Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #16  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/...w-sodium-diet/

Do you think you may have an adrenal problem? Although it sounds funny, and Eat mentioned it, I used to have crazy salt cravings, but I went to an herbalist that actually had me supplement with salt water every morning and eventually my salt cravings went away. I also started sleeping better.

I recommend Real Salt- http://realsalt.com/
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #17  
Trying my best

S/C/G: 324/250/150

Height: 5'8"

Good recommendations, guys!
My fingers actually bloat up when I eat too much salt...
I'm pretty sure my belly does too.
Kristeebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #18  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

You know what I have a problem with? Soy sauce. OMG the soy sauce. If there is Asian food, or a rice dish that doesn't have some sort of gravy or other kind of sauce on top of it, guess what IS going on top of it? SOY SAUCE. And I try to limit it to one or two tablespoons if I'm able to measure it, but if I'm at a restaurant? Oh lord at the soy sauce. So I totally get where you're coming from with extra salt.

Fortunately, I might have a little extra water weight at times but over all it hasn't really affected my weight. I'm with everyone else and this goes for everything else with me, if it doesn't cause you any problems, why worry about it? It's kind of like artificial sweeteners; yeah, they are bad for you, and excess salt isn't really good for you, but if you use them regularly and they aren't causing you any problems, then I say unless you START having problems or a doctor tells you to stop, I wouldn't worry about it. All it does is cause unnecessary stress.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #19  
Tel

S/C/G: 317/304.6/145

Height: 5'4"

I am right there with you about salt, except I'm not trying to limit it. In spite of my weight, my blood pressure has never been a problem for me and my doctor has never told me to limit my salt.

I grew up liking it because my father oversalted food that was cooked.
Telorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
Japanese people live forever and their diet is very very very salty.
Yeah, when I went to live in Japan I couldn't BELIEVE how salty everything tasted. Then I got used to it! As you say, there's nothing inherently bad about salt. People with high blood pressure are advised to keep their sodium content fairly low to avoid water retention (which requires the heart to work harder to move the extra liquid in the blood), but sodium does not CAUSE high blood pressure. (I place no limits on my use of salt, other than taste, and have a blood pressure of 110/65.)

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #21  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Sorry to go off topic... But actually, yesterday when I was cleaning out my inbox at work... I came across a study that apparently was attempting to link excessive sodium consumption with MS and auto immune disorders... I was actually, quite surprised since it was the first time that I heard of the research... and this thread made me wonder about it... Has anyone else heard of concerns like this when it comes to salt?
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:05 PM   #22  
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I came across a study that apparently was attempting to link excessive sodium consumption with MS and auto immune disorders... I was actually, quite surprised since it was the first time that I heard of the research... and this thread made me wonder about it... Has anyone else heard of concerns like this when it comes to salt?
90% of America would have MS.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #23  
Viva Cristo Rey!

Quote:
Salt can be a tricky issue from a dietary standpoint... Especially since not everyone is a as sensitive to it as others... And definitely if you have certain underlying conditions than excess salt can be a "no-no"... But if we are just talking about cutting down from the "average" 5,000 to 6,000 mg's of sodium that many people consume a day to just the RDA's of 2,400 mg or 1,800 mg or less if you have certain underlying issues... Well that's pretty doable... Just by making some simple changes... It does take a bit of adjustment... and yes, certain things might taste a little bit bland at first, but your taste buds do adjust... It just takes a bit of time...
^This^ maybe along with geoblewis's suggestion to measure out the salt for the day ahead of time so you know when you will be making a change. Baby steps.

The jury seems to be out on whether salt is all that harmful or not. It probably depends on your individual genetic makeup most of all.

One thing I am sooooo glad to see on this thread is that not everybody is saying to substitute all kinds of spices and things for salt. They are not the same, and many of us don't care for that many spices and/or get heartburn or other unwanted effects from them. I have a bland palate, and to me salt is salt, not a spice. If I want a particular spice, then yes, I will have it. But not as a substitute for salt.

I have always been a salt fiend and so was my dad; my mom nagged both of us about it for years. My dad got an illness that changed his tastebuds and he went off salt. Then I had the both of them nagging at me! LOL but I loved them and I know they were just wanting me to be healthy.

Moderation . . .
Skinnyminnie Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:41 AM   #24  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/05/...w-sodium-diet/

Do you think you may have an adrenal problem? Although it sounds funny, and Eat mentioned it, I used to have crazy salt cravings, but I went to an herbalist that actually had me supplement with salt water every morning and eventually my salt cravings went away. I also started sleeping better.

I recommend Real Salt- http://realsalt.com/
did the salt water supplement help with the adrenal problems or just the salt cravings itself?

I crave salt like crazy sometimes! in fact, I often order a side plate of fries for lunch with DH just so that I can eat the salt...I don't even need the fries LOL...and I've been known to frequently just eat salt from the salt shaker

does this mean I have some sort of adrenal problem? ive always wondered why I love salt so much....I don't need it to make my food taste better, I just want the salt lol
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #25  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Please read the actual research before you make quotes like this....
Alright people lets keep the claws in ...

I can't read the studies, because I don't have access. However, from reading an article about the studies it appears they did all these studies on mice. As far as I can tell there has been zero research done even in correlation or epidemiological studies let alone directly examining internal mechanisms with humans and human research is the next step towards the ~posssible~ establishment of a ~possible~ link of salt and autoimmune.

Conclusion from researchers involved "...it is clearly premature ... to state that dietary salt influences autoimmune disease in humans"

Cheif research officer for the national MS center says "More research is needed in the emerging area of how diet may influence MS."
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #26  
Empress/Queen

I just don't feel well if I eat much salt. I retain water & feel lethargic & bloated & can't taste the food. i never add salt to anything & don't eat over salted processed foods. Mrs. Dash & herbs of various kind take care of anything being bland.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote