Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/150/125

Height: 5'3"

Default so frustrated and down after seeing the scale

I'm a new member, hi. Just want some encouragement.
I'm the heaviest I've ever been, and it seems like I keep gaining!
I've had a hard last year working and going to school. One day off a month, 70 hrs week. In 6 months I gained 20 lbs!! January 7 I finally weighed myself at 150. The next morning 148 so some water. Since that I've been watching what I eat (calories 1300-1800) but not exercising(though my job is moderately physical) I used to be vegetarian on this huge health kick but I've been busy and well you know how it goes lol. So today on the scale i was hoping like 147 to 150 ish range.... no
159!!
I know I can't be obsessed with the scale but ten pounds extra in 3 weeks??? I feel more flabby and my boobs are spilling out of my bra... I get paranoid after all this weight gain that its out of control or I have some weird disease that's gonna make me fat forever
I even feel bigger than when I started but idk if its in my head. I just feel sick and disappointed in myself
maudezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 229/see ticker/135

Height: 62 inches

Are you nearing TOM? You will gain water weight then so it may be a bit of that possibly as well?

Are you tracking everything you eat? Measuring your servings? (Not just eyeballing it?) What are you drinking during the day?

I know that "sick and disappointed" feeling. But luckily you are here and there is a lot of support! You can get back to where you were and we will be here cheering you on!
RavenWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174/145.6/130-117

Height: 5feet1

I am shorter than you but I gain a little on 1800 cals/day. Probably not that much though. Some of it must be water. I know gaining at 1800 doesn't make a lot of sense but I seem to have a low threshold and maybe you do too. It depends what you were averaging. It'll take some time to find out how much and how fast you are gonna lose at what calorie intake and it'll change. Be patient with yourself. You can do it!
Fluffypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 154/150/125

Being honest I havent logged all my alcohol. Now that I think about it I really need to drink less often and track the cals. Still don't think I drank enough to gain that much.
I quit birth control in December and I haven't had a period yet. I can feel the side effects like super dry skin hot flashes its a whole other thing.

The awesome thing is... march 2nd I'm going to quit school for a few months. I'm taking time off to earn money and to take a break. I only have 3 months left but I can't kill myself anymore. I rethought my priorities.
Last year was just... ****. A curse, really. one thing after another.... Probably a good movie. And I kept getting through one day at a time, because everyone told me to! Looking back I don't know how I did it! Hopefully gettin back my health will feel as good as much as giving it up felt bad.
maudezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #5  
MaryGee

Sounds like you've had a lot going on for a while - luckily March 2nd is just around the corner.

I think, based on your height, 1800 calories is too high to lose weight. You also mentioned that figure did not include alcohol - so you've got to consider that also.

Once you stop school in March, hopefully you'll have time to devote to your health. Determine how many calories you should be consuming. I use "the-calorie-counter" dot com to track my calories. I've been doing a lot of reading on these message boards to help me along. I don't follow any specific "diet plan" - I do my best to eat wisely. Let's face it, we know healthy foods.

Try not to be obsessive about it - we can drive ourselves crazy! Use common sense and you'll be losing the weight.

Keep coming here for support and information.
forreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #6  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Welcome, maudezilla! Our stats are really similar, and I eat between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. I allow myself a range since depending on how I'm feeling and what my activity level is. I measure and log everything - that's the only way I lose. Like you, I gain really easily.

It definitely sounds like you're dealing with some water weight, maybe related to going off the pill. I don't usually gain more than a lb. or 2 at TOM, but many women on here can gain 5-10.

Start tracking your weight daily and see what kind of fluctuations you're dealing with. And liquid calories count too, so whether it's alcohol, milk, soda, or juice, make sure to write it down.

Keep posting!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #7  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

TOM is such a jerk sometimes - not only does he make us gain water weight, want to eat all kinds of food, but then he makes us emotional about it! Seriously, dude - you can leave anytime now! LOL

Coming here to vent is a good start. I'm guessing you already feel a little better? We hear ya!!

You haven't gained 10lbs. Make an effort to drink a lot of water for the next few days and stay on plan and I bet at least half of that will be gone. AND - yes, log alcohol. Those calories can be the difference between losing and gaining! I'm (almost) to the point where I'm ready to say the calories aren't worth it. I've been trying to alternate a drink with a glass of water and back and forth when I go out and offering to be DD more often. (I'm an extremely responsible DD so when it's my turn, I am not even tempted.) And for me - when I drink it's an open license to strap on the junk food feed bag - so it's not even just the calories from alcohol but the food, too! <shakes head> Not good!

I love your last sentence! It will!!! You are just a few healthy choices away from feeling great again!!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #8  

Height: 5' 11"

Hey Maudezilla - sorry about your struggles this morning, it is amazing how upsetting a little number on a scale can be :::hugs:::

There are SO many things that contribute to weight loss and weight gain, and what it sounds like from your post is you aren't in a position where you can focus and identify them for you uniquely due to your other commitments/focuses. In addition to alcohol, there is salt intake, fat to protein to fiber, and sneaky sugars. There is TOM, and - don't want to scare you - but any possibility of pregnancy? Not to mention thyroid issues, diabetes, etc...

Not trying to scare you, but all of these things and their combinations can work on affecting what we see on the scale. It sounds like you only have a few more months of school and then can refocus on the weight. At that time, you can spend more trial/error time and maybe have a visit with a doctor to discuss things from the medical angle.

Until then, be gentle with yourself, acknowledge your stressors, and try to let them go. We all have times in our lives when we just can't focus on the weight stuff - and that's OK.

Stay engaged here, and we all are behind you 100%!
Ready2Lose2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #9  
Determined

S/C/G: 227/207/125

Height: 5' 4''

Alcohol makes me gain water weight like crazy. Also, alcoholic beverages are crazy high in calories so you do definitely have to count those. I only allow my self a few occasional (budgeted) glasses of red wine during my weight loss. When I get down to a normal weight, in addition to the occasional wine, I will only allow myself to have up to a couple of drinks all together on weekends only.
Devoncroix is offline   Reply With Quote