Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #1  
Trying my best

S/C/G: 324/250/150

Height: 5'8"

Default How do I stop adding salt to my food?

Hello, my name is Kristy and I'm a salt addict.

Yes, it's a sad fact that I have always loved salt added to my food.
Forget sweets, I'll take the salty stuff any day!

I have tried not adding salt to things and it's just so bland that I
really don't enjoy it at all. I've also tried adding more pepper or spices
instead but it's always missing that one thing... hmmm I wonder what that
one thing could be... could it be sodium?!?!?!

I've also tried using sea salt, as they say you will add less of it
because it's more potent. Not. I add just the same amount.

And I bet I have major water retention because of this.
Good thing I drink 4 litres of water a day or I would really be in trouble.

Does anyone else have this addiction? Have you overcome it? HOW?

Have a great day, everyone
Kristeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Is there a reason you need to cut down on salt? If you don't have any BP issues, there may not be a reason for you to cut it out.

If you are using it regularly, it shouldn't effect your weight - you might temporarily drop if you stopped using it, but it's only water and won't make a difference in the long run.

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Cold turkey. Once you've gone a bit without added salt, your tastebuds will adjust.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

There are substitutes for salt. One in particular is called "No Salt". I wouldn't have ever heard of it except my dad had a heart attack a year or 2 ago, and I was always concerned about his salt intake. We have heart disease in our family and he is overweight. After his heart attack I (without him OR my mom knowing) switched the salt in the salt shaker from "normal" salt to No Salt. They haven't noticed haha. Maybe try that?

I don't like salt. I never ever add ti to anything and prefer to eat foods and prepared dishes with the least amount as I can. I don't know why I've just always been like this. Haven't had a craving for sweets either.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #5  
Train Insane

S/C/G: 191/151/135

I think cold turkey is your best bet. You have to retrain your taste buds.
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #6  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I really enjoy using salt in my food. I don't worry about adding salt when I cook any more because I stopped eating nearly all processed food. I found that processed food and eating out had more salt than anything I added to my food. I get unsalted butter, I don't eat breads or snack foods, I don't go out much. If I have a craving for beef jerky, I go ahead and eat it because it's not something I have every month.

Another trick I have used is to measure out how much salt I intend to use in a day ahead of time, into a separate container. We're told that we should only have about a teaspoon of salt per day. So I don't salt something until after I cook it, just before I eat it. That's when it counts the most to me.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:36 PM   #7  
Natasha

S/C/G: 335/272.2/250

Height: 5'3"

I use NuSalt or none at all. I try other flavor like lime to my food. My dad has HBP so I have learned to tone it down. And since I have heavy myself I have learned to watch it. Although when its TOM I love me some Lime Chips with Pickles.
ichoose2believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #8  
Warrior Princess

I add salt to almost everything and still lost all of my excess weight, minus the temporary bloat I don't see an issue. I even recently read that the once thought correlation between salt and high BP is now false. Salt on with your bad self...

Everything in moderation.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #9  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Salt can be a tricky issue from a dietary standpoint... Especially since not everyone is a as sensitive to it as others... And definitely if you have certain underlying conditions than excess salt can be a "no-no"... But if we are just talking about cutting down from the "average" 5,000 to 6,000 mg's of sodium that many people consume a day to just the RDA's of 2,400 mg or 1,800 mg or less if you have certain underlying issues... Well that's pretty doable... Just by making some simple changes... It does take a bit of adjustment... and yes, certain things might taste a little bit bland at first, but your taste buds do adjust... It just takes a bit of time...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #10  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Is there a reason you're concerned about salt? For most folks it can be perfectly healthy - and if your diet isn't jammed full of processed foods you can add plenty of salt to your daily fare and not actually be that high up in sodium. Prepackaged and processed food products are where most of the sodium is at, not adding salt to a baked potato.

Last edited by Arctic Mama; 05-16-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I switched my husband to the half sodium type and he's never noticed the difference. Went half and half for awhile, then one quarter three quarters, and then just switched out to the half sodium and he had no clue. I did the same with milk. He drank whole milk so I started mixing it with 2% until I got him down to all 2% and he never even realized it.

He's the type that automatically resists any change to how he eats, so I fool him a bit and then announce later, after he's used to it, that we've made the switch. He grumbles a bit but there's not much he can say when he never noticed the difference.

You don't have to drop the salt overnight; simply change it out a little at a time for a half or no sodium alternative.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #12  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

I've always suspected that weight loss clinics tell you to limit your salt so that you won't retain water and, thus, you'll show a lower number on the scale when you go to weigh in. I figured that they do this for obvious reasons -- so that you don't have a water retention which makes it look like you haven't lost any fat -- or that you gained some -, when in reality you may have lost fat, but just gained water weight.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:23 PM   #13  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Japanese people live forever and their diet is very very very salty.

I put myself on a pointlessly low sodium diet a couple years back and now I'm oversensitive to salt and feel disgusting whenever I enjoy something perfectly healthy that is just a little salty. Don't do it!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:46 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Mama View Post
Is there a reason you're concerned about salt? For most folks it can be perfectly healthy - and if your diet isn't jammed full of processed foods you can add plenty of salt to your daily fare and not actually be that high up in sodium. Prepackaged and processed food products are where most of the sodium is at, not adding salt to a baked potato.
Yep!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #15  
Eat
Random Citizen

S/C/G: 254/237/210

You could do the Rapid Fat Loss diet which requires you to supplement with sodium, in the neighborhood of 3-5grams. You basically have to salt everything you eat to get that amount.
Eat is offline   Reply With Quote