not almost the whole darn bag.

I had the same problems with fitday and have only used it a couple of times, I'm headed over there later to maybe check it out.

Oh pooh, the kids just got home and I can't take my bra off cause we have Family night for Kindergarten tonight at 6:30. thats my woe of the day....

Tootles,
Peek
Old 06-11-2003, 04:44 PM   #30  
Soon-to-be Sexy Lady

Lori ~ well I tried doing the serving and what not adjustments at fitday...still doesn't seem right. Like I said that seems like an AWFUL lot for tea and pizza...but maybe it's just a wakeup call for my caloric intake. Still a cool site.

Peek ~ OMG I feel exactly the same way about the bra situation, I feel your pain.

OH well, I'm off for pizza night...2 slices of cheese for me! And I'm walking to get it and walking back. LOL So It's the pizza diet...ala Jared and his Subway diet.
Closed Thread