Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #1  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

Default Altruistic Missions: Weight Loss Support and Nutrition Knowledge

While browsing on Pinterest today, I came across a clip for a documentary called, "Hungry for a Change."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MvAM97VDE8

I only watched the first 20 minutes and it didn't seem very pitchy, but JohnP pointed out that they had quite a number of...hm...questionable items in their store.

Which makes me wonder....How do you find purely altruistic missions? Have you found any? Do you recommend any?

(Of course- you can pick and pull helpful information probably from any source. In fact- "Hungry for Change" had a fascinating bit on MSG fat induced rats. Here is a study that uses that method: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14632317
To induce obesity in the rats- all they do is inject MSG into them, which is a bit scary considering how many of our processed foods contain MSG.

But P.S. From reviews, it does look like the documentary gets into juicing- and I prefer to eat my food, so I'll probably pass on buying the DVD. Just personal preference.)

But are there any sources that you find to be particularly objective and altruistic?

Last edited by lunarsongbird; 02-09-2013 at 08:02 PM.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #2  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

TakePart looks like it's largest mission is to promote knowledge- http://www.takepart.com/foodinc

Thoughts?
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #3  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Ohhhh I watched Hungry for Change on Netflix!! Very good. They do get all about the juicing at the end, but it's worth watching.

Last edited by Silverfire; 02-09-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #4  

I've seen hungry for change as well and thought it was good. I don't juice, but the rest of their information was very interesting.
TheLauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 AM   #5  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

You can watch the full movie online for free at their website (or I'm assuming it'd be for free). I tend to take documentaries like that with a grain of salt. I love watching them cause it revs me up to eat healthier, even if I'm not juicing.

Last edited by Daimere; 02-10-2013 at 12:41 AM.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Juicing isn't low glycemic....so I never touch the stuff. Interesting bit about the msg...(thankfully) not on the menu either.....
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #7  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarsongbird View Post
TakePart looks like it's largest mission is to promote knowledge- http://www.takepart.com/foodinc
For the most part - I'm a fan. They're not really about nutrition or weight loss but about a sustainable food supply. That said - it is a first world problem we're dealing with. If not for massive production of wheat (for example) many people in other parts of the world would be starving.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #8  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

I'm not know of any altruistic sources of really solid information but there is one guy I know who puts out extremely good information and while he has some books for sale he has hundreds of free articles. Unfortunately, he comes off as a jerk sometimes. I highly reccomend Lyle McDonald.

Also, Alan Aragon. Leigh Peele. Unfortunately both of these two have pay to play models. It's pretty dang cheap to get their information though. $10 a month subsciption model. I subbed to both for a while. Peele is more geared to women and fat loss. Aragon is very science oriented and more geared towards people who like to really dig deeper into the science.

As for MSG - you have to look at the information. I don't know that anyone would say MSG is good for us but the dose is critically important and relevant. Also, we're not rats. Lots of things apply to rats that don't apply to humans.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 427/412/240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfire View Post
Ohhhh I watched Hungry for Change on Netflix!! Very good. They do get all about the juicing at the end, but it's worth watching.
I've seen it too. I've incorporated juicing into my diet, but I can't ever see myself only drinking juice. It a lot of cases, its faster, more convenient, and good if you're on the go, but need to get something nutritious into your body.

I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water, but its definitely healthier than fast food if you know you're going to be out and about and don't want to not eat or eat unhealthy.
427pounder is offline   Reply With Quote